Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387534 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5910 on: May 29, 2015, 06:58:44 PM »
Its a Harry Potter Self-Insert/Mary Sue fanfiction, and its pretty infamous in the fanfic community.
Ensign Sue must die. ;)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #5911 on: May 29, 2015, 07:07:04 PM »
I finished what I could find, but the completed version has a link on TvTropes and could you give this link a look please

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DrinkingGame/MyImmortal

There is cursing on the webpage, just a warning.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #5912 on: May 29, 2015, 07:08:37 PM »
I don't think anyone has ever died from cussing

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #5913 on: May 29, 2015, 07:11:20 PM »
Ensign Sue must die. ;)

Indeed she must. As must they all, across the multiverse...
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5914 on: May 29, 2015, 07:18:45 PM »
I don't think anyone has ever died from cussing

maybe not but we have Forum Rules to uphold
you'll know where to find me.

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5915 on: May 29, 2015, 07:38:13 PM »

maybe not but we have Forum Rules to uphold

Yeah, but the site KicknRun linked to isn't part of the forum so unless someone is allergic to cursing is around I doubt we need any warnings

but hey warnings never hurt either!!!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #5916 on: May 29, 2015, 07:42:17 PM »
I finished what I could find, but the completed version has a link on TvTropes and could you give this link a look please
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DrinkingGame/MyImmortal
There is cursing on the webpage, just a warning.
... dear God, that drinking game has more rules scaring me away from ever starting to read than the SSSS drinking game promises shots drunk ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5917 on: May 29, 2015, 07:46:19 PM »
I know I might be a little uptight about this, but Star Wars: The Old Republic just brings to me a minor depression, especially when I hear the Knights of the Old Republic soundtrack

Like, here I am, sitting in front of what could have been a third in the series, but instead went the MMO route. Yargh

#videogames

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5918 on: May 29, 2015, 07:48:43 PM »
Yeah, but the site KicknRun linked to isn't part of the forum so unless someone is allergic to cursing is around I doubt we need any warnings

but hey warnings never hurt either!!!

Ok but if it's posted here, it's inviting everyone to click on it. And it's just like leaving a warning on NSFW stuff; no one's allergic to that either. Also there are young people here and maybe people who are uncomfortable with cursing, ya never know. It's good etiquette to post a warning.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #5919 on: May 29, 2015, 08:20:43 PM »
YEET

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #5920 on: May 29, 2015, 08:49:43 PM »
I am finally getting around to reading My Immortal.

I have never written anything this awful. How is it possible to write something so bad. I have found a new meterstick for my crappy fanfiction, and this is it.

Hahaha.

If you knew.

See hm, I read smut, like, pure fetish fullfilling writing.

You have no idea just how abysmally bad writing can get. "My immortal" is very bad, but I've seen things that make you seriously wonder if the writer is... uh... like ...  I've read things that make you seriously wonder!

I've seen purpoted "stories" which are just one run on sentence strung together without any regard for internal consistency or syntax, where it's impossible to even tell what is happening because every five words you get a contradiction with what has just been stated, when it's not outright nonsense. I've read things that looks like they've been written by a badly illiterate non-native speaker, before being machine translated over and over.

I am now convinced that bad writing has no bottom. You can always dig more and find worse.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #5921 on: May 29, 2015, 09:40:30 PM »
You have no idea just how abysmally bad writing can get.

I am a scientist at heart.  When I read something like, "How can you write non-romantic shipping fiction?" I think, "Hmm, how indeed?  Maybe it's time for an experiment."

And when I read something like what you said here, Rollo, I think the same thing!

Lallis Dark and Stormey Night

The light had faded and it was somewhat looking like rain when Lalli looked around and noticed the fading light's.  "Mikkel, I was wondering if you have any," he said winsomely as though he wanted something from the burley Dane, "candle's."

Mikkel, tired from the gloomy and hurricanelike evening before the one in which they were talking now in the cat tracked tank, eye'd the lithesome Finn shrewdly and with a careful eye.  "Yes," came his reply, which he uttered causally, with a certain nonchalance that it had sometimes been commented upon by some was his greetest personal quality as a person.

"Yes," he replied, continuing on with, "I do."  The Dane did know the purpose many of the candles which Lalli and he were speaking of about for.  "I would like too borrow one," said Lalli sharpley.  Mikkel recoiled as if struck by a snake.  "Borrow," said Mikkel with suspicious uncertain disbelief, his eye's narrowing into slits as they narrowed, his breathe coming in rasps like sandpaper on a metal foxe's fur.  "Or... use?"
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #5922 on: May 29, 2015, 09:49:04 PM »

Ditto. To all of this. At one point I was peripherally involved with the PPC (like MST3k for fic, but with more worldbuilding) and thus went around looking for crappy fanfic. It, uh. Was not hard. To find. And really, it makes you appreciate the fact that most fanfic--even the stuff I would have normally looked down on or avoided--is really not that bad. It can get worse. So, so much worse.

I am a scientist at heart.  When I read something like, "How can you write non-romantic shipping fiction?" I think, "Hmm, how indeed?  Maybe it's time for an experiment."

PFFT this is totally possible, and is in fact my favorite kind of fic. Right up there with the (slightly harder to pull off) romantic/shipping fic that is actually gen.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5923 on: May 29, 2015, 11:03:51 PM »
Ah, bad fanfiction. You see so much of it, yet it still finds ways to disappoint you. I immediately close any story I find that refuses to use things like, I don't know, capital letters and periods. But then that feeling when you stumble across a really well-written piece of fancfiction is simply priceless.

And as for non-romantic shipping, I don't see why not. Ship is short for relationship, after all, and there are a ton of different kinds of relationships besides romantic ones. Actually, some of my favorite fanfics are without a big romantic plot/subplot.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5924 on: May 30, 2015, 03:24:39 AM »
Amity, you talk about non-shippy fic as if we didn't have a whole slew of them in this very fandom...

have you taken a look in the scriptorium lately? I'm not sure if my high school au certifies as non-shippy anymore except for the first two/three chapters, but............. OH and sectoboss' amazing pacfific rim crossover. tHE PACIFIC RIM CROSSOVER IS SO GREAT YOU GUYS
you'll know where to find me.