Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409604 times)

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #19335 on: February 22, 2023, 02:03:22 PM »
I looked up the red-bellied black snake.  What a beautiful creature.
It does! Hello Jeff the snake! And yes, it is beautiful!
Indeed it is!
I wonder what's the evolutionary justification for that strong colour... It's easy to see Tiger Snake's patterns as some sort of camouflage, and the black on this snake's upper side would work that way too, but why the red? Mating purposes? ( :mikkel: , I suppose, would agree...  :sigrun: )
^-^
(I'd probably find some explanation on the net, but it's much funnier and interesting to be a bit lazy and hear what my fellow forumites have to say on that... :D  )
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #19336 on: February 22, 2023, 05:41:37 PM »
Grey, my husband was just womdering the same thing when I showed the photo to him. Great minds think alike!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #19337 on: February 22, 2023, 07:41:21 PM »
Don’t know why the colour. Since they display during mating, and fight other males, I suppose that is possible. I do know that the colour of the underside varies across the country; the ones we had in Far North Queensland were paler, almost a pinky-cream colour, and those on my sister’s farm in East Gippsland, through to where I lived in Walhalla, are quite a dark red. Around here they are mostly reddish-orange. Generally not really aggressive, thank goodness. I remember when we were camped at Ned’s Gully in the Cathedral Ranges and my older son, who had just got his first camera, was trying to step backward while holding the camera up to take a photo, and he realised that he had just stepped backwards over a redbelly. Fortunately he didn’t step on it, and it just lay quietly and then slid off. Unlike the one I caught on my line while fishing for eels in Stringer’s Creek, which was very aggressive and did its best to bite me while I got it off the hook. They are often found in the water, and I have seen them catch fish, frogs and water rats in the Gippsland rivers and swamps. That area is very wet, and the snakes are adapted to it. Gippsland is famous for mud and snakes.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #19338 on: February 22, 2023, 09:40:00 PM »
More like the last picture. Black or dark brown and orangey stripes, but usually the stripes are a bit more diffuse and blurry than those in the picture.

Our tiger snakes look like this -
(Photo is by a guy I went to high school with who is really into reptile photography)

Spoiler: show

Black on the top, yellow on the bottom, and stripes that are quite faint and diffused. When I saw the snake the other day I immediately identified it as a tiger snake since it had a dark back, yellow bottom and those very distinct, jagged-looking scales.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #19339 on: February 22, 2023, 10:17:53 PM »
What a singularly beautiful snake!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #19340 on: February 22, 2023, 10:52:35 PM »
So lovely, Keep!

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #19341 on: February 23, 2023, 08:18:31 AM »
Grey, my husband was just womdering the same thing when I showed the photo to him. Great minds think alike!
Must be something about people that are Culture fans and marry smart women... ;)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

dmeck7755

« Reply #19342 on: February 23, 2023, 09:23:55 AM »
Keep, That is a beautiful snake.  In the pictures I have seen on line Tiger snakes have lots of different hues (As Róisín has said also)

But in all of the pictures, they are beautiful
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #19343 on: February 23, 2023, 01:57:50 PM »
I wonder what's the evolutionary justification for that strong colour... [...]
(I'd probably find some explanation on the net, but it's much funnier and interesting to be a bit lazy and hear what my fellow forumites have to say on that... :D  )
Well, the standard spiel would be that anything that possesses potent toxins has an interest to advertise that fact to wannabe predators. (Which, in turn, gave rise to Batesian mimicry.)

But since you're angling for interesting explanations ... did anyone shine a UV light on those snakes' bellies already? ;)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #19344 on: March 26, 2023, 10:58:07 AM »
Say, did anyone notice something unusual about Scandinavia's insect population lately ... ?

(From Jim Jourdaine's book "Fieldwork Fail". Yes, sure, there's worse mishaps than that ...)

(Edit: ... a book that you almost could not buy anymore ... O_o )
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 12:11:46 PM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #19345 on: March 27, 2023, 10:58:19 AM »
Thank you, JoB! I just bought the book (in digital version) and it looks amazing, and funny!

I promise to be very carefull if I ever found myself carrying a flask with insect pheromones (???)

Changing subject, today I accidentally bumped* into this interesting quote:

“In every age everybody knows that up to his own time, progressive improvement has been taking place; nobody seems to reckon on any improvement in the next generation. We cannot absolutely prove that those are in error who say society has reached a turning point – that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us and with just as much apparent reason. ... On what principle is it that with nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?”

You know what makes it even more interesting?

It was written by Thomas Babington Macaulay. In 1860...

So in the XIX Century there were already people saying “things can only get worse from here.”

Of course some many bad things happened, but looking at the big picture I think it's safe to say the overall balance is positive. Therefore, if one of us (myself included) occasionally feel worried about the next generation... remember that happened before, probably to many people from our own parents' geneneration...  :)

(* bumped at Daily Kos' Good News Roundup. Be advised, it's a very politically engaged site, so it may not be everybody's cup of tea)

GOBBO

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #19346 on: April 29, 2023, 11:21:06 PM »
Page 537: NightMare, WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT OF THE LONDON STONE?!?!?! F*CKF*CKF*CK, GEORGE PUTITBACKPUTITBACKHURRYTHEF*CKUPANDPUTITBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOBBO

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #19347 on: April 29, 2023, 11:32:21 PM »

Page 537: NightMare, WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT OF THE LONDON STONE?!?!?! F*CKF*CKF*CK, GEORGE PUTITBACKPUTITBACKHURRYTHEF*CKUPANDPUTITBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IN THE WISE WORDS OF MIKE WAZOWSKI,
PUT THAT THING BACK WHERE IT CAME FROM OR SO HELP ME, SO HELP ME!!!

GOBBO

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #19348 on: April 30, 2023, 02:10:10 AM »
Just finished adventure 1... I'm gonna go listen to Ghost(Acoustic) on repeat for a while...
 :tuuri:  O:-)<3 :'(  :'(

GOBBO

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #19349 on: April 30, 2023, 11:05:36 AM »
(pg 255, adventure 2)Well, seems like Mordu is here...