Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2441942 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9390 on: August 15, 2015, 10:27:51 AM »
I'm endlessly surprised when people remember something that I've mentioned once in some thread and mostly as an afterthought/an excuse for spamming. Forget-me-nots are bestest. :D
It's not my fault. I think so. I hope ::)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #9391 on: August 15, 2015, 11:06:36 AM »
IMPORTANT NOTICE

I finished A Dark Room.

Len is now a wild ninja in space.

This also marks the end of my addiction. No way am I replaying.

Edit: Also, attraction is ordering people around. Building a village. Killing off people who want to steal my stuff. Shooting cool laser guns. Raiding towns and villages and old haunted houses. Stealing alien tech.

It is fun. Maybe I should try Dwarf Fortress next...

Ah, I stopped somewhere around the part where I was gathering Tech-y stuff. Maybe I should continue... (but haha I'm already wasting enough time...)

I also tried Dwarf Fortress. I guess the fact that I play variants of Angband mean I'm already used to the not-quite-graphical interface, but the amount of micromanaging involved eventually got a little too overwhelming.

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #9392 on: August 15, 2015, 12:02:06 PM »
I also tried Dwarf Fortress. I guess the fact that I play variants of Angband mean I'm already used to the not-quite-graphical interface, but the amount of micromanaging involved eventually got a little too overwhelming.

If I remember correctly Dwarf Fortress has a pause function allowing you to issue orders without having to worry about rampaging elephants road rolling your poor little dorfs

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9393 on: August 15, 2015, 12:23:48 PM »
Oh yea.... stylus nibs... the other day I was trying to look at the one on mine and made things gloriously explode.

I should probably check to see if I have any spares around...
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Fenris

« Reply #9394 on: August 15, 2015, 01:21:39 PM »
If I remember correctly Dwarf Fortress has a pause function allowing you to issue orders without having to worry about rampaging elephants road rolling your poor little dorfs
It does, which is pretty good for when you are building larger constructions.

Had one world where almost everyone but goblins had been wiped out (my first fort in that world ended up getting the Monarch very early on, so ended up retiring that fort after it was reasonably self-sufficient because 40 dwarves with an aristocracy of ten is pretty challenging). The next fort I made in that world was in a pretty cold environment, so struggled with getting water, but got food and booze production up all right and discovered the place was insanely rich with minerals and metals, particularly gold. After outfitting my entire guard force with steel armour and weapons, and had enough traps to basically massacre anything short of a dragon, I decided to make a fitting monument to dwarf-kind. Namely, a golden statue of a dwarf reaching the max Z level with the entrance to my fort in between its legs. I like to imagine the immigrants saw the statue and just decided to go there.

Another thing from that was: the baroness I ended up getting seemed to have a huge thing for gauntles. She kept mandating gauntlet production, even after I had enough to outfit every dwarf in the fort with gauntlets (and, of course, banned their export). My chief engraver also seemed to have a thing for flies. The dining hall was full of depictions of them.

Sadoka

• Musician and Engineer
« Reply #9395 on: August 15, 2015, 07:39:02 PM »
Welp, I beat a dark room.  I didn't expect for there to be any sort of story, but it was quite enjoyable despite villages burning down and constantly collecting wood.  It was also much harder than I expected.  (It got easier once I realized I could "dual wield" each weapon at the same time)

I've also been reading up a little bit on dwarf fortress, with all the snippets of info cropping up here.  So, a few questions for Mr. Fenris here, and any other DF aficionados:
How true is it that each person/dwarf has a personality, and how deep does that really get?  And because of this, how much control do you really have over your group?
Native:   :usa:    |  Still Learning:   :germany:    |  Wishlist:   :norway:

Joined (and survived):   :chap4:
Survivor:   :chap5:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #9396 on: August 15, 2015, 08:16:51 PM »
I've also been reading up a little bit on dwarf fortress, with all the snippets of info cropping up here.  So, a few questions for Mr. Fenris here, and any other DF aficionados:
How true is it that each person/dwarf has a personality, and how deep does that really get?  And because of this, how much control do you really have over your group?

You have no control really, besides job designation and giving out orders to your dwarves to do stuff

And they all have basic personalities, which can change as time passes and stuff happens. They can grow insane. Really, really insane.

The game's pretty modular in every aspect so there's a lot of stuff that can happen, to individual dwarves and your fortress. Remember; If it can be carried, it can be used as a weapon. Even if it is a baby dorf.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #9397 on: August 16, 2015, 12:23:24 AM »
Welp, I stopped procrastinating and ended my A Dark Room game... which I totally could have done days ago when I got the spaceship. But of course I'd get attached to my town if I created it. I'm free! \o/

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #9398 on: August 16, 2015, 12:30:29 AM »
That's adorable!  It's also hilarious.

I think that exchange needs to be translated into rhyming German verse and sung at Oktoberfest.  Trink, brüderlein, trink!

Calling all Germans! Please do this! And in twenty years, I'll teach the boys the song they inadvertently made up  ;D
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Fenris

« Reply #9399 on: August 16, 2015, 03:28:20 AM »
Yeah, each dwarf does have a personality. They got likes/dislikes and various other aspects like being social or asocial, hardworking or lazy, law-abiding vs criminal tendencies etc. These can affect various things when it comes to the individual dwarf (a hard-working dwarf obviously being somewhat more efficient than a lazy one), but largely affects happiness and friendships. Dwarfs with similar personalities are more likely to become friends.

Personality in the game is also likes and dislikes. All dwarfs prefer certain types of colours, materials, foods and such. When they get those materials they like, they become happy. If they end up in a position of power, they might mandate the construction of more things they like (like my baroness with a real love of gauntlets). When making artifacts/engravings, dwarfs are also more likely to make it depict something they like or dislike, as well as historical events in the game world.

You mostly just control the dwarfs through job designations, yeah. Like, designate those areas to be mined, those trees to be felled, these workshops to be build and different workshops to build different things (eventually its better to just designate jobs 'centrally'). The dwarfs will do the jobs they are set to do (which you can customize, or it depends on their profession which largely depends on their skills).

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9400 on: August 16, 2015, 08:57:16 AM »
gonna go mushroom hunting in the forest today, wheeee ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
you'll know where to find me.

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #9401 on: August 16, 2015, 08:59:46 AM »

WHY YOU SO LUCKY?!
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9402 on: August 16, 2015, 09:09:16 AM »
you'll know where to find me.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #9403 on: August 16, 2015, 09:49:21 AM »

Make sure you don't eat any poisonous ones!

Funny story: Once I was talking a walk in a nature preserve with my family, and we see a young couple wandering through the tall grass and woodland off the trail. We ask them if they're lost, to which the man replies "Oh, no, no, we're amateur mycologists!" And the woman adds "today is the monthly mycologist club meeting". Well of course, my dad has to learn more. The couple was collecting mushrooms for the club, and when we went back to the preserve's information center, it was filled with mushrooms and people doing things with mushrooms. Identifying them, cooking them, even carving them! We were so intrigued that we ended going to the annual "Fungus Fest" that fall, which basically consisted of a huge room filled with every mushroom-based activity you can think of. It was very weird, but also a ton of fun :))
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9404 on: August 16, 2015, 09:54:37 AM »
I watched Mad Max for the first time tonight, in my house with the speakers and bass cranked so high the windows rattled a little.

Envy is me.

I can see how it was 100% Fimby endorsed  ;D

People keep saying that. I don't know what it means but thanks.