Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409937 times)

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4980 on: May 05, 2015, 10:38:02 PM »
The obvious answer is an AU where trolls are weak to great art :D
This forum would probably be some sort of last bastion against the tides of gooshy yumminess evil.

In other news, spring finally hit! Temperatures are above 50 F! There's birds again! *cheek-smooshes in happiness* FLOWERS!

Well, it was spring here. Around one this afternoon the temperature and it started raining and hailing really hard. About an hour later it started thundering and lightninging. One thunder boom was so loud it sounded like someone had dropped about three dumpsters on the roof of the portable I was in. I thought this was fall kind of weather? (Unless I'm confused and have fall and spring mixed up. The only real difference between those is I have mild seasonal allergies during one.)
In other news, I'm still nonsensical sleep deprived, but since I won't be able to start my homework until 9:30, who knows when I'll get to bed.

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4981 on: May 05, 2015, 10:56:48 PM »
Well, it was spring here. Around one this afternoon the temperature and it started raining and hailing really hard. About an hour later it started thundering and lightninging. One thunder boom was so loud it sounded like someone had dropped about three dumpsters on the roof of the portable I was in. I thought this was fall kind of weather? (Unless I'm confused and have fall and spring mixed up. The only real difference between those is I have mild seasonal allergies during one.)
In other news, I'm still nonsensical sleep deprived, but since I won't be able to start my homework until 9:30, who knows when I'll get to bed.
...Wait, Stellers, where do you live? It did that here (North Seattle)too, though not as much so.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #4982 on: May 05, 2015, 11:06:25 PM »
Bit outta the blue, but I'm just gonna leave this here. Reminds me of SSSS, somehow...
(Of course, what doesn't these days?)

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/05/simon-stalenhag-retro-sci-fi/
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #4983 on: May 05, 2015, 11:09:00 PM »
...Wait, Stellers, where do you live? It did that here (North Seattle)too, though not as much so.

Yup, Snohomish-Everett-Mill Creek-Monroe area. (I don't really live in a specific, town, see, but kind of between a bunch of them.)

That thunder, though. It was so loud; I just about shrunk under my desk. All the other students were going "YEEEES!!!" while I was going "no. please."

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #4984 on: May 05, 2015, 11:14:03 PM »
Bit outta the blue, but I'm just gonna leave this here. Reminds me of SSSS, somehow...

Thats a huge coincidence! Because I saw this stuff too and thought "Yesssss Swedish SciFi" and emailed it to my art school buddy XD
It's so awesome o__o
I also sent them this: http://www.baxterphoto.com/index.php#mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=0&p=1&a=0&at=0 because the Project Astoria stuff was right down their alley (they're really into retro scifi)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:16:27 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #4985 on: May 05, 2015, 11:27:21 PM »
I didn't know it was meant to be dystopian.

I found his gallery a few months ago and I enjoyed the gaps and non-homogenous application of technology. I like the idea of a future with lots of old things still around but with high-tech stuff around.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Viisikielinenkantele

• Scout
  • Sometimes creative
« Reply #4986 on: May 06, 2015, 04:22:11 AM »
It was summer yesterday (30°C) here, now it's back to spring (15°C, raining). Everybody was in a weird mood yesterday until in the evening a thunderstorm broke loose and everything went back to normal. I really hope it stays this way for a while...
Native: :germany:
Mostly fluent: :uk: / :usa:
Rusty: :finland:
almost forgotten: :italy:, :estonia:, :vaticancity:
learning: :sweden:

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." (Florence Foster Jenkins)

:chap5: :chap6:  :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
« Reply #4987 on: May 06, 2015, 06:57:06 AM »
Rain...Rain everywhere...Where I live right now is constant rain, it goes from lightly pissing you to heavy downpour. It is like rain has decided Wales needs to be turned into an ocean...I live in an attic room, so the rain rattles the rood windows and it is admittedly somewhat soothing. Nothing better than reading a book with a cup of tea while it's raining. *becomes a blanket burrito*

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #4988 on: May 06, 2015, 08:54:47 AM »
We're wednesday, school's vacations are over : sport start again this evening ! :D Tatamis, I missed you !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4989 on: May 06, 2015, 10:56:19 AM »

Really not getting a dystopian vibe from those images.  Futuristic and very cool, yes, but not dystopian.

Rain...Rain everywhere...Where I live right now is constant rain, it goes from lightly pissing you to heavy downpour. It is like rain has decided Wales needs to be turned into an ocean...

You should be used to that by now, it is what life in Wales is all about.  Visitors say it is raining heavily, while you find it to be a rather pleasant day.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #4990 on: May 06, 2015, 11:12:40 AM »
Really not getting a dystopian vibe from those images.  Futuristic and very cool, yes, but not dystopian.

It's Colossal's description of 'dystopian', and I agree that I can't quite see it most of the time - until you notice on his main website, the looters, the civilian battle mechs, the underground bunkers...

Meanwhile, it's actually raining here. Living in a desert, that doesn't happen too often (though I think it happens every spring and fall, which surprises everyone anyways). Temperatures seem to be hovering around the mid-50s F (10ish C), which is a pleasant temperature. I'm loving it :P
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
« Reply #4991 on: May 06, 2015, 11:56:07 AM »

Temperatures seem to be hovering around the mid-50s F (10ish C), which is a pleasant temperature. I'm loving it :P

. . .I have lived in a place where temperatures dropped to -30 C and even then for some reason temperatures around 10 C felt a lot colder...

You should be used to that by now, it is what life in Wales is all about.  Visitors say it is raining heavily, while you find it to be a rather pleasant day.
Yeah well you British people really don't know the meaning of heavy rain.no offence here In the UK rain is sort of this awkward thing that thinks that by raining softly, creating a wet mist that will get into places you didn't even know could get wet, would cause less stress to the unfortunate populus. Meanwhile, in the normal parts of the old continent rain comes, opens the gates of Heaven, drowns everything in its wake for about 2-3 hours, destroying a few things and then it is gone for a a week or two... Also Thunder and Lightning seem to not exist in Britain at all....THIS IS COMPLETE HERESY!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4992 on: May 06, 2015, 12:31:50 PM »
Iceland doesn't really get thunder either, which is nice because I'm afraid of it. :)

Today we're having perfect "window weather" (gluggaveður). Not sure if English has a word for it, the kind of weather that looks absolutely lovely but turns out to be miserably cold if you go out. Sunny, bright, summer-like and... freezing. I went grocery shopping and got so disappointed and angry at the weather on the way that I made lemonade when I came home, don't judge my methods of coping please. :P
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Daéa Reina

• Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #4993 on: May 06, 2015, 12:44:06 PM »
We're in the beginning of autumn here where I live. It's starting to get cold, and I love it. :)
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4994 on: May 06, 2015, 12:45:27 PM »
I love thunderstorms a lot, but they don't frequent these parts a lot, either....... except this one time, I was joking around with my friend and he kept going on about having to "sacrifice my feet to Thor" - there's no context that will make this seem reasonable - and before he got the chance to do that, it started raining and thundering and we got absolutely soaked on our way home and it was fantastic

there's usually thunderstorms going on in czech when we visit in summer, and my grandparents live on the 5th floor so the view of the thunderstorm theatre is pretty great.

as far as weather goes, today is absolutely awful, it's just grey - no wind, no sun, no rain, nothing, it's making me feel all empty and useless and I don't feel like doing anything at all. SIGHS
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:54:45 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.