Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410504 times)

BreezeLouise

Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #5025 on: May 06, 2015, 05:17:43 PM »
My fear of heights is very selective - mountains? Sure! Cliffs? No problem! Skyscrapers? No sweat! Ropes course ten feet off the ground? WHAT IS THIS EVIL KILL ME NOW.

I'm actually really afraid of heights, but for some reason I'm totally okay while I'm flying. In fact, if I'm in a passenger jet or something, I always try to get the window seat. Cliffs and tall buildings, though? Nope, can't do it. I couldn't even take one setp onto the glass floor when I visited the CN Tower.
Life is a state of mind.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #5026 on: May 06, 2015, 05:28:05 PM »
ohhhh finally someone else who's scared of dogs, too
everyone is like "HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE DOGS"
and it's not like I don't think dogs aren't great but I'm always very anxious around them for some reason? probably not as intense as a straight out phobia, though..... I do have some memory of me as a kid desperately trying to run away from a very small dog with poofy white fur. i remember its sharp teeth
Funny story : one day, I was meeting a forum friend in her city and we were outside, in a park. A dog ran very fast in our direction, and both of us made one step back, trying to protect behind the other. Then exchanged a terrible "Oh, you too ?" look ^^°

I was bitten in the face by a small dog when I was 2. I have absolutely no memory about that, but some part of my brain must still have 2 years when a dog run in my direction. But you really look stupid, freezing, eyes closes, when the owner is almost laughing "He's not vicious !"
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5027 on: May 06, 2015, 05:30:15 PM »
What what when where what how

Eheheh, my grandpa took one of my sisters and I to a naval base once and we toured an aircraft carrier.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

BreezeLouise

« Reply #5028 on: May 06, 2015, 05:52:12 PM »
Eheheh, my grandpa took one of my sisters and I to a naval base once and we toured an aircraft carrier.

Aaahhhh, that is so cooool~ I'm not going to make you recount all the details or anything, but I'm totally jealous.
Life is a state of mind.

MrNegative

• pretty cool
« Reply #5029 on: May 06, 2015, 05:53:10 PM »
eugh
I hate this gif so much
Native: :usa:
Learning: :sweden:, :vaticancity:
On hold: :denmark:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #5030 on: May 06, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »
What is it of?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

MrNegative

• pretty cool
« Reply #5031 on: May 06, 2015, 08:09:59 PM »
What is it of?
They're on top of the scaffolding of some skyscraper in China, I think. The reason I hate it is how high they are without any safety gear which absolutely terrifies me.
Native: :usa:
Learning: :sweden:, :vaticancity:
On hold: :denmark:

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #5032 on: May 06, 2015, 08:15:14 PM »
I was bitten in the face by a small dog when I was 2. I have absolutely no memory about that, but some part of my brain must still have 2 years when a dog run in my direction. But you really look stupid, freezing, eyes closes, when the owner is almost laughing "He's not vicious !"

I have a similar story, but with a different ending... I was attacked by a dog when I was three, and the dog bit my face and I had to have my cheek stitched. Surprisingly, I'm not afraid of dogs. In fact, I love dogs, specially the big ones like german shepherds or golden retrievers. Go figure...

But recently I had a new fear added to my life. I went to the beach with my family, and me and my brothers went to the sea. The waves were not that big, but the sea was a little restless after a storm. Most people just swam through the waves like they were nothing. But I don't know how to swim, and I'm very short. My brothers, who are way taller than me, weren't affected by the height of the bigger waves, going straight to them, as I ran from them in terror.
The results: I was engulfed by one of the bigger waves, and went straight to the bottom, hurting my knee in the process.
After that, I had a few nightmares about giant waves coming for me.
Then, a few weeks ago, I watched "Interstellar" with my family. It was all fun and games, until those FREAKING HUGE WAVES appeared, and I was terrified. ;__;
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #5033 on: May 06, 2015, 08:26:06 PM »
Speaking of weird fears, well, how about being afraid of... cows? Not that I freak out whenever I see a distant cow or a picture of it. In fact, I even think that they can be adorable creatures. But whenever I meet a cow in real life, I'm just afraid to pass by it. They're huge and their mooing is very intimidating :P I don't have many strange fears, just several types of fast-running insects and cows, as it turned out this autumn.
On the other hand, I'm not afraid of thunder. I love the sound of thunder - especially when I know for sure it's only a mere thunder. But our dog was so scared that he usually hid himself in the bathroom when it was storming outside. Sat there in the dark, shaking and panting, poor boy.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #5034 on: May 06, 2015, 08:32:37 PM »
And Curiosity just reminded me of my neighbor's dog, Ka-Koa (not sure if I spelled that right...), apparently Hawaiian for "the brave". Old boy is afraid of everything, but mostly the vacuum cleaner. And other dogs. Especially smaller ones. As well as most cats.
He started balding very young, and I think it's from stress...
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #5035 on: May 06, 2015, 08:34:43 PM »
Speaking of weird fears, well, how about being afraid of... cows? Not that I freak out whenever I see a distant cow or a picture of it. In fact, I even think that they can be adorable creatures. But whenever I meet a cow in real life, I'm just afraid to pass by it. They're huge and their mooing is very intimidating :P I don't have many strange fears, just several types of fast-running insects and cows, as it turned out this autumn.
I TOTALLY agree about the fast-running insects, but where I used to live, cows would jump the neighbor's fence and get into our yard all the time, so I kind of had to get used to them? They liked our grass much better and I always had to watch where I stepped or else I'd find my foot in a cow plop
Summary cows *are* terrifying they poop all over your yard
YEET

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #5036 on: May 06, 2015, 08:36:46 PM »
On the other hand, I'm not afraid of thunder. I love the sound of thunder - especially when I know for sure it's only a mere thunder. But our dog was so scared that he usually hid himself in the bathroom when it was storming outside. Sat there in the dark, shaking and panting, poor boy.

Oh, but cows are scary when they want to!!
A few months ago I visited a sítio (a small ranch) with some friends, and we decided to take a walk through the woods. When we were returning, a small cow gang was in the middle of the way, blocking the road. They were looking at us and mooing and... I thought they were going to attack us, it was a little frightening.

And I'm not scared of thunder myself, actually I really like it. There's nothing like getting to sleep on a stormy night. :)
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #5037 on: May 06, 2015, 09:01:59 PM »
And Curiosity just reminded me of my neighbor's dog, Ka-Koa (not sure if I spelled that right...), apparently Hawaiian for "the brave". Old boy is afraid of everything, but mostly the vacuum cleaner. And other dogs. Especially smaller ones. As well as most cats.
He started balding very young, and I think it's from stress...

Ah, poor creature indeed. Ironically, too, our dog was called Richard - as Richard the Lionheart. But for the sake of justice I have to admit that he would stand to the very last if one of his humans was attacked. Just his major fear of thunder and all explosion-like sound was his problem (and stealing tasty stuff that you've accidently left not on the table, but that's a different story).

I TOTALLY agree about the fast-running insects, but where I used to live, cows would jump the neighbor's fence and get into our yard all the time, so I kind of had to get used to them? They liked our grass much better and I always had to watch where I stepped or else I'd find my foot in a cow plop
Summary cows *are* terrifying they poop all over your yard

Well, being a city girl, I've hardly ever seen a cow this close. I've seen goats, and one especially bouncy black goatling had always been trying to use its horns on me, but hey, goats are smaller... and the sound they make is not nearly as intimidating as cows'.

Oh, but cows are scary when they want to!!
A few months ago I visited a sítio (a small ranch) with some friends, and we decided to take a walk through the woods. When we were returning, a small cow gang was in the middle of the way, blocking the road. They were looking at us and mooing and... I thought they were going to attack us, it was a little frightening.

Yes, when I stubled upon few cows while taking stroll in the fields this autumn, I really thought one of them would rush towards me with her sharp horns set out. The other one was just looking. Standing in the reed, head turned to me, staring. Judging  ;D
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #5038 on: May 06, 2015, 09:15:26 PM »
OH MAN okay, today. Has been a day. Let me tell you the saga.

The sellers and the lender finally stopped dragging their feet and set a date for us to sign the closing papers on our new house, and that day was today, immediately after work and no later because the seller is in a different time zone and the papers have to be notarized before the bank closes blah blah.

So I went about my day at work whilst trying not to freak out about how much money is involved in that, and came across a possible solution to a problem--details aren't important, just know that it has to do with SSL certificates and Google being a lying liar who lies--which has been affecting this website as well as a lot of others. So at the end of the workday I thought "hey, I'll go ahead and run the fix on the forum real quick before I go sign papers until my hand falls off." This is a procedure I do all the time, every day, no big deal.

So of course the fates chose that moment for the entire process to fail catastrophically in a way I've never seen before and break access to the forum completely. There was no reason why it should've happened right then, on our website, as opposed to any of the hundreds of others I do the same procedure on any given week, but it did. I spent the last few minutes of my shift frantically running around trying to find someone to bribe to fix it for me so I could leave, but this also happened to be the day when they scheduled Every Meeting Ever and everybody was gone. Because the Laws of Narrative Comedy require that I end today bald, having pulled all my hair out along the way. Finally I found one of my drinking buddies and promised him good karma and all the monopoly money I could drown him in if he'd just get it working as soon as he wasn't completely swamped from covering for everybody who was gone at the meetings, and because he is good-natured to a fault and we supply him with beer, he agreed.

It was, apparently, a truly epic battle, but I don't know the details. I just know that by the time I finished signing myself and Wyrd into hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt--and a home that we love--the site was back. So if you noticed the site was down earlier and wondered why, now you know. And you also know where all my hair went. D:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #5039 on: May 07, 2015, 01:59:02 AM »
Hushpiper: not sure if i understood exactly what happened but..... *pats reassuringly*?

On cows: I'm not directly scared of them, but this one time we were visiting my family up north who live at the farm where we used to live until I was 4, and I went with them into the barn, and tHEY FORGOT ME. THEY WENT OUT AND LOCKED THE DOOR AND LEFT TEENY TINY CHILD ME IN A DARK BARN FULL OF OMINOUSLY MOOING COWS
they probably remembered me like two minutes after but it felt like eternity

oh and my biggest fear as a kid, before werewolves, was trolls. i believed in trolls, had nightmares about trolls, thought the world was secretly just an aquarium belonging to humongous trolls.............. trolls

as for Real Life Update: the sun is shining, it's not even 8am and i'm up and awake (nor sure how many hours i slept but the answer is most probably 'Not Enough') and should honestly not be on the forum because i need to get dressed and fed and on my way to the bus stop ASAP. I've got a ~*Guidance Session*~ with one of our professors so i can discuss why i couldnt fix my essay and just stared at it for 5 hours and then just sent it in again with only a few words changed..... i have a gOOD FEELING ABOUT TODAY so maybe i won't even start crying!
you'll know where to find me.