Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387854 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5925 on: May 30, 2015, 03:33:42 AM »
I know I might be a little uptight about this, but Star Wars: The Old Republic just brings to me a minor depression, especially when I hear the Knights of the Old Republic soundtrack

Like, here I am, sitting in front of what could have been a third in the series, but instead went the MMO route. Yargh

#videogames

"The great tragedy of the ages". If the gaming industry can make 20+\- Sonic games they can at least make one more iteration of one of the most critically acclaimed series of all time. But, as with HL3, it appears that some companies don't care about money and success in the way others do.

and sectoboss' amazing pacfific rim crossover. tHE PACIFIC RIM CROSSOVER IS SO GREAT YOU GUYS

I should probably watch that movie one of these days. It seems to be all the hype.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #5926 on: May 30, 2015, 04:27:00 AM »
I am now convinced that bad writing has no bottom. You can always dig more and find worse.
Hmmm I guess one could take it and feed FIPS-140 or AIS-31 with it? ;)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5927 on: May 30, 2015, 04:31:47 AM »
I should probably watch that movie one of these days. It seems to be all the hype.
It's a cliché storm of the best kind, it's utterly ridiculous and incredibly awesome at the same time. BUT I might be a bit biased, I've seen the movie ten times, I've read the novelization, I own the soundtrack cd, the concept art book and a tiny kaiju figurine..............
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:36:25 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #5928 on: May 30, 2015, 05:11:48 AM »
Elaborate pranks are the best. Someone - and I still don't know who - once tried to sign me up for the one-way Mars flight when they were looking for volunteers all over the world. I received an e-mail from them asking me to pay a fee and they'd process my application. All I can say is that a) if this is someone who really doesn't like me I like them immensely just the same and b) they should be my friend. That was the most baffling moment of my life. ;D

This person, whoever it is, is a genius, and I'm sure they'd be the best friend ever.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #5929 on: May 30, 2015, 06:49:59 AM »
It's a cliché storm of the best kind, it's utterly ridiculous and incredibly awesome at the same time. BUT I might be a bit biased, I've seen the movie ten times, I've read the novelization, I own the soundtrack cd, the concept art book and a tiny kaiju figurine..............
It was very visually impressive, but I think they wrote the plot of a piece of Swiss cheese......
It was full of holes.
(Bad jokes ahoy)

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5930 on: May 30, 2015, 06:58:35 AM »
It was very visually impressive, but I think they wrote the plot of a piece of Swiss cheese......
It was full of holes.
(Bad jokes ahoy)

the novelization cleared up some of my initial questions, but yeah, I agree. But I didn't go to see a Humongous Mecha VS Alien Monsters movie for the sake of the plot, now, did I? I admit I was actually pleasantly surprised at how decent the plot was compared to my expectations. Another complaint I've heard was from a kid that didn't want to see it because "it fails at physics,  that few helicopters can NOT lift a jaeger like that" and hey, I respect people not wanting to see a movie, but that's... I don't think that's the least believable aspect of the movie, to say the least. It's not physically possible to swing a tanker ship like a baseball bat either but I loved every second of it

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #5931 on: May 30, 2015, 07:13:24 AM »
the novelization cleared up some of my initial questions, but yeah, I agree. But I didn't go to see a Humongous Mecha VS Alien Monsters movie for the sake of the plot, now, did I?
Yeah, there's no point quibbling over whether the science is realistic when kaiju that are coming out of a portal in an underwater fault line are are being beaten up by robots the size of skyscrapers.
It was actually a pretty good film, although an odd choice for Guillermo Del Toro considering his previous films.
Also, Idris Elba! Love Idris Elba.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #5932 on: May 30, 2015, 08:16:19 AM »

You should certainly give it a go. As a few other people have pointed out, the plot is nothing special (but not the trainwreck I was nervously expecting when I went into the cinema), but nothing beats the sheer entertainment value of a 24-storey robot and a similarly-sized monster duking it out in downtown Hong Kong.

[a] few helicopters can NOT lift a jaeger like that"

Why do you think I used a zeppelin in the crossover? What do you mean that would probably be even worse?? Also I feel duty-bound to point out that the cossover was actually Haiz's idea in the first place (and thanks for the shout out!).

Also, Idris Elba! Love Idris Elba.

Yes this too
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5933 on: May 30, 2015, 12:43:15 PM »
It was actually a pretty good film, although an odd choice for Guillermo Del Toro considering his previous films.
I'm very thankful for Pacific Rim, because I don't handle movies like, say, Pan's Labyrinth very well
Spoiler: show

and I just got back from seeing that Mad Max movie, which is a beautiful disaster and a cinematic masterpiece, and is right up there with Pacific Rim on "ridiculously awesome action movies that do manage to keep my interest for two hours straight". I winced a lot but I want to see it again

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #5934 on: May 30, 2015, 12:53:08 PM »
So I hear we're talking about my favourite movie?
Besides the newest Godzilla

Giant robots and giant monsters

That movie had everything needed to make me very happy

(My phone's ringtone may also be the main theme for Pacific Rim. Shhhhhh)

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #5935 on: May 30, 2015, 01:10:40 PM »
Gahh, I need to see Mad Max.. And Godzilla.
Also, Haiz, that's an amazing photo.
If the creepy-stunted-legs-eyes-in-hands thing came at you, you'd clap at it?

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5936 on: May 30, 2015, 01:14:59 PM »
Also, Haiz, that's an amazing photo.
If the creepy-stunted-legs-eyes-in-hands thing came at you, you'd clap at it?
I HAD NOWHERE ELSE TO RUN
I was curled under the table a few moments after that

and some people kept it going for years, even giving me gloves with eye symbols on them for christmas... I didn't understand the joke until I one day put them on wrong and the eye symbol ended up in my palm

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #5937 on: May 30, 2015, 01:19:52 PM »
... I didn't understand the joke until I one day put them on wrong and the eye symbol ended up in my palm
*more clapping ensues*

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #5938 on: May 30, 2015, 01:31:28 PM »
(My phone's ringtone may also be the main theme for Pacific Rim. Shhhhhh)

It used to be my 7am alarm for a while.

And Mad Max, yes! Heavens above I love that movie. I've seen it twice now and I'm seriously considering going to watch it again.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #5939 on: May 30, 2015, 01:36:34 PM »
It used to be my 7am alarm for a while.

And Mad Max, yes! Heavens above I love that movie. I've seen it twice now and I'm seriously considering going to watch it again.

But why would you put the sound of something you liked as an alarm. Don't you cringe whenever you hear it now?

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney