Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409233 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #6720 on: June 12, 2015, 07:17:04 AM »
and there are no drains in the hotel bathrooms for some godforsaken reason

Uh, so where does the water go?

I might have complained before that the neighbourhood cats like to do their business in our garden and the neighbourhood kids like to trample the flowerbeds to take a "shortcut" through our backyard. So I was just taking out the trash a moment ago and -

Cat: *taking a poop position at the potato patch*
Laufey: *charges at cat clapping hands and screaming random Finnish profanity*
Kids, about to climb over the fence: *freeze*
Laufey: *notices kids*

End result: lots of awkward staring.

Reminds me that there was a mythbusters episode on how to prevent cats from pooping in the garden (I think).

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6721 on: June 12, 2015, 07:19:06 AM »

czechs eat their main meals at midday, complete with soup and deserts and everything and I'm still not used to eating that much so early

Is it dinner the main meal in Norway then? Now I'm curious about the eating habits in different countries. Which is the main meal? How many times you eat hot meal?
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #6722 on: June 12, 2015, 07:23:23 AM »
Is it dinner the main meal in Norway then? Now I'm curious about the eating habits in different countries. Which is the main meal? How many times you eat hot meal?

what is the hungarian? I thought it depends on family habits, not on countries????? *randomly drops in*
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #6723 on: June 12, 2015, 07:25:46 AM »

I guess it varies from family to family, but in my experience the rule is warm dinner at 4 o'clock stat. All the other meals are mainly sandwiches.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #6724 on: June 12, 2015, 07:30:36 AM »
Reminds me that there was a mythbusters episode on how to prevent cats from pooping in the garden (I think).

Woop! Looking that up right away. I mean I'm getting desperate here - I asked for advice on FB and I'm so close to taking the unanimous Finnish advice of landmines...
(Icelandic advice was a bit more split on hosing everything/petting the cats because cats are cute.)

Now I'm curious about the eating habits in different countries. Which is the main meal? How many times you eat hot meal?

Iceland: breakfast is usually sandwiches/cereal and coffee, lunch depends entirely on the person, dinner is the main meal of the day, usually around 18-19.00 o'clock. Snacking may happen in between as you like. Most typical food items are fish and lamb, but also pork, beef and horse. Root vegetables are a common addition.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #6725 on: June 12, 2015, 07:31:05 AM »
Uh, so where does the water go?

all over the floor like an ocean until someone (me) mops it up. I mean there are drains in the bathtub of course, but not on the floor.....

Helia: yeh, same as fim, except I usually eat around 5-6
you'll know where to find me.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #6726 on: June 12, 2015, 07:35:28 AM »
When I was a schoolchild, our main meal was lunch at 1/2pm (toast/cereal for breakfast and bread for dinner) and it's also like that for many working people who eat at the canteen at noon. Now my main meal is dinner (around 6-8 pm) because that's the only time of the day I can cook for myself. However, I'm not too happy about it because when I eat late, I can't sleep well and get strange dreams.  ::)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #6727 on: June 12, 2015, 07:51:47 AM »
Whoah you guys have dinner early 8__8 Dinner for me is usually around 8pm or sometimes 9 if it's later. But I guess that's because we arrive home from school/work at 7.30 :/ In the summer holidays dinner gets earlier...and it's weird...

Oh! And to explain away the weirdness of me just popping in like this, I FINALLY FINISHED MY ASSIGNMENTS AND HANDED THEM IN ANd and now I have one week to study for an exam but I have free time! ;u; yeshhhhh
I will probably spend it all asleep. Sleep studying. <_<

Also Haiz...that bathroom's lack of floor drainage.... Aaaaaaaghhh!
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #6728 on: June 12, 2015, 07:52:26 AM »
Woop! Looking that up right away. I mean I'm getting desperate here - I asked for advice on FB and I'm so close to taking the unanimous Finnish advice of landmines...
(Icelandic advice was a bit more split on hosing everything/petting the cats because cats are cute.)

Actually, I looked it up too and it turns out all the solutions they tested were busted. So yeah, blind alley that one.

I found a Norwegian article that recommends either chemical deterents bought from pet and garden stores, garlic cloves and coffee grounds.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:55:15 AM by Fimbulvarg »

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #6729 on: June 12, 2015, 08:03:57 AM »
((((Hey, does anyone else think that the current ssss page's preview box thingie looks kinda like a face in profile...?))))

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6730 on: June 12, 2015, 08:24:29 AM »
Yeah, you are probably right, that main meals are depending on family habits, but I had the slight impression, that lunch was a bit more important in Hungary (Central Europe?). I mean with three courses and all. But we surely don't have any major meals around 4-5 pm, since most people are still at work at that time.
And all the health magazines/websites are campaigning against eating heavy meals in the evening.
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #6731 on: June 12, 2015, 08:25:49 AM »
Actually, I looked it up too and it turns out all the solutions they tested were busted. So yeah, blind alley that one.

I found a Norwegian article that recommends either chemical deterents bought from pet and garden stores, garlic cloves and coffee grounds.

Yup, cats don't like smelly things but the bad thing here is that it rains every day so everything gets washed away pretty soon... I guess applying more cat detergent every day could count as extra exercise. -.-

They said gardening was a relaxing hobby. They said it was.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #6732 on: June 12, 2015, 08:30:27 AM »
((((Hey, does anyone else think that the current ssss page's preview box thingie looks kinda like a face in profile...?))))

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( I don't think I see it ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

And all the health magazines/websites are campaigning against eating heavy meals in the evening.

Meh, the health magazines are campaigning against lots of things.

Yup, cats don't like smelly things but the bad thing here is that it rains every day so everything gets washed away pretty soon... I guess applying more cat detergent every day could count as extra exercise. -.-

You could get a dog? Only after our dog died did cats start frequenting our garden.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #6733 on: June 12, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »

Not so much patriotic duty as watching out so I don't get malnourished by accident probably? I've been told all my life about all the great vitamins and omega3s you only get from fish apparently

I don't eat fish, I've never eaten fish in my life, and I am still alive. I think you would be too. Either that or I am going to die soon from the lack of fish in my life. I am not a fish nutrition expert, so it could easily go either way :P
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #6734 on: June 12, 2015, 09:08:20 AM »
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( I don't think I see it ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Hmmm maybe it's just me..