Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387999 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #630 on: October 21, 2014, 04:44:51 PM »
Snow!!! I was in the forest picking mushrooms today when suddenly it started snowing. Only small flakes and only for a little while, but still it snowed for the first time this autumn. Hurray, winter is coming! =) =) =)

Neat. I currently have the massive cold front sweeping over Scandinavia on my horizon, so the outlook is mostly the wrong kind of precipitation. Don't get too excited though, odds are the weather over most of Scandinavia will be stable with little precipitation, be it snow or rain.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:54:32 PM by Fimbulvarg »

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #631 on: October 21, 2014, 06:14:01 PM »
Glück auf!  Glück auf! (Or does anyone actually say that outside of Wagner operas?  Those are my only ongoing exposure to German, and I imagine they're not a 100% reliable guide...)
Well there is Glück auf, der Steiger kommt, but I guess that'ld rather be heard around my end of the nation instead of kex's ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #632 on: October 21, 2014, 10:09:48 PM »
I've had less energy, the last few days.  Barely feel like typing anything right now.  Not sure if it's lack of sleep, or the fact that I've been eating very, very poorly for several days in a row because I don't want to go to the store...  Probably both. 
Oh, well, today was good, at least.  I had my class at work again today, and we spent it learning about standards (by building with Legos),  and solving mysteries.  All in all, pretty fun, and I remember most of it. 

Edit:  Also, we've passed 5000 posts.  That's pretty awesome.  Thanks for using, all you users out there!  :)
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #633 on: October 21, 2014, 10:32:09 PM »
Agh! This morning I thought I would be a fun idea to take photos of all the giant spiders under our verandah, but my camera couldn't focus because its macro-4m range is poop. There's this one spider I really want to get a picture of, because he's either an interior designer, or the spider king because in the entryway to his web-lair he has the skeleton of a large moth, with its wings spread up around the doorway and he sits on it like a mighty moth throne U___Ù

So I gave up because I got a sore neck and I was a little unnerved about them being only <1m away above my face (hehe then I remembered I'm actually quite short, and that a taller person would be worse off XD) but as I was walking back to the door, a thing fell down my boot and  I froze, because it was either a leaf, or a spider ;___; and I just stood there for ages under the teeming ceiling trying to muster the leg-movement to take off the boot.....
I did it eventually. And it was just a leaf X'D

And just now, there's a tiny fluffy wren flying around eating them all like a boss!! It's so badass!!

I've had less energy, the last few days.  Barely feel like typing anything right now.  Not sure if it's lack of sleep, or the fact that I've been eating very, very poorly for several days in a row because I don't want to go to the store...  Probably both. 
Oh, well, today was good, at least.  I had my class at work again today, and we spent it learning about standards (by building with Legos),  and solving mysteries.  All in all, pretty fun, and I remember most of it. 

Edit:  Also, we've passed 5000 posts.  That's pretty awesome.  Thanks for using, all you users out there!  :)

Oooh! *5000 dance*

What is it with Minions and not wanting to go to the store when they need food? XD
What on earth have you and your roommates been feeding yourselves?! O__O Spam and fries?!
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #634 on: October 21, 2014, 10:52:06 PM »

Classes with Legos AND mystery-solving in them must be awesome.

Also, 5000 posts! Woo!

And just now, there's a tiny fluffy wren flying around eating them all like a boss!! It's so badass!!
Tiny fluffy wrens are the best. We have a birdhouse in our backyard, and some wrens took up residence. It was highly amusing watching them chase away the larger sparrows.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #635 on: October 21, 2014, 10:59:33 PM »
Agh! This morning I thought I would be a fun idea to take photos of all the giant spiders under our verandah, but my camera couldn't focus because its macro-4m range is poop. There's this one spider I really want to get a picture of, because he's either an interior designer, or the spider king because in the entryway to his web-lair he has the skeleton of a large moth, with its wings spread up around the doorway and he sits on it like a mighty moth throne U___Ù

So I gave up because I got a sore neck and I was a little unnerved about them being only <1m away above my face (hehe then I remembered I'm actually quite short, and that a taller person would be worse off XD) but as I was walking back to the door, a thing fell down my boot and  I froze, because it was either a leaf, or a spider ;___; and I just stood there for ages under the teeming ceiling trying to muster the leg-movement to take off the boot.....
I did it eventually. And it was just a leaf X'D

Oooh! *5000 dance*

What is it with Minions and not wanting to go to the store when they need food? XD
What on earth have you and your roommates been feeding yourselves?! O__O Spam and fries?!
They all have meal plans, so they eat at the cafeterias on campus.  I've been eating popcorn and peanut butter sandwiches for like 3 days now.  I have some eggs and bacon, but I always forget about them until it's really late... I might make some right now, anyway...  Also, I'm out of milk, so I've also only had water to drink for a while.  That much is good, at least.

Classes with Legos AND mystery-solving in them must be awesome.

Also, 5000 posts! Woo!
Tiny fluffy wrens are the best. We have a birdhouse in our backyard, and some wrens took up residence. It was highly amusing watching them chase away the larger sparrows.
Our teacher is really cool.  He compared mystery solving to Scooby Doo.  How awesome is that?  Aside from being fun, it was actually interesting stuff.  We had to solve a mystery about people who were sweating red liquid on airplanes.  All we knew were the flight paths, model of the plane, and that it occurred on flight attendant's hands, face, chest, and neck about 30 minutes into a flight.  We figured out it was the type of ink used on the floatation devices (with a helpful nudge from the teacher).  The attendants would demonstrate how to use them, and get an unapproved ink on their skin that would make them sweat red stuff during the flight.  I mean, that's just fun.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #636 on: October 21, 2014, 11:15:59 PM »

Congrats on the 5,000-post mark!  Is that high for a forum as young as ours?

Also, here's something easy to make for dinner that may help you feel better.  I often made it for myself when stumbling home at midnight after an evening school board meeting that went into extra innings.

PICK-ME-UP SOUP

1 15-oz. can good-quality chicken broth (Swanson low-sodium or similar)
1 egg
1/2 lemon
1-2 fistfuls of fresh spinach, washed and chopped a bit

Heat the chicken broth over medium heat in a saucepan.  Spoon out about 2 T. of broth into a cup or small bowl and crack the egg into it.  Beat the egg until it's all the same color.

Meanwhile, add about 1 T. of fresh lemon juice to the broth in the saucepan -- enough to make it just a little tarter than you like (because the egg and spinach will compensate for the sourness).

When the broth starts to simmer (bubble just a little), add the beaten egg/broth mixture and stir briskly so the egg makes rags (like Chinese egg drop soup).  Then add the spinach and stir gently for a minute or two, just until the spinach goes limp.  Taste and add salt/pepper as desired.

Eat promptly, with some toast or crackers.  This is delicious, but does not keep well (so don't double in order to have some left over for next time).

Feel better soon!   :)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #637 on: October 21, 2014, 11:51:36 PM »
Congrats on the 5,000-post mark!  Is that high for a forum as young as ours?

Also, here's something easy to make for dinner that may help you feel better.  I often made it for myself when stumbling home at midnight after an evening school board meeting that went into extra innings.
Pretty high, yep.  I blame the print drive for the recent surge of newcomers, too (hello new people!  are you there?).  It's been a pretty awesome 7 weeks, so far.

Anything beyond throwing something in a pan or a microwave is... beyond my grasp. 
Feel free to PM.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #638 on: October 22, 2014, 12:35:26 AM »
Pretty high, yep.  I blame the print drive for the recent surge of newcomers, too (hello new people!  are you there?).  It's been a pretty awesome 7 weeks, so far.

Anything beyond throwing something in a pan or a microwave is... beyond my grasp.

So many students start at this level. But there's hope. Even many of my scientists fellows startet chopping vegetables into a pot and let it cook. With soup you nearly can do nothing wrong. Especially with the recipies sunflower provides :).

Well there is Glück auf, der Steiger kommt, but I guess that'ld rather be heard around my end of the nation instead of kex's ...

The Ruhrgebiet isn't that far away ;) (or do they sind it somewhere else?). But I'm sure if I'd mention this phrase around here just someone hailing the cologne billy goat would get at me :D.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #639 on: October 22, 2014, 01:15:09 AM »

Making microwave soup sounds feasible then? In my experience, about 1.30min is enough to boil water, or heat it reasonably hot enough :3 you can cook anything in a microwave!!
I have a book somewhere, from around the time when microwaves were fairly new, that has heaps of recipes for the nuclear family of the 20th century XP maybe I'll scan it one day. Hahaha the presentation of the various dishes is soooo hilarious though..... So maybe I'll scan it just for the pictures, but oh-so-convenientlyaccidentally not crop out the recipes? ;) 

Edit: I just searched the bookshelf, didn't see it, which means...it's probably at the beach :( noooooooo it had decorative lemon halves and unnecessary parsley and weird 80s food trays and grape-bunch garnishes ;____;
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:26:20 AM by OrigamiOwl »

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #640 on: October 22, 2014, 05:57:05 AM »
Do you guys remember on Monday when I said I was sick but would probably get better in the morning? I was wrong. Instead I' getting worse. I actually missed math today, which is infinitely more dangerous than missing philosophy, and if this continues I'll miss my zoology lab tomorrow, which is even worse because we're learning about bugs now and that's like, my favourite thing ever.
My face feels like someone hit it repeatedly with a hammer. I think my knee (which I had already hurt) is trying to compete for the title of "most painful body part". Also, my body apparently thought this was a good time to start bleeding like someone frigging stabbed me in the crotch. I seriously hate my life.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #641 on: October 22, 2014, 06:08:04 AM »
Do you guys remember on Monday when I said I was sick but would probably get better in the morning? I was wrong. Instead I' getting worse. I actually missed math today, which is infinitely more dangerous than missing philosophy, and if this continues I'll miss my zoology lab tomorrow, which is even worse because we're learning about bugs now and that's like, my favourite thing ever.
My face feels like someone hit it repeatedly with a hammer. I think my knee (which I had already hurt) is trying to compete for the title of "most painful body part". Also, my body apparently thought this was a good time to start bleeding like someone frigging stabbed me in the crotch. I seriously hate my life.

Awwwww ThisCat!! *hugs* body's are dumb like that ;___; also, I've never heard anyone allude to grievous bodily harm before- and I've heard a LOT of different allusions and metaphors- so I had a little giggle, sorry ThisCat X) *sends all the hot water bottles*

That's terrible missing out on the bugs ;__; is there any way you could participate in class by distance? Or just ask for a heap of notes about what they did in class? :/

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #642 on: October 22, 2014, 06:18:20 AM »
Awwwww ThisCat!! *hugs* body's are dumb like that ;___; also, I've never heard anyone allude to grievous bodily harm before- and I've heard a LOT of different allusions and metaphors- so I had a little giggle, sorry ThisCat X) *sends all the hot water bottles*

That's terrible missing out on the bugs ;__; is there any way you could participate in class by distance? Or just ask for a heap of notes about what they did in class? :/

No, unfortunately, once I've missed it, I've missed it. There is a class on friday that I might be able to join if I feel better by then though.
 Mostly quiet.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #643 on: October 22, 2014, 06:50:11 AM »
No, unfortunately, once I've missed it, I've missed it. There is a class on friday that I might be able to join if I feel better by then though.
Hope you feel better soon. I think I might've picked up a cold from a friend at work yesterday, too.  Shouldn't have let him on our Lego assembly line...  Either way, hope you make it back to class sooner rather than later.
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #644 on: October 22, 2014, 06:55:31 AM »
Hope you feel better soon. I think I might've picked up a cold from a friend at work yesterday, too.  Shouldn't have let him on our Lego assembly line...  Either way, hope you make it back to class sooner rather than later.

Thank you. For now I'm just hoping that the paracet I took earlier will start working soon.
 Mostly quiet.