Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410544 times)

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #510 on: October 16, 2014, 10:29:08 AM »
Hehehe, I managed to finish it in time. But morning?! Nooooo... I mostly do stuff when I'm already at school >_>

Okay, so yesterday was a forgetful day? Today was even worse. Not only did I forget my bag for PE class (which happens quite often), but I forgot my iPad. My iPad, where all the books and assignments and notes and important things are stored. I'm surprised none of the teachers found out o.O

Yay! I was thinking of college assignments, which in my case were due at 5 in the afternoon, so it wasn't that bad. Doing homework at school, though; brings back memories of borrowing homework to copy.  8)

How did you get by through the classes without your iPad? Would sharing with a friend be enough? You'll have to put up reminders for tomorrow in case you get all forgetful again. Here, I'll help you stick post-it notes all over your room.  :D

By the way, my cat recently demonstrated that she could open my window screens (the kind that slides on the track) from the outside. Is this common, or do I have an evil genius cat?

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #511 on: October 16, 2014, 10:51:01 AM »
No college for me yet. That's good! But yeah, if I had stuff due at 5 in the afternoon I'd obviously do it that morning.

Welllll... In art class I mostly use the only real book I have, so that was okay. Maths was harder, but I just shared with my bankmate. Then in science I barely got away, don't ask me how O_o

Evil genius cat. Definitely.

Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #512 on: October 16, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »
I should encourage you to start your assignments before the day they're due (saving a blank document with the right title doesn't count), but eh, rite of passage.  ;D

In my experience, teachers tend to be more lenient on known good students, so that might be part of the reason. (Why yes, I am assuming that you're known to be a good student.)

She slid it open once, and lifted the screen out of the tracks twice. We decided to keep her on the balcony at night, instead of letting her stay in the back yard.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #513 on: October 16, 2014, 12:44:35 PM »

... my teaching skills will get tested next monday. I'm a little bit nervous about it.

Aww, I'm sure you'll do fine!  (And not "juuuust fiiine" a la Puppy-Fox from aRTD, either.)
You've done a great job with *us* -- informative, patient, friendly, funny.  I picture you in the classroom as Miss Honey in Roald Dahl's "Matilda" -- minus the abusive headmistress, hopefully.   ;)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #514 on: October 16, 2014, 12:55:55 PM »
On a rating of 1 to 10, how silly is it to [...]
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-08/biosecurity-tasmania-explains-the-decision-on-orange-import/5798450
If were a smaller scale test, carried out somewhere else, (like a lab, or their own state) that would be better maybe...?
I can see why they would want to run the experiment someplace where there are actual orange farms, as estimating how such farms might be more or less likely to catch an infestation than a test tube in a lab would be a sheer guessing game. But doing it someplace where there's so much opportunity to ruin things that they (apparently?) cannot even promise compensation, should things go sour, is ... a bit leaning towards the double digit end of the spectrum. ???
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #515 on: October 16, 2014, 12:56:28 PM »
You're pretty right there, they don't want to cool the fruit down because they're assuming that the fruit flies won't be a problem in the winter, which is interesting, but their experiment to test it puts a lot at risk for one experiment with orange imports :/ (eg: only checking 2%) we don't have the fruit flies here, and it's kind of our little niche in the fruit trade that props up a lot of business here :( and it was a little bit rude of them not to properly inform the Fruit Growers Association- especially with a test trial this big.

I might be paranoid but there'd have to be a fairly high chance of it going wrong in some way, and I think a lot of fruit growers would just prefer no risk to their livelihoods if it can be avoided: a lot of work has been put into keeping these flies and diseases off the island for this long, and it would suck if it all went down the drain for the benefit of another (better-off financially etc) state :/ it just feels......not good....? If were a smaller scale test, carried out somewhere else, (like a lab, or their own state) that would be better maybe...?

It seems like someone saying "Hey there, we're going to inject you with the plague, because we have a theory that you might be fine. If you're not fine: you'll just die horribly, but if you survive: we'll keep injecting you until you eventually die anyway. But it should be fine." :/

Now that I've read the story, I sympathize, O.O.  As a former journalist who covered agriculture (among other things), I think this is both potential bad news for growers, and "bad news" in a literal sense.  That story sounds like a press release from the Biosecurity agency!  There's an insultingly bland statement from the official:

Andrew Bishop from Biosecurity Tasmania says ... fruit growers in the state should not be concerned about the arrival of fruit fly.
  Uh -- why shouldn't they be concerned??

And no countervailing opinions quoted!  Or background (for those who come late to the story) about why you'd want to loosen the chilling requirements in the first place -- I guess to save $2-3 AUS per box?

OTOH, I didn't listen to the attached audio clip, so maybe that gives more context. 
Or does that ABC news outlet often pass along government press releases with little or no extra reporting?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:59:14 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #516 on: October 16, 2014, 04:19:09 PM »
Now that I've read the story, I sympathize, O.O.  As a former journalist who covered agriculture (among other things), I think this is both potential bad news for growers, and "bad news" in a literal sense.  That story sounds like a press release from the Biosecurity agency!  There's an insultingly bland statement from the official:
  Uh -- why shouldn't they be concerned??

And no countervailing opinions quoted!  Or background (for those who come late to the story) about why you'd want to loosen the chilling requirements in the first place -- I guess to save $2-3 AUS per box?

OTOH, I didn't listen to the attached audio clip, so maybe that gives more context. 
Or does that ABC news outlet often pass along government press releases with little or no extra reporting?

That tends to be how news...normally is with this stuff? Abc is the only broadcaster that goes into rural and agricultural news as far as I've ever seen :/

The recording is kind of long, but it's an interview where he dodges answering questions and straight out refuses to answer or makes obvious lies- the big lie being that there was communication and consent with the fruit growers and the association, and it just sounds....shady.... :P
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #517 on: October 16, 2014, 04:26:19 PM »
By the way, my cat recently demonstrated that she could open my window screens (the kind that slides on the track) from the outside. Is this common, or do I have an evil genius cat?
My old cat figured out how doorknobs work, he just couldn't grab onto them with his slippery paws.  I'd walk in to see him leaping up at the knob and trying to wrap his arms around it, but he'd just slide back down and stare at me expectantly.  Some are definitely smarter than others.

No college for me yet. That's good! But yeah, if I had stuff due at 5 in the afternoon I'd obviously do it that morning.

Welllll... In art class I mostly use the only real book I have, so that was okay. Maths was harder, but I just shared with my bankmate. Then in science I barely got away, don't ask me how O_o

Evil genius cat. Definitely.
Enormous, big time, super huge tip for when you get to college:  do your assignments the day you get them.  It sucks at first, but it saves you from the worst kinds of stress.  I should probably practice what I preach a little more, cause it is really helpful...
Feel free to PM.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #518 on: October 16, 2014, 04:37:04 PM »
Aww, I'm sure you'll do fine!  (And not "juuuust fiiine" a la Puppy-Fox from aRTD, either.)
You've done a great job with *us* -- informative, patient, friendly, funny.  I picture you in the classroom as Miss Honey in Roald Dahl's "Matilda" -- minus the abusive headmistress, hopefully.   ;)

Awwwwww. Now I had to explain to my boyfriend why I'm getting red as a tomatoe while reading :D. If it wasn't for all the materials which I have to made and writing stuff about the process of planning the lesson and justifying every methodical decision I make, everything would be fine. Our headmasters are really nice, both of them. But as I'm working on a school with children who got sorted out of the regular system that might by why all the nice guys are sticking there.

we don't have the fruit flies here, and it's kind of our little niche in the fruit trade that props up a lot of business here :( and it was a little bit rude of them not to properly inform the Fruit Growers Association- especially with a test trial this big. I might be paranoid but there'd have to be a fairly high chance of it going wrong in some way, and I think a lot of fruit growers would just prefer no risk to their livelihoods if it can be avoided: a lot of work has been put into keeping these flies and diseases off the island for this long, and it would suck if it all went down the drain for the benefit of another (better-off financially etc) state :/

I really hate fruit flies. And we only got the small amount you get if you're forgetting to eat an apple in time. The authorities should have learned from the rabbits brought by the Europeans to Australia. Hope their experiment doesn't fail and the farms stay out of fruit flies.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #519 on: October 16, 2014, 04:53:28 PM »
My old cat figured out how doorknobs work, he just couldn't grab onto them with his slippery paws.  I'd walk in to see him leaping up at the knob and trying to wrap his arms around it, but he'd just slide back down and stare at me expectantly.  Some are definitely smarter than others.
Enormous, big time, super huge tip for when you get to college:  do your assignments the day you get them.  It sucks at first, but it saves you from the worst kinds of stress.  I should probably practice what I preach a little more, cause it is really helpful...

Your cat sounds cool! X'D my cat can pull/push open doors when there not fully closed, but when they are closed she scratches the wood asking to come in, which is cute...but sometimes she sounds like horror monster trying to get in! O__O

And yup, start the assignments as soon as you get them!!!!!!!! 9___6 (says someone who leaves work to the day before and wonders why she's stressed...hehehhhh)

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #520 on: October 16, 2014, 05:27:20 PM »

After several years of University I cannot express how important this is. Remember, stress takes years away from your life.

Hmm, I'm seeing an actual negative degree on my thermometer tonight. Not sure if it's just a passing high pressure zone or if winter is coming early this year. Of course, this is hardly a cause for worry for our Australian forumites. Everything's shiny as can be down under.

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #521 on: October 16, 2014, 09:57:44 PM »
...well. I'll keep an eye on Cat and see if she does anything like that. Would you happen to have any tips on how to keep smart cats amused? I suspect she's bored and understimulated.

Your cat sounds cool! X'D my cat can pull/push open doors when there not fully closed, but when they are closed she scratches the wood asking to come in, which is cute...but sometimes she sounds like horror monster trying to get in! O__O
Augh! I'm glad Cat doesn't do that. She does have a habit of just sitting quietly outside closed doors, though, so as soon as you open the door she's just staring up at you.

I just read an article today (on Vox, I think) that said something about how most cats don't like being petted. This would explain a lot about Cat. Also, apparently people from my university did a study on purring.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #522 on: October 16, 2014, 11:54:40 PM »
This is the greatest thing in the universe, and you all should know about it.
Seriously.  I was going to go to bed, before I found this.  Now I'm debating if I should drop a hundred bucks on this...  Obviously I should!  But munny!  Gah!
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #523 on: October 17, 2014, 12:09:42 AM »
This is the greatest thing in the universe, and you all should know about it.
Seriously.  I was going to go to bed, before I found this.  Now I'm debating if I should drop a hundred bucks on this...  Obviously I should!  But munny!  Gah!

I saw that a while ago, it's pretty cool! *tesla coil dance* but money......

Heh I'll be lucky to order a SSSS book :/ (I have the money, but I'm not allowed to buy online stuff, and everyone I ask forgets or splurges all their internet money on collectible dolls) aggghhh but the internet is free, I guess :P actually it's not really, but oh well.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #524 on: October 17, 2014, 01:18:51 AM »
Hmmm there's a bunch of third-years using the graphics computer lab, but they're not using the computers, they've filled up every space with their laptops.....
If they have laptops why do they need to be in the lab??? I was hoping to get back on a computer after lunch but they're all suddenly taken ;___; so my assignment can't be finished or printed before the deadline on Monday and I have no computer or programs at home >:( I just know they'll stay there till closing time, and by then my phone battery will have run out and I'll have no way of getting home....... *cries* why did today have to suck. Blaugh.

Are Indesign files only compatible with indesign? Or could I open them on a free equivalent? :/ hmmmmm

Anyone having a really good day? I'd love to hear if you did XD hehehe