Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410646 times)

ParanormalAndroid

Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #7620 on: June 28, 2015, 10:07:34 AM »
I second these questions. Mostly for FaceBook.
Okay, so I've had Facebook for a while and only got Tumblr recently.
Facebook's meant to be for keeping in touch with friends, but really people only use it to keep up with sites/people/bands etc. and for group conversations and the like.
Unless you know a lot of people who already use it regularly, I'd probably say don't get it. I only really stay on due to a few groups I need to keep up with.
Tumblr, well, you can blog about pretty much anything, set up multiple blogs, etc.. It has its restrictions, but it's actually a pretty good blogging tool (though if you want a full-featured blog, I'd say get Wordpress instead). From what I've seen so far. Tumblr is *full* of art/fanart/etc, so if that's a major selling point for you then I'd say go for it.
Hope that helps, but for more details on Tumblr, I'd say ask Haiz, Solovei or Curry- they all seem pretty well-established on it, more so than me in any case.
(sorry for the huge post, eesh)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:09:42 AM by ParanormalAndroid »

Silent Fox

• Scout
  • Speaks little, writes a lot
« Reply #7621 on: June 28, 2015, 10:32:48 AM »
I have some questions for those of you who have tumblrs:

What exactly does one use one's tumblr for? How does it work?
I do have a different blog not on tumblr that I made this year, but it's mostly just random travel stuff that I do and some photos of places I'm visiting and art stuff. Is that the kind of thing one puts on tumblr?
Is having a tumblr worth it?

Also completely unrelated to tumblr, but is getting a facebook worth it?

You don't have to tell me whether I should join either of these sites, I am mostly just curious to hear some different opinions and experiences on them so I can make better decisions.
(Don't mind me, I am just really bad at social media internet stuff)

Tumblr appears to be site where people can post images or share stories blog-style (never had a blog myself, though). I mostly use it to follow/stalk people who post nature scenery/clothing/dolls, etc. I myself post outfit photos for the most part. You basically get a homepage, which is an aggregate of new posts the people you follow have made since the last time you logged on. You can find some beautiful images on there. *_* And yes, your travel stuff would fit in perfectly well! People will post about literally anything, both the good and the bad. >_> I like it as I find it relaxing to scroll through after a stressful day and bask in pretty stuff. :)
I needed to set up a Facebook to connect with the community college I attended, but outside of that I haven't logged on in years. I personally prefer Tumblr. I hope this has helped. :)
Native: :germany:
Getting fluent after 10 years: :usa:

:chap7: :chap8:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #7622 on: June 28, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »
I'm still not able to understand how to do with tumblr which only allow me to see a few things on a page but no more.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #7623 on: June 28, 2015, 11:09:41 AM »
i thought there would be more explosions

I'm not sure we've watched the same movie in that case, compared to most movies Fury Road is an explosion fiesta.

I'm trying to think of a single complaint I have about this film, just so I don't sound like a drooling fanboy, but I'm having genuine difficulty doing so!
Some of the background worldbuilding can get a bit confusing. There, that's all I can think of.
I guess you could also say there are some elements to the film that seem odd or inconsistent if you dwell on them. Mostly because they aren't well explained - but I shouldn't spoil them.

Anyways, I think the recasting of Max is a good thing, partly because #%£&¤?@ Mel Gibson.

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #7624 on: June 28, 2015, 12:29:47 PM »

I do have a different blog not on tumblr that I made this year, but it's mostly just random travel stuff that I do and some photos of places I'm visiting and art stuff. Is that the kind of thing one puts on tumblr?

Ahaha tumblr was mentioned and curry was summoned

1. It's not the most social media site, so you mainly use it for posting cool things you've made (like fashion or art or cosplay), photography, 'aesthetic' (i really cannot describe this one because tumblr has twisted the meaning so much. you'll see if you join.), or fandom stuff. A lot of it is reblogging things you find interesting or funny.
2. yep! that is exactly the thing tumblr wants you to put (instead of misspelled text posts about dogs or eggs or memes) because i'm pretty sure the site was intended to be cool and hipster (spoiler alert: it's not)
3. ehhhh?? There's some cool stuff there for sure but I mainy stay on there for cat pictures and pretty art. It's got a lil bit of a crazy community.
YEET

Lainer3

« Reply #7625 on: June 28, 2015, 12:42:50 PM »

Also completely unrelated to tumblr, but is getting a facebook worth it?

You don't have to tell me whether I should join either of these sites, I am mostly just curious to hear some different opinions and experiences on them so I can make better decisions.
(Don't mind me, I am just really bad at social media internet stuff)

About facebook first. When I got on facebook, it was very popular, and a lot of people wrote personal updates and stuff like that. Now, it seems people mostly use it to stalk each other. The only thing I really use it for anymore, is schoolrelated groups. It's easy to do group chats, or share/send documents.

Tumblr now. I have two blogs on here. I first started using Tumblr, to give my family a way to keep up with my experiences as an au pair. I tried a lot of different blog sites, but I found that tumblr was easy to use on my phone, and I could make both short and longer posts, upload pictures with or without text, etc. I really just liked how easy it was to use. It's also easy to switch between which blog to use, if you have more than one.
If you follow other blogs on tumblr, you get their posts on your "dashboard" (a bit like pinterest). You can like other posts, or comment on them, or reblog them. And of course make your own posts too.
You can also connect tumblr with other social media, so when you post, it shows up on twitter, facebook, whatever you're using.
I connected my travel tumblr with facebook, so it was easy to find, for whoever might be interested.

I hope this helped a bit.

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #7626 on: June 28, 2015, 02:29:19 PM »

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #7627 on: June 28, 2015, 02:42:43 PM »

I am a tumblr and I can confirm that this is 100% accurate
YEET

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #7628 on: June 28, 2015, 02:57:34 PM »
I am a tumblr and I can confirm that this is 100% accurate

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #7629 on: June 28, 2015, 02:59:18 PM »
I don't have Tumblr but when I go there is for search this and SSSS stuff. I'm not even sorry hahah
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #7630 on: June 28, 2015, 03:52:01 PM »
My brother just offered to sell me his old phone (which has a cracked screen). I do need a phone, and I can get it from him much cheaper than at any store, but then I'd have to pay for service, which is $45 a month. (Which is a little less than about seven hours' wages at min. wage) I recently left my temp job, and will be looking at college housing fees and tuition costs at the end of the summer.
Is it really worth it?
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #7631 on: June 28, 2015, 05:25:52 PM »
PHEW I'm back. as you may or may not have noticed from me spamming pictures and doodles everywhichwhere

Last year I was at a humongous family gathering up in Finnmark with as many of my norwegian/nordic relatives as could get there, and that was nowhere as intense as spending this weekend with... five of my czech relatives. One of them is my cousin who's been working at a poker dealer in england for over a year, and I think he's cool but I have no idea how to talk to him and what about?? another was my new cousin that is a baby and... it's a baby. grandma keeps asking me what I think of my cousin but it's a tiny blob that has yet to develop speech, let alone a personality, what am I supposed to think?? i answered "it's a baby"
...... Antillanka admitted to thinking about me when drawing that Lalli-with-kids picture, and I have to admit it's very very accurate. Everyone seems to know how to go into googoo mode and make appropriate non-words and movements and I'm there like "hello small human. I shall respect that you are not blorptroll and I won't raise my voice when I ask you to kindly stop making noises"

I'm just glad to be back at a hotel room for myself. it's clean and it has wifi and no insects and ah what a relief

aaaaaaaand someone mentioned me being a tumblr mentor? I don't really have a good way to explain tumblr because... getting used to tumblr takes time? it's pretty addictive and it there are a lot of different communities there and it can get intense, but there is indeed lots of nice art and fandom things and yeah. I can help out with things if you have specific questions I guess? I literally can't say if having a tumblr is worth it. tumblr taketh and tumblr giveth

also yeah facebook is great for keeping contact with friends I guess? I was later than most in getting one, but in the end I did it mostly to keep contact with my czech friends and now I keep contact with all my friends on it basically. 2010!haiz would be ashamed to hear that, but 2010!haiz doesn't have nowhere as many friends as 2015!haiz anyway so 2010!haiz has nothing to say on that
you'll know where to find me.

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #7632 on: June 28, 2015, 07:27:51 PM »
Ahhhhrrg, my computer is on a fritz again. That is not good. Well, I found my phone, so that is good. Sooooooo bored... Bletchley ahh what does Bletchley even mean? I was trying to type blhergh! Stupid auto carrot.
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #7633 on: June 28, 2015, 07:35:57 PM »
Ahhhhrrg, my computer is on a fritz again. That is not good. Well, I found my phone, so that is good. Sooooooo bored... Bletchley ahh what does Bletchley even mean? I was trying to type blhergh! Stupid auto carrot.
"Auto carrot"

As for Bletchley, only thing I can think of is Bletchley Park- British intelligence station during WWII, where Alan Turing worked on decoding the German Enigma machine.

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #7634 on: June 28, 2015, 08:04:24 PM »
On the topic of learning new things (thanks Andy xD) I recently learned what the word 'haver' means. O 3O
Then I realized it could be used to describe what I do during most of any conversation I've had and felt the urge to throw my phone across the room xP

Boop-boop-ba-doop~