Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387239 times)

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5145 on: May 12, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »
Pfff, a literary festival begin in two weeks and I still don’t know, despite the registration two month ago, if I’m allowed or not to take part in a meeting with publishers :/ (The meeting is made for submitting a novel. Something like an interview, even if I hate speaking about me/what I write in front of unknown peoples, but I know I have to do something for this novel.) *Stress no doubt for nothing but stress*

Sounds similar to what happened when I was trying to figure out whether I'd made it in to the college program I wanted or not (I can't wait for the school year to start, eee!) I'd had no mail, no phone calls, and no e-mails, so I was really confused. I just kept calling/e-mailing the people who handled that stuff until I finally figured out what was going on and it eventually got worked out...have you tried that yet? silly question, I know, but its all I can think of :\ Just try not to stress so much. I'm sure it will al work out. ;)

still, that sounds really exciting! so you're an author? and where does this festival take place? my family loves that stuff, it might be something neat to check out one day :)

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5146 on: May 12, 2015, 10:04:23 AM »
I was just out to paint more on the fence (procrastination level: 63) because the sky orb was up, and the moment I went in again started the most intense downpour I've witnessed in months. There was thunder and hail and it laster for about ten minutes but everything's puddles now. It was amazing and I just went out again to walk around in puddles because puddles are great

also i have no idea how to study. first exam's in less than a week and i'm probably going to die
you'll know where to find me.

koalalou

• Scout
  • Attention Dazzling Heywhat'sthat Dysfunction
« Reply #5147 on: May 12, 2015, 10:12:28 AM »
I was just out to paint more on the fence (procrastination level: 63) because the sky orb was up, and the moment I went in again started the most intense downpour I've witnessed in months. There was thunder and hail and it laster for about ten minutes but everything's puddles now. It was amazing and I just went out again to walk around in puddles because puddles are great

also i have no idea how to study. first exam's in less than a week and i'm probably going to die

coming from thunderstorm central in Canada I can only agree--puddles are wonderful and that storm sounded absolutely lovely xD seriously though--we never seem to get hail with our rain/thunder/lightning so that storm sounded especially cool o 3o

uh...read through your notes, again? idk omg Haiz I just realized I'm going into college without knowing how to properly study
Q AQ //starts planning an autumn funeral to take place after the summer wedding//

Boop-boop-ba-doop~

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5148 on: May 12, 2015, 10:37:54 AM »
puddles are great
puddles are wonderful
Vad fanden

Puddles *grits teeth* ...

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5149 on: May 12, 2015, 10:39:29 AM »
Sounds similar to what happened when I was trying to figure out whether I'd made it in to the college program I wanted or not (I can't wait for the school year to start, eee!) I'd had no mail, no phone calls, and no e-mails, so I was really confused. I just kept calling/e-mailing the people who handled that stuff until I finally figured out what was going on and it eventually got worked out...have you tried that yet? silly question, I know, but its all I can think of :\ Just try not to stress so much. I'm sure it will al work out. ;)

still, that sounds really exciting! so you're an author? and where does this festival take place? my family loves that stuff, it might be something neat to check out one day :)
A friend told me the organization is always late for this festival. I suppose I can just wait and try not to stress too much. I'm very good to stress to much ^^° And it must have been more important for you with your college :) (Well, if it's a yes I'll go and stress and blush and probably eat my worlds but I'll do it, if it's a no I may feel bad because they had the 20 first pages, then I'll try something else to submit the novel. It would not be the end of the world... *Try to convince her*)

If by "an author" you mean "someone with published books", the answer is not yet. One day. I hope. If you mean "someone who write", yes, I'm one.
The festival (Les Imaginales) is in Épinal, in France. It's a small one, really smaller than Paris's literary's festival (Too big. Too many people. Too. Many. People.) and you always have a chance to find the authors outside the big tent or to speak with them at the bar. All will end in the edge of the river, chatting with friends of having a picnic. Meeting or not meeting publishers, it will be a good week-end :)

When I was at university, I always studied late for my exams (which had not always been a good idea, but, you know, procrastination...) and I was dealing with myself, like "You read all your Roman's religion's lessons, and after you'll make you a tea." I never died (Ok, one time, but the subject was awful.) You can do it ! :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5150 on: May 12, 2015, 01:16:41 PM »
Vad fanden

Puddles *grits teeth* ...
P U D D L E S

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5151 on: May 12, 2015, 01:28:49 PM »
P U D D L E S

Must be nice having like, what, only 800 mm or something like that of annual precipitation.

I don't mind rain per se, not even when scrambling in the mountains, but there's nothing worse than puddles when you're out running and it's dark outside. As long as one's feet are dry it doesn't matter how drenched one gets above the ankles.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5152 on: May 12, 2015, 01:36:52 PM »
Must be nice having like, what, only 800 mm or something like that of annual precipitation.

I don't mind rain per se, not even when scrambling in the mountains, but there's nothing worse than puddles when you're out running and it's dark outside. As long as one's feet are dry it doesn't matter how drenched one gets above the ankles.
I have to concur that rain, puddles, and by extension mud, are no fun in those situations. or most situations. but sOME TIMES.........

as far as studying goes I'm..... fairly confident I won't get an F because my geek aura is pretty strong and I've attended about every single lecture this semester and I've taken notes on Most Things. I could easily tell you something about every single thing we've had (save semiotics. what the HECK are semiotics), but the questions we'll get on the exam will probably be like "write a page about the grisaille-effect" and like............. how do you write a whole page about the grisaille-effect. And the questions might span absolutely ANYTHING from paintings, architecture, art methods, various -isms and art theory things from between the 1400s to now. It's just. so much. it's getting very evident I have no idea how to student properly

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #5153 on: May 12, 2015, 03:04:52 PM »

BS IT!

No, I'm totally serious. All the papers I wrote which got the best grades are the ones I wrote off the top of my head a few hours before class started, quickly double-checked to make sure they made sense and had the right structure, and then turned in as-is. You wanna write a whole page about grisaille (I honestly have no idea what that is)? Write down a sentence defining it. Then write it again, but longer and worded differently this time. Then give an example. Then discuss the example. Then give another. Then rewrite your first sentence again to finish it. Pretend you're one of those presenters on a boring documentary who says the same things over and over in a monotone and moves their eyebrows too much. It feels like you're saying the dumbest, most mind-blowingly obvious things possible, but if your teachers are anything like mine were, they will love it.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5154 on: May 12, 2015, 03:13:54 PM »
BS IT!

You wanna write a whole page about grisaille (I honestly have no idea what that is)?
I WILL DO MY BEST PROBABLy

grisaille is one of those things I can actually explain at some length and still not fill a whole page..... i've tried.....
and for those who want to know it's when a painting is all in grey (hence the name) to imitate sculptures, because in the early northern renaissance there was this rivalry between sculptors and painters and the painters were all "haha we can do anything you can do but BETTER" *paints tiny stone bird that floats around in picture* "CAN YOU SCULPT A FLOATING STONE BIRD? BET YOU CAN'T"

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #5155 on: May 12, 2015, 03:32:34 PM »
I WILL DO MY BEST PROBABLy

grisaille is one of those things I can actually explain at some length and still not fill a whole page..... i've tried.....
and for those who want to know it's when a painting is all in grey (hence the name) to imitate sculptures, because in the early northern renaissance there was this rivalry between sculptors and painters and the painters were all "haha we can do anything you can do but BETTER" *paints tiny stone bird that floats around in picture* "CAN YOU SCULPT A FLOATING STONE BIRD? BET YOU CAN'T"

Heh, I learned something new!  I knew what grisaille *was*, or at least good examples of it.  But I had no idea *why* painters did it.  I thought it was just, y'know, their version of a hipster Instagram filter.

BS IT!

You wanna write a whole page about grisaille? Write down a sentence defining it. Then write it again, but longer and worded differently this time. Then give an example. Then discuss the example. Then give another. Then rewrite your first sentence again to finish it.

Pretend you're one of those presenters on a boring documentary who says the same things over and over in a monotone and moves their eyebrows too much. It feels like you're saying the dumbest, most mind-blowingly obvious things possible, but if your teachers are anything like mine were, they will love it.

Hushpiper, you made my day!  8) I wish I'd had your good advice when struggling with college papers.  (Or even work assignments now.)  I always overthink things.  Now I'll be all, "one of those presenters who says the same things over and over in a monotone and moves their eyebrows too much."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:35:15 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #5156 on: May 12, 2015, 06:12:46 PM »
this is totally unrelated to whats going on, but I had to..
*Scrolling along* Look at all the pretty art! Nice profile pictures! *sees Curry's new profile pic* Oh, oh my gosh! *continues on to laugh so hard I start coughing up flem*
thank you for that Curry, it was funny  :P
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #5157 on: May 12, 2015, 06:24:42 PM »
this is totally unrelated to whats going on, but I had to..
*Scrolling along* Look at all the pretty art! Nice profile pictures! *sees Curry's new profile pic* Oh, oh my gosh! *continues on to laugh so hard I start coughing up flem*
thank you for that Curry, it was funny  :P

So many profile pics have been changed since this forum was founded (Except Eich's Hadfield avatar, among others, he's still floating around playing his guitar. Those two have a lot in common in that regard I suspect). I kind of want a profile pic history catalogue just to remember what I used to associate people with.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #5158 on: May 12, 2015, 06:30:29 PM »
So many profile pics have been changed since this forum was founded (Except Eich's Hadfield avatar, among others, he's still floating around playing his guitar. Those two have a lot in common in that regard I suspect). I kind of want a profile pic history catalogue just to remember what I used to associate people with.
hah, yeah. Mine so far have been the following Lallis:

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #5159 on: May 12, 2015, 06:40:09 PM »
Haiz, yours are nice because they're all the same character with very similar color schemes.

I have nothing to say for myself in regards to my fantastic image choices but be prepared for other fantastic draws made by various lovely forum users to be cycled through

at least they'll all be Karri
YEET