Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409364 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5625 on: May 24, 2015, 12:15:02 PM »
It's really good to jump into a jumper after a whole day of wearing a god damn dress with a really uncomfortable tie. Just lean back and relax.
You got all the way home before ripping the durn thing off your neck? ;)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Divra

« Reply #5626 on: May 24, 2015, 12:19:17 PM »
I agree, I absolutely hate how uncomfortable western formal/work wear is. Why couldn't it be kimonos or viking tunics.

I consider my suit to be the second-most comfortable garment I own... and a formal kimono is a mountain of fabric.

JoB

« Reply #5627 on: May 24, 2015, 12:20:47 PM »
I agree, I absolutely hate how uncomfortable western formal/work wear is. Why couldn't it be kimonos or viking tunics.
Fun fact: Ties (the most uncomfortable part of the entire getup IMHO), called something closer to the French term "cravate" in most other languages, are descendant of the "chiffons croates" (Croatian scarf) worn by the Croation cavalry at the French royal court. I'm willing to bet they weren't nearly as tight back then.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #5628 on: May 24, 2015, 12:23:26 PM »

Also the English word "dress" (nor: kjole) does not mean the same as the Norwegian word "dress". But maybe it wasn't a false friend in this case.

I got them mixed up. Been complaining about my suit so much everything just melted into "dress". Oh well.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5629 on: May 24, 2015, 12:26:38 PM »
I consider my suit to be the second-most comfortable garment I own... and a formal kimono is a mountain of fabric.

That would entirely depend on the wearer's age and the purpose of the kimono, adult kimono tend to be simpler aside of special ones such as wedding kimono. Besides with kimono formality is relative: a person needing formal dress to work would not be wearing a furisode (the true mountain-of-fabric type kimono, usually only worn by young girls for celebrations). The kind of a kimono you would be wearing instead could be f.ex. a simple iromuji (= one colour) and they're really comfy once you get used to wearing one. :)
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5630 on: May 24, 2015, 12:32:28 PM »
That would entirely depend on the wearer's age and the purpose of the kimono, adult kimono tend to be simpler aside of special ones such as wedding kimono. Besides with kimono formality is relative: a person needing formal dress to work would not be wearing a furisode (the true mountain-of-fabric type kimono, usually only worn by young girls for celebrations). The kind of a kimono you would be wearing instead could be f.ex. a simple iromuji (= one colour) and they're really comfy once you get used to wearing one. :)

Since we're already talking about traditional Asian clothing: There's also the happi, a traditional style of Japanese work-wear. It is both loose-fitting and simple to wear.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5631 on: May 24, 2015, 12:33:30 PM »
*Looks at her heavy sport's kimono* Not all the kimonos are comfortable ^^ But a real one, I would love to try. (With some help to put it, I assume.)
I don't know about viking tunics but the underwear dress in medieval reconstruction is one of the most comfortable clothing I have ever worn :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5632 on: May 24, 2015, 12:35:02 PM »
I think it's pretty funny how my jumpsuit has a lusekofte pattern

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5633 on: May 24, 2015, 12:37:47 PM »
I don't know about viking tunics but the underwear dress in medieval reconstruction is one of the most comfortable clothing I have ever worn :)

That's funny, because I've always imagined that medieval underwear was really lousy. The materials available were wool and coarse linen after all, at least in Europe until cotton became available in the late renaissance.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #5634 on: May 24, 2015, 12:58:25 PM »
I made pancakes! All by myself!

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #5635 on: May 24, 2015, 01:15:59 PM »
I found a cool thing: http://map.ipviking.com/#
Its a map that shows in realtime all of the hacking going on in the world and its kind of mesmerizing to watch.

As cool as that is, I am forced to question how they are calculating all of those.  Especially as in general part of the idea behind hacking is to avoid being noticed.

JoB

« Reply #5636 on: May 24, 2015, 01:20:45 PM »
As cool as that is, I am forced to question how they are calculating all of those.  Especially as in general part of the idea behind hacking is to avoid being noticed.
The only way to do a realtime categorization of traffic to various perfectly normal ports as "hacking" is to set up a honeypot at an unused IP. Which means that the "hacking" you see occur there is port scanners and script-kiddy-ism.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5637 on: May 24, 2015, 01:27:12 PM »
That's funny, because I've always imagined that medieval underwear was really lousy. The materials available were wool and coarse linen after all, at least in Europe until cotton became available in the late renaissance.
Mine is in linen (well, not exactly medieval linen but we were very careful in the choice of fabrics) and adjusted, but impossible to find a picture :-\ When I was in home after a reconstruction I often stayed with this clothing after a fight to remove the heavy dress.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5638 on: May 24, 2015, 01:35:11 PM »
I found a cool thing: http://map.ipviking.com/#
Its a map that shows in realtime all of the hacking going on in the world and its kind of mesmerizing to watch.

Set your hacks to "stun"

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #5639 on: May 24, 2015, 01:56:28 PM »
I made pancakes! All by myself!
Pancakes :D
Congrats on the cooking success!  I can't seem to make the batter right, but I can cook it up just fine if someone can supply me with some, haha.  *can't cook anything to save his life*
Feel free to PM.