Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411515 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8460 on: July 20, 2015, 05:12:51 PM »
Today I bought a sketchbook, my first. I am excited to start using it. (usually I just use loose printer paper, but it's starting to build up since finding ssss)

I'm kinda surprised you hadn't already caved in and bought one :D

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8461 on: July 20, 2015, 05:15:14 PM »
that reminds me I oughta stock up on lots and lots of cheap blank sketchbooks before leaving the czech republic...

but right now i oughta leave the internet and go to bed because i will have early work again this week. night-o
you'll know where to find me.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #8462 on: July 20, 2015, 05:28:15 PM »

Like I said, I have a lot of printer paper build up :P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #8463 on: July 20, 2015, 05:30:36 PM »
Today I bought a sketchbook, my first. I am excited to start using it. (usually I just use loose printer paper, but it's starting to build up since finding ssss)
My art's all on the back of homework and then stuffed in a folder, but I should get a sketchbook at some point too.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #8464 on: July 20, 2015, 05:49:23 PM »

Just a warning, the sketchbooks pile up too ;) I'm just about to finish my 13th fully-filled one and I have countless half-filled notebooks lying around... Have fun starting your collection! :D It's also really fun to look back at old sketchbooks and see how your art progresses chronologically.
YEET

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8465 on: July 20, 2015, 05:51:52 PM »
All's packed for a week in Sweden that'll start tomorrow. I know I should be excited but I'm just dreading everything's going to go wrong, the costume will be destroyed in cargo, my sound files will be missing, we'll make horribad mistakes on stage, my wig falls off etc. etc. I even had a stress dream last night where FOR ONCE it wasn't trolls after me but a ghost that wanted to kill me. Apparently the only way to not die would have been to kill the ghost but, alas, there was the technical problem of it actually being already dead and I remember feeling a bit frustrated when I tried to stab it over and over again but the knife just went through it. On the upside at least it was my old, trusty puukko I inherited from my grandma, maybe she's trying to give me a small pat on the back here.

Ooookayyy I think I need to breathe in a paper bag for a while now and think, uh, as positively as I can. Maybe it won't be a disaster. Maybe I'm being a wee bit overdramatic thinking a cosplay competition would make me an embarrassment to the whole nation of Iceland. Maybe it'll just be fun, hanging out at a convention taking lots pf photos, possibly finding more SSSS fans if someone recognizes the Reynir. Yes, I like that thought, I'll try to think of that instead... :'(
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

« Reply #8466 on: July 20, 2015, 05:56:55 PM »
Laufey, Laufey, Laufey : all will be all right and you'll be great :) *Hug*
We'll be with you, by thinking about you, and I hope you'll enjoy all !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8467 on: July 20, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »
Also sending hugs! You won't embarrass Iceland. It will go fine, and no one is going to die. I promise. From what I've seen, you are funny, wonderful, talented, and amazing at making costumes :)

Don't forget to keep us posted, we will all be cheering you on from the forum!
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #8468 on: July 20, 2015, 06:08:19 PM »
Laufey, you'll do great! Your costume is supergreat and won't embarrass Iceland at all.
Although best keep that puukko with you, *just in case* someone decides to cosplay RashDog.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8469 on: July 20, 2015, 06:10:39 PM »
...I'm trying to think of any norwegian pet names that are actually used seriously and can't think of a single one

The only ones I can think of sound like something lovers would say to one another/ancient ladies would say to young men...

Maybe it won't be a disaster. Maybe I'm being a wee bit overdramatic thinking a cosplay competition would make me an embarrassment to the whole nation of Iceland.

The answer to both is yes. It's the time to get hyped, not fatalistic.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #8470 on: July 20, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »
All's packed for a week in Sweden that'll start tomorrow. I know I should be excited but I'm just dreading everything's going to go wrong, the costume will be destroyed in cargo, my sound files will be missing, we'll make horribad mistakes on stage, my wig falls off etc. etc.

I even had a stress dream last night where FOR ONCE it wasn't trolls after me but a ghost that wanted to kill me. Apparently the only way to not die would have been to kill the ghost but, alas, there was the technical problem of it actually being already dead and I remember feeling a bit frustrated when I tried to stab it over and over again but the knife just went through it.

On the upside at least it was my old, trusty puukko I inherited from my grandma, maybe she's trying to give me a small pat on the back here.

Ooookayyy I think I need to breathe in a paper bag for a while now and think, uh, as positively as I can. Maybe it won't be a disaster. Maybe I'm being a wee bit overdramatic thinking a cosplay competition would make me an embarrassment to the whole nation of Iceland. Maybe it'll just be fun, hanging out at a convention taking lots pf photos, possibly finding more SSSS fans if someone recognizes the Reynir. Yes, I like that thought, I'll try to think of that instead... :'(

Wow, you have an awesome grandmother!  This sounds like Lalli using his great-grandmother's hunting rifle.  I'm sure she is encouraging you from beyond.

I know the convention will be a lot of fun and your group will do a great job.  Take lots of pictures and notes for us, will you?  We're all rooting for our Laufey!  (And the majestic Accordion Troll too, if it's tagging along.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #8471 on: July 20, 2015, 06:51:19 PM »
Mélusine, Viola, Para: I'm mostly just panicking for the heck of it, I think. Once we've arrived to the place I'll no doubt start behaving again, promise. :)

The answer to both is yes. It's the time to get hyped, not fatalistic.

It's sometimes hard to feel the difference though. Oh well, all I actually need is either a reality check or a good slap to shake myself out of it. :P

Wow, you have an awesome grandmother!  This sounds like Lalli using his great-grandmother's hunting rifle.  I'm sure she is encouraging you from beyond.

(Ooops I ended up writing a bit lengthily about my grandma.)

Spoiler: show
She was rather amazing, yes! She taught me a lot of things, among them about everything I know about mushrooms and how to use a puukko type of a knife, which she started me on around age 4 or so. First thing kids do to practice is to carve easy things like bark boats, then clean fish and mushrooms. It may sound a bit weird but at such a young age it's unlikely that you'll manage to cause severe damage even if the knife slips, just a few small nicks and scratches.

She drank unreal amounts of coffee and always smelled of coffee. She taught me why a dark forest is not scary: it only looks that way but when you walk in you'll notice it's not dark at all in there. She taught me to knit, despite hating knitting herself (my other grandma taught me more about knitting, gardening and cooking). My mother tells me that the last words she had for her were about a place that grew funnel chanterelles, one of her greatest secrets. Quite a formidable woman, she was.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8472 on: July 20, 2015, 06:58:41 PM »

She was rather amazing, yes! She taught me a lot of things, among them about everything I know about mushrooms and how to use a puukko type of a knife, which she started me on around age 4 or so. First thing kids do to practice is to carve easy things like bark boats, then clean fish and mushrooms. It may sound a bit weird but at such a young age it's unlikely that you'll manage to cause severe damage even if the knife slips, just a few small nicks and scratches.

She drank unreal amounts of coffee and always smelled of coffee. She taught me why a dark forest is not scary: it only looks that way but when you walk in you'll notice it's not dark at all in there. She taught me to knit, despite hating knitting herself (my other grandma taught me more about knitting, gardening and cooking). My mother tells me that the last words she had for her were about a place that grew funnel chanterelles, one of her greatest secrets. Quite a formidable woman, she was.

She sounds like a living embodiment of Finland in a way. Forests, check. Coffee, check, knives.... Have to admit, when you said she taught you how to use knives I initially thought you meant for fighting. I guess I'm weird like that.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #8473 on: July 20, 2015, 07:07:29 PM »

She sounds like a story book character :)

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #8474 on: July 21, 2015, 12:39:09 AM »
I got my cousin who reminds me of Lalli to start reading the comic and he has confirmed that he is Lalli and when he got to page 216 he just said, "Mikkel is so Grandpap" and I'm so happy that he agrees with me on these very important points.

Also my first week in the frameshop is over, and my second has begun! I have learned how to cut matboards (precut and custom) and glass (regular, uv, and plexi), how to enter and file orders, how to putty frames, and how to prep frames for assembly. I have 23 cuts and knicks, although I have yet to make a contribution to "The Blood Book." I've also begun to answer the bell, and I'm going to see if this week I can learn how to use the software so I can give estimates. I am so stoked for this job, y'all don't even know.

Also my old boss just gave me a bonus??? I guess it just went through today, because I checked my bank account and there was a new deposit! I have spending money!!! I CAN BUY ANYTHING!!!

Actually I had already bought these. Instead I spent $6 on an MP3 player. I'm such a spendthrift.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:10:04 AM by RandomTexanReader »
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.