Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424302 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5700 on: May 26, 2015, 02:47:19 PM »
Hmm, that's a good point. I certainly could make that request, if it came to it. Whether they'd comply--and whether they'd even be able to get me back into my current position--is another question, but that'd definitely be the better way to handle it, if it came to that. (And they're always hurting for technical people qualified to do what I currently do...) Of course, it's not even certain whether I'd get the position, even if I say yes now: my department's so understaffed they might not be able to spare me, and there are other people they're currently considering for it as well.

You might also want to consider future career options. Like, might other opportunities (in your current company or another company) that appeal to you present themselves if you don't commit yourself to this project - or is this project a rare opportunity. Will joining the project help advance your career later, either in the company or on the job market. Those kind of things.

It's funny to me that I'm giving career advice considering how apathetic I am to the concept.

EDIT:

My technical skills will definitely atrophy, and it will make it much more difficult to move into the more technical positions that I like in the future.

If technical things are what you like doing it would make sense to try to improve that aspect and focus on positions that allow you to do so.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:49:38 PM by Fimbulvarg »

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #5701 on: May 26, 2015, 02:51:03 PM »

The other, possibly biggest, concern is that this would be taking me away from the parts of my job that I love most: the technical stuff. My technical skills will definitely atrophy, and it will make it much more difficult to move into the more technical positions that I like in the future. Wyrd has suggested that maybe I should make that sort of thing my hobby rather than my job, doing it at home, but I don't know... This position does involve things I enjoy (education, to make it short), I just don't enjoy those things as much as I do a good problem to be solved. So that side of it kinda comes down to: cushy (but somewhat volatile) job doing something I enjoy and do well; or stressful (but stable) job doing something I'm very passionate about.

Well next step: you have two scenarios
a) take the job
b) stay at current position

I would try to picture for both my worst case scenario and the best case. Then add to both the question of carreer/work safety as fimby suggested. Maybe it helps.

And if nothing else helps, flip a coin, your instincts might wake up then =)
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #5702 on: May 26, 2015, 03:12:31 PM »
The only workaround I've found is to read through the threads I want.  Then, once only unwanted threads show up on pressing "Unread posts," hit "Mark Read" and they won't show up the *next* time you press "Unread posts."
What's your ratio of wanted vs. unwanted threads (the software actually calls them "topics")?

I note that within the pages of a topic, there's a pair of buttons (one on top, one at the bottom) labeled "Mark unread" whose URLs actually contain "...?action=markasread;sa=topic;...". My assumption is that the button's plain mislabeled, and marks the entire topic read, but I didn't try it out yet. So, if there's only a few topics you're not interested in, you could click them open from "unread posts" just the same, and then dismiss them with just one scroll+click+tabclose.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #5703 on: May 26, 2015, 03:23:53 PM »
What's your ratio of wanted vs. unwanted threads (the software actually calls them "topics")?

I note that within the pages of a topic, there's a pair of buttons (one on top, one at the bottom) labeled "Mark unread" whose URLs actually contain "...?action=markasread;sa=topic;...". My assumption is that the button's plain mislabeled, and marks the entire topic read, but I didn't try it out yet. So, if there's only a few topics you're not interested in, you could click them open from "unread posts" just the same, and then dismiss them with just one scroll+click+tabclose.

I have posted in many a thread that I really don't have too much of a connection to and this is really the only way I've used? Then again, I don't really mind having to read it all since I've got a bit of a compulsion to have as many things marked 'read' as possible, so...
YEET

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5704 on: May 26, 2015, 04:29:42 PM »
It is a lovely city I would definitely recommend visiting.  Just if you are out at night don't make eye contact with the black guys standing in front of clubs.  They will happily follow you for the best part of a mile trying to convince you to come into the club and sell you tickets.  It is kinda funny at first but by about the third time it gets really annoying.
I... don't think "funny" would be the first word which will come to me O_o
But I'll all the same visit Prague one day. It's just the idea of traveling alone which still brake me :-\
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5705 on: May 26, 2015, 04:32:48 PM »
But I'll all the same visit Prague one day. It's just the idea of traveling alone which still brake me :-\

You could get Haiz to guide you if they're going to work in Prague (?). Unless it's the hurdle is the process of getting there.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:40:54 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5706 on: May 26, 2015, 04:38:13 PM »
You could get Haiz to guide you if they're going to work in Prague (?). Unless it's the hurdle is the process of getting there.

yeeeeeeeeeees I'm willing to be anyone's Prague guide!!! I mean I don't know Prague very well but I'm going to be all alone in a huge scary city for two months..................... I'll also be working/probably living at a hotel (a fancy clarion one in the most modern part of the city it seems??) but uh there are probably cheaper places to live
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:43:11 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Divra

« Reply #5707 on: May 26, 2015, 05:23:29 PM »
Just thought I'd leave this here...

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #5708 on: May 26, 2015, 05:56:37 PM »
Oh, yeah, this happened. Now they're celebrating me for bringing the fandoms together ::)

It's dangerous to go alone, take this :D
Congratulations on that epic feat! Here's a custom made squirrel cookie launcher! I hope you'll like your gift!

P.S. No real squirrels were used and/or injured!
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5709 on: May 26, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »

It's dangerous to go alone, take this :D
Congratulations on that epic feat! Here's a custom made squirrel cookie launcher! I hope you'll like your gift!

P.S. No real squirrels were used and/or injured!

I feel like that might just scare newcomers away, haha. Useful in combat, though; I could attach it to my cookie machine gun ::)

Bluhhhhhh, so I had to walk home from work today because my phone died and I couldn't call my sister for a ride... Well, it's 86°F outside and humid - it was a 45 minute walk and needless to say, I melted -_-

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #5710 on: May 26, 2015, 06:15:20 PM »
Bluhhhhhh, so I had to walk home from work today because my phone died and I couldn't call my sister for a ride... Well, it's 86°F outside and humid - it was a 45 minute walk and needless to say, I melted -_-
Oh god, I misread that as 86 degrees Celsius and thought 'Jesus, where's that?'

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5711 on: May 26, 2015, 06:17:46 PM »

Then I would actually have melted.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #5712 on: May 26, 2015, 06:17:58 PM »

hahaha, Piney has been through hell!
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #5713 on: May 26, 2015, 06:18:13 PM »
Did some HTML and CSS again today, after almost 2 and a half years without. It was actually fun!

Granted, it was just one page, but I made that page from scratch!! With stuff I remember from school!!

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #5714 on: May 26, 2015, 06:19:37 PM »
Did some HTML and CSS again today, after almost 2 and a half years without. It was actually fun!

Granted, it was just one page, but I made that page from scratch!! With stuff I remember from school!!

It's been so long since the last time I did some HTML... I don't think I remember much.

What did you do?

EDIT: You just answered that question now. XD
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."