Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411089 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9045 on: August 05, 2015, 12:28:40 PM »
Meanwhile I'm approaching a Very Pressing Issue concerning my fingernails. I hate cutting them. Something about the feeling of clipping them, couldn't really explain what, is very uncomfortable. Sadly I also can't stand having long fingernails and in my case long means past my fingertips... I've always kept my nails trimmed short so I don't function well if I can feel them f.ex. touching the keyboard before my actual fingers do. Therefore my whole life is kind of divided between hating the feeling of having too long nails and hating the feeling of cutting them, with occasional moments of peace right after they're trimmed and I don't have to worry about them for a while. :P
... you could keep filing them short?

(Alternatively, hire a manicurist with ninjas-for-customers experience to do the cutting in your sleep? ;) )
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #9046 on: August 05, 2015, 12:48:34 PM »
I hate having long fingernails as well. This actually works out quite well for me because violists are not allowed to have long fingernails because it makes playing the instrument difficult (random fun fact of the day).

Many instruments have that rule. String instruments such as the viola, violin, and cello are alright - they only require one hand to be cut, so you can still easily play the mandolin, guitar, etc. with the other hand. Piano, on the other hand... well.

(For those curious - in piano playing, it has to do with the amount of pressure you can apply, and how you can apply it. Nails get in the way quite severely. With instruments such as the viola or the violin, it has less to do with the pressure and more with the accuracy. It is impossible to press down on a string accurately with long nails... and leads to much heartache when trying to get a clean sound, especially when it comes to string crossings.)

Canoeing is fun. Unless you canoe with my dad. Who likes going long, long distances. Against the current. In 30C weather. Ah, the memories... I recall there were many obnoxious motorboats, too. They liked coming as close as possible to the canoe, I suppose in order to see if it would capsize. Or to show off. Neither objectives were successful.
Am notified of private messages via email.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #9047 on: August 05, 2015, 01:01:14 PM »
Many instruments have that rule. String instruments such as the viola, violin, and cello are alright - they only require one hand to be cut, so you can still easily play the mandolin, guitar, etc. with the other hand. Piano, on the other hand... well.
String instruments are fine if your fretting hand has short nails and you're using a plectrum or bow (etc) but trying to fingerpick with long nails is no fun.
(for anyone curious, trying to fret strings with overly long nails just results in the nail hitting the fretboard before the string hits the frets, which totally kills the note. Not sure about fretless instruments, but I'd imagine the same applies)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #9048 on: August 05, 2015, 01:06:59 PM »
(for anyone curious, trying to fret strings with overly long nails just results in the nail hitting the fretboard before the string hits the frets, which totally kills the note. Not sure about fretless instruments, but I'd imagine the same applies)

Yeah it's the same, plus like Lenny said, it just makes it harder to get your finger in the right place. It also makes it nearly impossible to do vibrato, which is really important (especially when playing a non-fretted instrument). I used to have a stand partner who always insisted on wearing these really long fake nails and it drove me absolutely crazy because sometimes they would hit the strings or the fingerboard and make clicking noises.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9049 on: August 05, 2015, 01:36:17 PM »
Enjoy it while it lasts, it's been only salt water, soaked (but still somehow dry like desert sand) ship's biscuits and medicine-like rum here in the Admirality.

Today's (or rather tonight's) life experience: sleeping on a train is like sleeping on a rack next to a noisy microwave.

...I'll stock up on skittles.

Did you have a bed or a seat to sleep in? Last time I slept on a train (14 HOURS FROM KRISTIANSAND TO TRONDHEIM) the seat I was assigned was not fastened properly and tried to spin around like a carousel. But hey, free blankets!

Pffft, yeah, right. I imagine it is if you manage to stay in the canoe.
(There's a reason I've only ever been canoeing once.)
You're not thinking about kayaking, are you?
Fun fact #1: I have a sea kayaking license!
Fun fact #2: both math teachers at my last year at high school were also kayak instructors

Meanwhile I'm approaching a Very Pressing Issue concerning my fingernails. I hate cutting them. Something about the feeling of clipping them, couldn't really explain what, is very uncomfortable.
May I recommend compulsively biting your nails? Not to brag, but I have incredibly short nails and have not had them cut for about 15 years. Yep.
you'll know where to find me.

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #9050 on: August 05, 2015, 01:44:33 PM »
Time to go canoeing for the first time. (If I don't come back, you'll know...)
Whatever you do, DON'T STAND UP. And wear a life-jacket.
The rest is just icing on the cake.
Lake or river canoeing?
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #9051 on: August 05, 2015, 01:44:47 PM »
May I recommend compulsively biting your nails? Not to brag, but I have incredibly short nails and have not had them cut for about 15 years. Yep.

It took me 5 years to stop biting my nails and I still have relapses when I'm watching an intense movie or bored in class
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #9052 on: August 05, 2015, 02:43:31 PM »

You're not thinking about kayaking, are you?
Fun fact #1: I have a sea kayaking license!
Fun fact #2: both math teachers at my last year at high school were also kayak instructors

//busts in through a wall
DID SOMEBODY SAY KAYAKING I love kayaking it's so great and I've been kayaking for longer than I remember and I went kayaking for my birthday?? It was really cool and we kayaked through mangrove tunnels! It was AWESOME and sometimes I had to bend over flat and paddle like that to fit under the branches, but that just made it cooler when you got into the tiny nooks and crannies! I had a crab in my hair, that was interesting

^^I've been there!! Not taken by me BUT STILL! Normally the ceiling was a bit lower and the channel itself about 20cm wider but it was just so cool!! You could see straight down to the bottom. Everybody come to Florida I'll take you kayaking and it will be great
YEET

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9053 on: August 05, 2015, 02:59:12 PM »
Did you have a bed or a seat to sleep in? Last time I slept on a train (14 HOURS FROM KRISTIANSAND TO TRONDHEIM) the seat I was assigned was not fastened properly and tried to spin around like a carousel. But hey, free blankets! .

Nope, just a seat. But yes, free blanket.

May I recommend compulsively biting your nails?

In my case it's compulsively biting everything. Nails, pens, markers, knives...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:20:19 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Trinka

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • ☆Da Meme Queen☆
« Reply #9054 on: August 05, 2015, 03:06:04 PM »
//busts in through a wall
DID SOMEBODY SAY KAYAKING I love kayaking it's so great and I've been kayaking for longer than I remember and I went kayaking for my birthday?? It was really cool and we kayaked through mangrove tunnels! It was AWESOME and sometimes I had to bend over flat and paddle like that to fit under the branches, but that just made it cooler when you got into the tiny nooks and crannies! I had a crab in my hair, that was interesting

^^I've been there!! Not taken by me BUT STILL! Normally the ceiling was a bit lower and the channel itself about 20cm wider but it was just so cool!! You could see straight down to the bottom. Everybody come to Florida I'll take you kayaking and it will be great
YES. YES to kayaking, and to canoeing! Both are good fun, if you do it right. It's always more enjoyable to go upstream first (while you still have the energy), and then downstream on the way back. Always balance your weight properly with your buddy (ie. Heavier person in back, lighter in front, so you can ride over wave crests easier). OH. Something super important: if a wave comes (like from stupid evil motorboats), ALWAYS make sure you turn the bow of the boat TOWARDS the wave, and speed up to meet it. This way it floats under you: if it hits the side of the boat, it will push you off course towards the river bank or other boats (sometimes, if forecefull enough, it can even capsize you!)

All that aside, kayaking and canoeing are lots of fun! I've done kayaking more than canoeing (kayaking in Hawaii, Big Bear Lake, the California River Delta, and other places I can't remember) and (canoeing down the Colorado River, which you SHOULD NEVER do in the heat of the summer in Arizona: you walk 5 feet away from the water's edge, and you will feel that heat slap you in the face)

And to Curry: Does this mean I can now add Florida to a viable list of vacation options, with a local tour guide????
:hat:  :artd:  :book1+:  :chap6:  :chap7:  :chap8:  :chap9:  :chap10:  :betterhat:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9055 on: August 05, 2015, 03:10:06 PM »
aggressively posts random changes of subject twice in a row because I just found this out and it's AMAZING OH MY GOSH

Guys guys guys there's this drawing app that's basically like a fully-fledged drawing program like Photoshop or Sai (but from the screenshots I've seen it looks more like Photoshop) and I know you're thinking wow, okay, why is Curry blathering about this in the general discussion thread, there's an art program thread for that what are they talking about BUT THE THING IS IT'S A FULLY FLEDGED DRAWING PROGRAM FOR YOU TO DRAW WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT I THINK THAT'S PRETTY GREAT AND WE SHOULD ALL DO THIS TOGETHER!!

I just downloaded it and while I am very confused as to what's what, there's a chat and a lot of features and wow I'm just really excited this opens up so many doors wow

It works on windows, mac, and linux and I'm very excited!!!

There are more colors than shown, those are just the default swatches!! They have a color choosy thing that looks exactly like Sai's which is cool, and then the brushes/pen tools look absolutely LOVELY and I just tested out the size pen pressure thing and golly it's smoother than photoshop wow.

Also!!
YES. YES to kayaking, and to canoeing! Both are good fun, if you do it right. It's always more enjoyable to go upstream first (while you still have the energy), and then downstream on the way back. Always balance your weight properly with your buddy (ie. Heavier person in back, lighter in front, so you can ride over wave crests easier). OH. Something super important: if a wave comes (like from stupid evil motorboats), ALWAYS make sure you turn the bow of the boat TOWARDS the wave, and speed up to meet it. This way it floats under you: if it hits the side of the boat, it will push you off course towards the river bank or other boats (sometimes, if forecefull enough, it can even capsize you!)

All that aside, kayaking and canoeing are lots of fun! I've done kayaking more than canoeing (kayaking in Hawaii, Big Bear Lake, the California River Delta, and other places I can't remember) and (canoeing down the Colorado River, which you SHOULD NEVER do in the heat of the summer in Arizona: you walk 5 feet away from the water's edge, and you will feel that heat slap you in the face)

And to Curry: Does this mean I can now add Florida to a viable list of vacation options, with a local tour guide????
I'm personally a big fan of kayaking because then I know exactly what the kayak is doing because it's just me and I don't have to try and figure out what other person/people is/are doing and I can be as incoherent as needed B^)

And to Trinka: hoo hoo hoo, as long as it's not in the next two years (parentals not being okay with me meeting up from people on the internet and all), yell heah you can! As a Florida Native I know the best beaches and also which ones you really shouldn't be swimming in (or even thinking about swimming in >___> ) and also get a noice discount for Disney world, WOO
YEET

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #9056 on: August 05, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »
Guys guys guys there's this drawing app that's basically like a fully-fledged drawing program like Photoshop or Sai (but from the screenshots I've seen it looks more like Photoshop) and I know you're thinking wow, okay, why is Curry blathering about this in the general discussion thread, there's an art program thread for that what are they talking about BUT THE THING IS IT'S A FULLY FLEDGED DRAWING PROGRAM FOR YOU TO DRAW WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT I THINK THAT'S PRETTY GREAT AND WE SHOULD ALL DO THIS TOGETHER!!

Is it free?

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9057 on: August 05, 2015, 03:20:07 PM »
Is it free?

ENTIRELY FREE!!!
I actually have a session open right now! the session name is 'yell heah' and the password is 'noice'!! i think that's how you do these things but this is my First Time Trying it so y'know, let's see how this goes?

EDIT: i did a dumb and didn't have it actually open BUT NOW I DO!! ahahahahaha, smooth
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:32:52 PM by Curry »
YEET

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #9058 on: August 05, 2015, 03:51:42 PM »
ENTIRELY FREE!!!
I actually have a session open right now! the session name is 'yell heah' and the password is 'noice'!! i think that's how you do these things but this is my First Time Trying it so y'know, let's see how this goes?

EDIT: i did a dumb and didn't have it actually open BUT NOW I DO!! ahahahahaha, smooth

could you send me a pm with its name? I might be just tired but I cannot see how it is named up there .-.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #9059 on: August 05, 2015, 03:55:41 PM »
could you send me a pm with its name? I might be just tired but I cannot see how it is named up there .-.

It's Drawpile.