Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387332 times)

dmeck7755

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #19470 on: November 22, 2023, 09:44:56 PM »
May your celebration be blessed.  (Ci-cinnamon pie? that sounds both yummy and lethal!)
Thank you very much.

The recipe I use is posted here (US measurements)
https://www.aspicyperspective.com/cinnamon-pie/

I have made this lots of times.  It is a winner.  I want to try this with cardamom.

It does have metric measures.  There is a little clicky thing above the recipe.  This recipe is great, because it does not have to be precise.
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19471 on: November 26, 2023, 03:11:52 AM »
Fortunately, I am bilingual in metric and imperial measures. 8)  Looks fascinating, and I had to read it again to verify that's there's nearly 1/4 cup of cinnamon in it! Holy moley!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #19472 on: November 26, 2023, 09:18:40 AM »
A seasonal delicacy, I’m sure. Not for the faint of liver :) But assuming it’s only eaten for the holidays so a couple of times a year it would be ok. Do you give this to small children?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

« Reply #19473 on: November 26, 2023, 04:04:44 PM »
A seasonal delicacy, I’m sure. Not for the faint of liver :) But assuming it’s only eaten for the holidays so a couple of times a year it would be ok. Do you give this to small children?

I have not.  We do not have little ones attending.  (The youngest is a teen.) Usually there are some other desserts that they prefer to something cinnamon.  When I make the pie, I add some cinnamon, taste, add more until it tastes right to me.  I purchase a brand of cinnamon, that tends to be strong, so I use a lot less than the recipe calls for.  I was under the impression it was tsp not tbs, and never added that much cinnamon.  Yeah I only make it when company comes.

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #19474 on: November 26, 2023, 05:06:44 PM »
Please don’t feel like you are being criticized! It’s just that such amounts of cinnamon (as mentioned in the recipe, which apparently is not how you do it) sounds surprising. I’m sure it’s delicious 🤤
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

« Reply #19475 on: November 27, 2023, 11:49:42 AM »
Please don’t feel like you are being criticized! It’s just that such amounts of cinnamon (as mentioned in the recipe, which apparently is not how you do it) sounds surprising. I’m sure it’s delicious 🤤

I did not think I was being criticized.  You had asked a legitimate question.  I really did think the measurement was teaspoon and not tablespoon.  I have a tendency to taste as I go and add as needed.  You can always add, but not take away.  Some recipes are a bit much, so I try and temper them. 

-Frank Zappa

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19476 on: November 28, 2023, 04:06:57 AM »
A quick search of cinnamon pie recipes found another that was identical to dmeck's pie, a couple with a little less (3 tablespoons), several with a lot less (1-2 teaspoons), and one with 1 tablespoon.
And man, I really want to try it now!
Although, I'd have to substitute dairy-free ingredients for my daughter's sake. Kraft makes an offshoot of the Philadelphia brand in lactose-free (it may be old news to the Americans, though), and we occasionally can get a cashew cream that is whippable.  The amount of butter in the crust would be tolerable for her, but not a fully dairy pie. (No, we don't have Crisco, and Kremelta is difficult to get smooth enough in a crust. Butter good, to coin a phrase.)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

dmeck7755

« Reply #19477 on: November 28, 2023, 02:27:33 PM »
A quick search of cinnamon pie recipes found another that was identical to dmeck's pie, a couple with a little less (3 tablespoons), several with a lot less (1-2 teaspoons), and one with 1 tablespoon.
And man, I really want to try it now!
Although, I'd have to substitute dairy-free ingredients for my daughter's sake. Kraft makes an offshoot of the Philadelphia brand in lactose-free (it may be old news to the Americans, though), and we occasionally can get a cashew cream that is whippable.  The amount of butter in the crust would be tolerable for her, but not a fully dairy pie. (No, we don't have Crisco, and Kremelta is difficult to get smooth enough in a crust. Butter good, to coin a phrase.)

I am not a huge fan of regular pie crusts.  I usually do a graham cracker crust.  (Though it does take some kind of melted fat.  I use butter)  It is quite good with the graham cracker.

I have been tempted to try it with speculoos cookies  or lotus Biscoff's.

-Frank Zappa

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #19478 on: December 11, 2023, 11:29:55 AM »
Hello all! We’re back! Star, Yastreb and I have the lights on again, at around 0230 Tuesday, after a day-long power outage. Dammit! It hasn’t been good. At least I could cook on the woodstove and feed us and keep us warm in the quite unseasonal storm. Yes, our weekend of ‘Catastrophic Fire Weather’ suddenly morphed into major storms, rain and hail and flooding. We could really do without that, especially since Yastreb and I have been trying to work on his book, but this became a bit difficult without power or internet. At least the phones are back on line and it looks as if Yastreb will be able to fly home on Wednesday. We will miss him, but Melbourne is a lot safer just now than out here.

At least I have water tanks, lots of candles and battery lights, as well as good store of firewood and dry food, and a garden. So we came through the various weather things fairly okay, though I’m glad that this time we didn’t have to evacuate, since my beloved is still bed-bound. If we could get Star out to the car he could still drive, since his eyesight and driving skills are still fine, he just can’t walk at present,  and I have managed to organise repairing the car to a driveable condition.

And yes, I admit to being a prepper, but not so much the camo underwear style - more the kind that starts community gardens, farmers markets, street libraries, seed exchanges and produce shares. And is ready to  cope at least somewhat with the exigencies of living through natural disasters in country Australia. As my grandmother used to say, any day on which you wake up is a good day! So hopefully we will all be back on the Forum soon - we missed you all!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #19479 on: December 11, 2023, 11:44:50 AM »
Glad your power's back on! And also glad that you're able to be so prepared for power outages. I think everyone should be as prepared as they can be for at least a few days of no power; though for some their living circumstances don't allow much preparation.

Has the rain at least ended the threat of fire for now? but I hope it didn't do your fields too much damage.

Róisín

« Reply #19480 on: December 11, 2023, 08:04:03 PM »
Rain has at least ended the fire threat for now. Which is good, because a week or so back we had a fire close enough to see the smoke and occasional flames. Lots of small fires started by lightning, but none too close to us. And we’re alive, which is always a good start. I just hope things are improving in Western Australia, which also has had dangerous fires. And in Far North Queensland, where my youngest son is currently dealing with the aftermath of a death in the family, and where they are in the path of an approaching cyclone.

Life is never dull. I could use a bit of dull, sometimes. And yeah, we have had some flooding, but nothing life-threatening near us so far. The cherry crop has been much diminished by weather, but our apples and quinces look to be still okay, and the poultry have survived so far. They can always get up into the branches of the big plum tree that grows in their yard.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #19481 on: December 11, 2023, 08:11:51 PM »
Glad to hear your power is back on and you survived the weather!

I think the weather in WA has been better since the heatwave a few weeks ago ended, although I couldn't tell you about the weather there right now because I'm actually up in Singapore for a week with my family to visit relatives. It's been humid, warm and rainy here as per usual.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #19482 on: December 11, 2023, 10:45:37 PM »
Life is never dull. I could use a bit of dull, sometimes.

I think dull is severely underrated. There's a good deal to be said for dull.

And for apples and quinces!

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #19483 on: December 12, 2023, 10:25:01 AM »
If what doesn't kill you makes you strong then Australia is Nietzsche's theme park.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

« Reply #19484 on: December 12, 2023, 06:15:47 PM »
Reckon you might be right about that. Certainly seems so at present!