Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387182 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5685 on: May 26, 2015, 09:22:34 AM »
Oh, it's that time of the year. Come to think of it, there's just next week left for me too before I get a long break. I need to start planning how to spend it.
I'm not saying everyone should go to prague this summer, but........ heyyy would anyone like to visit Prague this summer

I'm making pretty good progress on my assignment writing today actually!! but I'm not even halfway and I'm not sure how complicated and/or poetic I should construct my sentences likening a modernistic building to a glacier for the sake of word count..........
okay I'm slinking back to offline status now bye
you'll know where to find me.

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #5686 on: May 26, 2015, 09:34:30 AM »
As someone who recently graduated, I find it weird to see other people talking about finals and such. I mean, last year I was also stressed out and everything, but now I don't have any tests to study for, and my year looks so empty and strange. I feel like I'm in a really extended vacation that wasn't supposed to happen.

And we are preparing for winter here, so I can't relate to these summer feelings. :/
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5687 on: May 26, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »
I'm not saying everyone should go to prague this summer, but........ heyyy would anyone like to visit Prague this summer
Prague is still on my list of "places I want to visit one day"...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5688 on: May 26, 2015, 09:39:36 AM »

Already been there and seen the main sights. The food and drink is good enough to warrant another trip, but mmm, my wallet would protest.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #5689 on: May 26, 2015, 09:44:58 AM »
Prague is still on my list of "places I want to visit one day"...

It is a lovely city I would definitely recommend visiting.  Just if you are out at night don't make eye contact with the black guys standing in front of clubs.  They will happily follow you for the best part of a mile trying to convince you to come into the club and sell you tickets.  It is kinda funny at first but by about the third time it gets really annoying.

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #5690 on: May 26, 2015, 11:54:12 AM »
So I spiffied up my signature! Yey! I feel it still needs something. . . I'll be back in a minute, maybe.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #5691 on: May 26, 2015, 01:23:40 PM »
Is there a way to remove threads from one's "watch" list or whatever it's called?

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #5692 on: May 26, 2015, 01:27:27 PM »
Is there a way to remove threads from one's "watch" list or whatever it's called?
If you mean the 'unread posts' section, I don't think so. However, if you select the 'new replies to your posts' section it only shows threads you've posted on.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #5693 on: May 26, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »
So here's what I'm mulling over today:

A couple years ago at work, I was placed in a special position to do a project that ended up going south. Most of the issue there was that the whole thing was just very badly put-together, without a lot of thought as to what the situation required; some of the problem was that I was treating it more passively than it needed (that being what I was told to expect), trying to do as I was told and not complaining about the problems, rather than simply doing what needed to be done. I don't think I could be blamed for that, exactly, but certainly it would've turned out better if I'd been more aggressive about it at the time.

Long story short: the problems mostly got blamed on me, and I got kicked out of the project, eventually coming to my current position. Now the person they got to replace me is leaving, and I've been tentatively offered the job again. I have ALL THE MIXED FEELINGS about this. On the one hand, a lot of the problems we had before have been ironed out in the past few years; the project manager was very contrite when talking to me about how things had gone wrong before and didn't seem remotely inclined to blame me for it (which is a relief); I'm much better at being aggressive and setting my own goals and boundaries now than I was before; and the position is really cushy. I would make my own hours, make my own projects, get a possible pay raise and might even be able to work from home--this would also make it possible for me to attend school if I wanted, in the future. On the other hand, it's a largely non-technical position, which is not my favorite, since I adore being handed malfunctioning systems to pummel into submission and was hoping to push into even more technical positions in the future; and there's a lot of baggage in this job. Last time, the blow fell right around christmas time, right after I got engaged to Wyrd and was trying to plan the wedding on top of everything else--I actually fainted from the stress in the middle of the store while we were ring shopping, ffs! I am very, very wary about having that sort of thing happen again, and one clear way to do that would be to stay in my current position, where duties are clearly and unambiguously defined and expectations are easy to meet. But then, no risk, no gain, right? Just need some time to think about it, I think.

Yup! Go to profile > modify profile > notifications, then under the "Current Topic Notifications" section check the box next to the thread and click "unnotify".

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5694 on: May 26, 2015, 02:05:52 PM »
Long story short: the problems mostly got blamed on me, and I got kicked out of the project, eventually coming to my current position. Now the person they got to replace me is leaving, and I've been tentatively offered the job again. I have ALL THE MIXED FEELINGS about this. On the one hand, a lot of the problems we had before have been ironed out in the past few years; the project manager was very contrite when talking to me about how things had gone wrong before and didn't seem remotely inclined to blame me for it (which is a relief); I'm much better at being aggressive and setting my own goals and boundaries now than I was before; and the position is really cushy. I would make my own hours, make my own projects, get a possible pay raise and might even be able to work from home--this would also make it possible for me to attend school if I wanted, in the future. On the other hand, it's a largely non-technical position, which is not my favorite, since I adore being handed malfunctioning systems to pummel into submission and was hoping to push into even more technical positions in the future; and there's a lot of baggage in this job. Last time, the blow fell right around christmas time, right after I got engaged to Wyrd and was trying to plan the wedding on top of everything else--I actually fainted from the stress in the middle of the store while we were ring shopping, ffs! I am very, very wary about having that sort of thing happen again, and one clear way to do that would be to stay in my current position, where duties are clearly and unambiguously defined and expectations are easy to meet. But then, no risk, no gain, right? Just need some time to think about it, I think.

That's the good old "safe job with fewer opportunities versus risky job with opportunities" set-up. In the end only you know all the things that factor into the decision, which means it's not easy to give advice. If you do join in on the project and it turns out to be too turbulent, can't you request to be returned to your old post?

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5695 on: May 26, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »
That's the good old "safe job with fewer opportunities versus risky job with opportunities" set-up. In the end only you know all the things that factor into the decision, which means it's not easy to give advice. If you do join in on the project and it turns out to be too turbulent, can't you request to be returned to your old post?

Hmm, that's a good point. I certainly could make that request, if it came to it. Whether they'd comply--and whether they'd even be able to get me back into my current position--is another question, but that'd definitely be the better way to handle it, if it came to that. (And they're always hurting for technical people qualified to do what I currently do...) Of course, it's not even certain whether I'd get the position, even if I say yes now: my department's so understaffed they might not be able to spare me, and there are other people they're currently considering for it as well.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #5696 on: May 26, 2015, 02:28:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies, hushpiper and ParanormalAndroid - though I realise I asked the wrong question. What I wanted was to edit the list of threads that "Show new replies to your posts" takes me to, since it's such a handy link. But I guess that is impossible, I can't see anything related to that in my profile.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #5697 on: May 26, 2015, 02:31:04 PM »
Hmm, that's a good point. I certainly could make that request, if it came to it. Whether they'd comply--and whether they'd even be able to get me back into my current position--is another question, but that'd definitely be the better way to handle it, if it came to that. (And they're always hurting for technical people qualified to do what I currently do...) Of course, it's not even certain whether I'd get the position, even if I say yes now: my department's so understaffed they might not be able to spare me, and there are other people they're currently considering for it as well.

any other pros and cons which you have not considered yet? How many of the people being previously involved are still at the project for example.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #5698 on: May 26, 2015, 02:38:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies, hushpiper and ParanormalAndroid - though I realise I asked the wrong question. What I wanted was to edit the list of threads that "Show new replies to your posts" takes me to, since it's such a handy link. But I guess that is impossible, I can't see anything related to that in my profile.

I've wondered about that too, in my case w/r/t "Unread posts."  There doesn't seem to be a way to tell the Forum, e.g. "I'm not interested in the latest in the Heavy Metal thread." 

The only workaround I've found is to read through the threads I want.  Then, once only unwanted threads show up on pressing "Unread posts," hit "Mark Read" and they won't show up the *next* time you press "Unread posts."

It's only a temporary fix, but better than nothing.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:45:50 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5699 on: May 26, 2015, 02:45:53 PM »

Ahhhh yeah, that part is generated by the software using some kind of voodoo that I admit I don't really understand, more's the pity. As far as I know there's not really a way to customize it at all (in fact, a lot of people suggest turning it off entirely for performance reasons, but I just like it too much to do that), but if I find anything I'll let you know.

any other pros and cons which you have not considered yet? How many of the people being previously involved are still at the project for example.

Well, I've been sort of peripherally involved in the project anyway over the past couple years (the person they replaced me with was not so technically-minded as me, so they had to ask my help, oh-ho-ho *dry, sarcastic laugh*), so I've still worked with the people in question on and off. One of them is difficult to get hold of when you need him but we work very well together; the other is a very, very nice guy but just very... milquetoast. Which means that in order to work well with him you've got to be the one with the spine and the fire under your butt, which is not natural to me. And because it's not natural to me, it's a bit of a strain, especially over time. I'd be worried that I couldn't keep it up if I were stressed, for example.

The other, possibly biggest, concern is that this would be taking me away from the parts of my job that I love most: the technical stuff. My technical skills will definitely atrophy, and it will make it much more difficult to move into the more technical positions that I like in the future. Wyrd has suggested that maybe I should make that sort of thing my hobby rather than my job, doing it at home, but I don't know... This position does involve things I enjoy (education, to make it short), I just don't enjoy those things as much as I do a good problem to be solved. So that side of it kinda comes down to: cushy (but somewhat volatile) job doing something I enjoy and do well; or stressful (but stable) job doing something I'm very passionate about.