Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411040 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8805 on: July 31, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »

I have taken refuge in painting a mural on all three walls of my room (fourth is taken up by a window). I have pictures of the blue monkeys and the giraffe, while the springboks and elephant and ostriches are not yet recorded...

Lenny these are beautiful!!!! Wow! Can you come paint my walls?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #8806 on: July 31, 2015, 10:44:30 AM »
Lenny, your paintings are amazing!* They seem so lifelike! I hope working on them helps with your homesickness a bit. *wishes to know what else to say on the subject of homesickness*

*However, I was a bit surprised that the walls of your room are covered in blue tiles, my first thought was "is it a swimming bath?" because you also wrote about "underwaterland" and "swimmingly" ;)

speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8807 on: July 31, 2015, 11:03:09 AM »
*However, I was a bit surprised that the walls of your room are covered in blue tiles, my first thought was "is it a swimming bath?" because you also wrote about "underwaterland" and "swimmingly" ;)

I'm not sure they were originally blue. Lenny is often in the chat as Len|Smurf. :D

Lenny, those mural are beautiful!

Today I mowed the lawn and apparently found all the biting midges in doing so. My arms are covered in itchy spots. And I want to shave my hair off.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #8808 on: July 31, 2015, 11:27:07 AM »
I'm not sure they were originally blue. Lenny is often in the chat as Len|Smurf. :D

Lenny, those mural are beautiful!

Today I mowed the lawn and apparently found all the biting midges in doing so. My arms are covered in itchy spots. And I want to shave my hair off.
IMPERATOR STARFALLZ!!!
*salute*
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8809 on: July 31, 2015, 12:10:14 PM »
Lenny these are beautiful!!!! Wow! Can you come paint my walls?

It's going to cost you bringing her over to the Americas.

Today I've gotten a little taste of the life of a cleanser. Well, kinda. My parents want another outhouse shed (they collect them). Since they live in a rocky cauldron at the top of a mountain this means we need to remove tons of solid bedrock to expand the flat bit. After trying a lot of techniques we decided to do it the old fashioned way and bake the rock. So we piled on a wheelbarrow of coal and several loads of wood and lit the biggest fire the North has ever seen (well, not really). So I've spent the day fanning the flames with a metal tray and shuffling red hot coals and firewood around with a pitchfork. It's been quite a sweatshop and I think my brain has been baked a little as well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:39:34 PM by Fimbulvarg »

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #8810 on: July 31, 2015, 12:13:29 PM »
Spoiler: show
That story's been intensively covered throughout the Bay Area, so I've heard it too.  It's just terrible.  My heart goes out to you, RTR, and the whole Santa Cruz art community -- many of whom must have known the victim and her family. 

Thank you. The whole community is reeling right now. The murderer was in my cousin-in-law's high school class and hung out frequently at the art store. It's terrifying how people can so detach themselves that you never sense anything 'off' about them until they do something like that.

art ranty thing ehh

it seems like the maybe i feel about art isn't echoed by the alot of people. i mean some it is just exsaggeration, obviulsy, but it seems like a lot of people find art really draining. i dont? i guess. maybe its because art is something i want to be good at, but the not the thing i want to do- that would be writing. and you've seen how far i've gotten there

but i'm always drawing all the time, and even when i get an art block-which is rare-, i just power on.
[actual quote i swear]
"What's that?"
"An art block"
"..."
"I'm gonna fight it"

and it works.
i'm always energized about drawing, probably to a somewhat unhealthy level.  and i guess my method is litteraly  just "fight it". has anyone noticed that my drawings recently have had backgrounds?

thats because i want to learn how to do backgrounds. so therefore, everything must have a background.

and its  not just one drawing a day or something. even after i do the art trades or finish something that i worked on for a while in the morning, i'm drawing something else like ten minutes after. and i almot nevr take a break to strech my hands and make sure i don't get carpal tunnel symdrome or something. if anyone has a link to a timer that goes off and stuff that would be great.

but i'm pretty sure i haven't hurt myself yet and besides, good artists know where to draw the line, right?

haha actually this post was maybe mostly because i'm bitter about having some much n=engry to do the draw, but aBSLOLTY NONE about writing. well i do have a little enegry, but i get drained loooking though my writing notebook and telling myslef i have to write these stories up, most of which are either 1/1 thiugh, 1/4 though, or 7/10 though. and at the time of writing this post, i have two story ideas i can bring to memory but are not in any words, two requests i'm like 2/10's of the way thoguh, two unfinished fanfics, and an interlude chapter which hasn't even been written. and might not get written. don't get ur hopes up.

and add in the fact i have no faith in my writing skills at all
-keep going and you'll get better!
 i would love too, but all my ideas are big and large and uGH maybe i'll find a solution.

sorry, i just needed to rant
i dont know if this goes in the comfort corner or not, it seems kinda mild

My dad told me: find something you enjoy doing: that's your hobby. Find something you're good at doing: that's your job. Find something you're miserable if you don't do: that's your passion.
Art is often hard for me, and I often find myself wondering why I even try (heaven knows I've complained enough on this forum), but if I don't draw, I'm miserable. That's how I know that I want to make art a major part of my life, because even though I find it to be hard work and I am rarely, if ever, satisfied with the results, I still want to draw, I still want to improve, no matter what it takes, and no matter how difficult it is, I can't quit.
It sounds like writing probably is your passion. For me it's just a hobby---it comes easily to me, I enjoy it, and when I don't, I don't write. What you're going through sounds like the equivalent of an artslump to me. And the good thing is, artslumps pass, and you're the stronger for having gone through it. :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:15:00 PM by RandomTexanReader »
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #8811 on: July 31, 2015, 12:30:12 PM »
KicknRun - I know a lot of my friends actually have a huge difficulty drawing (and the two I'm thinking of are both on this forum and both are also very skilled! One doesn't post their art, but the other does and everybody is always very >:^O ) and it might seem funky but sometimes you just put so much into your art that you don't have much left afterwards?? I mean, sometimes in a good way, sometimes not so much. Personally, I always keep drawing because I have a terrible relationship with myself and anxiety and I'm always very worried about losing my skill.

me: curry if you don't draw you'll lose ALL YOUR ABILITY
me: oh no
me: ALL OF IT
me: OH NO
me: and then youll be like those poor unfortunate souls who do those art-improvement pictures
me: oh noooooo
me: and the first picture is so much better
me: nooooooooooooooo
me: and it will be awful
me: okAY ILL DRAW

I also do love drawing, but I'm doing it ALL THE TIME right now because I feel like I'm on a roll and if I break my streak I'll lose it send help please
YEET

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8812 on: July 31, 2015, 12:36:26 PM »

My parents want another outhouse (they collect them).

Wait. Are you saying your parents collect outdoor toilets? Why?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #8813 on: July 31, 2015, 12:37:05 PM »
Thanks, everyone :)

They are helping a little with homesickness. Art always makes me distance myself from everything else. This does have additional side effects... *cough*forgetting any physical maintenance such as eating unless outside reminders are had*cough* But it keeps me extremely occupied.

I joked a few days earlier that I'd make a side business in murals for homes. I might have to rethink about keeping that as a joke, haha... (though yes, getting me over to northern America will cost quite a bit, as it's one of the last places on earth I'd like to be, haha.)

The tiles were originally a horrific salmon colour (needless to say I started painting almost immediately... which also involved painting myself, hence the Smurf). My bedroom was most likely an office of some sort earlier (this house used to be a store). And it was built in the time where tiles were apparently stylish to have on half the wall (these tiles are roughly a metre to two metres tall, depending where). Everything on the lower floor either has tiles or a divide marked with paint, whether bathroom or bedroom or hallway.

Also luckily my family here is extremely tolerant and accepting of me not being, well, typical. It's already a running joke that pink, of any sort, is not my colour, haha. And they don't mind me painting or drawing or reading or whatever all day long (as long as I do help contribute to the running of the household by helping with dishes and keeping my area maintained and all that), so that's also quite nice. They also don't mind what I draw (unlike my SA grandmother, who likes to ask me every now and then why I don't draw more nice things) as long as I don't plaster my room full of it (they're not all that comfortable with dragons and monsters - but explain it as "they like to draw made-up things" which I am perfectly okay with, as it's perfectly true~). And they've also discovered that no, I'm not really a people person. People are fine, but not having people around is absolutely acceptable, and sometimes preferable. And being like that is fine with them, too. That's quite a load off my mind, haha. It seems this is a household where mutual respect is something that is alive.

Other than homesickness and lack of orientation, I think I'm settling in okay. And I expect that those two things will pass (though I have no doubt the homesickness will come back sometime - I've lived with it all my life, a bit of an old friend now).

Today I've gotten a little taste of the life of a cleanser. Well, kinda. My parents want another outhouse (they collect them). Since they live in a rocky cauldron at the top of a mountain this means we need to remove tons of solid bedrock to expand the flat bit. After trying a lot of techniques we decided to do it the old fashioned way and bake the rock. So we piled on a wheelbarrow of coal and several loads of wood and lit the biggest fire the North has ever seen (well, not really). So I've spent the day fanning the flames with a metal tray and shuffling red hot coals and firewood around with a pitchfork. It's been quite a sweatshop and I think my brain has been baked a little as well.

I salute you both. Most hardship I've had lately was carrying two very heavy and long heaters from the first floor down to the ground floor, via a very narrow and tall stairway. Not something I'd recommend, but better than being baked or bitten.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8814 on: July 31, 2015, 12:39:05 PM »
Wait. Are you saying your parents collect outdoor toilets? Why?

*sigh* false friends (I told you my brain is baked). In Norwegian uthus is any house or shed not connected to the main house. I meant shed.

EDIT: Hang on, apparently only Americans use outhouse to refer to toilets. You silly people, the shed is not for that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:42:46 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Mélusine

« Reply #8815 on: July 31, 2015, 12:43:19 PM »
How could I have missed this post ? Lenny, you're amazing ! :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8816 on: July 31, 2015, 12:44:48 PM »
*sigh* false friends (I told you my brain is baked). In Norwegian uthus is any house or shed not connected to the main house. I meant shed.

EDIT: Hang on, apparently only Americans use outhouse to refer to toilets. You silly people, the shed is not for that sort of thing.

Too late. I've already got an image of a house in the middle of the norwegian wilderness surrounded by outdoor toilets.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #8817 on: July 31, 2015, 01:14:04 PM »
haiz: haha it was 2am in the morning and i was feeling kinda slumpy i guess whoops
and i guess NYOOOM is correct
i looked though my art tag*winces*(even though it hasn't been updated in two weeks because i've hosting everything on imgur)  and stuff, and, well yeah, i did make improvement on art
compared to this thing (an hour and many tears, just a head, no colors, really derpy looking)

and this fully colored thing (2 hours,full body, colored)

randomtexanreader: i would watch the video but i'm in haiti and stuff so
yeah

but i've wanted to be a writer since fOREVER, in second grade, diary of a wimpy kid was all the rage, and i tried making my own. i found a notebook from forth grade with fanfiction (even though i didnt know it was called that at the time) for a game i was playing. last year, due to *wincing intensifies in volume* hetalia, i tried writing actual fanfiction. it didn't go well, and i actually ripped it out of my notebook and set it on fire.
and then i joined this fandom and started actually doing stuff.

like. stuff. i can't put it into words but you know the feel.

the 4000+ words i have written total? thats an achievement. that's a really big achievement for me.

i guess part of is that i'm writing something and it turned out like 20 pages long, and sTILL NOT FINISHED and then i had to cross out like 5 whole pages because they didn't really make sense and now i have no motivation whatsoever

art was always something i wanted to do, but not the thing i wanted to do, basically. thats the summary of my whole relationship with art.

curry: i don't have much angixty about losing whatever skill i have- thank god, it just that i really want to do writing but i never write

actually talking about this helped a lot i think i have something resembling motivation now.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Mélusine

« Reply #8818 on: July 31, 2015, 01:39:39 PM »
but i've wanted to be a writer since fOREVER, in second grade, diary of a wimpy kid was all the rage, and i tried making my own. i found a notebook from forth grade with fanfiction (even though i didnt know it was called that at the time) for a game i was playing. last year, due to *wincing intensifies in volume* hetalia, i tried writing actual fanfiction. it didn't go well, and i actually ripped it out of my notebook and set it on fire.
and then i joined this fandom and started actually doing stuff.

like. stuff. i can't put it into words but you know the feel.

the 4000+ words i have written total? thats an achievement. that's a really big achievement for me.

i guess part of is that i'm writing something and it turned out like 20 pages long, and sTILL NOT FINISHED and then i had to cross out like 5 whole pages because they didn't really make sense and now i have no motivation whatsoever
You know, Kick, there are different kind of writer. I know some of them, published or not, who always have 10000 ideas and complains they don't have enough time to write all, because there are always more of them coming. And you have others (Hello, I'm on the second kind.) who have only one or two universes and don't know what they'll write after. You will have persons always writing, always always always, and it's not a proof of writing good. You'll also have persons who need special conditions to write and can't if they're not in these special conditions. Some of us will have rituals, some others not. Some of us are good in constructing universes, some others better with the characters, and nobody, nobody is perfect and know how to use all in the same time.
You can't imagine... okay, you can imagine you'll write, I don't know, something like 100 pages easily. But writing is like everything : you have to practice. It requires time. It requires practice. And you'll become better, and better, and better. But be patient and kind with yourself :) Some days it will be easy and wonderful, some others days you'll feel like the "most bad" writer possible. It's all right. We all know these feelings, and I'm sure it's the same for everybody who create. Be patient, try again, stop a few days if it really doesn't work, and to my mind, if the idea is important enough, it will stay in your mind and you'll come back to it. Always. (Look, I'm working again on what I began when I was 14 ;) Because the characters are still here and want their stories to be told.)
And don't throw what you've done earlier. One day, you'll look at that, will grimace and smile in the same time and think "Okay, it's bad, but it was my best when I was (insert an age here) and it had helped me to become better today". I swear I'm still feeling ashamed when I see the maybe 200 pages written when I was 14 and who have been read by some persons, including an adult. But without that, I wouldn't be where I am now in writing. And you'll could be proud of yourself :)
Oh, and look at this poster. It's exactly the process. I think I'll buy it...
https://behappy.me/poster/the-creative-process-1-this-is-awesome-2-this-is-tricky-3-this-is-shit-4-i-am-shit-5-this-might-be-o-85187
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8819 on: July 31, 2015, 01:45:14 PM »
Kick, have you ever heard of NaNoWriMo? It isn't until November, but if you need a motivator for writing, it's fantastic (and it's also a ton of fun: I've done it for the past two years).
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!