Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387727 times)

Blackjazz

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • ~Je suis Le Chapeau~
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4755 on: April 28, 2015, 07:35:43 PM »
AHEM. I'll have you know Iceland holds the silver in world record of cars per capita. And quite the contrary we barely have any roads, we have like... one road, it's called Road 1 and it goes around the whole country, at least for the time that storms don't literally rip it off the ground or floods don't wash it out to sea. :P

Besides lynching will start to sound like a wonderful option when your daily parking reality is this.
You make Iceland sound like such a fun place. xD

So, I was looking up a map yesterday, and I found out that I'm really close to a city named Townsville. 

For those of you who might not know:
Spoiler: Lots of stuff happens there • show
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYTqkCMZBf4[/youtube][/spoiler]
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*is way more excited than she would like to admit*
Native: :usa:.
Lots :france:  :mexico:  Little :italy: Learning :southkorea:
On the list: everything
:chap6: :chap7:
Enjoy yourself; it is later than you think.

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #4756 on: April 28, 2015, 09:03:48 PM »
Hah! I got my new glasses today. Finally! (After all the other ones broke and I had to use an old prescription)

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #4757 on: April 28, 2015, 10:05:46 PM »
8)
yay \o/
you can now see life in high resolution again!
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #4758 on: April 29, 2015, 03:34:12 AM »
Congrats on the new glasses! Enjoy the world, as it was meant to be seen :P

Hmm, let's talk group projects! While I don't mind that I usually do most of the work, there are some people who play while me and a couple others work, and I don't like that. I don't want to tell a teacher, because that would be meeeaaaan, but I also can't just stand there and pretend I didn't do most of the work while others fooled around. I don't know what to doooo!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #4759 on: April 29, 2015, 03:42:37 AM »
Hmm, let's talk group projects! While I don't mind that I usually do most of the work, there are some people who play while me and a couple others work, and I don't like that. I don't want to tell a teacher, because that would be meeeaaaan, but I also can't just stand there and pretend I didn't do most of the work while others fooled around. I don't know what to doooo!

Ahww, I hate it when that happen :c I'm assuming you've already tried to remind them that this is a group project and everyone should help? Because if they still refuse to work on it, then telling the teacher isn't mean at all. As an alternative, if you don't want to be "that person who told the teacher", maybe after the project is done you could discreetly talk to your teacher about it and tell them you did way more than your share of the work?

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4760 on: April 29, 2015, 03:46:23 AM »
You make Iceland sound like such a fun place. xD

Well the thing I can say for Iceland is that it's not boring. The storms are harsh enough to peel asphalt off the roads, and when you get a glacier flood it washes away absolutely everything. It's a good idea to listen to what the locals say and if they tell you to not go do thing X because Z will happen, trust them. Two months or so ago several tourists got their cars pelted by huge rocks flying in a storm because they didn't listen to people telling them the snow storm was too bad to drive in, and got their car windows smashed in. One unlucky tourist panicked early on and turned around to return to the previous village, only to have the windows on the other side of the car smashed as well.

And don't let me start on the Finnish morons on Vatnajökull. One of them got ill so the voluntary rescue units went to get him back and told the two remaining ones there was a glacier storm on the way and that they'd give them all a ride back... but no, said the Finns, they planned to dig themselves into the snow if a storm would happen. Which by the way is a good choice in a snow storm in Finland but in a glacier storm you aren't digging anything. The rescue unit guys tried for a while but the Finns were adamant - this was on the radio on the same day so the whole country pretty much knew there'd soon be two Finnish tourists in trouble, hopefully not dead.

True enough they called for help when the storm struck and they found out a snow storm in Iceland is not the same as one in Finland, and the rescuers (let me stress again they're voluntary units, they don't get paid a penny for this) had to go after them on a Friday evening and head into a snow storm. Probably not the way they wanted to spend their Friday evenings but on the other hand they were likely prepared for it already.

The Finns were found, saved, and all was well, except it really fired up the discussion again on whether it's fair that the rescuers are sent after people who deliberately put themselves into danger and ignore warnings and a) the rescuers don't get paid for it although b) they buy/use their own equipment, gas etc. and c) the people being rescued don't have to pay anything. I'm only hoping they'll come up with some kind of a fining system for situations where someone has clearly been warned but decided to go do something stupid anyway.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #4761 on: April 29, 2015, 03:55:25 AM »
Ahww, I hate it when that happen :c I'm assuming you've already tried to remind them that this is a group project and everyone should help? Because if they still refuse to work on it, then telling the teacher isn't mean at all.

As an alternative, if you don't want to be "that person who told the teacher", maybe after the project is done you could discreetly talk to your teacher about it and tell them you did way more than your share of the work?

Or could you be Machiavellian and "volunteer" them to do the project's oral presentation or some other undesirable and inescapable part? 

Or maybe go Reynir on them.  As they're hanging out *not* at the project desk, mirror their behavior.  Wander over and "innocently" chat them up.  "Hey Carlo, what'cha doing?  Is that Clash of Clans you're playing?  Can I try?  Wow, you must really have finished your part of the project quickly to have so much spare time.  I wish I could work that fast..." etc.  Eventually, you might either guilt-trip or bore them into going back to the group!   ;)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4762 on: April 29, 2015, 03:56:22 AM »
glacier flood ... huge rocks flying in a storm because ... the snow storm was too bad to drive in ... glacier storm
*crosses Iceland off of places to move to*
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4763 on: April 29, 2015, 04:03:32 AM »
Or could you be Machiavellian and "volunteer" them to do the project's oral presentation or some other undesirable and inescapable part? 

Or maybe go Reynir on them.  As they're hanging out *not* at the project desk, mirror their behavior.  Wander over and "innocently" chat them up.  "Hey Carlo, what'cha doing?  Is that Clash of Clans you're playing?  Can I try?  Wow, you must really have finished your part of the project quickly to have so much spare time.  I wish I could work that fast..." etc.  Eventually, you might either guilt-trip or bore them into going back to the group!   ;)

Ooooh, sneaky! I like it
(If it was me I would've never been able to do that, though. Making other people feel guilty makes me feel guilty cx)

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4764 on: April 29, 2015, 04:15:05 AM »
Nimphy: augh, I hope you get it fixed somehow. my group project days are over now (i think), but I was veery often in the same situation. People would talk behind my back about what a nerd I am and how I didnt deserve the grades I got or whatever, but the moment I got put on the same group as them for a project, they'd cheer. VERY TRANSPARENT

Laufey: on one hand I really want to move to iceland and on the other hand I really don't, heh. What an amazing place

today is last lecture day?? Which means I'll have three weeks to try reading for exams but I have the WORST reading habits, I have no idea how to student... I should also probably spend time trying to get a summer job and other Responsible Things. So if you notice a sudden influx of fanart and poems and whatever that's exactly why hahahhahaha
you'll know where to find me.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4765 on: April 29, 2015, 04:18:43 AM »
today is last lecture day?? Which means I'll have three weeks to try reading for exams but I have the WORST reading habits, I have no idea how to student... I should also probably spend time trying to get a summer job and other Responsible Things. So if you notice a sudden influx of fanart and poems and whatever that's exactly why hahahhahaha

I can relate. I literally have the worst study habits ever :/ Exams are awful, and you have my sympathies.

Also, we're going through that time of the year at school where we have lots of tests and group projects and homework all at the same time, so there isn't much fan art coming from me lately
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:48:11 AM by Sigrid Marie »

wildfire

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Cleanser of worlds
« Reply #4766 on: April 29, 2015, 04:40:34 AM »
(...)

I am so nervous right now, I have one exam per week in May, so I only have one week after getting finished with one exam before I can read for the next exam. Fortunately the second exam is a practical exam, so NOT MUCH READING, but I have to go there and be like SO I MADE THIS TEACHING SEQUENCE AND I HOPE U GUYS LIKE IT HAHAAHahahahahahAHAHAahaha..

Also the first exam(next week) is going to kill me, I honestly believe that exam exists only to make me want to die..

Also yay for possible sudden influx of fanart and poems and whatever <3
• :norway: :usa: :uk: :denmark: :sweden: :germany: •

And in the light of the sun we go, through rain and raging snow, to find the things we do not know

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
« Reply #4767 on: April 29, 2015, 05:11:07 AM »
Ah yes, productivity during exams...It is the best trolling of our minds. It is always so frustrating when you have coursework, exams etc and suddenly you have this urge to create stuff -art, writing and so on. Oddly enough these are the exact times a lot of people come up with some of their best ideas. Hurray for stress being a muse in disguise. 

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #4768 on: April 29, 2015, 08:41:20 AM »
HAHAHA productivity?? What's that??
I have 2 exams next week and then one the week after that and then I have to take all those exams again plus four more at the end of the year, in June. I haven't studied... at all. //crying
YEET

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4769 on: April 29, 2015, 09:37:29 AM »
But MAN do they make me look shorter though XD Oh the terrible magic of camera angles I guess...
Spoiler: show
I gained like 10 kilos in that second photo X'''D SERIOUSLY HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN
old boots :I  --------- new boots :T

Huh, is it because the boots are of different lengths?

Well the thing I can say for Iceland is that it's not boring. The storms are harsh enough to peel asphalt off the roads, and when you get a glacier flood it washes away absolutely everything. It's a good idea to listen to what the locals say and if they tell you to not go do thing X because Z will happen, trust them. Two months or so ago several tourists got their cars pelted by huge rocks flying in a storm

Sounds exciting.
As for the Finnish tourists... Well, if I were a rescuer I would rescue them regardless of their obvious stupidity. Just leaving someone to possible death just doesn't sit right. I think they should be fined though for causing an avoidable emergency.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:37:03 AM by Fimbulwaffle »