Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410670 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5715 on: May 26, 2015, 06:20:06 PM »
hahaha, Piney has been through hell!

I immediately thought of the place in Norway... I blame Haiz.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #5716 on: May 26, 2015, 06:20:31 PM »
It's been so long since the last time I did some HTML... I don't think I remember much.

What did you do?

Just a small about me page, gonna fill it up with more content later.

I remember struggling really hard with stuff like rounded corners, but now it all just came back to me

Total skillwise though I'm still a newbie, but a surviving one!

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5717 on: May 26, 2015, 06:46:22 PM »
Oh god, I misread that as 86 degrees Celsius and thought 'Jesus, where's that?'

The so-called 'Death Valley', California might be a candidate. That and Mordor.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5718 on: May 26, 2015, 06:47:31 PM »
You could get Haiz to guide you if they're going to work in Prague (?). Unless it's the hurdle is the process of getting there.

yeeeeeeeeeees I'm willing to be anyone's Prague guide!!!
If you tempt me I'll begin to think abou... *Self-confidence's collapse* Ok. Later.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #5719 on: May 26, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »
The so-called 'Death Valley', California might be a candidate. That and Mordor.
I was thinking more the dark side of Mercury, but.. That works.

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #5720 on: May 26, 2015, 07:06:57 PM »
What's your ratio of wanted vs. unwanted threads (the software actually calls them "topics")?

I note that within the pages of a topic, there's a pair of buttons (one on top, one at the bottom) labeled "Mark unread" whose URLs actually contain "...?action=markasread;sa=topic;...". My assumption is that the button's plain mislabeled, and marks the entire topic read

I just tried it: it marked all the posts on that thread as UNread, presumably so one could later on come back to the page through the "unread posts" button.
My one-and-only: :uk:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #5721 on: May 26, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »
Oh god, I misread that as 86 degrees Celsius and thought 'Jesus, where's that?'
Well, it's provably not heaven.

FWIW, the highest temperatures ever measured on Earth on site (and barring various forms of volcanic activity) are in the 56-58 C range, but satellite surveys indicate hot pockets with up to 70.7 C (Lut desert, Iran, 2005) - on the ground, which yields higher values than standardized meteorological measurements above the ground.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #5722 on: May 26, 2015, 07:25:05 PM »
Well, it's provably not heaven.

FWIW, the highest temperatures ever measured on Earth on site (and barring various forms of volcanic activity) are in the 56-58 C range, but satellite surveys indicate hot pockets with up to 70.7 C (Lut desert, Iran, 2005) - on the ground, which yields higher values than standardized meteorological measurements above the ground.
So Venus seems about right, or possibly the core of Jupiter.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #5723 on: May 26, 2015, 07:37:20 PM »
I just tried it: it marked all the posts on that thread as UNread, presumably so one could later on come back to the page through the "unread posts" button.
Sapristi. :(
[Googles a bit]
Well, it seems that there are ~2 inofficial mods for SMF to provide the functionality, but doing it properly means that you put a performance killer at users' fingertips, hence nothing official ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5724 on: May 26, 2015, 09:59:26 PM »
I FINISHED WRITING
I mean it's highly unadvisable to finish writing Very Important Exam Assignments right before 4AM when your judgement isn't exactly in its best shape, but it worked wonders last semester, so hOW hARD CAN IT BE. It's a beautiful trainwreck of an architectural analysis, if I say so myself, and in a desperate attempt to fill the word count I've written things like
"I’ve reached the conclusion that the building is a museum, a museum about a phenomenon, a museum to a monument. But the museum in itself can also be a phenomenon, not to mention a monument. To sum that up, it is a phenomenal monument to a monumental phenomenon."
......... or explained that things turn white when covered with snow. I'm great at writing academic texts can you tell

For some inexplicable reason we have to turn in actual physical copies of the thing? at the university?? before two o clock?? last time we did it over internet this is so scary?? and this means that of course, of COURSE the printer is offline. I don't know how to fix that but if I leave some desperate notes for my family in the morning, and maybe even wake up early myself, I'm too tired to really panic right now.
It's almost completely light outside and the sun didn't even go down,, and why am I even surprised. this happens every year
you'll know where to find me.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #5725 on: May 26, 2015, 10:03:34 PM »
I FINISHED WRITING
I mean it's highly unadvisable to finish writing Very Important Exam Assignments right before 4AM when your judgement isn't exactly in its best shape, but it worked wonders last semester, so hOW hARD CAN IT BE. It's a beautiful trainwreck of an architectural analysis, if I say so myself, and in a desperate attempt to fill the word count I've written things like

"I’ve reached the conclusion that the building is a museum, a museum about a phenomenon, a museum to a monument. But the museum in itself can also be a phenomenon, not to mention a monument. To sum that up, it is a phenomenal monument to a monumental phenomenon."
......... or explained that things turn white when covered with snow. I'm great at writing academic texts can you tell

For some inexplicable reason we have to turn in actual physical copies of the thing? at the university?? before two o clock?? last time we did it over internet this is so scary?? and this means that of course, of COURSE the printer is offline. I don't know how to fix that but if I leave some desperate notes for my family in the morning, and maybe even wake up early myself, I'm too tired to really panic right now.
It's almost completely light outside and the sun didn't even go down,, and why am I even surprised. this happens every year

CONGRATULATIONS HAIZ 
Marathon finisher!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #5726 on: May 26, 2015, 10:06:09 PM »
I FINISHED WRITING

Congratulations on finishing your analysis! :D
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #5727 on: May 26, 2015, 10:06:50 PM »
I FINISHED WRITING

So this is what making the word count is.

(Good job! And you should probably sleep. Sleep is good.)

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5728 on: May 26, 2015, 10:08:22 PM »
this is a beautiful sentence, Haiz.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #5729 on: May 26, 2015, 10:22:39 PM »
I FINISHED WRITING

Yaay, congratulations! :)

And Kronk would be proud of that sentence, very proud.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."