Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387678 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #8100 on: July 11, 2015, 02:11:49 PM »
Oh noooo D: At least it wasn't oil paint!

Yeah. Oil paint is pretty much the only thing that I don't work with. I have pretty much everything else. Watercolour, gauche, acrylic, alcohol based paint, random pen inks, embossing ink, uhhh and some stuff that I don't know what it is but it looks cool because it cracks when it dries. I also have various markers, pencil crayons, crayons, oil pastels, chalk pastels, and some ink stains (wow somehow this ended up as an inventory of my art cupboard... sorry).

My grandma does a lot of work with oil paint. I should really get her to teach me. She mostly paints views from around Niagara Falls and sells them in a little shop over there. We have her paintings up all around the house, and she actually just gave me one that I'd been admiring for a while as a moving out gift.

Edit: here it is

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:35:48 PM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #8101 on: July 11, 2015, 02:27:27 PM »
Sidenote: You know how they make you put all your liquids in a little bag to go on the plane? I put my paint in the same little plastic bag as my toothpaste, shampoo, and toothbrush. My black paint exploded... I guess I was maybe asking for it...

*consoling pats* This is a lesson I have learned as well. Anything liquid that I'd be sad to have spattered over everything else must be placed in its own separate baggie, preferably two baggies if it's likely to escape its tube.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8102 on: July 11, 2015, 02:50:26 PM »
*consoling pats* This is a lesson I have learned as well. Anything liquid that I'd be sad to have spattered over everything else must be placed in its own separate baggie, preferably two baggies if it's likely to escape its tube.

*nods* I kept my oil paints for painting class in a separate baggie than the rest of my paint stuff, and the bag was covered in paint by the end of the year. If only I'd had a larger bag to put my turpenoid in...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8103 on: July 11, 2015, 04:13:06 PM »
We're gonna go see mad max tonight, too!

*Nods approvingly* eat a Trdelnik and it will be the perfect day.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #8104 on: July 11, 2015, 04:38:15 PM »

Hey Fimby, nice Sigrun Blep avatar!   8)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #8105 on: July 11, 2015, 04:59:51 PM »
Haha, I have a joke about this, that my cousin used to tell all the time:

Once there was a blind man traveling through Texas, who decided to stop at a diner for breakfast.
Upon arriving, he ordered a cup of coffee. He was given a coffee mug the size of his head.
"Wow, this sure is a lot of coffee!" He exclaimed.
The waitress replied, "Everything's bigger in Texas."
The man decided to order a doughnut instead. The doughnut was the size of a car tire.
"Wow, this sure is a large doughnut," he said.
"Everything's bigger in Texas."
After his meal, the blind man asked the waitress if he could use the bathroom.
"Sure, it's the second door on the right."
Accidentally, the man turns left, and falls into an indoor swimming pool.
Panicked, he yells, "DON'T FLUSH!!"
I love Texas jokes. I have so many. One of my favorites:
God went missing from Heaven for six days, and then on the seventh returned to rest. The Archangel Michael asked, "God, where have you been all this time?"
God smiled and showed him a blue globe. "Look at what I have created, Michael," He said. "It is called Earth, and I have made it a perfect example of balance. Here, it is cold; here, hot. Here, wet; here, dry. Here, I will put people with black skin; here, people with white skin. Here I have mountains and valleys; here, flat, rolling plains."
Michael looked at the Earth with awe, and asked, "Which place is your favorite?"
God pointed to Texas and said, "I have plans for this spot. Here I will put people who are friendly, honest, generous, hard-working, respectful, and wise. They will build their livelihoods with their own hands and expect nothing in return for giving their all."
Michael nodded, then frowned, puzzled. "But God, You said that You would have a perfect example of balance."
God smiled again and said, "Wait until you see the idiots I will put in D.C."
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8106 on: July 11, 2015, 05:07:46 PM »
Hey Fimby, nice Sigrun Blep avatar!   8)
Thanks, nice vegetable avatar.

God pointed to Texas and said, "I have plans for this spot. Here I will put people who are friendly, honest, generous, hard-working, respectful, and wise.

*CoughGeorgeWBushCough*

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #8107 on: July 11, 2015, 05:43:23 PM »

*CoughGeorgeWBushCough*
When my grandmother was dying the nurse was checking her cognitive levels or something, and so she was asking questions like, "How old are you? How many fingers am I holding up?" Then she asked, "Who is the president of the United States?" My grandmother asked, "Do I have to answer?"
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #8108 on: July 11, 2015, 06:20:27 PM »
Housemate thursday : "My friend G. is coming saturday and might stay until monday or thuesday". Ok.
Housemate friday : "And my parents come saturday to eat with us". All right.
Housemate saturday : "G. may stay a week." Yeeeeeees... ?
Okay now and after the last two weeks with peoples nearly every day here, sharing a house is complicated *Deep need of being alone in a quiet place, which couldn't be the house I can't see as my home*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #8109 on: July 11, 2015, 11:30:43 PM »
Update: I'M OKAY I SURVIVED

it actually was really fun :) Nobody really recognized my costume but I met two other Haikyuu cosplayers and took pictures with them :)
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

daiseerose

« Reply #8110 on: July 11, 2015, 11:58:59 PM »
So is someone going to make a lgbtqa topic? I'm just curious? Sorry if I sound rude.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #8111 on: July 12, 2015, 02:18:02 AM »
So is someone going to make a lgbtqa topic? I'm just curious? Sorry if I sound rude.

Well, nobody *has*, so far.  But like the Gender Issues thread, I'm sure there'll be one if and when somebody feels like starting one.  This fandom is quite diverse, so I'm sure we'd have people interested in posting. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #8112 on: July 12, 2015, 04:10:15 AM »

I'm glad that we have formed a group of people that are just pushing eachother to watch mad max again and again

I didn't get to eat a trdelnik (i did, however, see a trdelnik vendor as it closed. now I know they are in brno as well) but seeing it again was really great because I finally saw it with someone as equally pumped about it as me

1st time:
me: so what do you think
friend: it was pretty good, but... It had a little too many cars for my taste.

2nd time:
me: so what do you think
friend: ...THAT WAS THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN I HAD TO HOLD MY HAND OVER MY MOUTH TO KEEP FROM SCREAMING IN EXCITEMENT

and then we spent fifteen minutes waiting for the midnight bus just grinning stupidly and pointing out every single detail from the movie

But then the bus driver drew like we were on the fury road and I almost flew out of my seat several times
you'll know where to find me.

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8113 on: July 12, 2015, 04:22:12 AM »
it actually was really fun :) Nobody really recognized my costume but I met two other Haikyuu cosplayers and took pictures with them :)
Ooh, who were the Haikyuu cosplayers cosplaying?
& I watched the first few minutes of Mad Max with my sister the other day but she couldn't stomach the weird scene with the ladies and the milk (???) so she left, and it's no fun watching movies without her. D:
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #8114 on: July 12, 2015, 04:24:14 AM »
But then the bus driver drew like we were on the fury road and I almost flew out of my seat several times

Heh, when I went to see it the first time my friend had a mildly concerned expression on the parking lot afterwards when they remembered I (the easily impressionable one) would be driving.