Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2388015 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4110 on: March 26, 2015, 08:23:30 PM »
Yay, just spent a bunch of time drawing deer skeletons instead of studying chemistry like I really should be doing. I'm so good at time management and all...
SKELETONS! I have doodled so many random skeletons in my margins: dancing, derpy, bizarre ones mostly, with hats. Because skeletons need hats.
And yup, I too am still struggling with time management. Always have been, I remember having to make a personalized poster about time management in primary school >_> It got me at an early age >_>

By every god there is, I'm a horrible moron.

I'm working on a huge cosplay project, which includes armour. Said armour is precision work with the gluing parts, I have to position everything right on pretty much the first try (or the second, but then the seam might already tear or stretch out of shape).

So I have everything ready, two thigh armour plates pressed together and I'm holding them in place by the ends of the seams and suddenly the middle part pops open a bit. I can't let go of the ends at this point so what do I do? I. Chomp. Down. On. It. Effectively gluing the piece to my mouth. -.-

Luckily I managed to tear it off without too much damage to my lips, and though they hurt a bit it's still better than having to go to the doctor and be like

Doctor: "What on earth did you do?"

Me: "Mrrrph."

MORAL OF THE STORY: kids, don't bite anything with super glue on it.
Oh no! Sounds like you got out of that one by the skin of your...teeth lips!
I've gotten myself glued to things before, mostly mum's tiny ornament/figurines, (*Owl makes hospital machinery beeps while gluing a glass cat's head back on*..."the surgery was a success doctor Owl!" *realises cat is stuck to hand* "Dr Owl!!" "Yes Nurse Owl?!" "There's a giant foreign body attached! We've created a monster!" *Owl looks into imaginary camera Office-style*) but once I got my hand stuck inside a knee-high boot when I was gluing the inner sole back in place....oh boy, I thought I was going to have a boot stuck to me forever (kid at 90's sleepover: "let me tell you the tale...*holds torch under chin* of the girl they call...BOOT HAND!" *children scream*) but I pulled my hand out with minimal damage and psychological trauma. Hahaha.
O_o

Well, I'm off to the doctor's this morning- not the usual doctor but the town's other doctor, who I've only seen once when he taped my stitches back together saying "You slept on this wrong." And left. Heeeegh. Hopefully he's in a better mood? XP
Also! Because I'm not well, I couldn't do my presentation this morning, and I was fully expecting for the art teacher to auto-fail me, but he's actually letting me present next week with the other sick kids! Whoo! (Now I really should /finish/ the presentation, but I'm afraid I've done it about the wrong thing -___-)
So today will be "get up to date on work already" day.

I'm still not sure if it would be a good idea for me to go on a plane tomorrow (inaugural family day trip?! O_o) and infect the entire mainland with my cold ;P
I haven't been on a plane in nearly ten whole years. I used to LOVE flying, but now....I suddenly don't and I'm not sure why. So I guess I'll be channeling a mix of Lalli-boards-the-Dalahästen, Lalli-aboard-the-ferry, and then Lalli-in-Mora, with Onni overtones. U_U
Buuut hopefully I can turn that Onni mood around into a Tuuri mood and actually enjoy the city and the fancy shops my sister wants to show me. (Although if I have to get on a tram or any public transport- which is inevitable- I know I'm going to revert into complete Lalli-mode agh)

One last thing, and probably the most random: North and South Carolina have been haunting me lately?! They're popping up on tv, in dad's agricultural machinery videos, in lectures etc. HeLP. (Eich ask them to staaaaahp it's too weird! But hilarious X'D)

Gameshow quiz question: have you ever been haunted by a place, object or concept through uncanny coincidence?
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #4111 on: March 26, 2015, 09:23:57 PM »
*bad time management high-five whilst simultaneously not doing projects*

(also, I loved that cat-operation-description)

One last thing, and probably the most random: North and South Carolina have been haunting me lately?! They're popping up on tv, in dad's agricultural machinery videos, in lectures etc. HeLP. (Eich ask them to staaaaahp it's too weird! But hilarious X'D)

Gameshow quiz question: have you ever been haunted by a place, object or concept through uncanny coincidence?

Uhhhhh...place? Norway, though that might not be so much of a coincidence as me just noticing things more, since, you know, SSSS and language learning. Classmates who lived in Norway, Norwegian design studios, Norwegian websites showing up in feeds, hardanger, vacation discussions, history lessons...

I guess the Google-data-mining ads don't count, though.

MORAL OF THE STORY: kids, don't bite anything with super glue on it.

Yeah...me and glue do not get along well together, even if it is incredibly useful.

"Ugh, glue, why won't you properly cover the (book) spine!?"

*tries using paper spreader thing*

*gives up, uses fingers*

*fingers covered in glue for days afterwards AND glue all over table/textbooks used as press/everywhere it shouldn't be*
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:29:27 PM by mithrysc »

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #4112 on: March 26, 2015, 10:02:58 PM »
*bad time management high-five whilst simultaneously not doing projects*

(also, I loved that cat-operation-description)

Uhhhhh...place? Norway, though that might not be so much of a coincidence as me just noticing things more, since, you know, SSSS and language learning. Classmates who lived in Norway, Norwegian design studios, Norwegian websites showing up in feeds, hardanger, vacation discussions, history lessons...

I guess the Google-data-mining ads don't count, though.

Yeah...me and glue do not get along well together, even if it is incredibly useful.

"Ugh, glue, why won't you properly cover the (book) spine!?"

*tries using paper spreader thing*

*gives up, uses fingers*

*fingers covered in glue for days afterwards AND glue all over table/textbooks used as press/everywhere it shouldn't be*
All my google-data-mining ads are about sewing, fashion and cats X'I hehe

Oh man, I kinda know how you feel with the book thing! My last design project had me making a tiny A5 fabric-covered book that was made out of scraps of cardboard and green cloth (because I am a poor art student, and also decided to make the book the night before it was due <_<) and I was gluing it together in my room with PVA glue, and I did not realise just how... ugh... fume-y the glue was until I finished and opened my door to go get a midnight cup of tea, stepping out into the non-glue-scented air of the hallway O_O I spent like a full minute just standing there blinking weirdly.
The assignment before that one had me coating a folder with PVA glue, paint and salt, then blowdrying it because it wouldn't dry (salt) and then scraping it all off and reapplying it minus the salt texture and blowdrying again and that was not a good smell :I
Lesson learnt: don't use noxious-smelling glues and paints in your bedroom before bed. >_>
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #4113 on: March 26, 2015, 11:00:04 PM »

Oh man, I kinda know how you feel with the book thing! My last design project had me making a tiny A5 fabric-covered book that was made out of scraps of cardboard and green cloth (because I am a poor art student, and also decided to make the book the night before it was due <_<) and I was gluing it together in my room with PVA glue, and I did not realise just how... ugh... fume-y the glue was until I finished and opened my door to go get a midnight cup of tea, stepping out into the non-glue-scented air of the hallway O_O I spent like a full minute just standing there blinking weirdly.
The assignment before that one had me coating a folder with PVA glue, paint and salt, then blowdrying it because it wouldn't dry (salt) and then scraping it all off and reapplying it minus the salt texture and blowdrying again and that was not a good smell :I
Lesson learnt: don't use noxious-smelling glues and paints in your bedroom before bed. >_>
reminds me of my highscool Principals of engineering class. Epoxy resin and twelve students all in a small work space, yeah we all had the munchies afterwards if you get what I mean. It didn't help that the stuff kinda smelled like melted peanut butter. . .
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #4114 on: March 26, 2015, 11:01:51 PM »

Kinda off topic, but all my Google-ads are about drawing pads, gardening, and Mein Kampf. I seriously have no idea.
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4115 on: March 27, 2015, 04:06:18 AM »
hhhhhhhhhhhh this reminds me I still haven't finished working on my Authentic Viking Shoes
I mean, I've sewn the parts together but I will have to invert them......... it's been a year and I'm still not mentally prepared for that

I know that feeling... I only have a billionmillion projects sitting in storage waiting for me to pull my socks up and do something. But it feels so daunting when they've been there for so long, what if I make a mistake, do I even know what I'm doing etc. etc. etc.

On the bright side once you get to work you usually realize it wasn't that bad after all and all goes well. :)

Oh no! Sounds like you got out of that one by the skin of your...teeth lips!

I see what you did there. I usually just spread glue on myself by accident and then touch something that sticks on me forever. Like dirt. Or flour.

I hope you get better soon!

Kinda off topic, but all my Google-ads are about drawing pads, gardening, and Mein Kampf. I seriously have no idea.

According to Google your internet life is interesting. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4116 on: March 27, 2015, 10:18:48 AM »
On the bright side once you get to work you usually realize it wasn't that bad after all and all goes well. :)
when we asked our Shoe Maker Instructor (just some dude from our historical archery club, really) how to best invert the shoes, he said "well FIRST you sacrifice a goat........."
so
my hopes for it being easy aren't high

also ugh why did I check the newspaper today, I'm taking a plane on monday and did not need to be anxious about this
(the haiz: anxious about everything ever except for thunder storms and performing on stage)

plus it's a tragedy and now i feel awful about being selfishly anxious instead of mourning like a normal person
you'll know where to find me.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4117 on: March 27, 2015, 10:41:01 AM »
Well if it is any comfort, given the rarity of events like this, isn't just after one happening the safest time to fly?

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4118 on: March 27, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
Well if it is any comfort, given the rarity of events like this, isn't just after one happening the safest time to fly?
yeah that's what I'm trying to tell myself, too. I'm just. SIGHS. all this anxiety fuel

edit: sorry for bleak conversation feel free to ignore
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:55:44 AM by Haiz »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4119 on: March 27, 2015, 11:02:12 AM »
also ugh why did I check the newspaper today, I'm taking a plane on monday and did not need to be anxious about this
(the haiz: anxious about everything ever except for thunder storms and performing on stage)

plus it's a tragedy and now i feel awful about being selfishly anxious instead of mourning like a normal person
I've never had any issues with flying given that things like these happen so rarely. I mean, anything can kill you at any time, even taking the bus or eating a sandwich. The sooner you reconcile yourself with that fact the sooner you stop worrying about the inherent dangers of what you're doing.

Or maybe that's just a recipe for even more worrying/fatalism.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4120 on: March 27, 2015, 11:11:08 AM »
Nah, I agree with you Fim.  The fact of the matter at the end of the day is that planes have a very low fatality rate for travellers.  It is because it happens so rarely and that when it does happen it is so many people in one go that it grabs people's attention.  Imagine if every car crash was reported, there would be no time to report anything else.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4121 on: March 27, 2015, 11:15:28 AM »
I've never had any issues with flying given that things like these happen so rarely. I mean, anything can kill you at any time, even taking the bus or eating a sandwich. The sooner you reconcile yourself with that fact the sooner you stop worrying about the inherent dangers of what you're doing.

Or maybe that's just a recipe for even more worrying/fatalism.
hahaha ha ha hahahaha ha guess what type of person I am
(guess who's 20 years old and doesn't have their driver's license yet)
((no but seriously though. I am all too aware of my own mortality all the time. it's kind of a problem.))

It's a kind of a shame, really, because I've been a lot of plane trips and generally enjoy them actually, but I also have problems with intrusive thoughts and I know it's gonna bother me the whole flight.

ON A LESS DEPRESSING NOTE i'm going to wales with my family for easter!!!

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #4122 on: March 27, 2015, 11:24:32 AM »

Well, the odds are like...1 in a million even for airlines with the worst records.

Okay, statistics don't really comfort me either, but for me going through the wonderful U.S. airport security is more stressful than actually flying. Being on a plane itself is just sort of...boring, because I have motion sickness and can't do anything except look out the window, and the weather isn't always conducive to that.

But anyway, Wales! Yay!

Sort of like mine, though with added things like "notebooks" and "embroidery." And my fashion sense is... well, my closet has been gradually shrinking and pretty soon I'll just own plain blue and grey shirts and black pants. (if I had the money to spare, this hoodie would probably be the only exception to what I prefer wearing)

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4123 on: March 27, 2015, 11:29:21 AM »
hahaha ha ha hahahaha ha guess what type of person I am
(guess who's 20 years old and doesn't have their driver's license yet)
((no but seriously though. I am all too aware of my own mortality all the time. it's kind of a problem.))

It's a kind of a shame, really, because I've been a lot of plane trips and generally enjoy them actually, but I also have problems with intrusive thoughts and I know it's gonna bother me the whole flight.

ON A LESS DEPRESSING NOTE i'm going to wales with my family for easter!!!

Well, dying is kind of an inconvenience. That being said, it's no good being crippled by fear when the likeliness of dying isn't blatanly obvious.

I wouldn't mind going to Wales again at some point. I just want to go somewhere drier to be honest.

Being on a plane itself is just sort of...boring, because I have motion sickness and can't do anything except look out the window, and the weather isn't always conducive to that.
And uncomfortable. Passenger planes weren't designed for people with long legs.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:31:05 AM by Fimbulvarg »

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #4124 on: March 27, 2015, 11:33:50 AM »
And uncomfortable. Passenger planes weren't designed for people with long legs.

Luckily for me I am exceedingly small. Getting luggage overhead is a different matter, though...