Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387386 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5355 on: May 18, 2015, 08:30:37 AM »
my eyelid is still twitching but I SURVIVED THE EXAM

it went both worse and better than expected, which maybe means it went exactly as expected, which is again to say it's nowehre near A material but I'm proobablyy not getting an F.

It was a little awkward to find out that I had described a completely different artist than Caspar Friedrich on that one particlar question, but for a shot in the dark I guess it was better than none. At least now I'll remember who Caspar Friedrich is forever. Neither did I remember Le Courbuisier's five principles on functionalism, but they're kinda dumb anyway I mean what did decoration ever do to you, dude

Congrats!  (Blasts Curry's flamethrower at the sky.) 

I had to refresh my memory on Le Corbusier just now, and was appalled to realize he personally was responsible for 99% of what was wrong with urban planning in post-WWII America.  (Besides, I bet those stupid pillars aren't earthquake-safe.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #5356 on: May 18, 2015, 08:32:54 AM »
No, it's just a different sens of humor ^^ And maybe people might never want to go to a museum with you, but it's another story.

I *absolutely* want to be guided around a museum by Haiz.  I am quite sincere about this.  I'd need my asthma inhaler, I'd be laughing so hard. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

daItrick

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Making terrible puns since 2004
  • Preferred pronouns: They/he
« Reply #5357 on: May 18, 2015, 08:33:32 AM »
I just want to know what kind of discussions went on when these decisions were made.

"I guess I was drunk when I drew that. Oh nevermind."
"But I want a tower."
"Uuuuh Guðmundur I think we ran out of wall to put the windows in..." "Naaah it's ok, just cut a notch to the roof it'll be fine."

I'm laughing so hard
Why did you do that Laufey WHY
Help me oh my lord
I am floating away, lost in a silent ballet.
     - Adam Young

:spain: :uk:
:chap7::chap8:
prev. RealRedCloudYT

{0,0}
 |)--)  
_"_"_

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #5358 on: May 18, 2015, 08:39:07 AM »
I *absolutely* want to be guided around a museum by Haiz.  I am quite sincere about this.  I'd need my asthma inhaler, I'd be laughing so hard.

Somehow I'm now imagining Haiz as a demented tour guide, making up stuff about the people in the dioramas in the natural history museum or inventing stories of artists or animal species or what have you.

Or as a stand-up comic doing a routine where she pretends to be a demented tour guide.  Hmm...
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5359 on: May 18, 2015, 08:39:31 AM »
I went with a friend one day. She spend nearly all her time to reinvent the cartels. (Do english native say cartel for the explanations written near to an object/painting ? In France the word means two very different things. My friend still laugh remembering that.) It was a... very special and funny time in museum ;D One other doesn't want to go to the Louvre with me. I don't understand why... ::)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5360 on: May 18, 2015, 08:42:05 AM »
The first time I saw a photo of Iceland, my though was "All right but... where are the trees ?". Today it's "But... windows... why ?" (I won't go in Iceland for forest neither architecture :P)

Q: What do you do if you get lost in an Icelandic forest?
A: Stand up.

That aside, is it normal to build houses out of corrugated iron in Iceland? I don't think I've ever seen that in Europe before (it seems to be the material of choice in slums).

Yes, it's a good go-to material in a city that a) has had numerous, horrific fires in the past because wood structures, narrow streets and lots and lots of wind are a bad combo, b) used to be so poor that building out of stone was not an option and c) occasionally just gets enough of seeing all that concrete everywhere. Corrugated iron houses are typical for Reykjavík downtown.

What I wonder is: Don't all those houses seem slightly off-kilter?  Like their floors aren't on the same parallel with the ground or other houses?  Or in some cases, even parallel with their own doors or windows?

Or is that just a trick of the photographs?

AmityM is right, they're all built on sloping streets (which coincidentally is the only kind of street the downtown area has).

I'm laughing so hard
Why did you do that Laufey WHY
Help me oh my lord

Because it's a total mystery what happened there and somehow these were the results! There has to be a logical explanation.

I put more photos of what-even house designing in the downtown area here. This is the immediate city centre by the way, all of these houses are a short walk away from each other.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5361 on: May 18, 2015, 08:43:20 AM »
What I wonder is: Don't all those houses seem slightly off-kilter?  Like their floors aren't on the same parallel with the ground or other houses?  Or in some cases, even parallel with their own doors or windows?
Maybe this is cheating because the house is really old, but

it's from Ribe in Denmark, we slept over in it and everything inside was really wonky and i kept crashing into walls and doorframes

And maybe people might never want to go to a museum with you, but it's an other story.
thAT IS TRU-
-wait what
I think you're overestimating my guiding abilities a little, but I'm very flattered

Congrats!  (Blasts Curry's flamethrower at the sky.) 

I had to refresh my memory on Le Corbusier just now, and was appalled to realize he personally was responsible for 99% of what was wrong with urban planning in post-WWII America.  (Besides, I bet those stupid pillars aren't earthquake-safe.)
where did you get their flamethrower. are you authorized for this. should i be worried

hahahaha yeahhhhhhhhhh he was. he was something all right
also not really corbusier, but we watched a video of the demolition of pruitt igoe and it was oddly satisfying

Somehow I'm now imagining Haiz as a demented tour guide, making up stuff about the people in the dioramas in the natural history museum or inventing stories of artists or animal species or what have you.

Or as a stand-up comic doing a routine where she pretends to be a demented tour guide.  Hmm...
ugh 'demented' is kind of a not good word??
also *ze
(also I would give you 103% TRU FACTS who do you think i am)
((im not saying i wouldn't imitate dinosaurs though. my dinosaur imitations are pretty good))
you'll know where to find me.

Mélusine

« Reply #5362 on: May 18, 2015, 08:45:55 AM »
Q: What do you do if you get lost in an Icelandic forest?
A: Stand up.
EVERY of my friends who spent Erasmus's year/vacations in Iceland say that ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #5363 on: May 18, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
AmityM is right, they're all built on sloping streets (which coincidentally is the only kind of street the downtown area has).

I have never been but I do remember some of the scenes from 101 Reykjavík!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #5364 on: May 18, 2015, 08:47:51 AM »
I went with a friend one day. She spend nearly all her time to reinvent the cartels. (Do english native say cartel for the explanations written near to an object/painting ? In France the word means two very different things. My friend still laugh remembering that.) It was a... very special and funny time in museum ;D One other doesn't want to go to the Louvre with me. I don't understand why... ::)

We'd say "labels" or "explanatory notes" or something -- if there's another common term for those little cards on museum walls, I can't think of it right now.

"Cartels" means something else in English:  a group of suppliers of some product/commodity who band together to restrict/regulate their output.  OPEC is a common example of a cartel.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #5365 on: May 18, 2015, 08:51:56 AM »
Meanwhile architecture in Iceland (or "architecture"):

I feel a kinship with that second house. I want a castle, too.

That aside, is it normal to build houses out of corrugated iron in Iceland? I don't think I've ever seen that in Europe before (it seems to be the material of choice in slums).

I used to think corrugated iron=slums, also. But back when my family wanted to build a house, my mother was all about these kit homes you could get, which were some pretty cool houses that are quite easy to build due to being corrugated iron rather than brick or wood. Apparently rather insulated, too? We didn't end up going that route, but there's a whole world out there of "classy" corrugated iron houses... (Not that I can ever think of corrugated iron as anything but bad taste, even with pretty designs and embellishments and colours.)

Also.. Haiz, congratulations ;) Good luck with the rest, too.

*laughs* This is why I am a professional forum ninja. 7 replies ninja'ing me the one time I decide to show up. I take much too long in saying things.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Mélusine

« Reply #5366 on: May 18, 2015, 08:54:32 AM »

it's from Ribe in Denmark, we slept over in it and everything inside was really wonky and i kept crashing into walls and doorframes
Frustration : I can hear my proper enthusiasm before remembering architecture's vocabulary might may get people lost in french and the fact I don't know the words for that in english but I LOVE THIS KIND OF HOUSES ! :D

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #5367 on: May 18, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
ugh 'demented' is kind of a not good word??
also *ze

You're quite right and I'm very sorry, all etiquette has left me temporarily.

I was trying to think of a word for some kind of breathless encounter with lots of energy and 103% TRU FACTS, and I still can't.  :(  Maybe this is a sign that I should go back to sleep.

(also I would give you 103% TRU FACTS who do you think i am)
((im not saying i wouldn't imitate dinosaurs though. my dinosaur imitations are pretty good))

♪ RAAAAR, velociraptor! ♬

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5368 on: May 18, 2015, 08:56:04 AM »
I put more photos of what-even house designing in the downtown area here. This is the immediate city centre by the way, all of these houses are a short walk away from each other.
wonky architecture makes me happy

EVERY of my friends who spent Erasmus's year/vacations in Iceland say that ^^
I OBJECT there is, like, one forest on Iceland. I've been there!
Spoiler: show

baby haiz posing with some ICELANDIC TREES wow wow wowowow wow

Also.. Haiz, congratulations ;) Good luck with the rest, too.

*laughs* This is why I am a professional forum ninja. 7 replies ninja'ing me the one time I decide to show up. I take much too long in saying things.
thanks!
also yeah this thread is suddenly VERY ACTIVE

You're quite right and I'm very sorry, all etiquette has left me temporarily.

I was trying to think of a word for some kind of breathless encounter with lots of energy and 103% TRU FACTS, and I still can't.  :(  Maybe this is a sign that I should go back to sleep.
I forgive thee
........ eccentric, mayhaps?

*tries to do a velociraptor screech but can't because my throat hates me*
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:01:32 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #5369 on: May 18, 2015, 08:56:36 AM »
We'd say "labels" or "explanatory notes" or something -- if there's another common term for those little cards on museum walls, I can't think of it right now.

Placard.