Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411540 times)

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #6150 on: June 01, 2015, 03:44:19 PM »
No its not for the academic help thread I'm writing a fake essay as a prologue for a story.

Then you already have a great and useful ally in your project, named Jorge Luis Borges.  Borges has been put on this earth to serve as an example of all those who want to write fake history essays about increasingly weird things, while sounding as plausible as possible.  Go and read.

In terms of something  more immediate, one stylistic technique often employed by actual scholars is to introduce a topic by way of some controversy or counterintuition.  There's no reason why this can't work just as well with fiction, and if you do it right has the added benefit of letting you trickle in bits of the setting and background by imputation, as though the reader is expected to know all these other things as a matter of course.

Something like:

The start of the Sundbergian Era is widely considered to have begun with the publication of the first pages of Stand Still, Stay Silent in 2014, yet careful scholarship suggests that a more appropriate inauguration of that now-fabled period in history lies some years before, when the artifacts of a now-lost opus known todaly only as "ARtD" first became available over the airwaves of antiquity.

And so on.
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #6151 on: June 01, 2015, 03:54:40 PM »
They've always been there, just getting more common as the world goes on.  Say, 1% percent of the population at the begin of civilization(these are hypothesized to be the gods of each civilization, but people can get pretty fighty over it), and 76% today.(and getting slightly duilted as , but that's because I just Do Not want to deal with really powerful telepaths) And the history remains pretty much unchanged in the grand course of events because Reasons.

In that case, what Amity just said seems like a pretty good idea.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #6152 on: June 01, 2015, 03:58:36 PM »
Hey guys...
Is it normal to feel sad right now? Like, in a random moment? because I didn't watch anything sad or something-
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #6153 on: June 01, 2015, 04:01:09 PM »

The start of the Sundbergian Era is widely considered to have begun with the publication of the first pages of Stand Still, Stay Silent in 2014, yet careful scholarship suggests that a more appropriate inauguration of that now-fabled period in history lies some years before, when the artifacts of a now-lost opus known todaly only as "ARtD" first became available over the airwaves of antiquity.

And so on.

Well, now I'm reading A Glimpse into the Work of Herbert Quain and also, the essay was very cool, because it sounds like an essay to anybody who doesn't know what's up, but we know what's up and that makes it hilarious.

Hey guys...
Is it normal to feel sad right now? Like, in a random moment? because I didn't watch anything sad or something-

Yeah! People are weird, and emotions exist for the sheer purpose of messing you up, so its no problem.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #6154 on: June 01, 2015, 04:04:27 PM »
Yeah! People are weird, and emotions exist for the sheer purpose of messing you up, so its no problem.

Oh, yes but I don't think is more normal when it happens everyday in every second o.o
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #6155 on: June 01, 2015, 04:05:12 PM »
Speaking of airports, I have this stuck in my head every time I go to one.

I guess the lesson here is... don't brake stuff that belongs to people capable of creating catchy songs ;)

Thank you so much for reminding me of this song!! It is such a classic! :)

And one day the silly little things will get a little off-track and misplace the souls of an entire Finnish village and a boy and his dog will have to--
Wait

So YOU were the real reason behind all that mess... At least Puppy-fox took all the blame in the end.

Oh, yes but I don't think is more normal when it happens everyday in every second o.o

I don't know if I understood you correctly... Do you feel like this all the time? Are you always sad?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:11:04 PM by Daéa Reina »
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #6156 on: June 01, 2015, 05:26:31 PM »

So YOU were the real reason behind all that mess... At least Puppy-fox took all the blame in the end.

My bad.

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #6157 on: June 01, 2015, 05:36:10 PM »
Makes one wonder whether emptying the suitcase on the floor right then and there and setting the pile of cloth alight might be the proper method of reeducation. :P

Wasn't much clothing in there anyway.  Most of the weight came from gifts and such like.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #6158 on: June 01, 2015, 06:48:24 PM »

I MADE IT TO PRAGUE
and through metro hell
and to the apartment
......... czech is technically not foreign country to me but i am very very uncomfortable with big cities so it might as well be

I hope you don't mind my constant rambling about my journey but I'm so incredibly nervous about everything, and writing it out somewhere to others is very calming to me for some reason

Emil is obviously working at the in-hairport salon, what else?

...If the airport doesn't have one, then he's like, the beautiful flight attendant on all the ads
I've never seen a hairport salon on an airport, BUT today in the plane magazine I read about Stockholm's airport having a tattoo shop, so.......... who knows..........

anyway it's late, i'm beat, i've got Big Things going on tomorrow apparently, so

good night everyone. Haiz: Adult Quest day 1 is ending
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:50:23 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #6159 on: June 01, 2015, 06:52:19 PM »
I hope you don't mind my constant rambling about my journey but I'm so incredibly nervous about everything, and writing it out somewhere to others is very calming to me for some reason
Writing can help to be less nervous :)
Good luck for tomorrow !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #6160 on: June 01, 2015, 06:53:47 PM »

I MADE IT TO PRAGUE
and through metro hell
and to the apartment
......... czech is technically not foreign country to me but i am very very uncomfortable with big cities so it might as well be

anyway it's late, i'm beat, i've got Big Things going on tomorrow apparently, so

good night everyone

No worries -- we love hearing about Haiz' Big Adventure.  Aside from the fact that we on the forum know you and care about you (so you can think of us all out there in the Mage-World), you have a really entertaining way of describing your adventures.  Take lots of notes -- maybe someday you'll have a cartoonblog!  And we can all say "We knew the artist when..."
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #6161 on: June 01, 2015, 07:03:04 PM »
I MADE IT TO PRAGUE
and through metro hell
and to the apartment

good night everyone. Haiz: Adult Quest day 1 is ending

I really like reading about other people's travels and such, so please, keep on rambling! :)
Good night!
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #6162 on: June 01, 2015, 07:26:17 PM »
Aw man. I went through old things and got very embarrassed.

First of all, this project where we had to make a rap, and its so horrible. I MUST SHARE IT.

Duh Duh Duh Duh Romans 4x
It needed A bunch of representatives to make the Senate
The people in conquered lands are now tenants
I'm sure it required some acceptance
The government may not be to their preferences

Rome, capital of a multinational empire
Great and powerful,they invoked many nation's ire
They invented many things, like the Roman candle
But that didn't protect them from things like the Vandals
Some of our daily lives were as different as can be
Differences like that you can still see

Rome was a great nation, It had a good station

We sometimes have a dictator
We would have them sooner or later
Some of them are good
Some of them are great
Then some of them you have to hate

That is pretty much how it goes
I wrote the refrain, which is in black, and another section, which wasn't included. This was a group project.

Also

When in my life time did I draw this
When in my life
I don't even know if this is a character of mine
Actually maybe I'll redraw it

Icon drawn by Piney

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
« Reply #6163 on: June 01, 2015, 08:33:53 PM »

When in my life time did I draw this
When in my life
I don't even know if this is a character of mine
Actually maybe I'll redraw it

I REDREW IT!

On today’s episode of: Kick redraws things and gets too emotionally invested

So instead of a regular old redraw, she gets a backstory and everything.

She’s Fluer-de-lis(excuse my French), an amputee superhero with light and healing powers! And overconfidence and a sense for dramatics.

Icon drawn by Piney

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #6164 on: June 02, 2015, 05:45:55 AM »
yessss they gave me a call and wanted an interview on tuesday this is great
aaaaaaaaaaa omg I got the job aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa