Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410239 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3390 on: February 06, 2015, 07:42:11 PM »
...? I fail to see how this is embarrasing to be honest. Can't you just, y'know, tell her you got the dates wrong and forgot to let her know at the time because you got flustered and that's it? I mean it's already Saturday so the sooner the better.
I knooooow! I just feel irrationally bad over it cos I'm weird like that :/
Yeah. Yup. Imma do it.

Ugh, not looking forward to this family trip to the beach though. I like the beach, but the family always try their best to make the trip as hostile as possible and it sucks.
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3391 on: February 06, 2015, 07:48:55 PM »
I knooooow! I just feel irrationally bad over it cos I'm weird like that :/
Yeah. Yup. Imma do it.

Fimbulvarg is right.  Just be straightforward about it.  EVERYONE makes mistakes (a friend of mine routinely tells this to her 8-year-old son, an anxious little fellow with perfectionistic tendencies), and EVERYONE's had something like this happen to them.  Even the people you don't suspect because they look like they have their act in gear.

A second thing to keep in mind is that she'll be glad to hear from you, whatever the circumstances.  Nobody ever judges us as harshly as we judge ourselves.  If your places were reversed, you'd understand, wouldn't you?

Lastly, the more practice you get in social interactions, the less scary they get.  Think of it like batting practice (or whatever Australians like to do instead of baseball... practice throwing darts?). 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3392 on: February 06, 2015, 07:57:25 PM »
Ooh! That sounds interesting! :0

I know, right?

And I know exactly how you feel. I always blow stuff like that waaay out of proportions - in my head I turn every little mistake I make into a huge disaster, and then I proceed to feel super embarrassed about it. But I'm going to be a total hypocrite and tell you that you just have to talk to your friend anyway

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #3393 on: February 06, 2015, 08:13:54 PM »
I know, right?

And I know exactly how you feel. I always blow stuff like that waaay out of proportions - in my head I turn every little mistake I make into a huge disaster, and then I proceed to feel super embarrassed about it. But I'm going to be a total hypocrite and tell you that you just have to talk to your friend anyway
I also get like this, more often with work - so I just tell it to that person anyways to see what happens, whether or not it's a good or bad result. :) 
I just worry about everything and get anxious, even though people tell me otherwise.
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #3394 on: February 07, 2015, 10:21:31 PM »
Lastly, the more practice you get in social interactions, the less scary they get.  Think of it like batting practice (or whatever Australians like to do instead of baseball... practice throwing darts?). 

Switch baseball with cricket and it's fine. Either way it's still batting practise.

*goes back into sleepy ninja mode*
Am notified of private messages via email.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3395 on: February 08, 2015, 05:49:35 PM »
Heeeelp D:

My mum told me that tomorrow I have to schedule a driving lesson, or she won't pay for the lessons or the certificate or anything (I don't know about where you guys live, but here in Norway that stuff is really, really expensive). Now, I have no problem with the actual lessons (well, actually I do, because sitting in a car with someone you don't know at all is incredibly uncomfortable, but other than that it's fine), but the thing is that I have to either call the driving school or stop by there after school, and both alternatives make me irrationally nervous. It's so weird, because I love heights, I'm completely unfazed by the dark and scary movies make me laugh, but I'm terrified of calling customer service (or, actually, calling anyone except people I am 110% comfortable with) and placing orders and stuff like that.

I am already worrying about what I'm going to say when I talk to them tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure I won't fall asleep anytime soon, and I'm not really sure how I was expecting you to be able to help me with this but I just don't know what to doooo :C

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3396 on: February 08, 2015, 05:51:54 PM »
Heeeelp D:

My mum told me that tomorrow I have to schedule a driving lesson, or she won't pay for the lessons or the certificate or anything (I don't know about where you guys live, but here in Norway that stuff is really, really expensive). Now, I have no problem with the actual lessons (well, actually I do, because sitting in a car with someone you don't know at all is incredibly uncomfortable, but other than that it's fine), but the thing is that I have to either call the driving school or stop by there after school, and both alternatives make me irrationally nervous. It's so weird, because I love heights, I'm completely unfazed by the dark and scary movies make me laugh, but I'm terrified of calling customer service (or, actually, calling anyone except people I am 110% comfortable with) and placing orders and stuff like that.

I am already worrying about what I'm going to say when I talk to them tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure I won't fall asleep anytime soon, and I'm not really sure how I was expecting you to be able to help me with this but I just don't know what to doooo :C

I got my license... two years ago I believe? The school I used offered a free trial lesson so I just called them and arranged that and from there it was easy to get everything arranged.

It's generally a good idea to get plenty of practice done before you go to the step of getting actual lessons (they're hellishly expensive).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 05:53:35 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #3397 on: February 08, 2015, 05:55:24 PM »
Heeeelp D:

I remember that we had some discussion a while ago about telephonephobia, and that many of us had that in some degree.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3398 on: February 08, 2015, 06:15:39 PM »
(they're hellishly expensive).

I KNOW ugh. Which is why I absolutely have toe schedule that lesson tomorrow

The school I used offered a free trial lesson so I just called them and arranged that and from there it was easy to get everything arranged.

Yeah, I did that this autumn. And I had a few lessons (we just scheduled the next lesson when we were finished for the day), but then I had to cancel an appointment because something else came up. And now it's been months since then, because I have been putting off calling them, and just thinking about talking to my instructor makes me super stressed. I know he probably won't care at all, but I just feel like he will be judging me. And what do I say if he asks why I took so long to schedule a new lesson? "Oh, well you see, I tried calling several times but it made me super anxious so I just dropped it"

I remember that we had some discussion a while ago about telephonephobia, and that many of us had that in some degree

What, really? I thought I was super weird for hating phone calls, because literally everyone I know talks in the phone all the time. Anyway, I have it to a VERY STRONG DEGREE

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3399 on: February 08, 2015, 06:26:17 PM »
And what do I say if he asks why I took so long to schedule a new lesson? "Oh, well you see, I tried calling several times but it made me super anxious so I just dropped it"
Yes, if he even bothers to ask. I see no reason why he would even care. These people get dozens of pupils throughout the year, they seriously don't care about things like this. Also they are not particularly judgmental people. They are interested in keeping you as a paying customer after all.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 06:40:07 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #3400 on: February 08, 2015, 07:19:28 PM »

What, really? I thought I was super weird for hating phone calls, because literally everyone I know talks in the phone all the time. Anyway, I have it to a VERY STRONG DEGREE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_phobia

Varjohaltia

« Reply #3401 on: February 08, 2015, 08:11:16 PM »

I don't have it to a level of phobia, but of pretty much any method of communication I like the phone the least and often go to great lengths to avoid using it. Perhaps my friends have something similar, or perhaps it's just cultural, but we very rarely use it, and calling things like customer support, especially if it's something I think is going to be stressful, is something I put off more than I should. In other words, I don't think it's that weird, and I certainly sympathize as well. Also, good luck!
:finland: Fluent
:usa: Fluent
:germany: Understands
:sweden: Rudimentary
:japan: Horrible

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3402 on: February 08, 2015, 10:36:18 PM »
The weekend spent at the beach was nice! Despite not getting any sleep there at all -____-
I sent a message to my friend on Saturday about getting the party dates mixed up and whether we could go get coffee sometime.....and now it's Monday....still no reply....

Did a rash-pocalypse happen in her town while I was out of range?? :/
Hmmmmm.

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #3403 on: February 08, 2015, 10:43:03 PM »
The weekend spent at the beach was nice! Despite not getting any sleep there at all -____-
I sent a message to my friend on Saturday about getting the party dates mixed up and whether we could go get coffee sometime.....and now it's Monday....still no reply....

Did a rash-pocalypse happen in her town while I was out of range?? :/
Hmmmmm.
The beach sounds nice, and catching up on sleep probably sounds nice.
That's what happens to my friends sometimes. XD I get no message for days, until they suddenly respond...

...I hope not. O _ O
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3404 on: February 08, 2015, 11:36:00 PM »
The beach sounds nice, and catching up on sleep probably sounds nice.
That's what happens to my friends sometimes. XD I get no message for days, until they suddenly respond...

...I hope not. O _ O
But she's always pretty quick to reply, unless she's hungover... Hmmm -m-
Agh I'm the worst friend ever.