Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387299 times)

daiseerose

Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8160 on: July 14, 2015, 01:49:35 PM »
Oh hey, I've used those before! Smooth is the word for them, they draw beautifully, I just was always too skittish to draw in pen...
Yea, writing in pen is scary. I always use pencil, but the micron pens sound cool!

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #8161 on: July 14, 2015, 02:01:34 PM »
whenever i line something i usally yell at myself for being so stupid like "why did i do this the sketch looked better i have made a mistake" and when it does come out good (which is rare) i never actually acknowledge it so yeah. but its different when i do it digitally because the mediums are so different.

and the brand is artist's loft?? i think im not sure i left them at home.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #8162 on: July 14, 2015, 02:03:20 PM »
I thought you were all talking about pens that went down to the micrometre scale there for a second. That would be impressive!

On another topic, is anyone else hyped that Gravity Falls is finally back on TV?
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8163 on: July 14, 2015, 02:17:53 PM »
*goes to work* "haha I'm sure I won't be put on utensil polishing duty two days in a ro-"
"Oh, hi. You can go polish today again."
*INTERNAL SCREAMING*

"I polish, I sleep, I polish again!"

It's a drawing pen, like a marker or a sharpie, with a teeny tiny drawing tip.

A tangential note about these: I think mine illustrate why I suspect I was a shark in a previous life. Cannot sit still without gnawing on stuff.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #8164 on: July 14, 2015, 02:23:22 PM »
Getting all these Mad Max references but not making them is so weird.

Icon drawn by Piney

daiseerose

« Reply #8165 on: July 14, 2015, 02:26:09 PM »
Getting all these Mad Max references but not making them is so weird.
What exactly is mad max about? I have been seeing it alot on my tumblr, and it sounds interesting.

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #8166 on: July 14, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »
Oh hey, I've used those before! Smooth is the word for them, they draw beautifully, I just was always too skittish to draw in pen...

Yea, writing in pen is scary. I always use pencil, but the micron pens sound cool!

HUEHUEHUEHUE ART DISCUSSIONS, my FAVORITE THING

I usually sketch things out beforehand and use ink/pens to clean it up and create lineart, then erase the pencil underneath (or not depending on if I really like how it feels). Lately the sketches underneath have gotten muuuuch rougher (no detail at all) and then I add most of the detail with pen instead of getting it all done beforehand. Like, here's what I'm talking about:

See the pencil sketch of Karri (my SSSSona) on the bottom right? I go straight from that to this:

All the details are added with pen. this is kind of a preview of the series of ssssonas i'm drawing right now actually

Kick, that will get better with more practice at lining. It's something you have to learn (sadly) and the best way is to leave your favorite drawings as pencil drawings and only line things you don't care about until you like your lining skills better :0 I had to relearn how to line digitally and I'm still basically a noob ;__;

Fimby these are my children my loves where i throw all my money my pens

I had to buy a second set because in fifth to seventh grade I trashed mine (snapped ink cartridges, lost pens, split nibs, oh my), hence the large amount of them, and I also have some in brown for a softer look ;w; The black pens are just random ones I use when I'm not feeling using my microns (crap draws etc etc). I mainly use black Micron pens size 03 and 005 and I take such good care of them now ok I love these things

ALSO would an art supply discussion thread be in order here? Because I dolphinately do love talking about art supplies and I could do it for days :3c
YEET

daiseerose

« Reply #8167 on: July 14, 2015, 02:33:16 PM »

I usually sketch things out beforehand and use ink/pens to clean it up and create lineart, then erase the pencil underneath (or not depending on if I really like how it feels). Lately the sketches underneath have gotten muuuuch rougher (no detail at all) and then I add most of the detail with pen instead of getting it all done beforehand. Like, here's what I'm talking about:

See the pencil sketch of Karri (my SSSSona) on the bottom right? I go straight from that to this:

All the details are added with pen. this is kind of a preview of the series of ssssonas i'm drawing right now actually

Kick, that will get better with more practice at lining. It's something you have to learn (sadly) and the best way is to leave your favorite drawings as pencil drawings and only line things you don't care about until you like your lining skills better :0 I had to relearn how to line digitally and I'm still basically a noob ;__;

I had to buy a second set because in fifth to seventh grade I trashed mine (snapped ink cartridges, lost pens, split nibs, oh my), hence the large amount of them, and I also have some in brown for a softer look ;w; The black pens are just random ones I use when I'm not feeling using my microns (crap draws etc etc). I mainly use black Micron pens size 03 and 005 and I take such good care of them now ok I love these things

ALSO would an art supply discussion thread be in order here? Because I dolphinately do love talking about art supplies and I could do it for days :3c
Definitely. I am new to all this art supply stuff, because I always just do it with pencil, but I want to try new supplies, and I have no idea where to go from there

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8168 on: July 14, 2015, 02:35:49 PM »

Hang on, is that Helen and Karri? Why haven't I seen these before, they look like some kind of amazing actual-history cross-over.

I think the art supplies topic comes up every now and then and people love to brag about their acquisitions, so sure, go for it.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #8169 on: July 14, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »

Magic 8-Ball says:

DEFINITELY YES

We already have several threads for discussing digital art resources; it would warm my antiquarian's heart to see one about actual pens, pencils, colors, paper, etc.  Please consider this a skaldic invitation to start a thread about art supplies.  I'm sure it would be madly popular.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #8170 on: July 14, 2015, 02:44:10 PM »
@Curry why do you hate yourself

obviously i dont mean that but how do you from point A to point Z without even touching Point G

And I won't be be able to use my lining pens for 2 months, at which at that point I will be terrified of them

No seriously i heard you guys saying that you kinda forgot how to do traditional art after doing digital for a while and when i did digital art for a straight week i kinda just looked at my pencil and paper like why

@dasieerose

Icon drawn by Piney

daiseerose

« Reply #8171 on: July 14, 2015, 02:50:33 PM »
@Curry why do you hate yourself

obviously i dont mean that but how do you from point A to point Z without even touching Point G

And I won't be be able to use my lining pens for 2 months, at which at that point I will be terrified of them

No seriously i heard you guys saying that you kinda forgot how to do traditional art after doing digital for a while and when i did digital art for a straight week i kinda just looked at my pencil and paper like why

@dasieerose

?

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8172 on: July 14, 2015, 03:01:33 PM »
?

Just DO IT.

I see your pens and raise you

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

daiseerose

« Reply #8173 on: July 14, 2015, 03:09:24 PM »
Just DO IT.

So he is a motivational speaker?

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8174 on: July 14, 2015, 03:11:15 PM »
Hee hee, it is! I'm going to draw about 35 fashion portraits of various SSSSonas wearing getups from about 1550 on. I have 6 done right now (adrai thell, authoroflight, haiz, MEEEE, sigrid marie, freddie) and a Sigrid Marie in the works and plans for lots of things ;3 It's mainly a fabric and pattern-drawing exercise for me with SSSS thrown in, oops...

You're crazy but in a good way, can't wait to see more!

So he is a motivational speaker?

It's Shjur Luburf, the actor.

Just DO IT.

Do you need this many pens or are you just collecting?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:12:59 PM by Fimbulvarg »