Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409151 times)

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5415 on: May 19, 2015, 09:29:50 AM »
Does this go here? It probably does.

Random announcement: Resident ninja has become Australian. Now the flags in her signature stand for languages spoken, places lived in, and countries belonging to!

<insert long rant about Australian bureaucracy not accepting umlauts or any other accents in official documentation here>

<insert second long rant about leaving the country in three weeks and having a truckload of schoolwork to finish before that happens here>

<insert plea for help here>

Hug a Wombat for me! (or just see a Wombat, that is fine to)
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5416 on: May 19, 2015, 09:49:37 AM »
I'm starting a new internship/volunteer-ship today \o/
(i don't know if there's wifi there though. I might not be around for several hours.) :P

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #5417 on: May 19, 2015, 10:10:27 AM »
Good luck Piney! Knock 'em... okay, maybe don't knock them dead, but, y'know, do thee well.

And Lenny, best of luck with not only moving and schoolwork, but finding a new home for your umlauts!
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #5418 on: May 19, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »
(i don't know if there's wifi there though. I might not be around for several hours.) :P

Yay! I will repeat Adrai's sage advice to not actually knock them dead, but I'm sure you'll do fine. Wishing you the best!

Divra

« Reply #5419 on: May 19, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »
Hug a Wombat for me! (or just see a Wombat, that is fine to)

WOMBATS!

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #5420 on: May 19, 2015, 12:29:41 PM »
Yaaaay, Lenny and Piney! 
Len, hope the work goes well and quickly.  Drink plenty of chocolate milk and tea, and you can handle it!  \o/

Piney, any details on the work?  Or is it super secret and not for talking about?  Either way, congrats on landing the position!
Feel free to PM.

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #5421 on: May 19, 2015, 12:31:17 PM »
Good luck Piney! Knock 'em... okay, maybe don't knock them dead, but, y'know, do thee well.

And Lenny, best of luck with not only moving and schoolwork, but finding a new home for your umlauts!

I second this!! Congratulations and good luck for both of you! :)

About bugs again... I opened the kitchen pantry today and one of them flew right at me. Simply disgusting.
And I haven't found the dead spider's body yet. I guess I will buy a bug-eating lizard and leave it patrolling around the house.
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #5422 on: May 19, 2015, 01:33:22 PM »
Does this go here? It probably does.
<insert long rant about Australian bureaucracy not accepting umlauts or any other accents in official documentation here>

I still say, if umlauts were good enough for the Queen, they should be good enough for 'Stralia!

Awesome!  Good for you.

Even if you're gone for a few hours, it's okay because you can store up stories to tell when you return.
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5423 on: May 19, 2015, 02:03:43 PM »
And older cities that have grown naturally rather than being planned are beautiful.
...except that all the streets are like "Wheee! I'm a cow-path! I can make *loops*!"
*loves her grid-system*
That said, though, any city should have parks that are not boring and sterile. If they don't, they're doing it wrong. And also, here at least, there are lots of street-trees and gardens.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5424 on: May 19, 2015, 03:16:31 PM »
another 1000 adult points to haiz, not only for writing an Adult Email but for writing my first adult email in Czech!!! also it really does seem like im getting that hotel job in prague wow wowowow wow wow

(must be added that writing adult emails in czech is 80% scarier than in norwegian because scary grammar and czech still being one of those languages where you refer to people with plural 'you', like in spanish and french. i did not realize this until i was a teenager and had rudely been calling teachers, shopkeepers, waitresses and other authorities singular you all that time.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:26:30 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #5425 on: May 19, 2015, 03:25:02 PM »
another 1000 adult points to haiz, not only for writing an Adult Email but for writing my first adult email in Czech!!! also it really does seem like im getting that hotel job in prague wow wowowow wow wow

(must be added that writing adult emails in czech is 80% scarier than in norwegian because scary grammar and czech still being one of those languages where you refer to people with plural 'you', like in spanish and french. i did not realize this until i was a teenagers and had rudely been calling teachers, shopkeepers, waitresses and other authorities singular you all that time.)

Yay for adult emails!  :D I still sweat a lot when writing business-emails in english...

I just came back from spontaneous singing and playing in church...our conducter called me in the afternoon to ask if I could come. It was fun but he decided to add a duo at the last moment...and singing after playing oboe is hard because I need to conciously relax my throat and face, else *squeak*.
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #5426 on: May 19, 2015, 04:43:30 PM »

(must be added that writing adult emails in czech is 80% scarier than in norwegian because scary grammar and czech still being one of those languages where you refer to people with plural 'you', like in spanish and french. i did not realize this until i was a teenager and had rudely been calling teachers, shopkeepers, waitresses and other authorities singular you all that time.)
Huzzah!  Writing important emails strangely does feel super significant and like a gateway to adulthood.  I wrote one this morning!  It was very... curt; no fluff, no salutations, just a "hello this is what I want, when can you give it to me?"  :x  I wrote it like that because the person is probably really busy and wanted me to get to the point, and then I realized it was kinda rude, but uncharacteristically decided that I didn't care and sent it anyway.  Then the automated response came back and said they'd be out of the office today.  :I
Feel free to PM.

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #5427 on: May 19, 2015, 04:50:08 PM »
Huzzah!  Writing important emails strangely does feel super significant and like a gateway to adulthood.  I wrote one this morning!  It was very... curt; no fluff, no salutations, just a "hello this is what I want, when can you give it to me?"  :x  I wrote it like that because the person is probably really busy and wanted me to get to the point, and then I realized it was kinda rude, but uncharacteristically decided that I didn't care and sent it anyway.  Then the automated response came back and said they'd be out of the office today.  :I

Heh, as a german I need to remind myself constantly not to be too straightforward in my emails...it's still strange to add "how are you - weather here is really nice - hope all is well" to an official email. Your email would be a perfect german email (at least for me) :)

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #5428 on: May 19, 2015, 05:00:46 PM »
Heh, as a german I need to remind myself constantly not to be too straightforward in my emails...it's still strange to add "how are you - weather here is really nice - hope all is well" to an official email. Your email would be a perfect german email (at least for me) :)
Well, I was emailing the study abroad officer at my uni, and I may very well end up in Germany when I take my semester!  :D
I'm ready.  \o/
Feel free to PM.

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #5429 on: May 19, 2015, 05:15:34 PM »
Well, I was emailing the study abroad officer at my uni, and I may very well end up in Germany when I take my semester!  :D
I'm ready.  \o/

Yay for intercultural training!  ;D I think you will find sparrings-partners here regardlass where you will end up...
I wish you luck that all goes as you wish! On what does it depend where your semester will be?