Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2569513 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3615 on: February 21, 2015, 12:25:03 AM »
Partially same.
I don't want to be employee in very restricted and bureaucratic company, ever.
Theres high chance that i will never be employee..
I'm fairly the same. But I'd like to at least have the experience of working somewhere else/different for once, even at a grocery store. But I think I'd have to move out/inherit the house before that ever happens. :/ I'm getting a bit tired of making the boss dinner and ironing his shirts and folding his underpants and letting him hug me all the time -___- If my possible future boss doesn't make me do that then it sounds like a pretty neat job! *is a downer today*

Also, EDIT: I sorta want to discuss/talk about something but I'm not sure if I should just whack it in General Discussion, or if it should be kept to PMing or not even on the forum?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:39:32 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #3616 on: February 21, 2015, 12:39:54 AM »
...are you all me? Because that basically sums up my thoughts on these matters pretty well (maybe minus the teaching English). My job ambitions in the long run are "work for myself and do lots of things." It's probably going to be a lot harder, but I think it'll be worth it.

Mmm, definitely harder, but also definitely worth it. I don't think I'm the sort that works well as an employee, either - unless I'm in total harmony on what we're working on. As a member of a project, I can do that. As an employee in some sort of thing that I agree wholeheartedly will be a good thing and something I actually have an interest in accomplishing, I can do that. As an employee where I am left to do my own thing, I can do that. As a short term thing which at most lasts 5 years, I can do that.

But it would have to be something where I do not have much to do with humans. I think I would have a breakdown of some sort if I were to work in fast food/retail/etc. ;;_;;
Am notified of private messages via email.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3617 on: February 21, 2015, 01:12:17 AM »
Also, EDIT: I sorta want to discuss/talk about something but I'm not sure if I should just whack it in General Discussion, or if it should be kept to PMing or not even on the forum?
Topic?  If not the forum, there's the chat, which has the nice bonus of being impermanent (aside from listeners' memories). 

Mmm, definitely harder, but also definitely worth it. I don't think I'm the sort that works well as an employee, either - unless I'm in total harmony on what we're working on. As a member of a project, I can do that. As an employee in some sort of thing that I agree wholeheartedly will be a good thing and something I actually have an interest in accomplishing, I can do that. As an employee where I am left to do my own thing, I can do that. As a short term thing which at most lasts 5 years, I can do that.

But it would have to be something where I do not have much to do with humans. I think I would have a breakdown of some sort if I were to work in fast food/retail/etc. ;;_;;
*Will never work at a restaurant ever*  That is how people die of stress.  My roommate pulled it off well, though, because he loves people.  He would sit down at the tables with the regulars, once he could recognize them, and have conversations with them.  And my friends have told me stories about working at a clothing store... little kids getting lost and peeing on the floor, obnoxious customers demanding discounts that don't exist...

But yeah.  Engineering is surprisingly full of people to interact with.  Much more than I thought there would be, at least.  Also, I don't care about the automotive industry nearly as much as I thought I did.  Once I finish my internship, I'm never going back to cars.  I've considered travelling around and doing engineering work in less developed countries.  Maybe making irrigation systems in Africa or something. 
... This is the first time I'm really voicing these thoughts.  Don't mind me, I'm just mulling things over.
Feel free to PM.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #3618 on: February 21, 2015, 09:00:16 AM »
Yesterday I got the official confirmation that my master thesis was accepted (I got 1,3 on a range from 1,0 to 4,0, so I'm quite happy), so now I have finished my studies! I still haven't realised it yet. It felt so good to be a student...  8)

But I'm also looking forward to my working life, although I don't know yet how it will look like. Currently, I have three options:
- junior researcher (the job interview was great, I'm waiting nervously for their decision)
- public relations assistant (job interview in 2 weeks)
- freelance journalist with a part-time job as assistant of a public relations manager (that's more or less what I'm already doing).
I like each of these options, although I'd prefer not to start my working life as freelancer because I want to have something steady first. It's a really exciting time for me. :)

I could never work as an artist - firstly because I lack any artistic talent, secondly because I have a big need for (financial and social) security. But I'm hoping I never have to work in a restaurant or a shop etc. either, because... people. Every day.  ;)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #3619 on: February 21, 2015, 09:37:23 AM »
I envy you, You have a really neat plan. My plan B is heating installations :P
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

asadderandawiserman

« Reply #3620 on: February 21, 2015, 10:00:10 AM »
I'm still in uni, and I really have no solid plans about what I want to do. I've been studying evolutionary biology, and thinking about trying to get into science media/journalism type things, since I think that would be interesting, but it's difficult to know where to start. I've got a while before I need to worry about it too much though.

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #3621 on: February 21, 2015, 03:38:26 PM »
750 dollars later an update on my truck.

Battery and alternator decided to die at roughly the same time.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Varjohaltia

« Reply #3622 on: February 21, 2015, 11:42:31 PM »
But yeah.  Engineering is surprisingly full of people to interact with.  Much more than I thought there would be, at least.  Also, I don't care about the automotive industry nearly as much as I thought I did.  Once I finish my internship, I'm never going back to cars.  I've considered travelling around and doing engineering work in less developed countries.  Maybe making irrigation systems in Africa or something. 
... This is the first time I'm really voicing these thoughts.  Don't mind me, I'm just mulling things over.

There are people everywhere, and even in engineering knowing how to deal with them is helpful. Currently I'm using having to deal with a non-technical manager as a "learning opportunity" but it's pretty challenging.

Before my current position I was trying rather hard to get into development aid or disaster relief, but unless you're willing to volunteer for free (and even so) breaking into the field is remarkably difficult. My thoughts were that I could do something actually worthwhile with my skills rather than help first world people deal with first world problems; personal fulfillment, meaning of life and that whole thing.
:finland: Fluent
:usa: Fluent
:germany: Understands
:sweden: Rudimentary
:japan: Horrible

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3623 on: February 22, 2015, 05:24:14 AM »
University starts tomorrow! :O

Pro: I only have one class tomorrow! 8D
Con: It goes for 3 hours, and the students are kinda intimidating with their passion for design. They're like an antagonistic anime sports team level of intense. But with design instead of sport and team spirit. o__o (It's final year so I don't blame them)

Pro: It starts at 10am, so I'll have time to have a cup of tea (technically stolen shhh) before I walk, and won't have to rush. Which means I can buy a sketchbook before class! :D
Con: I still have to get up at 6am, and if I had known that Thursday morning was going to be my last opportunity to sleep in past 6... my gosh... I would've taken it and slept all day. Ah, hindsight. -///-

Goal: Pay attention in class, don't suck, make friends.
Maybe.
(Bonus goals: drink tea, buy sketchbook, catch bus to main campus and buy Eng Lit textbook and do the homework for tomorrow's first class. Also don't cry but that shouldn't happen.... >_>)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:33:41 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #3624 on: February 22, 2015, 05:52:01 AM »

Con: It goes for 3 hours, and the students are kinda intimidating with their passion for design. They're like an antagonistic anime sports team level of intense. But with design instead of sport and team spirit. o__o (It's final year so I don't blame them)

Pro: It starts at 10am, so I'll have time to have a cup of tea (technically stolen shhh) before I walk, and won't have to rush. Which means I can buy a sketchbook before class! :D
Con: I still have to get up at 6am, and if I had known that Thursday morning was going to be my last opportunity to sleep in past 6... my gosh... I would've taken it and slept all day. Ah, hindsight. -///-

Maybe.
(Bonus goals: drink tea, buy sketchbook, catch bus to main campus and buy Eng Lit textbook and do the homework for tomorrow's first class. Also don't cry but that shouldn't happen.... >_>)

*shakes pom-poms* Go Owlie! You can do it! Good luck!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3625 on: February 22, 2015, 07:47:41 AM »

Maybe.

Eeee, good luck, Owl!!! I'm so excited for you! :D

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #3626 on: February 22, 2015, 11:25:20 AM »

You go Owl!
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3627 on: February 22, 2015, 02:04:49 PM »

Maybe.
Fire cracker, fire cracker, sss boom bah!
Origami, Origami, rah rah rah!
/bugs bunny

Paying attention in class and not sucking and making friends.  Sounds like some solid primary goals!  Good luck, Owl! 
Feel free to PM.

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3628 on: February 22, 2015, 02:39:47 PM »
Good luck my friend and don't die on the first day. Never good for your health  ;D

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3629 on: February 22, 2015, 04:10:39 PM »
Fire cracker, fire cracker, sss boom bah!
Origami, Origami, rah rah rah!
/bugs bunny

Paying attention in class and not sucking and making friends.  Sounds like some solid primary goals!  Good luck, Owl!

Remember, *we* all like you, and we don't have the advantage of seeing your smiling face IRL!

You're probably waking up Monday morning as I write (remember, you live in the future), so go get 'em!

- Sunflower
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: