Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409200 times)

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3600 on: February 20, 2015, 02:00:31 PM »

Look at this fine self portrait

Ah, cute :D Couldn't you recall how old you were then? For a reason I have a feeling that you've learned to draw even before you've learned to walk  :o
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3601 on: February 20, 2015, 03:02:49 PM »
Ah, cute :D Couldn't you recall how old you were then? For a reason I have a feeling that you've learned to draw even before you've learned to walk  :o

You really thought that? I know most people who are good at drawing have been doing so their whole life, but I actually didn't start until 8th grade. Anyway, I believe this particular masterpiece was made in 1st grade. It's the first page in a self-made booklet titled "vårboka mi" (my spring book) that I made at school.

Childhood art is the best. I've got stacks of it and it only serves to reinforce the impression that I was never quite sane.

Seems like I drew... a lot of rabbits :I And for some reason I really liked drawing grown-ups carrying children on their shoulder, except I somehow managed to make it look like the child was either a hat or an extra head

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #3602 on: February 20, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »
You really thought that? I know most people who are good at drawing have been doing so their whole life, but I actually didn't start until 8th grade. Anyway, I believe this particular masterpiece was made in 1st grade. It's the first page in a self-made booklet titled "vårboka mi" (my spring book) that I made at school.

Um, yes, I really did. Maybe not in that early age, but your art gives an impression that you've been doing it since you can barely remember. Now I'm surprised that my guess was wrong.

Okay, now my head is stuffed with memories of our kindergarten chef d'oeuvres
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3603 on: February 20, 2015, 03:19:35 PM »
HAHAHA

I found some really old stuff, and omg I'm dying here

Because:

Look at this fine self portrait

Haha, actually not bad for a child. :) If I were back at home I'd upload one of mine, I have infinite piles of childhood art. I for one have been drawing since forever, but I never took it too seriously until, like, seventh grade.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3604 on: February 20, 2015, 04:37:44 PM »
Um, yes, I really did. Maybe not in that early age, but your art gives an impression that you've been doing it since you can barely remember. Now I'm surprised that my guess was wrong.

Hehe, that sounds like a compliment :3 Thaaaanks

Haha, actually not bad for a child. :) If I were back at home I'd upload one of mine, I have infinite piles of childhood art. I for one have been drawing since forever, but I never took it too seriously until, like, seventh grade.

Well, it's not like I didn't draw at all, but I didn't do it as a hobby until halfway through 8th grade. That's... four years ago? My best friend asked me to enroll in an arts course with her, and that's when I started actually learning how to draw and paint properly. The funny thing is that before that I hadn't even been slightly interested in making art cx

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3605 on: February 20, 2015, 04:50:06 PM »
Well, it's not like I didn't draw at all, but I didn't do it as a hobby until halfway through 8th grade. That's... four years ago? My best friend asked me to enroll in an arts course with her, and that's when I started actually learning how to draw and paint properly. The funny thing is that before that I hadn't even been slightly interested in making art cx

I always thought I was good at art and thought it was fun, but I don't remember myself including "artist" as a viable career option until mid-middle school. Careers I'd considered before I was twelve: veterinarian, architect, and marine biologist. To this day I have no idea where I got marine biologist from. After that I was just like "art is literally the only thing I can do", and it stuck. (and now I'm glad I discovered that cartooning existed as a major)

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #3606 on: February 20, 2015, 06:35:04 PM »
Mmm, I've been drawing ever since I can remember, also. Just... because. It's the thing I did. It also helped that I was naturally good at it, so many around me were always "Oh, you're so good, you're going to become an artist, aren't you?". If they didn't, I got better just to spite them... ahaha... I didn't actually consider being an artist as a viable career until I was in college, I think. (Careers I'd been considering before then were: dolphin trainer, horse trainer, farmer, editor, translator... I don't even know. Nothing very serious. Always been good at anything I was interested in, so not bothered.) When I discovered concept art (which I still think is one of the coolest things in the world), and that hey, you could actually become an artist without knowing the right people from the get-go (until that, I hadn't actually met any artists that weren't teachers or been shown how it is actually possible to market yourself). It really solidified when I discovered Minna and saw that she quite literally created her whole career by herself.

As it is, though, I still don't want to be only an artist, forever. I want to travel, I want to teach English as a foreign language, I want to create video games, I want to learn more about IT, I want to study history, I want to write books, I want to compose music. Artist will forever be the main label I identify with, though.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #3607 on: February 20, 2015, 07:22:39 PM »
I'd say that i'm pretty hard to be defined by certain field or profession.
I have alvays been interested in very wide range of scientific and other subjects.

At school i used to be good at drawing cities and views and I wanted to be an architect.
During school years I also started serious level design hobby.
At high school age i still used to draw something at classes and wanted to become an engineer.
And now I'm at engineering university and I'm 'professional' indie game developer and very interested in macroeconomics and planning to start investing (once game makes some profit).
I get better along with many professors here than students :D

I don't want to follow one career path and I keep changing the path occasionally when i'll want to try&learn something new.
And it gets better, i know precisely what i'll 'want' and everything is more or less planned out.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 07:24:41 PM by Oskutin »

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3608 on: February 20, 2015, 07:52:46 PM »
I didn't really have any hobbies before 9th grade.  I was just a mindless, vagrant soul, drifting on my whims.  But then I picked up a guitar one day, and that's been one of the only things I've really stuck with consistently.  I had a very strong interest in physics for a long time, and planned on majoring in that, but I thought engineering would be better, because I wasn't smart enough for physics.  And... while engineering is all well and good, I've been considering dropping out of college and doing something different...
As it is, though, I still don't want to be only an artist, forever. I want to travel, I want to teach English as a foreign language, I want to create video games, I want to learn more about IT, I want to study history, I want to write books, I want to compose music. Artist will forever be the main label I identify with, though.
ALL OF THESE THIIIINGS!!!  (not really the history or ESL stuff, though. Ya have to know a second language to teach one.)  I haven't really stuck with art, unfortunately, but I've been wanting to buy a few books on music theory and history to start reading up on it.  I've always had an interest in music, and I think I'd really like to work with that some day.  As for video games... Well, that's the only thing I've really done my whole life, so my interest in that is rather strong, and I think I'd have a good head for making them.  If I can get through engineering school in one piece, I'll reap the rewards of that and get some good money before doing my own thing... whatever that may be... I just don't want to be an employee.
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3609 on: February 20, 2015, 08:00:48 PM »
I just don't want to be an employee.

^My feelings about jobs summed up in eight words. I'm pretty set on what I want to do, but I know it won't be easy to be self-sufficient...

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #3610 on: February 20, 2015, 08:10:37 PM »
Sooo, yesterday at the dentist I think they were playing a game of "let's see how much water we can spray on the patient." I didn't mind... but taking a shower at the dentist wasn't really what I had had in mind for my afternoon. This afternoon my brother went home with a friend. My dad had some problems figuring out which house said friend lives in. Earlier today I helped a friend and her brother carry a piano - okay, I was technically the door-opener. Of course, the piano was wrapped in bed-sheets and duck tape, so people we passed kept making jokes about dead bodies. We also passed two teachers; one teacher was explaining to the other one that the hallway smelled like candles because some kid had tried to light a bonfire in a trash can - useful information because we had been wondering about the smell, but seriously?!
Speaking of driving lessons, I'm going to have to take them soon and I am terrified at the thought. I am so irrationally scared of driving and I don't know why. Every time I think about sitting behind a steering wheel I get really freaked out and am unable to think about anything else. I'm um, gonna need to get over this. Fast.
Oh, and I agree with this completely.
Person: What do you want to do when you grow up?
Me: I don't know!!! Everything?

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #3611 on: February 20, 2015, 08:33:30 PM »
This must be the first community where i'm telling something more than very basic things about myself.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3612 on: February 20, 2015, 08:41:19 PM »
Speaking of driving lessons, I'm going to have to take them soon and I am terrified at the thought. I am so irrationally scared of driving and I don't know why. Every time I think about sitting behind a steering wheel I get really freaked out and am unable to think about anything else. I'm um, gonna need to get over this. Fast.

Fun fact: I got a learner's permit and took driver's ed the summer I turned 16, drove once like a week later (really slowly around my grandma's neighborhood), and haven't touched a steering wheel since for the same fears as you. Still not over it.

This must be the first community where i'm telling something more than very basic things about myself.

Ohh, definitely same here. Shows how much I like it here :D

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3613 on: February 20, 2015, 08:46:34 PM »

ALL OF THESE THIIIINGS!!!  (not really the history or ESL stuff, though. Ya have to know a second language to teach one.)  I haven't really stuck with art, unfortunately, but I've been wanting to buy a few books on music theory and history to start reading up on it.  I've always had an interest in music, and I think I'd really like to work with that some day.  As for video games... Well, that's the only thing I've really done my whole life, so my interest in that is rather strong, and I think I'd have a good head for making them.  If I can get through engineering school in one piece, I'll reap the rewards of that and get some good money before doing my own thing... whatever that may be... I just don't want to be an employee.

^My feelings about jobs summed up in eight words. I'm pretty set on what I want to do, but I know it won't be easy to be self-sufficient...

...are you all me? Because that basically sums up my thoughts on these matters pretty well (maybe minus the teaching English). My job ambitions in the long run are "work for myself and do lots of things." It's probably going to be a lot harder, but I think it'll be worth it.

I agree wholeheartedly. :)

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #3614 on: February 20, 2015, 08:56:56 PM »
I just don't want to be an employee.
Partially same.
I don't want to be employee in very restricted and bureaucratic company, ever.
Theres high chance that i will never be employee..