Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387804 times)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #435 on: October 13, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »
nWoD. I missed the boat on oWoD sadly, but reading through I prefer the fluff in nWoD more. I can't comment on the mechanics though, since I've never played oWoD...what do you reckon? Which edition do you prefer?

Before I answer that I should have a look on the books ;). I played oWoD mostly but as in the The Dark Eye (there I played second to fourth edition) rules alway can be bent in a way that it fits to the adventure. So as long as the game master does its job right, everything is fine and Malcavs exist in both systems if I remember correctly ;)
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Raya

« Reply #436 on: October 13, 2014, 02:29:54 PM »
Before I answer that I should have a look on the books ;). I played oWoD mostly but as in the The Dark Eye (there I played second to fourth edition) rules alway can be bent in a way that it fits to the adventure. So as long as the game master does its job right, everything is fine and Malcavs exist in both systems if I remember correctly ;)

The Malks effectively got removed from nWoD, mainly I think because they were trying to distance themselves from the silliness that plagued oWoD. They did bring them back in a later book (I forget which ones), largely I suspect because of the outcry they were removed!

My main philosophy for GMing is that it's the GM's role to ensure that the players have fun, so if I ran a nWoD game and someone wanted to play a Malk I'd have no problem providing they weren't unbalanced (mechanic-wise, Malks are as unbalanced as they get :P).

As shameful as it is, I think my favourite bloodline are the Players, derived from the Mekhet. Basically they think they're vampires from the movies so completely ham it up like wannabe Lestats, to the point other vampires are embarrassed for them. They even have a 'I know kung-fu' bloodline power! They're hilarious and there's no better way of deflating super-serious players ;D

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #437 on: October 13, 2014, 02:42:28 PM »
Another problem with the old WoD was that there was such a prevalent atmosphere of "THE END IS NIGH, YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED, IT'S TOO LATE TO CHANGE ANYTHING", accompanied with a general sense of desperation and gloom that you kind of wondered why the players would want to participate in such a universe if they know they won't make a difference and all die horribly anyway.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #438 on: October 13, 2014, 02:50:01 PM »
I've played D&D, but only a few times and most of us were terrible at it. Fun anyways though. Sooner or later I figure it'd be possible to make a proper tabletop game based on SSSS. That could be really fun, even though we might have to play through skype.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #439 on: October 13, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »
I've played D&D, but only a few times and most of us were terrible at it. Fun anyways though. Sooner or later I figure it'd be possible to make a proper tabletop game based on SSSS. That could be really fun, even though we might have to play through skype.

GURPS as a universal system might work. They have a basic set of rules and you can chose between a small or an extra large character sheet. Also it provides some basics to set up monsters. ;)

Quote from: Rollo
Another problem with the old WoD was that there was such a prevalent atmosphere of "THE END IS NIGH, YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED, IT'S TOO LATE TO CHANGE ANYTHING", accompanied with a general sense of desperation and gloom that you kind of wondered why the players would want to participate in such a universe if they know they won't make a difference and all die horribly anyway.

That's a general problem with RPGs. If the story is set up too tight and the game master insists on playing all the adventures fitting into the main setting of the RPG it won't make that much fun. With the dark eye that's even worse. On the other hand World of Darkness wether old or new is nice if you're combining two GMs like we did on a convention. There were to many players in the room, so the group was divided but the plot mixed at times. Was kind of weird but we had a lot of fun. We just stuck to the animosity between the main groups. In some other experiment we tried to combine mage with werewolve and vampire but it turned out, that mages had to be modified 'cause they had far to much power.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Raya

« Reply #440 on: October 13, 2014, 03:57:57 PM »

I would DEFINITELY be interested in doing this! I've created my own systems before and used to balancing rules, and once we had something I'd be more than happy to GM some play testing sessions. Sound like a project people could get behind?

That's a general problem with RPGs. If the story is set up too tight and the game master insists on playing all the adventures fitting into the main setting of the RPG it won't make that much fun.

Funnily enough the opposite problem is my main grip in nWoD: it gives no straight answer to anything. Such as VII, the mysterious vampire organisation. Gives you loads of different theories but nothing concrete. Dammit WW, I just want some background, not vague ideas!

There's nothing worse than an inflexible GM though. Players can and will trample over your carefully laid plot, so you have to be able to roll with it and let them have fun, even if it doesn't fit the setting much. Hell, my players somehow managed to win Call of Cthulhu, which technically is impossible and not what I was planning, but hey, they earned it, so they deserved it even if it doesn't fit.

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #441 on: October 13, 2014, 04:03:26 PM »
I would DEFINITELY be interested in doing this! I've created my own systems before and used to balancing rules, and once we had something I'd be more than happy to GM some play testing sessions. Sound like a project people could get behind?

Tell me if you need any help with that :)
 Mostly quiet.

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #442 on: October 13, 2014, 04:06:05 PM »
So, I got a new t-shirt today. It says "Minions Rock." I couldn't resist, even though it really has nothing else to do with SSSS. Just...Minions Rock. :P

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #443 on: October 13, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »
So, I got a new t-shirt today. It says "Minions Rock." I couldn't resist, even though it really has nothing else to do with SSSS. Just...Minions Rock. :P

Yes, yes we do.
 Mostly quiet.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #444 on: October 13, 2014, 04:15:09 PM »

Maybe we should set a new topic for that purpose. Then we could gather all together which kind of charcters would be needed, how monsters should be designed and things like that.

What kind of systems did you design? I had a lot of fun with self designed RPGs (I never designed anything myself but I liked trying new RPGs) on some conventions, some of this data is still flying around here somewhere.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #445 on: October 13, 2014, 04:16:49 PM »

If the underlying system is based on d20 it wouldn't be too hard to re-engineer some elements from, say, D20 modern's rules and DnD's bestiary. I think the hard part would be magic-based classes (Or hybrids, like Lalli; magic and firearms) actually.

Raya

« Reply #446 on: October 13, 2014, 04:29:54 PM »
What kind of systems did you design? I had a lot of fun with self designed RPGs (I never designed anything myself but I liked trying new RPGs) on some conventions, some of this data is still flying around here somewhere.

Believe it or not a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon system. I commented to my friends how the games would work brilliantly as a tabletop RPG, they demanded I make one, so I did :P It went down really well and I'd love to fully flesh it out, just never really got round to it.

Looks like SSSS:RPG has interest. To the SSSS board! [batman music]

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #447 on: October 14, 2014, 12:37:27 AM »
Aaaaïïïïïeeeeeeee ;______; just went six hours on the computer (yes that's not much at home but at school it felt like years) trying to wrangle the dumbest mini magazine ever into existence.. And also making a portrait of John Baskervile out of Baskerville font...whyyyyyhyyyyhyyyhyyyyyy.....

A 3.30pm breakfast of leftover three-layered pink birthday cake is healthy right? ;) suuuuure it is! Hehehe I zombie-walked into the library to eat the cake and I saw the blurb of some book and freaked out because I couldn't read it! Then a few seconds later I realized it was in...Polish? Ú___Ù

The RPG seems like an awesome idea! Looks as though you guys have got that coming along nicely :)

Yesterday I was meandering around the library and in think I've found some distant ancestors of "Allt Om Spadar/All About Shovels" not sure if this goes on the SSSS board though....

Hehe just imagine an entire library of these sorts of books! X'D
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #448 on: October 14, 2014, 01:30:43 AM »

Yesterday I was meandering around the library and in think I've found some distant ancestors of "Allt Om Spadar/All About Shovels" not sure if this goes on the SSSS board though....

Hehe just imagine an entire library of these sorts of books! X'D

Does that "Tree Key" book start:  "Number 1.  The Larch"?  (Shades of Monty Python...)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #449 on: October 14, 2014, 01:48:12 AM »
Does that "Tree Key" book start:  "Number 1.  The Larch"?  (Shades of Monty Python...)
*sad limited knowledge of most Monty Python* hehe sadly no, I took a photo of the contents page though, top centre :P it was deadly serious. O__O

My favorite one is "What Grass is That?" Because I know it's part of a series including:
What bird is that?
What tree is that?
What mammal is that?
What marsupial is that?
.....all of which I have read at some point ;///////; haha

Know any books with dorkier sleep-inducing titles, Sunflower? :D
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16: