Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424783 times)

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #6705 on: June 11, 2015, 11:40:33 PM »
Welp, day 1 of metrocon is over! I was Sigrid's modern Sigrun with my Emil, but with one important change:

YEET

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6706 on: June 11, 2015, 11:42:16 PM »
YES CURRY
PERF
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #6707 on: June 11, 2015, 11:48:19 PM »
YES CURRY
PERF

Best 25 bucks I've ever spent 8)
YEET

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #6708 on: June 12, 2015, 12:25:21 AM »
On the bus today the gentleman sitting behind me commented on my hair and asked how long I’d been growing it and then asked if I was mixed (I told him no, but that there was some Cherokee way back and he said ‘oh then you are mixed’ like okay sir, whatever you say) and said that I was very distinctive and asked if I was a student and I told him I was going to be and he asked what I was going to study and I told him animation and then he started talking about cartoons and how you had to draw each picture for each step and then he was talking about when they only had three channels on TV and the ten-o’clock news and the TV would go off at midnight and then he asked how old I was and then had me guess his age (I guessed 48 but he was in his 60s) and then he asked if I was a good drawer and I said worse than some, better than others and he asked me to draw him so I scratched something out in like 5 minutes and guys he liked it and guys

Guys he gave me a $5 bill for the drawing.

I did my first paid commission today and I’m walking on air.

He really liked it and said "you can't even tell that I don't have any teeth that's really kind of you" (because I'd drawn him with his mouth closed) and then he told me I was the prettiest girl he'd met in the past five minutes and he really meant it and wasn't lying and made me wait so he could give me the five dollars for the picture and then he made me sign it to him and then he said that his wife would love it and then clarified that it was his ex-wife ‘if I was in the market’ and said that he wouldn’t disrespect me and I said I’d keep that in mind and he said “as long as you don’t mind marrying a negro” which kind of shocked me and he winked and I laughed and I’m like 98% sure that he was joking but I might have been proposed to?

So he was a character.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #6709 on: June 12, 2015, 12:41:24 AM »
On the bus today...

I did my first paid commission today and I’m walking on air.

So he was a character.

Awww, what a cute story.  And major points to you for being a good sport about some of the borderline-inappropriate things your bus neighbor said.  It sounds like he's one of those harmless old duffers who hasn't gotten the latest memo about Things We Don't Say to Women We Don't Know and Terms We Don't Use About Ethnicity Any More. 

I am absolutely not surprised he liked your work enough to pay for it, though.  You've got technical skill, humor, and keen character insight all at your command, and we see them growing with every post.
Here's to more paid commissions!  (Assuming you want them.) 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

RandomTexanReader

• Ranger
  • Forum Prophet (avatar by the incredible mad robin)
« Reply #6710 on: June 12, 2015, 12:44:59 AM »
Awww, what a cute story.  And major points to you for being a good sport about some of the borderline-inappropriate things your bus neighbor said.  It sounds like he's one of those harmless old duffers who hasn't gotten the latest memo about Things We Don't Say to Women We Don't Know and Terms We Don't Use About Ethnicity Any More. 

I am absolutely not surprised he liked your work enough to pay for it, though.  You've got technical skill, humor, and keen character insight all at your command, and we see them growing with every post.
Here's to more paid commissions!  (Assuming you want them.)
I'm actually blushing right now, thank you so much.
... Texas ... is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it....
John Steinbeck
:usa:
:vaticancity: Domine, non sum dignus....
:mexico: No habla Espanol
:croatia: Hvala za nishto, dobro za nishto, mali vrag.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #6711 on: June 12, 2015, 12:52:40 AM »
[Awesome Haiz Poem]

Haiz, I love this so much. I wrote this big long thing of praise and encouragement but then the Internet ate it, so the gist of what I wanted to tell you is that your poem is amazing and you should be super proud of it - I know the other twelve members of my school's spoken word club would agree. It deserves all the snaps! Even translated it has a really interesting rhythm to it that I can imagine enjoying listening to even if I weren't paying attention to the words. The words are great. The images in the poem are strong and unique. Keep poetry-ing, Haiz! You can only get better!

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #6712 on: June 12, 2015, 01:34:44 AM »
Alright back from bit of a hiatus of playing Witchers and browsing the internet.

Was browsing the /r/Suomi for some laughs and through some means i found myself in /r/Europe. Read some posts, comments and started slowly to get irked and started to think something was missing. A very large part of the commentors seemed to be very progressive and lefty to even a very unsettling extents, but i kept reading and didn't really mind.

Then i settled on a link to the /r/European. Was expecting discussion about the european identity or something, but to my suprise i had found myself in the complete opposite to /r/Europe. The sub seemed to be what i normally expected from my casual ventures to 4chan and here opinions about the same exact topics seen in /r/Europe were full of very conservative and far-ish right ideas to again pritty unsettling extents and i was getting irked even more about both of them.

After a while of browsing each one i slowly realized what i was so irked about was that there was no middle ground. A borderline comment about faults in immigration in /r/Europe could be downvoted to the depths while in /r/European a fullblow racist comment usually would make its way to the the top and vice versa. Both of the subs just seemed like bloated echo-chambers with no ideas ever crossing between them and the barrier in between seemed to just sthrenghten the more radical elements in each making a lot of the posts in either side just a massive circle jerk.

Perhaps the oddest thing for me was that i usually don't care in the slightest. I visit 4chan and have my fill of idiocy every once a while, but i guess for me the difference made was that while i go to 4chan just to mess around these subs were dedicated to actually discussing something worth while and meaningful and i was pritty blown on how they could just separate themselves making them both go to such extremes sometimes that i just wanted to hit myself in the head.

I don't know why i'm writing this. I haven't slept this night and this just for some reason hit me.

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #6713 on: June 12, 2015, 02:34:49 AM »
Curry, still incredible but please tell me you left the knives at home.
RTR, I'm really happy for you! Even if the guy was a teensy bit weird, you're making money doing what you love! That's great.
And Sunflower said this far, far more eloquently, but you are a great artist- can't see why you shouldn't make money from your work.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #6714 on: June 12, 2015, 03:45:58 AM »
Was browsing for some laughs...

After a while of browsing each one i slowly realized what i was so irked about was that there was no middle ground. ... Both of the subs just seemed like bloated echo-chambers with no ideas ever crossing between them and the barrier in between seemed to just strenghten the more radical elements in each making a lot of the posts in either side just a massive circle jerk.

Perhaps the oddest thing for me was that i usually don't care in the slightest. ... I guess for me the difference was that while i go to 4chan just to mess around these subs were dedicated to actually discussing something worthwhile and meaningful and i was pritty blown on how they could just separate themselves making them both go to such extremes sometimes that i just wanted to hit myself in the head.

Well, you've summed up the Internet pretty effectively.  On the plus side, we can choose our content from a practically unlimited menu and be assured of finding like minds, no matter how out-there the position.  On the minus side, it's all too easy for discussions to degenerate into echo chambers, without room for differing opinions.

I think we're doing a good job here of accommodating a range of opinions (without breaking out into flame wars), but it's always a delicate balance.  It's probably just as well you're reminding us of the prevailing conditions outside our own civilized little corner of the Web!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #6715 on: June 12, 2015, 06:41:51 AM »
Curry: I was unsure whether to type you 'fab' or 'perf' so have a 'fabrf'

RTR: that sound like an event to remember! congrats on commissioning

I just cleaned my second hotel room, I still used thrice as long as I'm supposed to... I found a forgotten map of prague which is mine now, and I did the mistake of thinking the guests that lived here seemed pretty okay to clean after just before I opened the bathroom. the entire floor was covered in water, it was like someone had summoned the sea or something. I'm honestly a little impressed because how

also it's time to go eat dinner/lunch (czechs eat their main meals at midday, complete with soup and deserts and everything and I'm still not used to eating that much so early), and I heard that one of the choices is fish. And I should probably eat fish because if nobody makes me I won't eat fish for two months... But the other alternative sounded so much better so uh next time!
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #6716 on: June 12, 2015, 06:44:15 AM »
But the other alternative sounded so much better so uh next time!

*cough*

You didn't tell us about the "other alternative".

An ocean on the bathroom sounds kinda sinister. Mostly because it implies they may have gotten the drain clogged. Fixing that can be a pain.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 06:48:54 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #6717 on: June 12, 2015, 07:04:47 AM »

also it's time to go eat dinner/lunch (czechs eat their main meals at midday, complete with soup and deserts and everything and I'm still not used to eating that much so early), and I heard that one of the choices is fish. And I should probably eat fish because if nobody makes me I won't eat fish for two months... But the other alternative sounded so much better so uh next time!

Is it your patriotic duty as a Norwegian to eat fish, or something?  'Cuz I gather fish is something Norway has a lot of...
http://satwcomic.com/exotic-food

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #6718 on: June 12, 2015, 07:08:30 AM »
Other alternative was rice with mushroom sauce and some kinda meat. 

Not so much patriotic duty as watching out so I don't get malnourished by accident probably? I've been told all my life about all the great vitamins and omega3s you only get from fish apparently

and there are no drains in the hotel bathrooms for some godforsaken reason
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:10:50 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #6719 on: June 12, 2015, 07:12:08 AM »
I might have complained before that the neighbourhood cats like to do their business in our garden and the neighbourhood kids like to trample the flowerbeds to take a "shortcut" through our backyard. So I was just taking out the trash a moment ago and -

Cat: *taking a poop position at the potato patch*
Laufey: *charges at cat clapping hands and screaming random Finnish profanity*
Kids, about to climb over the fence: *freeze*
Laufey: *notices kids*

End result: lots of awkward staring.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: