Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411012 times)

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #7860 on: July 06, 2015, 05:28:35 PM »
*joins you in freaking out* EEeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!  :D

*EEEEEing in unison*

We'll get to see all the books adapted in detail!! I just can't wait!!

Looking for postcards, I'm opening boxes which hadn't been opened since my move in January. For this moment, I count 25 notebooks in various sizes. And the 4 I'm using now.Don't let me go in a stationery shop.

Hello there, fellow stationery addicted! :)

We've been talking about getting a pug!

If we are actually gonna do that, we're gonna first get a new home for one of our other dogs, who is a nervous wreck. We've been thinking about this a lot and it's gonna be hard as I love her so much, but the problem is she can't deal with kids, other dogs and strangers in general, and we live in a packed neighborhood, so...

And we gotta be really picky with who we get the pug from. Mainly because pugs are walking genetic defects thanks to generations of selective breeding (as with a lot of other races, like the chihuahuas) so we'd rather avoid getting it from a breeder with a terrible track record. I'd rather not enable any diseases.

Pugs make me a little nervous... They always sound like they are out of breath, I get so worried. D:
They are so cute, though.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #7861 on: July 06, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »
Looking for postcards, I'm opening boxes which hadn't been opened since my move in January. For this moment, I count 25 notebooks in various sizes. And the 4 I'm using now.Don't let me go in a stationery shop.

Ha I am right there with you. Especially when it comes to those really pretty leather journals with intricate patterns on them. Then I need like 5. :D
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

« Reply #7862 on: July 06, 2015, 07:10:19 PM »
Hello there, fellow stationery addicted! :)

Ha I am right there with you. Especially when it comes to those really pretty leather journals with intricate patterns on them. Then I need like 5. :D
Must I say I'm waiting for a new one I will receive soon ? ::) I need it, I swear !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #7863 on: July 06, 2015, 08:59:50 PM »
Ggghhhh, I'm in such a lazy state.
I want to draw, I want to do things. It's not like I don't have any ideas, I'm full of them. But everytime I think about getting things done, I'm like "meh, no."
I know that once I start something I won't be able to stop, but first I have to defeat The Mighty Gray Monster of Laziness.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7864 on: July 06, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »
I want to draw, I want to do things. It's not like I don't have any ideas, I'm full of them. But everytime I think about getting things done, I'm like "meh, no."
I know that once I start something I won't be able to stop, but first I have to defeat The Mighty Gray Monster of Laziness.

Ah man, I've been in that state for a few days... I can't help you, but

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #7865 on: July 06, 2015, 10:27:49 PM »
Ah man, I've been in that state for a few days... I can't help you, but

Thank you... I hope this will end soon. :(

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #7866 on: July 07, 2015, 02:00:27 AM »
oh yet i forgot to mention that im going to haiti for 53 days, or more accu, the rest of the summer (can you see how excited i am. weeee,woooooooooooooooooo.weeeeeeeeeeeeeee. so exciting.) so my forum activity will be down for sure

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #7867 on: July 07, 2015, 05:33:53 AM »

THIS. So much this.

Currently I'm not in this state, because I have like 3 Forum-related projects running, but when it comes to non-computer stuff I'm very familiar with this. It went to the extremes last august, when doing nothing got to the point that it almost hurt, I kept having the thoughts "You're doing absolutely nothing." "You're just wasting your time." "You're wasting your opportunities." "You're wasting your life." and I got into the impossible state of waiting for school to start so that I will have to do things.
But it's a lot better now, when the Laziness Monster attacks, I can remember those feelings to make it surrender and go away. And from the point I start something, I don't stop, like you. :D

Some other tips:
  • If it's a small task that can be finished in less than 30 minutes or the like, start it NOW. NO, not in a moment, not in 5 minutes, not after doing X. NOW. And whoosh, you get a lot of small things done! ;)
  • If it's something bigger, don't think about "Argh, I won't be able to finish this for a looong time, I have other things to do" Try breaking it up to smaller parts to do one at a time and then apply the above.
  • If you need support with doing stuff telling that you will do it here does help quite a lot. I could easily start playing Minecraft now, but I won't because at least 4-5 people are waiting for the reaction image hoard to get finished so they can fill it with stuff and use it.
Uh... sorry for rambling, I'm not sure if it helped at all, but I hope. :)
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7868 on: July 07, 2015, 06:00:49 AM »
ok so I'm finally a receptionist
of sorts
I'll be there this week and help out however I can, which is not in many ways so far
things that have happened today so far:

- there were two boys asking to change money and when they spoke between themself it was absolute gibberish and I spent so long trying to figure out what language it was. Later I found out they were finns. of course they were finns. why didn't i realize sooner. how

- an older lady who I assume to be Indian based on her accent needed someone to translate her specific instructions to the hairdresser. That's the most helpful I've been all day

- So instead of being surrounded by ukrainian women speaking russian to eachother, I'm surrounded by native czech dudes and I'm not sure whether or not it's better or worse to understand what they say to eachother. One of them, he... he keeps telling me that the other receptionist is his brother from another mother. I think he has told me five times. He has asked me if I have any brothers. I swear I can hear him mutter "my bros... my brothers... bros..." all the time. I'm worried

- he also found out I was Norwegian - it's always a hard decision, letting people know I'm Norwegian and that's why I might not understand all the czech terminology, ooor let them keep thinking I'm just clueless. He has started pointing at things and asks me if I know what it's called. It doesn't matter what i say they still laugh at me and tell me another word for it and they all sound fake
you'll know where to find me.

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7869 on: July 07, 2015, 07:04:13 AM »
LOOK EVERYBODY NETFLIX IS MAKING A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS A SHOW LOOK ITS A TRAILER
EEEEEH |D
Also congratulations on your new job, Haiz! Hopefully those Czech guys don't give you too much trouble.  :-\
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #7870 on: July 07, 2015, 09:31:30 AM »
Seconding that congratz Haiz :)

- there were two boys asking to change money and when they spoke between themself it was absolute gibberish and I spent so long trying to figure out what language it was. Later I found out they were finns. of course they were finns. why didn't i realize sooner. how
The Finns are everywhere. I met one here yesterday :P

Today I went to the beach, I haven't been to the beach in over a year. I put my toes in.

You can see my super awkward sandal tan  ::)
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7871 on: July 07, 2015, 09:48:45 AM »
The Finns are everywhere. I met one here yesterday :P

So it is. I was once minding my own business downtown and this random tourist couple started to badmouth my choice of clothing (I was wearing a skirt which apparently made them worry I would catch my death)(it wasn't even that cold that day) in Finnish which, obviously, I understand quite well. True to my inner Finnishness I didn't say anything though, just made a mental note that Finns are everywhere and not to trust Finnish as a secret language, ever, high chance of backfiring.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #7872 on: July 07, 2015, 10:07:37 AM »
So it is. I was once minding my own business downtown and this random tourist couple started to badmouth my choice of clothing (I was wearing a skirt which apparently made them worry I would catch my death)(it wasn't even that cold that day) in Finnish which, obviously, I understand quite well. True to my inner Finnishness I didn't say anything though, just made a mental note that Finns are everywhere and not to trust Finnish as a secret language, ever, high chance of backfiring.

I've used Icelandic as a secret language. I think it works pretty well (just as long as you're not, you know, in Iceland) I've had the most success with it in the US. A lot of people there don't know Icelandic exists and I've had people ask me why I'm writing things in Elvish before.

Also the guy I met is friends with like all the Canadians in Kyoto, so I think it might be a thing that Finnish people automatically get all the Canadians. I'm starting to see a pattern. He even called Finland "The Canada of Europe".

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7873 on: July 07, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »
Finns are not the only ones everywhere, apparently.

guests: *speaking english*
me: oh hey that accent sounds scandinavian. and their last names are hjort could they be norw-
guests: *speaking swedish between themselves*
me, in czech, to receptionist: "tHEY'RE SWEDES"
receptionist: "you recognize that??"
me: "yes"
me: *tries not to do anything embarassing*
me: *vibrates with effort of not being embarassing*
me:
me, at guests: "HEJDÅ!!!!!!!"
guests: !
me:
me: i'm so embarassing

in my defense I woke up an hour before my alarm today and can feel that my brain doesn't have all its wires properly connected
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #7874 on: July 07, 2015, 10:50:24 AM »
I've used Icelandic as a secret language. I think it works pretty well (just as long as you're not, you know, in Iceland) I've had the most success with it in the US. A lot of people there don't know Icelandic exists and I've had people ask me why I'm writing things in Elvish before.

Also the guy I met is friends with like all the Canadians in Kyoto, so I think it might be a thing that Finnish people automatically get all the Canadians. I'm starting to see a pattern. He even called Finland "The Canada of Europe".

Icelandic and Finnish both work as secret languages even within the countries if you have a thick enough an accent, I had a rough first year here of absolutely no one understanding me. :D Also reminds me of some movie, the name escapes me but the characters used Finnish as a secret language, only the pronunciation was so far off that you only realized it happening if it was pointed out.

Well... we're also in the north and like ice hockey but to be honest we never apologize for anything and you can't exactly call Finns "polite", no matter which way you try to look at it.

On another topic, today's going to be just rivets, rivets, rivets. I've only got a bit over a hundred of them in and my fingers already hurt, this is probably the most I've bled on a cosplay ever. Besides I'm also having painful flashbacks to my youth as a mopey punk to add insult to the injuries... :P
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: