Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387627 times)

Raya

Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #810 on: October 26, 2014, 04:02:33 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I think I must be coming down with something, blargh. Nobody snog me for a while, alright? ;D

Went to the shelter today to see about adopting (what's involved, how much it costs etc). The rehoming fee for a dog is £70, which is understandable, but they're also charging £70 for a cat. What the actual hell. We were thinking of getting a pair of cats, so I asked if there was any price difference for inseparable pairs, but nope, it'd be £140 for both. £140 for two cats?! I know that adoption is the right thing to do, especially with so many animals needing a good home, but...stuff that, I'm not paying that obscene amount when you can pick up kittens for free. Eesh. I wouldn't mind paying a rehoming fee, but £70 is really just taking the mick.

They're usually pretty nice, but they always turn up when I'm in my pajamas, then either A. Insist on coming inside, or B. Awkwardly stare at my...t-shirt >:/ hmmm but that's basically describing all early visitors really u___u

Funniest encounter I had was when they showed up on my birthday. Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays, so I absolutely couldn't resist and opened the door.

JW: *holds up a copy of Watchtower magazine* Hello, we'd like to talk to you about the magazine, it says 'Death is No More', and-
Me: Excuse me, have you seen the cards in the window?
JW: ?
Me: It's actually my birthday today.
Jw: Oh...so this is a bad time then?
Me: Pretty much.
Mum: *yelling from another room* TELL THEM WE CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS TOO!

We've never had Jehovah's witnesses over here, thankfully.  I feel kind of bad about all the crap that they get but, at the same time, I have no patience for that sort of thing.  They show up at my door, I'm shutting it in their face.

Don't feel too bad, Jehovah's Witnesses are involved in some very bad stuff. Ostracising former members, forcing families to cut off contact with each other, all sorts. There was one horrible incident in the UK where a young woman started haemorrhaging when giving birth. A simple blood transfusion would have saved her life, but the Jehovah's Witnesses refused, even though she was unconscious and didn't get a choice. As a result she needlessly bled to death and left her newborn without a mother. There was a massive outcry over it, some even calling murder, but the Witnesses just went 'lol religious freedom', even though they let a young woman die when it could have been prevented. Horrible :(

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #811 on: October 26, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »
Don't feel too bad, Jehovah's Witnesses are involved in some very bad stuff. Ostracising former members, forcing families to cut off contact with each other, all sorts. There was one horrible incident in the UK where a young woman started haemorrhaging when giving birth. A simple blood transfusion would have saved her life, but the Jehovah's Witnesses refused, even though she was unconscious and didn't get a choice. As a result she needlessly bled to death and left her newborn without a mother. There was a massive outcry over it, some even calling murder, but the Witnesses just went 'lol religious freedom', even though they let a young woman die when it could have been prevented. Horrible :(

Presumably she decided to decline blood transfusion herself though, right? It's a stupid tradition, but saying that "the Jehovah's Witnesses refused" kind of over-victimises the person by ignoring her own agency in the matter. Then again I'm not familiar with the incident so what do I know.

victrixia

« Reply #812 on: October 26, 2014, 04:32:02 PM »
... I'll make a point of saying "at least it's not raining cats and dogs here, unlike right now in Finland" whenever applicable. >:D

It only works if it's someone famous! Are you famous?

;)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #813 on: October 26, 2014, 04:35:03 PM »
[Q. Jam with a machete?]
You sort of tip/scoop the jam onto the end and just spread it? Our jam jars have pretty large openings though lol
We mostly do it for laughs ;P

Here we go, it's still on the bench waiting to be put away :S

This only reinforces my image of Australians as being totally badass, each and every one of them. 

Outing myself as a dopey American, I immediately think of Crocodile Dundee, confronted by would-be muggers:  "That's not a knoife.  THIS is a knoife!"
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #814 on: October 26, 2014, 04:40:50 PM »

Outing myself as a dopey American, I immediately think of Crocodile Dundee, confronted by would-be muggers:  "That's not a knoife.  THIS is a knoife!"

That was my first thought as well :D

wish you all a good start into the new week (if it has started already I hope it was a good start!)
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #815 on: October 26, 2014, 04:41:27 PM »
The right thing.

*stares into the distance dramatically*

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I think I must be coming down with something, blargh. Nobody snog me for a while, alright? ;D

Went to the shelter today to see about adopting (what's involved, how much it costs etc). The rehoming fee for a dog is £70, which is understandable, but they're also charging £70 for a cat. What the actual hell. We were thinking of getting a pair of cats, so I asked if there was any price difference for inseparable pairs, but nope, it'd be £140 for both. £140 for two cats?! I know that adoption is the right thing to do, especially with so many animals needing a good home, but...stuff that, I'm not paying that obscene amount when you can pick up kittens for free. Eesh. I wouldn't mind paying a rehoming fee, but £70 is really just taking the mick.

One of our cats was $500 (AU) but we haggled for her little sister who was the runt of the litter and not expected to last- and got her for $100
So, I would advise inquiring and shopping around, compare prices and cats. If you're just looking on price, then private sellers can be bargained with, and maybe check out other shelters and cat homes for lower prices. However though, if you find the one it will probably be worth the extra cash, because they're a lifetime companion, a kitty soulmate ;3
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Raya

« Reply #816 on: October 26, 2014, 05:10:32 PM »
Presumably she decided to decline blood transfusion herself though, right? It's a stupid tradition, but saying that "the Jehovah's Witnesses refused" kind of over-victimises the person by ignoring her own agency in the matter. Then again I'm not familiar with the incident so what do I know.

No, she was unconscious (on account of losing too much blood). Usually in this situation unless the person has given express wishes beforehand (eg 'do not resuscitate') the doctors will save a person's life and worry about things later. The Jehovah's Witnesses made the decision to prevent the blood transfusion and so caused her death. She didn't get a choice in the matter. Which is pretty messed up really.

*stares into the distance dramatically*

One of our cats was $500 (AU) but we haggled for her little sister who was the runt of the litter and not expected to last- and got her for $100
So, I would advise inquiring and shopping around, compare prices and cats. If you're just looking on price, then private sellers can be bargained with, and maybe check out other shelters and cat homes for lower prices. However though, if you find the one it will probably be worth the extra cash, because they're a lifetime companion, a kitty soulmate ;3

Bloody hell. Are cats in short supply in Aus or something? That's a cheap price for a pure bred dog, for a moggy that's crazy!

A quick search throws up plenty of cats that are either free to a good home or <£30. I really wanted to adopt one, but I can't believe it's so expensive. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more, but not that much.

I'll admit, I'm much more of a dog person, but my other half loves cats so I'm happy enough for us to get one. Thing is though, I don't really like the idea of having a pet that will outright ignore me unless it wants food and will happily walk out if someone feeds it more. But y'know, maybe I'll get lucky and end up with a loveable Grade C who'll be happy to snuggle up/defend me from beasts ;D

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #817 on: October 26, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »
I'm hoping to get a cat, now that my older sister showed us all these videos of cats pawing their owner's faces and rubbing their heads against their arm. Makes me want to get a cat. /;w;/ Cats are adorable creatures, aren't they.

Uhhh... Cute cat videos should probably come with the same disclaimer as weight-loss testimonials:  "Results not typical." 
Because in opposition to all those *apparently* cute, affectionate cats, there's Sparta the Mean Kitty, who has quite the Internet following:
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #818 on: October 26, 2014, 06:22:19 PM »
If you're going to get a cat, you have to get a kitten.  Spend time with it and play with it when it's young, and then you'll get a nice cat that likes to spend time near you.  And when I say "play," I mean play, not abuse; seen too many people getting too rough with their cats.

No, she was unconscious (on account of losing too much blood). Usually in this situation unless the person has given express wishes beforehand (eg 'do not resuscitate') the doctors will save a person's life and worry about things later. The Jehovah's Witnesses made the decision to prevent the blood transfusion and so caused her death. She didn't get a choice in the matter. Which is pretty messed up really.

Bloody hell. Are cats in short supply in Aus or something? That's a cheap price for a pure bred dog, for a moggy that's crazy!

A quick search throws up plenty of cats that are either free to a good home or <£30. I really wanted to adopt one, but I can't believe it's so expensive. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more, but not that much.

I'll admit, I'm much more of a dog person, but my other half loves cats so I'm happy enough for us to get one. Thing is though, I don't really like the idea of having a pet that will outright ignore me unless it wants food and will happily walk out if someone feeds it more. But y'know, maybe I'll get lucky and end up with a loveable Grade C who'll be happy to snuggle up/defend me from beasts ;D
Geeeeeeez.  Anyone that turns down modern medicine for crap like that needs to have their head checked... maybe by an MRI.  I heard that Steve Jobs did something similar, turning down a treatment for what he had and going to rituals of some kind instead. 
Feel free to PM.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #819 on: October 26, 2014, 06:28:12 PM »
Umh ... I can announce that nefarious plan in anonymous letters sent to all major Finnish newspapers, they will then make me famous (in Finland) and seal their nation's doom?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #820 on: October 26, 2014, 06:28:57 PM »

There are breeds that are naturally friendly, but every cat to their own ;3 if you don't want a cat that will run away and commit crime, then one of the housecat breeds might be better because they like the indoors and are too posh to fend for themselves ;) however they do cost a lot of dosh. But the slinky, capable cats can be just as loyal.

My two cats would be hopeless out on their own, so they don't wander, or leave you alone because they don't like being lonely :P

They're huge dorks:

The light one is my mum's and sister's, the expensive one, and the dark one is my little bargain fluffball. She's pulling the "MOvE The StRInGGGggGggg!!!" Face X3

If you're going to get a cat, you have to get a kitten.  Spend time with it and play with it when it's young, and then you'll get a nice cat that likes to spend time near you.  And when I say "play," I mean play, not abuse; seen too many people getting too rough with their cats.

Kittens are best if you want a lifelong friend, however, like all babies, they need proper looking after :)
String-chasies and chasies/hide and seek and one-way fetch are my favorite cat games- exercise for all!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:48:43 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #821 on: October 26, 2014, 06:46:20 PM »
Ah, the joys of adopting. My beautiful black lab/boarder collie mix we adopted from the shelter for $100. (Okay, technically she's the family dog, but everyone knows she's mine.) That photo was taken after I had spent half an hour pulling her fur out brushing her. Now that we've moved to the country my sister wants to get a goat in addition to Natasha (the dog in the picture), our other dog, and her rabbit. My mom - possibly because I finally caught her up with SSSS? - wants to get an indoor/outdoor cat that will catch moles and enjoy being petted.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #822 on: October 26, 2014, 06:49:49 PM »

;)

JoB is famous to us.  Does that count? 
Also, do you mind explaining the joke about the rain in Finland?  Are Finnish celebrities always comparing the weather around them with whatever's going on in their beloved homeland?

victrixia

« Reply #823 on: October 26, 2014, 07:02:47 PM »
JoB is famous to us.  Does that count? 
Also, do you mind explaining the joke about the rain in Finland?  Are Finnish celebrities always comparing the weather around them with whatever's going on in their beloved homeland?

It might count... *gulp* are we DOOMED now? *yikes*

I think the rain thing was just something JoB came up with. Everybody knows the place where it always rains is the UK, not Finland. Here, it's just cold. ^^

this conversation is getting entirely too silly. I feel like I should contribute something sensible! :D

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #824 on: October 26, 2014, 07:08:04 PM »
If that turns out to be true, I'll open a clairvoyance academy. 8)

Nah, that was just my quick idea how to use that Pavlovian market-square-going reflex against them. >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15