Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410785 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8910 on: August 02, 2015, 08:35:45 PM »
Snow angels and snowball fights!!! :D

What Viola said.

You're a snow owl!!!  /o/
Snowy Tas looks really pretty, and you need skis for all the big hills.  Or get a trashcan lid and use it as a sled!  ...  Just don't break any bones.  ...  Or organs.  ... or property.  Basically find a hill with nothing nearby anywhere ever. 

What Eich said.

Where I live, in the San Francisco Bay Area, it snows (at ground level) maybe once every 15-20 years.  Snowballs, snow angels, and sledding (on cardboard boxes b/c that's what we had) were the activities of choice.

Also make sure to freeze a few snowballs and have snow-slushies in the summertime!   :)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #8911 on: August 02, 2015, 08:45:06 PM »
and 20 vials of blood? 20?! how are you still alive
I don't know. What's especially worrisome to me is that I felt 'normal' again that evening... which should give you an idea of where my 'normal' is at right now.
My parents didn’t believe me, by the way. My mom said I was probably delirious and miscounted somehow, and my dad claims there’s not that much blood in the human body. (Well there’s obviously more, Dad, because that’s how much they took.) My sponsor thought I was exaggerating for the sake of emphasis, my former math teacher/honorary second mom scolded me because she thought I was doing one of those experimental studies for money, and my grandmother was like, ‘Wait, are you having health problems?’

And if there's snow then obviously the only thing to do is to stay outside in it until it melts, however long that takes. (I almost died when I went to Breckenridge, Colorado.)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:52:01 PM by RandomTexanReader »
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #8912 on: August 02, 2015, 08:57:12 PM »
I don't know. What's especially worrisome to me is that I felt 'normal' again that evening... which should give you an idea of where my 'normal' is at right now.

My parents didn’t believe me, by the way. My mom said I was probably delirious and miscounted somehow, and my dad claims there’s not that much blood in the human body. (Well there’s obviously more, Dad, because that’s how much they took.)

My sponsor thought I was exaggerating for the sake of emphasis, my former math teacher/honorary second mom scolded me because she thought I was doing one of those experimental studies for money, and my grandmother was like, ‘Wait, are you having health problems?’

But you're talking just *vials* of blood, right?  Not *pints*?  Google tells me the average human body contains about 5.5 quarts of blood, or 11 pints.  And a typical medical-test vial contains 10 ml, whereas a pint = 450 ml.  So yeah, I can totally believe they took 20 vials of blood; that's less than half the amount of a typical donation. 

It's concerning that your doctors think they need so many samples to test.  But I suppose in the long run it's a good thing, if they really want to be thorough about diagnosing and addressing whatever has been troubling you. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #8913 on: August 02, 2015, 09:05:26 PM »
But you're talking just *vials* of blood, right?  Not *pints*?  Google tells me the average human body contains about 5.5 quarts of blood, or 11 pints.  And a typical medical-test vial contains 10 ml, whereas a pint = 450 ml.  So yeah, I can totally believe they took 20 vials of blood; that's less than half the amount of a typical donation. 

It's concerning that your doctors think they need so many samples to test.  But I suppose in the long run it's a good thing, if they really want to be thorough about diagnosing and addressing whatever has been troubling you.
DEFINITELY not pints. No way. And I actually think it might have been closer to 5 oz than 7 oz... which is still a problem when you're already anemic, but feasible. And it is a good thing! I mean, I'm not happy about it, obviously (hence the complaining), but if I can get healed it's definitely worth the time and trouble. And to be honest, I'd rather they run extra tests than just go by my symptoms for a diagnosis, especially since I learned that the symptoms for anemia (not enough iron in blood) and hemochromatosis (too much iron in blood) are practically identical.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #8914 on: August 02, 2015, 10:07:21 PM »
You're a snow owl!!!  /o/
Snowy Tas looks really pretty, and you need skis for all the big hills.  Or get a trashcan lid and use it as a sled!  ...  Just don't break any bones.  ...  Or organs.  ... or property.  Basically find a hill with nothing nearby anywhere ever.
What Viola said.

What Eich said.

Where I live, in the San Francisco Bay Area, it snows (at ground level) maybe once every 15-20 years.  Snowballs, snow angels, and sledding (on cardboard boxes b/c that's what we had) were the activities of choice.

Also make sure to freeze a few snowballs and have snow-slushies in the summertime!   :)
I would do these things.. if I were allowed... <_< Safety-mum is on high alert. HIGH ALERT. She doesn't like the cold...since she grew up with these and...sand. Snow is the enemy.

I took some better photos:
http://imgur.com/a/MtcYp
OWL TOUCH THE SNOW

OWL HOLD THE SnOW

AAAA

CAT

ALSO HAIZ I MADE A UNICORN BUT THE PHOTO IS ON THE DIGITAL CAMERA ;__;
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:16:51 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #8915 on: August 02, 2015, 10:21:59 PM »
OrigamiOwl: Nice pictures!!! SNOWW!! I completely understand your reaction, because that's what I would do if it ever snowed where I live (Ha ha ha... :-\).
For real, though, it is my dream to see snow. And be able to build snowmen.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #8916 on: August 02, 2015, 10:30:02 PM »
OrigamiOwl: Nice pictures!!! SNOWW!! I completely understand your reaction, because that's what I would do if it ever snowed where I live (Ha ha ha... :-\).
For real, though, it is my dream to see snow. And be able to build snowmen.
It was/is also my dream. U__U *highfive*
About halfway through making the snow cat I realised: "This...is why all Minna's characters wear...gloves...and...socks...and layers..." (spoiler alert the fuzzy jumper was my only top layer until mum blew the whistle and gave me a giant too-big coat of dad's that you can kind of see in the picture <_< I then couldn't move in the coat so I just went inside. Mission accomplished mum.)

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #8917 on: August 02, 2015, 10:36:16 PM »
THOSE PICTURES ARE AWESOME

omgosh

it's like 30 degrees here, I am dying, I could totally use some snow
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #8918 on: August 02, 2015, 11:07:11 PM »
THOSE PICTURES ARE AWESOME

omgosh

it's like 30 degrees here, I am dying, I could totally use some snow
You can have it! I'm...cold now ;__; too much snow. Too much. Snow-verload.

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #8919 on: August 02, 2015, 11:08:35 PM »
Please ship me all of the snow.
I resorted to sucking on ice cubes yesterday.
THAT'S HOW HOT IT IS
(okay it's like 30 C which I know isn't that hot by most of the world's standards but I'm a northern person, I was NOT MADE FOR THIS)
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8920 on: August 02, 2015, 11:10:24 PM »
THAT'S HOW HOT IT IS
(okay it's like 30 C which I know isn't that hot by most of the world's standards but I'm a northern person, I was NOT MADE FOR THIS)

*places order for snow also* ME TOO!!
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #8921 on: August 02, 2015, 11:11:50 PM »
It was/is also my dream. U__U *highfive*
About halfway through making the snow cat I realised: "This...is why all Minna's characters wear...gloves...and...socks...and layers..." (spoiler alert the fuzzy jumper was my only top layer until mum blew the whistle and gave me a giant too-big coat of dad's that you can kind of see in the picture <_< I then couldn't move in the coat so I just went inside. Mission accomplished mum.)

Was she trying to wrap you up like Randy in "A Christmas Story"?  (That's a good movie about what to do -- and not do -- in the snow, incidentally.)

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #8922 on: August 02, 2015, 11:13:21 PM »
THAT'S HOW HOT IT IS

I WANT SNOW TOO, PLEASE SEND

It is winter here, but somehow today was a warm day, reaching 28ºC. Come on, I want REAL winter!!
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8923 on: August 03, 2015, 04:24:19 AM »
Snow is fun! Let's hope we get some this winter...

Yesterday I had an awesome day on Auraldsfjord and Nærøyfjord; met nice Swedish and American people (actually we „found refuge” together from some extremely annoying tourist groups)
I stopped in a small village, and it turned out, a guided tour in the village and in the smallest stavechurch was included in my ticket, so I joined a group of Swedes and Norwegians. Since I was the only one who could not understand Norwegian, the guide asked if it’s okay to talk in English, and everybody said yes. I mean elderly people too. It would be impossible in Hungary; I nearly cried. I should have recorded the scene and sent it to our state secretary for education at the ministry - this is what happens if you spend money on education...

Anyway, I’m in love with Norway!

And here, this buzzing metropolis is Aurland, capital of post-apocalyptic Norway:

native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #8924 on: August 03, 2015, 04:32:33 AM »
I want some snow too ! :D When we have snow in France, it's a few centimeters, and when I have a few centimeters I'm really happy to simply walk and hear this special sound. So yes, give me some snow, it's 35°C and near to the sea with flamingos (O_o) but who cares ? ^^

Anyway, I’m in love with Norway!

And here, this buzzing metropolis is Aurland, capital of post-apocalyptic Norway:

Haaaaaaa, I want to go to Norway now !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: