Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387521 times)

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8790 on: July 30, 2015, 06:21:41 PM »
im about to go to bed
but
i just realized that in the "attachments and other options" (where the link to the reaction hoard is!) there's a 'don't use smileys' option

which means
I CAN DO THIS:
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

im so happy

YES! I'M GONNA JOIN IN!

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Sometimes two question marks just isn't enough to express my confusion
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8791 on: July 30, 2015, 06:24:49 PM »
Oh hey I just figured out what the quick reply thing is *derp*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8792 on: July 30, 2015, 07:57:54 PM »

Uh so Hi! I'm finally taking the plunge and posting on the general discussion thread (will there ever be turning back now?). Basically because I found this video which I thought SSSS people would really get a kick out of, but I had no idea where it could be posted :P It's about an old viking warrior trying to die in battle but having a bit of trouble and is truly *a thing of beauty*
/>

Also, if anyone knows of cool things to do in Munich I was directed to ask here as more people check this than the travel advice thread ^_^
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #8793 on: July 31, 2015, 01:01:05 AM »
Upidity-date:
Spoiler: show
Continuing to work, continuing to hurt myself, continuing to learn new things, and a local 8-year-old girl was brutally murdered on Sunday.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #8794 on: July 31, 2015, 01:30:51 AM »
Upidity-date:
Continuing to work, continuing to hurt myself, continuing to learn new things, and a local 8-year-old girl was brutally murdered on Sunday.

That story's been intensively covered throughout the Bay Area, so I've heard it too.  It's just terrible.  My heart goes out to you, RTR, and the whole Santa Cruz art community -- many of whom must have known the victim and her family. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #8795 on: July 31, 2015, 02:14:01 AM »
art ranty thing ehh

it seems like the maybe i feel about art isn't echoed by the alot of people. i mean some it is just exsaggeration, obviulsy, but it seems like a lot of people find art really draining. i dont? i guess. maybe its because art is something i want to be good at, but the not the thing i want to do- that would be writing. and you've seen how far i've gotten there

but i'm always drawing all the time, and even when i get an art block-which is rare-, i just power on.
[actual quote i swear]
"What's that?"
"An art block"
"..."
"I'm gonna fight it"
[/quote]
 and it works.
i'm always energized about drawing, probably to a somewhat unhealthy level.  and i guess my method is litteraly  just "fight it". has anyone noticed that my drawings recently have had backgrounds?

thats because i want to learn how to do backgrounds. so therefore, everything must have a background.

and its  not just one drawing a day or something. even after i do the art trades or finish something that i worked on for a while in the morning, i'm drawing something else like ten minutes after. and i almot nevr take a break to strech my hands and make sure i don't get carpal tunnel symdrome or something. if anyone has a link to a timer that goes off and stuff that would be great.

but i'm pretty sure i haven't hurt myself yet and besides, good artists know where to draw the line, right?

haha actually this post was maybe mostly because i'm bitter about having some much n=engry to do the draw, but aBSLOLTY NONE about writing. well i do have a little enegry, but i get drained loooking though my writing notebook and telling myslef i have to write these stories up, most of which are either 1/1 thiugh, 1/4 though, or 7/10 though. and at the time of writing this post, i have two story ideas i can bring to memory but are not in any words, two requests i'm like 2/10's of the way thoguh, two unfinished fanfics, and an interlude chapter which hasn't even been written. and might not get written. don't get ur hopes up.

and add in the fact i have no faith in my writing skills at all
-keep going and you'll get better!
 i would love too, but all my ideas are big and large and uGH maybe i'll find a solution.

sorry, i just needed to rant
i dont know if this goes in the comfort corner or not, it seems kinda mild

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #8796 on: July 31, 2015, 05:28:08 AM »
Hey, I'm back among the living... at least, that's how I felt this morning. The past two days I've spend completely in bed/on the couch because of a sudden and violent viral infection. I don't remember feeling that bad ever, it was like I didn't have any energy at all. I couldn't even read or listen to an audiobook.
Today, I've already managed to go into the kitchen and eat my breakfast there instead of having to crawl back into bed immediately, and now I'm slowly reading through all the new posts on the forum.  :)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Mélusine

« Reply #8797 on: July 31, 2015, 05:34:44 AM »
I hope your day will continue in this good way, Fen Shen. Welcome back among the living ! :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8798 on: July 31, 2015, 09:23:46 AM »
RTR: .____________. that's awful

Kick: I don't really see how any artists can find art draining? maybe sometimes, when you have a slump or things just don't work, but for me, creating art is a relief. Seeing good art sets me on fire and makes me wanna MAKE GOOD STUFF AL THE TIME (mélusine can confirm from seeing me in the mucha museum). Having an urge to draw something but not the opportunity to is a really bad itch. Ever since I've started to make LOTS of art after joining the ssss fandom (i already did a lot of art often but now it has increased) and getting in a habit of drawing every day - not drawing for a weekend or something makes me draw a lot when I get home. like breathing out. I usually go most summer vacations without drawing because im too busy traveling and stuff, but this year is entirely different and I've just kept creating so much and whoa.
... in recent weeks, though, I've been too exhausted from work to do anything properly (I still keep trying, though). and yeah, writing is even more exhaustive, and nowhere as easy for me to do as doodling, which is why I don't think I'll be continuing my fic until after I get back to Norway.
Also, your art evolution curve is intense. and not only yours, but many others! It's amazing to watch - I'm one of those kids that has always been 'good' at drawing, so my evolution curve is nowhere as noticeable, and you guys are all NYOOOM

anyway real life update:
I'm going to Brno this weekend! again!! a bit to see my friend, and a bit to go to the celtic music festival at castle Veveri I always go to. It's tradition, and Asonance always plays there, and they sell the best trdelniky and I just. have to. Except I usually go with my mom - and she just called me to announce she might be ditching the festival to go to some cottage with her friends. Not in those words and I'm not mad or anything, because hey I ditch family to se friends I rarely meet all the time. Now I just have to find out how things are gonna go and how I'm gonna get there and if i can convince my friend to go with me. I'll go there alone if I have to because i WILL go no matter what.

which also means you won't hear so much from me this weekend!! have fun
you'll know where to find me.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8799 on: July 31, 2015, 09:32:43 AM »
Have fun Haiz! I'm expecting pictures when you're back ;)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #8800 on: July 31, 2015, 09:34:06 AM »
Have fun Haiz! I'm expecting pictures when you're back ;)
oh no
please don't expect pictures
I... don't know what I would take pictures of

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8801 on: July 31, 2015, 09:35:46 AM »
oh no
please don't expect pictures
I... don't know what I would take pictures of

Ok, stories then?

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #8802 on: July 31, 2015, 09:40:42 AM »
Ok, stories then?
if there will be any to tell, always^^
.... hopefully not one as dramatic as the last time I visited brno, with the domestic violence thing...

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #8803 on: July 31, 2015, 09:58:56 AM »
Hello. I was gone for a bit. Chat people knew! I did forget to post about it here, though.

Camping in NL is interesting. Slightly boring. Was good to have a break, though. I suppose.

I cannot orient myself here. All my brain registers is "Man, everything is so GREEN and there are trees EVERYWHERE and they're trees taller than houses and full of foliage and so different and everything is so FLAT!" and so ... I cannot remember any distinguishing marks. And due to the flatness + trees + tall buildings, I can't see much more than 100m around me at any time, which doesn't help for orientation, either. NESW navigation is gone, too.

I have taken refuge in painting a mural on all three walls of my room (fourth is taken up by a window). I have pictures of the blue monkeys and the giraffe, while the springboks and elephant and ostriches are not yet recorded...

So yes. Lenny's adventures in underwaterland are going swimmingly (so far not a single problem with paperwork type things, yay), with few hiccups. My Lord of the Rings collector's edition set and my Ghibli films have all been left in Australia accidentally, so... well. I'm still the "cousin from Tasmania". Still a foreigner everywhere. (This is stupid. I knew it wouldn't be different. Heart apparently does not listen to mind. However, I did get mistaken for a Russian - that was fun.) *sigh* And homesick for Africa.

Man, am I homesick for Africa.

*sigh*

*goes back to ostrich-painting*
Am notified of private messages via email.

Mélusine

« Reply #8804 on: July 31, 2015, 10:00:39 AM »
Seeing good art sets me on fire and makes me wanna MAKE GOOD STUFF AL THE TIME (mélusine can confirm from seeing me in the mucha museum).
*Nods* But... which moment ? Because I fear we had been very... History of Arts student or former student in the museum ;)
And I'll wait your new stories !

I'm going to Brno this weekend! again!! a bit to see my friend, and a bit to go to the celtic music festival at castle Veveri I always go to. It's tradition, and Asonance always plays there, and they sell the best trdelniky and I just. have to.
Have fun :) I would love to go to a celtic/traditional music festival again, and dance. (It's not I don't feel happy where I am now, but... I don't know, it's something else. Anyway, I think there is still one festival like that in the middle of french summer vacation, maybe next year...)
And I could love eating a trdelnik again ^^ Four days to pronounce it properly and no possibility to order one here... ::)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: