Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387952 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3360 on: February 05, 2015, 11:09:57 AM »
I am DONE with my exams!. 5 years of studies and o 15 months of practical training finally come to an end! I was lucky with the comission, they seemed to like me. I ended the day with nearly best grades (1,2 for the whole practical part and 1,4 including Uni) :). One of the comissioners half-offered me a job, so on the weekend I will work on my CV and then see where this might take me from april on.

I am sooo happy. My day consists of sleeping and grinning mainly (after work of course).

So after recovering I am happy to take up again all the nice things I skipped during the last 6 months.

So much for my happy thoughts :).

Congratulations!  We've followed you through the last 4-5 months of your training, so we're thrilled to see a happy ending to the story.  And the start of another exciting saga, once you get a job. 

You'll be the MOST BEST teacher -- I know it!   :)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3361 on: February 05, 2015, 11:14:16 AM »
Maybe it's a variety form, there are lots of English varieties where seemingly nonsensical phrases make perfect sense.
That's all it is.  I had to put it in personal context to make sense of it, because it doesn't seem to work on its own.
Wait, are you saying it's an actual variety form?

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3362 on: February 05, 2015, 11:15:19 AM »
And here I say:

Hello folks,
I am DONE with my exams!. 5 years of studies and o 15 months of practical training finally come to an end! I was lucky with the comission, they seemed to like me. I ended the day with nearly best grades (1,2 for the whole practical part and 1,4 including Uni) :). One of the comissioners half-offered me a job, so on the weekend I will work on my CV and then see were this might take me from april on.

I am sooo happy. My day consists of sleeping and grinning mainly (after work of course).

So after recovering I am happy to take up again all the nice things I skipped during the last 6 months.

CONGRATULATIONS *throws confetti*

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #3363 on: February 05, 2015, 11:20:04 AM »
And here I say:

Hello folks,
I am DONE with my exams!. 5 years of studies and o 15 months of practical training finally come to an end! I was lucky with the comission, they seemed to like me. I ended the day with nearly best grades (1,2 for the whole practical part and 1,4 including Uni) :). One of the comissioners half-offered me a job, so on the weekend I will work on my CV and then see were this might take me from april on.

YAAAAY! Kex is done with the exams and as expected, she did great! *confetti*

That means that you and me have languages to do now, teacher!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3364 on: February 05, 2015, 11:47:51 AM »
Wait, are you saying it's an actual variety form?
I'm not sure if it's like... documented, or anything, but I do use that particular phrasing.  It's just a casual way to point something out.
Feel free to PM.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3365 on: February 05, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »
I just found the following sentence in my English textbook while doing homework: "What are they on top of your head?". I had to read a few times, I'm still not getting the meaning. (Context: "I can't find my glasses")

Huh?

It'd make more sense without the "what." Unless the textbook is trying (and failing) to teach you to be snarky à la Piney's version...

And here I say:

Hello folks,

YEAH! *joins confetti shower*

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3366 on: February 05, 2015, 03:21:30 PM »
And here I say:

Hello folks,

AHHHHH CONGRATULATIONS KEX! Super well done! *eats confetti off the ground* 8D

I just found the following sentence in my English textbook while doing homework: "What are they on top of your head?". I had to read a few times, I'm still not getting the meaning. (Context: "I can't find my glasses")
Like Eich, I use this kind of phrase as well, but to me it sounds better as "Well, what are those/they on top of your head then?"
Yeah...I'm very guilty of using this phrase X/
Eg: *motions to "missing" item* "What's this/that/etc then? A bowl of goldfish?"
(I actually had a dream once where the forum was doing a voice chat thing and I could only talk in weird phrases and my accent/English was so bad and I had to leave......agh o___o)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:23:59 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3367 on: February 05, 2015, 03:26:02 PM »
(I actually had a dream once where the forum was doing a voice chat thing and I could only talk in weird phrases and my accent/English was so bad and I had to leave......agh o___o)
In my head you sound like Adam Hills with a high pitched voice.

CONGRATULATIONS *throws confetti*
And congratulations to you on your scouthood.

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3368 on: February 05, 2015, 03:52:24 PM »
Return of my test week results tomorrow. Feeling pritty anxious since geometry test in math has a complete failure from my part and i may have to do it again. Let's see if the only thing tomorrow is going to be the SSSS page posted.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3369 on: February 05, 2015, 05:08:53 PM »
And congratulations to you on your scouthood.

Why thank you!

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3370 on: February 05, 2015, 05:21:28 PM »
In my head you sound like Adam Hills with a high pitched voice.
HmmmmmMMmmMmm.. mixed feelings about that, mixed feelings XD
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #3371 on: February 05, 2015, 05:37:32 PM »
Congratulations Kex! Cyber party everyone!

can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

P__

« Reply #3372 on: February 05, 2015, 06:46:08 PM »

Yays!
All the internets are celebrating (sorry, couldn't find a more celebratory pic)
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3373 on: February 05, 2015, 06:52:41 PM »

Yays!
All the internets are celebrating (sorry, couldn't find a more celebratory pic)

Rip in peace members with epilepsy :P

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #3374 on: February 05, 2015, 08:38:45 PM »
Yay, kex!