Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409618 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #7950 on: July 09, 2015, 02:29:13 AM »
Don't ever stop. :D
BUT I TRY SO HARD

I could absolutely see it prancing about the orloj.
been there done that

I'd say 1.5hr would be feasible for a weekend/all-day thing, but that's up for interpretation.
I mean, we drive 6hr to cross the state and see family for 3 or 4 day weekends fairly regularly, so ... [insert math here] 1.5hr would be OK for, say, daylong events? idk, don't listen to me, it takes hours to get anywhere out here in the Wild West.
we....... regularly drive 29 hours to visit my family on either side (far norwegian or czech).......... by "regularly" i mean either once or twice a year. sometimes, bless the stars, we travel by plane. Doesn't stop "woops i slept through the entirety of denmark" from being an actual valid sentence many times in my life

and it's for longer than just a weekend, too, I admit. driving back and forth would be the whole 4 day weekend. HOWEVER, whenever I wanna spend a 4 day weekend visiting one of my friends... spend a whole day on trains or spend a lot of money on plane tickets?? wheeeeeeeee eee ._______________."

and last time i was driven anywhere for a day event it was 3 hours one way into middle of nowhere for a folk music competition.

OKAY i know this sounds like a lot of obnoxious one-upping and that's not my intention. this is me complaining about the inaccessibility of norway. whenever we drive northwards we travel through sweden and finland because they have better roads

RTR logic:
-Have approximately 1,000 things to do before 8:00 am tomorrow
-Time to draw my feelings on the subject!
Spoiler: show

I'm seriously so excited and also terrified.
I RELATE TO THIS A LOT AND I CAN ASSURE YOU YOU WILL BE FINE!!! also yooo you'll be working at an art supply store? that's living the dream

hurgh wruh I'm trying to decide whether or not I'm up for another day of receptionisting,, I'm still not feeling in shape but I'm not feeling not-in-shape to skip it
and I enjoy being in the reception even if there's not a lot for me to do so it gets really boring sometimes
and even when i DO do something it's
a lot of yo-yoing between

being genuinely helpful

and

remembering i'm an incredibly awkward and embarassing person and i shouldn't be in public
you'll know where to find me.

videovance

« Reply #7951 on: July 09, 2015, 03:27:12 AM »
to be 100% honest, I thought I read 29 hours wrong the first time, like "haha! 29 hours? don't be silly, me, there's... no... way... oh."
0_0 that is. a ridiculously long drive. I honestly can't imagine that long of a drive, or even driving through other countries! I mean, here, if you drive out two hours away, you are simply two hours away from where you started. not even close to another country! That is so cool and terrifying. Oh man. Oh geez how do road laws work over there w h a t [terrified islander yelling]

ahhh I hope you are feeling up for work! and goodness, you're not an embarrassing person! It's your job to help people (i assume?) so, uh, being happy to help like Reynir is really appreciated? I am so sorry, I'm really bad at this [buries face in hands]

And if you get bored, you can always try making up stories for everyone who passes you by? I tended to do this a lot whenever I got stuck with cleaning and re-organising things at work. Such as, "that couple is absolutely part of a secret spy service to protect unicorns", or "I bet that kid is a champion at chubby bubbies" and silly things like that. It tends to make the day go by faster 0u0

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #7952 on: July 09, 2015, 03:52:56 AM »
we....... regularly drive 29 hours to visit my family on either side (far norwegian or czech)
And I was thinking 9 hours in a car to visit a part of my family at the other side of France when I was little was a big journey...

hurgh wruh I'm trying to decide whether or not I'm up for another day of receptionisting,, I'm still not feeling in shape but I'm not feeling not-in-shape to skip it
and I enjoy being in the reception even if there's not a lot for me to do so it gets really boring sometimes
and even when i DO do something it's
a lot of yo-yoing between
being genuinely helpful
and
remembering i'm an incredibly awkward and embarassing person and i shouldn't be in public
Being at the reception you're inevitably helpful :)

RTR logic:
-Have approximately 1,000 things to do before 8:00 am tomorrow
-Time to draw my feelings on the subject!
Spoiler: show

I'm seriously so excited and also terrified.
It will be great :) And you'll be great too ! :D
(Moreover, your logical is... absolutely logical ^^)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #7953 on: July 09, 2015, 04:04:36 AM »
A few years ago I made a drive that was about 29 hours. It was on a bus with 48 other high schoolers. We drove from the northern US all the way to Florida. All night. And all day. 49 high schoolers. One bus. One broken toilet. I do not reccomend trying it. One kid consumed a giant gummy bear the size of his head and spent the whole night making pterodactyl noises.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #7954 on: July 09, 2015, 04:58:31 AM »
i was THIS CLOSE
but

*facepalms self to bed*

I can't even pretend to be surprised. I saw this coming a mile away.

If I ever ran a Trdelnik stand I'd call it "The Magical Unicorn's Trdelniks with Mysterious Magical Sprinkles". What are the "Mysterious Magical Sprinkles"?.... Well, buy one and you might find out.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #7955 on: July 09, 2015, 05:07:05 AM »
If I ever ran a Trdelnik stand I'd call it "The Magical Unicorn's Trdelniks with Mysterious Magical Sprinkles". What are the "Mysterious Magical Sprinkles"?.... Well, buy one and you might find out.

Hmmm... How alive would one be after the consumption of these aforementioned "Mysterious Magical Sprinkles"?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #7956 on: July 09, 2015, 05:08:02 AM »
Hmmm... How alive would one be after the consumption of these aforementioned "Mysterious Magical Sprinkles"?

Why, more alive than ever!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7957 on: July 09, 2015, 05:27:35 AM »

I know I should probably not think too much on this but somehow that doesn't make me trust them any better... I think I'd try them anyway though because now I'm curious.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #7958 on: July 09, 2015, 05:47:13 AM »
- haha ha yeah 29 hours was not a typo, but i MAY BE remembering wrong and maybe it's just 19 hours to finnmark? We split the journey over two days anyhow, and I spend most of the time sleeping or chaining for shiny pokemon in the back seat (logbook, january 2nd: two shiny cottonees, two shiny larvestas)

i just spend a lot of time sitting in a car ok

I can't even pretend to be surprised. I saw this coming a mile away.
"saw it coming" you mean you cAUSED IT

I'll take one
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:51:05 AM by Haiz »

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #7959 on: July 09, 2015, 06:08:50 AM »
I know I should probably not think too much on this but somehow that doesn't make me trust them any better... I think I'd try them anyway though because now I'm curious.

I... think I'll just use you as a guinea pig and wait and see what happens :D

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #7960 on: July 09, 2015, 06:09:39 AM »
"saw it coming" you mean you cAUSED IT

Let's not play the blame game here, I mean - you're the loose (art) cannon here, not I. I'm just an enabler.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #7961 on: July 09, 2015, 06:15:27 AM »
Nonsense, look how cheerful he is!
Nothing could go wrong.

Mélusine

« Reply #7962 on: July 09, 2015, 06:49:13 AM »
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #7963 on: July 09, 2015, 09:37:08 AM »
Things I can't do at the reception:
- check-ins
- check-outs
- changing currency/anything to do with money
- take the phone
- order cabs
- speak spanish
- speak german
- speak russian

Things I CAN do at the reception:
- point people in the direction of the bathrooms
- point people in the direction of the mall
- point in the direction of the escalators to the conference floor
- explain where the metro is
- the most basic of paperworky things
- take people's postcards for posting but only if they already have stamps
- fetch phones guests have put to charging
- talk to swedes

Things i can MAYBE do:
- check if someone's room is ready
- explain how to get somewhere in prague

most common scenario:
Me: *sees guest approaching*
me: :D
me: MAY I HELP YOU :D
guest: yes, actually
guest: *detailed explanation of needs*
me: :D
me: :D :D :D
me: i'm so sorry but I can't help you please ask one of my colleagues :D
(bonus points if said colleagues are all busy with a lot of other guests)

i also solved my boredom problem
things there are a lot of at reception:
- pens
- stacks upon stacks of discarded papers with one side printed
Spoiler: exactly what you think im doing • show

nobody is surprised

Let's not play the blame game here, I mean - you're the loose (art) cannon here, not I. I'm just an enabler.

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #7964 on: July 09, 2015, 10:02:27 AM »

Think of it this way: you are literally getting paid to sit there and draw :D

This is why I like babysitting/nannying so much. Turn on tv for kid/put kid to sleep>spend the next 5 or so hours drawing/reading>get paid lots of money

Also Fimby that trophy is well deserved. I haven't been here as long as Haiz and Laufey, and even I know it :P