Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2425029 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #19320 on: February 16, 2023, 09:19:56 PM »
Gah, finally read backward to catch up - oh, that natural disaster in NZ!  (I thought y'all meant the floods and landslips from the cyclone that hit us, which was separate from the atmospheric river of rain event of two weeks prior which *did* catch me out...)  I am *fortunately* also not caught up in the earthquake, which for NZ was pretty darn minor in effect although widely felt. However, I understand that it had a further hand in worsening the effects of the already horrendous flooding in some parts.  We don't quite know yet as swathes of the North Island are still completely cut off from all communication barring the odd satellite phone.

Today is sunny, but I am listening with trepidation to the song of the cicadas, reminiscent of locusts as they can be...
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #19321 on: February 16, 2023, 10:20:29 PM »
It was actually nearer three hours, and today will be frantic. Last night was a bad one for Star, and I have had a week containing some nasty medical stuff myself (biopsy, blood tests and such). Didn’t need fire watch atop that. At least my area fared better than Port Lincoln. As my gran and my aunts used to say, days on which you wake up at all are good days. And at least having had an interesting life means I am more prepared to deal with this stuff.

It is so good to hear that Wavewright is okay.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Róisín

« Reply #19322 on: February 20, 2023, 03:01:37 AM »
Only in Australia…..bit of a fuss in Adelaide suburbs, where a red-bellied black snake has just been captured in the Marion Shopping Centre after being loose there for several days. Apparently it had hitched a ride in somebody’s car, got out of the car and into the big shopping mall, probably via the car park, and was often seen but couldn’t be caught until a professional snake catcher was called in.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #19323 on: February 20, 2023, 12:01:22 PM »
I have to admire a continent where "a professional snake catcher" is a very real thing...

Róisín

« Reply #19324 on: February 20, 2023, 11:39:21 PM »
Yeah, we have snake catchers all over, because especially in years that have mouse plagues, snakes get in everywhere. Every hole big enough for a mouse to enter can give access to a snake, and we have a lot of venomous ones. Usually not so much in the city and inner suburbs, though that still happens. But outer suburbs and country towns often have to deal with such problems.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19325 on: February 21, 2023, 03:15:07 AM »
Given a choice of snakes or mice, I'd pick the snakes every time, no?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #19326 on: February 21, 2023, 04:13:04 AM »
Depends. I have snap traps for the mice, and regularly kill them. We are very close to farmland, the wool store is just up the road, and my next door neighbour is a manufacturer of dried fruit, so he has huge compost bays for all the cores, peels and other detritus. Hence rodents. We also have my surviving old cat Agatha, who was twenty in September, the neighbour’s much younger cats, and several owls who live near us, including one large old female barn owl whose regular perch is on our tv antenna, from which vantage point she regularly targets the mice in Tim’s compost bays. There are also a pair of kestrels who regularly hunt rodents in our yards. There used to be a beautiful big female brown snake who lived in an old disused drain under my big rose tree, but we lost her a few years ago when she was washed out of her lair in winter floods, and drowned. I cried for her, when I found her where she had been washed halfway down the yard. There are younger smaller snakes around now, and I just hope they don’t want to come into the house. I have killed snakes, mostly when they were being a danger to me or the kids, but I would much prefer not to - they are useful animals, beautiful and part of the ecology.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #19327 on: February 21, 2023, 09:52:08 AM »
Talking about snakes, I actually saw a tiger snake today! My girlfriend and I were out on a walk by a lake (where tiger snakes like to be, because their favourite food is frogs) when I saw some movement in the water by a large rock that was on the edge of the lake. Curious as to the source, I jumped up on top of the rock only to see a tiger snake climbing up the other side! I quickly jumped off again after that, since while I do know snakebite first aid and we were in an urban area with reception I did not particularly want the day to end with me phoning my mother from the hospital telling her I'd been bitten by a tiger snake. Unfortunately my girlfriend was unable to get a look at the snake, since the angle of the rock meant that the snake was practically impossible to see from the lakeside unless you jumped up onto the rock itself, something neither of us were keen on repeating since it's generally wise to give very venomous snakes a generous amount of personal space.

Later, in the afternoon, the lake was covered in musk ducks which were engaging in mating displays - this involves displaying their funny looking dangly chin flap, waggling their tail and emitting a very piercing, high-pitched whistle. I'd never seen so many musk ducks before in my life - I've seen them before but only one or two at a time - so this was really quite special. You could hear their normal call - which is a haunting sort of single note 'whoop' whistle - echoing back and forth across the lake, and the high-pitched mating whistles increasing in frequency as it got later in the afternoon. The lake was also full of coots, swans, and a couple of great crested grebes, and two Australian hobbys, a small type of raptor, were swooping over the water. Honestly it was one of the most special experiences I've ever had, particularly as I'd been feeling in a bad mood beforehand and that was just completely dispelled.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

« Reply #19328 on: February 21, 2023, 12:08:10 PM »
Lovely! Tiger snakes are beautiful, and if there is plenty of food, probably breeding in your wetlands. So be careful where you step.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #19329 on: February 21, 2023, 03:09:50 PM »
What a wonderful nature walk! Thank you for sharing Keep!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

« Reply #19330 on: February 21, 2023, 03:37:51 PM »
This all sounds so special and wonderful. Thank you for sharing

It snowed here so I just have a horde of sparrows at my feeders
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #19331 on: February 21, 2023, 04:04:16 PM »
Fascinating, Keep and Róisín!

Regarding that snake at the Mall, it just wanted to do a bit of shopping...  ^-^
Spoiler: show

Talking about Tiger snakes, was I the only one that thought on something like this...

...while knowing quite well it would be something like this?  :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Róisín

« Reply #19332 on: February 21, 2023, 09:39:50 PM »
More like the last picture. Black or dark brown and orangey stripes, but usually the stripes are a bit more diffuse and blurry than those in the picture.

dmeck7755

« Reply #19333 on: February 22, 2023, 10:19:26 AM »
I looked up the red-bellied black snake.  What a beautiful creature.

If anyone reads Phantomarine it sorta looks like an incantation of Cheth (Jeff)
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #19334 on: February 22, 2023, 12:30:52 PM »
It does! Hello Jeff the snake! And yes, it is beautiful!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.