Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411700 times)

Divra

Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5190 on: May 13, 2015, 06:22:46 AM »
Well... that was unexpected.

Do I want to know? No, scratch that... I'm pretty certain I don't want to know. Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5191 on: May 13, 2015, 06:25:27 AM »
Do I want to know? No, scratch that... I'm pretty certain I don't want to know. Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss.
It's nothing bad, just...... weird? not even too weird, just... what
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5192 on: May 13, 2015, 06:28:53 AM »
It's nothing bad, just...... weird? not even too weird, just... what

Like "X-files theme starts playing in the background" weird. Not sure what I was expecting though.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #5193 on: May 13, 2015, 06:55:41 AM »
I searched up blart.com.

Who made that and why.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5194 on: May 13, 2015, 08:30:49 AM »
I searched up blart.com.

Who made that and why.

These are the important questions and I'm just sad it wasn't me...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
« Reply #5195 on: May 13, 2015, 09:44:27 AM »
 I just found some weird pictures when I was looking for a reference picture. I need an explosion, but not mushroom cloudy. I need one like Minna's! I guess I could use the page with the troll Emil explodes...
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #5196 on: May 13, 2015, 10:50:55 AM »
LATE REPLY IS LATE don't blame me I was hopped up on caffeine all day to deal with work and then we FINALLY got the keys to the new house and ofc had to go and change the locks right-then-immediately, and then I was all sad because the water heater was turned off so I couldn't mark my territory by taking a shower at the new place. SO SAD.

I WILL DO MY BEST PROBABLy

grisaille is one of those things I can actually explain at some length and still not fill a whole page..... i've tried.....
and for those who want to know it's when a painting is all in grey (hence the name) to imitate sculptures, because in the early northern renaissance there was this rivalry between sculptors and painters and the painters were all "haha we can do anything you can do but BETTER" *paints tiny stone bird that floats around in picture* "CAN YOU SCULPT A FLOATING STONE BIRD? BET YOU CAN'T"

Okay okay okay you know what I would do, if I were like looking over your papers and telling you how to make them All Better and Easier To Do? I'd say write it out exactly like you did there, caps and asterisks and jokes and everything, because that's your natural way of expressing things and so it's gonna be much easier for you that way. And then put that piece of paper (or document on your computer) to the side, and on another paper translate that into fancy-schmancy learned academic speech. In my experience fancy-schmancy speech is always way longer than normal talking anyway. Padding your papers is A-OK.

And keep in mind that when the teachers require you to write a specific amount on a subject? They're not doing it for you, they're doing it for the people who would otherwise just do the bare minimum to slide by. Most teachers will mark you down a bit for not writing quite enough, but a lot of them will be forgiving about it if the paper is otherwise good and you clearly know what you're talking about and put in effort on it. Especially if you've already taken the time to talk to them about improving your grades!

Hushpiper, you made my day!  8) I wish I'd had your good advice when struggling with college papers.  (Or even work assignments now.)  I always overthink things.  Now I'll be all, "one of those presenters who says the same things over and over in a monotone and moves their eyebrows too much."

Man, I used to work in the writing lab at my college, and you do not know how many people I talked to who were just ANGSTING over how dumb their paragraph transitions were or whatever, and I was like "dude, no, I know exactly what you're thinking and you are making this too complicated. I promise it does not sound as dumb as you think it sounds, and anyway you can fix it once the words are actually on the page. Write the dumbness. Do it. Dooooo eeeeeeet."

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #5197 on: May 13, 2015, 01:11:19 PM »
I knew what grisaille *was*
Gotta admit, I didn't. I honestly thought that when the French people talked about "grisaille", they were referring to overcast weather with drizzling rain. :P

Now I'll be all, "one of those presenters who says the same things over and over in a monotone and moves their eyebrows too much."
I guess it helps when you're an artist and look the part ...

I kind of want a profile pic history catalogue just to remember what I used to associate people with.
Umh ... I hope I remembered them all ...

I searched up blart.com.
Who made that and why.
Registrant Name: Simon Davis
Registrant Organization: Simon Davis
Registrant Street: Ave Sernambetiba 9550/611 Barra da Tijuca .
Registrant City: Rio de Janeiro
Registrant State/Province: RJ
Registrant Postal Code: 22795-006
Registrant Country: BR
Registrant Phone: +44.8707483333
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +44.1419316785
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: hostmaster@internetters.co.uk
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: Davis Simon
Admin Organization: Individual
Admin Street: Ave Sernambetiba 9550/611 Barra da Tijuca .
Admin City: Rio de Janeiro
Admin State/Province: RJ
Admin Postal Code: 22795-006
Admin Country: BR
Admin Phone: +44.8707483333
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax: +44.1419316785
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: hostmaster@internetters.co.uk
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5198 on: May 13, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »
*advice*
ahahah thanks

I've been trying to make myself write some sort of responsible response (......that sounded redundant) for a while, but hhh i'll just make a list of the things i wanted to say i guess

-it's gonna be in norwegian. because norway. which means not only is it much harder to create snappy tumblr-speak formulations but I've gotta..... learn all the norwegian terms.................... did i mention 90% of our books are in english

- first exam is a six hour sit-and-write, no books/notes allowed thing.

- second one is a six days long one where i will have to write an essay on art theory and it's gonna be hellish
(our lecturer in theory speaks danish so i have a lot less notes on it. what hte HECK is semiotics. i'll never find out)
((at least I'll have access to books and internet. except im incredibly bad at sources. augh))

............ but yeah I'm pretty optimistic. It's not gonna go super good but I won't fail probably. I might not be able to go super indepth on all the things, but I know something about everything!!
(except that was what I said last semester too, and it turned out there was ONE THING i had not read about, and of course we got a question about that. almost nobody in my class had read it. we didn't know about that text)

Divra

« Reply #5199 on: May 13, 2015, 04:16:24 PM »
ahahah thanks

I've been trying to make myself write some sort of responsible response (......that sounded redundant) for a while, but hhh i'll just make a list of the things i wanted to say i guess

-it's gonna be in norwegian. because norway. which means not only is it much harder to create snappy tumblr-speak formulations but I've gotta..... learn all the norwegian terms.................... did i mention 90% of our books are in english

- first exam is a six hour sit-and-write, no books/notes allowed thing.

- second one is a six days long one where i will have to write an essay on art theory and it's gonna be hellish
(our lecturer in theory speaks danish so i have a lot less notes on it. what hte HECK is semiotics. i'll never find out)
((at least I'll have access to books and internet. except im incredibly bad at sources. augh))

............ but yeah I'm pretty optimistic. It's not gonna go super good but I won't fail probably. I might not be able to go super indepth on all the things, but I know something about everything!!
(except that was what I said last semester too, and it turned out there was ONE THING i had not read about, and of course we got a question about that. almost nobody in my class had read it. we didn't know about that text)

"Semiotics... is the study of meaning-making, the philosophical theory of signs and symbols.[1] This includes the study of signs and sign processes (semiosis), indication, designation, likeness, analogy, metaphor, symbolism, signification, and communication. " Wikipedia.

Basically: "What do the things mean, and how does that differ from what the things are?"

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5200 on: May 13, 2015, 04:25:25 PM »
"Semiotics... is the study of meaning-making, the philosophical theory of signs and symbols.[1] This includes the study of signs and sign processes (semiosis), indication, designation, likeness, analogy, metaphor, symbolism, signification, and communication. " Wikipedia.

Basically: "What do the things mean, and how does that differ from what the things are?"
*reads through five times*
i'm going to cry
if the second exam is a semiotics analysis i'm going to cry for real

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #5201 on: May 13, 2015, 04:29:44 PM »
i'm going to cry

Heh. I once really cried over an exam. The professor watching over took me outside of the classroom, gave me some dried fruit and juice and once I calmed down enough we went back. Passed (with totally street credible tear stains in my papers)(btw professor watching over was not the same prof who corrected the exams so I know I didn't get pity points)!  ;D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Divra

« Reply #5202 on: May 13, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »
i'm going to cry

I don't know if I can help, but I have plenty of time and have taken a few related classes.

Don't worry too much about it though. This is one of the easy topics to fake. "Yes, but I interpreted X as..." is your friend. That's the beautiful thing about symbols, they only have the meaning you put into them, and if you put in other meanings, who's telling you otherwise?

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5203 on: May 13, 2015, 04:40:07 PM »
Heh. I once really cried over an exam. The professor watching over took me outside of the classroom, gave me some dried fruit and juice and once I calmed down enough we went back. Passed (with totally street credible tear stains in my papers)(btw professor watching over was not the same prof who corrected the exams so I know I didn't get pity points)!  ;D
ahahah yayy

I........ I have spent a lot of my academic carreer so far just crying about things and having teachers take pity on me. Not on any exams or finals or anything, but like, one time I could nOT decide for what topic I wanted my religions paper to be on, I think...... I think I made a spectacle out of shoving everything off my desk and curling into a ball on the floor to cry about how I couldn't pick a topic. (HAIZ VOTED FOR MOST DIGNIFIED) the teacher was all
"you know what, you've worked hard this year, I don't need another paper to grade you"
"NO BUT I HAVE TO DO IT"
"You don't have to, it's oka-"
"BUT I HAVE TO DO IT OR IT'LL BE UNFAIR"
"clearly you are too stressed to do it"
*incoherent gargling*
"your homework is to stress down"
"...................okay"

and that's how I never learnt to make an actual effort.

Don't worry too much about it though. This is one of the easy topics to fake. "Yes, but I interpreted X as..." is your friend. That's the beautiful thing about symbols, they only have the meaning you put into them, and if you put in other meanings, who's telling you otherwise?
hhhhhhhhhyeah i guess

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #5204 on: May 13, 2015, 05:03:27 PM »
ahahah yayy

I........ I have spent a lot of my academic carreer so far just crying about things and having teachers take pity on me. Not on any exams or finals or anything, but like, one time I could nOT decide for what topic I wanted my religions paper to be on, I think...... I think I made a spectacle out of shoving everything off my desk and curling into a ball on the floor to cry about how I couldn't pick a topic. (HAIZ VOTED FOR MOST DIGNIFIED) the teacher was all
"you know what, you've worked hard this year, I don't need another paper to grade you"
"NO BUT I HAVE TO DO IT"
"You don't have to, it's oka-"
"BUT I HAVE TO DO IT OR IT'LL BE UNFAIR"
"clearly you are too stressed to do it"
*incoherent gargling*
"your homework is to stress down"
"...................okay"

OH DEAR LORD, I want our criminalistics teacher say this to us :| As we all are on the verge of breakdown right now, but that's not her business. She wants papers to be done. And she never even tells us the grade, as she doesn't care. But we have to do it anyway (although we don't even know if we do tasks right of wrong), or she wouldn't let us take the exam.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany: