Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409318 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3180 on: January 24, 2015, 02:27:19 AM »
Well... apparently it's been snowing for a good part of the night, and I didn't notice it until literally ten minutes ago. And I had been wondering why I couldn't see the Empire State Building or the Chrysler Building like I usually can. Everything's all golden-y and beautiful and I really wish I could just stare at the snow forever and not go to sleep. And it's my first New York snow, too!

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #3181 on: January 24, 2015, 04:45:12 AM »
Good morning (or any other time of day you might have)!
My night was horrible, with two nightmares in a row - but as a compensation, I woke up with a great idea what to do as a gift to my parents who have their silver wedding next week. Sometimes I wonder what is going on in my brain at night.  :o

Yay for good blood parameters and snow, and good luck for everyone who is preparing exams.  :)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3182 on: January 24, 2015, 05:21:08 AM »
Good morning (or any other time of day you might have)!
My night was horrible, with two nightmares in a row - but as a compensation, I woke up with a great idea what to do as a gift to my parents who have their silver wedding next week. Sometimes I wonder what is going on in my brain at night.  :o
You're going to give them a nightmarish experience?

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #3183 on: January 24, 2015, 06:55:27 AM »
No, I'm doing a slideshow with old pictures and songs and nice stuff.  ;) Totally unrelated to the nightmarish scenes.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #3184 on: January 24, 2015, 06:16:45 PM »
The chair saga continues..... 9___9 and my friend has been (anonymously thank gosh) bad-mouthed by a former (sacked) employee in the newspaper about how young people can't be trusted to do the job properly because they have...phones...? She just described the generic go-to-old-people's-stereotype of young people....??
I don't know, my brain can't really function properly yet, but it sounded like the person was just really bitter that they lost their job to a younger person during the big staff cut to me. :/ And if they don't even work at the museum, why did the newspaper interview them? Did they drag their enraged self over to the newspaper to be interviewed? Kinda sounds like it....

A former TMAG employee, who wished to remain anonymous, said experienced attendants had been squeezed out as part of a restructure.
She said employees passionate about protecting TMAG’s collection had been replaced by younger workers.
“They sit on their phones, they don’t get up when people come into the gallery, they don’t actually care,” the former worker said.
“It didn’t happen when we were there because you’d see a 17-year-old and you’d ... position yourself where you could watch them.”

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/art-attack-teenager-wrecks-tmags-historic-300000-hamilton-inn-sofa/story-fnj4f7k1-1227195887351

Edit: Agh my mouth is trying to kill me right now ;____; *forlornly sips cold honey tea*
Are there any cheery foods I could eat? (it feels like a nurse danced on my throat...)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:30:51 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3185 on: January 24, 2015, 06:58:49 PM »
about how young people can't be trusted to do the job properly because they have...phones...?
And the "acting director" flat out contradicted his reasoning why "it didn't happen when we were there" in the last line of the article. (Though I'ld say that putting it into a glass case would have been a possibility.) Which certainly runs the risk of being a self-serving assertion as well, as she likely was involved in said restructuring herself ... but nonetheless, you definitely can distract yourself with your newspaper just as well as with a smartphone.

And if they don't even work at the museum, why did the newspaper interview them? Did they drag their enraged self over to the newspaper to be interviewed?
Could've been contacted for an interview in reply to sending a letter to the editor, or because someone remembered interviewing him re: TMAG previously, or because someone wanted a now-outsider's POV in hopes that he'ld get that kind of "I knew it!" ...

Edit: Agh my mouth is trying to kill me right now ;____; *forlornly sips cold honey tea*
Are there any cheery foods I could eat? (it feels like a nurse danced on my throat...)
I'm afraid that open wounds inside the mouth do not mix well with hot beverages (chocolade), high sugar content, chili, or any other make-happy food that I can think of offhand ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3186 on: January 24, 2015, 07:04:26 PM »
I'm afraid that open wounds inside the mouth do not mix well with hot beverages (chocolade), high sugar content, chili, or any other make-happy food that I can think of offhand ...
is the honey in my tea ok? :OOOOO
So far, the best-tasting food I've had was some mashed sweet potato. Plus it was the only non add-water based food so far... so i might be a bit biased. ;P

Awahahahagghghh this mouthwash tastes like meeeeeaaaaaatttttttt ;;;;___;;; *cries*
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:10:14 PM by OrigamiOwl »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3187 on: January 24, 2015, 07:14:44 PM »

I don't know, my brain can't really function properly yet, but it sounded like the person was just really bitter that they lost their job to a younger person during the big staff cut to me. :/ And if they don't even work at the museum, why did the newspaper interview them? Did they drag their enraged self over to the newspaper to be interviewed? Kinda sounds like it....

As a former newspaper reporter, I think it's totally plausible that the bitter old biddy (gender?) phoned up the paper.  But JoB's theory also makes sense -- that one of the reporters had the B.O.B.'s contact info already from prior encounters.

Either way, it's *highly* likely that said reporter was rolling his/her eyes during the whole interview.  And then immediately on hanging up, turned around and made a snide remark to the person at the next desk about bitter old ex-employees (believe me, you can smell 'em 100 yards away) and their stereotypical views of Kids Today. 

Does that make you feel any better on your friend's behalf, Owl?   ;)

Nothing acidic.  Soup is always good.  Or just canned chicken broth!  Applesauce, rice, all the things they recommend for upset stomachs, too.  Instant mashed potatoes? 

Cloves are also good -- they were used for toothache pain going back to the Middle Ages.  If it's boiling hot there in Australia, you may not want hot cider mulled with cloves (or tea ditto), but maybe ask someone to brew some and then chill it? 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:18:16 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3188 on: January 24, 2015, 07:28:23 PM »
is the honey in my tea ok? :OOOOO
Probably. It's not insanely sugary, and quite aseptic. (IIUC honey was used to treat (outward) wounds in earlier times due to that property, but I don't remember the specifics.)

No pertinent instructions from the dentist ... ?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3189 on: January 24, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »
As a former newspaper reporter, I think it's totally plausible that the bitter old biddy (gender?) phoned up the paper.  But JoB's theory also makes sense -- that one of the reporters had the B.O.B.'s contact info already from prior encounters.

Either way, it's *highly* likely that said reporter was rolling his/her eyes during the whole interview.  And then immediately on hanging up, turned around and made a snide remark to the person at the next desk about bitter old ex-employees (believe me, you can smell 'em 100 yards away) and their stereotypical views of Kids Today. 

Does that make you feel any better on your friend's behalf, Owl?   ;)

Nothing acidic.  Soup is always good.  Or just canned chicken broth!  Applesauce, rice, all the things they recommend for upset stomachs, too.  Instant mashed potatoes? 

Cloves are also good -- they were used for toothache pain going back to the Middle Ages.  If it's boiling hot there in Australia, you may not want hot cider mulled with cloves (or tea ditto), but maybe ask someone to brew some and then chill it?
Yeah. My friend is really worried that she's going to lose her job :(

I actually think that it's good that the museum was offering job opportunities to young people, because so few places do down here- it's all filled with old grumpy people who don't like you just because you're young 0__0 (they're even mean and rude to me, and -in all modesty- I'm a ridiculously polite goody-two-shoes. I had to leave the museum crying once because a lady was so rude to me about putting my book satchel in a locker. Maybe it was her they interviewed lol) the only places that want to hire young people are fast food chains and supermarkets, which sucks if you would like to get an actual job, (and have spent years getting a degree for a proper job) but I suppose we have to "work our way up from the very bottom and be grateful society even let us have a job because we're all so young and useless and should wait for our turn i.e: all the ancient employees die of old age and their dusty skeletons have to be vacuumed from their posts and the building exorcised lest their grumpy ghosts return from the afterlife to knock off the new replacement staff etc" blah blah blah.

Soup is good :) but its a bit meh when its cold XD
The cloves sounds like an interesting idea though.....hmmmmm...could i put..,cloves in potato..?? 8/ *sluggishly scratches head*

Probably. It's not insanely sugary, and quite aseptic. (IIUC honey was used to treat (outward) wounds in earlier times due to that property, but I don't remember the specifics.)

No pertinent instructions from the dentist ... ?
I didn't even see the dentist, just the nurses. They only said "nothing too warm, no rice, nothing to chew." they were a bit terse.... (and a bit mean too- just as i felt well enough to accept their offer of an ice cream they said no because I might get car sick [never happens] anyone who promises ice cream then denies last-minute is a meanie in my delirious book ;P)

I was hoping the honey might make my throat feel better....

Edit: the nurse also said no showers...? but i don't remember if she said no hot showers, or just...no showers...? But i really want a shower this morning... ;___;
Should i just """yolo""" and go have a shower?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:53:17 PM by OrigamiOwl »

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3190 on: January 24, 2015, 08:28:24 PM »
...but I suppose we have to "work our way up from the very bottom and be grateful society even let us have a job because we're all so young and useless and should wait for our turn i.e: all the ancient employees die of old age and their dusty skeletons have to be vacuumed from their posts and the building exorcised lest their grumpy ghosts return from the afterlife to knock off the new replacement staff etc" blah blah blah.

Possibly the best description ever of a depressing job situation. I couldn't help smiling.

I really hope your friend doesn't lose her job, though. :(

Edit: the nurse also said no showers...? but i don't remember if she said no hot showers, or just...no showers...? But i really want a shower this morning... ;___;
Should i just """yolo""" and go have a shower?

Wait, no showers? *does not comprehend* But I thought it was just your teeth...? Maybe just not hot showers.*

*Full disclaimer: I know nothing about this subject whatsoever.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3191 on: January 24, 2015, 08:36:14 PM »
Possibly the best description ever of a depressing job situation. I couldn't help smiling.

I really hope your friend doesn't lose her job, though. :(

Wait, no showers? *does not comprehend* But I thought it was just your teeth...? Maybe just not hot showers.*

*Full disclaimer: I know nothing about this subject whatsoever.
Some people just...really like their jobs i guess. Enough to haunt it foreverrrrrrrr. XP It actually sounds like a supernatural episode or something.... O__o

My friend got a call from the director today, telling her "that everything is going to be ok" but the public are apparently asking lots of questions: which, if they're about why there isn't "do not touch" signs are perfectly good, but if they're about the plague of young people and why antiques aren't guarding the antiques then....mehhhh..

I took the shower anyway. Maybe it was "no showers on the first day"? I do feel a bit wobbly, but no wobblier than usual. And i feel much better after the shower. so pro-shower wins this round i guess...

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3192 on: January 24, 2015, 08:54:27 PM »
I took the shower anyway. Maybe it was "no showers on the first day"? I do feel a bit wobbly, but no wobblier than usual. And i feel much better after the shower. so pro-shower wins this round i guess...

"No showers on the first day" makes the most sense to me... but I don't see how that affects your mouth... ???
I've gotten my wisdom teeth out and as far as I remember there were no restrictions on my showering... I would've remembered having to take cold showers because I never do that, and no showering... is just kinda gross.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #3193 on: January 24, 2015, 10:45:35 PM »
Yeah. My friend is really worried that she's going to lose her job :(

I actually think that it's good that the museum was offering job opportunities to young people, because so few places do down here- it's all filled with old grumpy people who don't like you just because you're young 0__0 (they're even mean and rude to me, and -in all modesty- I'm a ridiculously polite goody-two-shoes. I had to leave the museum crying once because a lady was so rude to me about putting my book satchel in a locker. Maybe it was her they interviewed lol) the only places that want to hire young people are fast food chains and supermarkets, which sucks if you would like to get an actual job, (and have spent years getting a degree for a proper job) but I suppose we have to "work our way up from the very bottom and be grateful society even let us have a job because we're all so young and useless and should wait for our turn i.e: all the ancient employees die of old age and their dusty skeletons have to be vacuumed from their posts and the building exorcised lest their grumpy ghosts return from the afterlife to knock off the new replacement staff etc" blah blah blah.

That backwards watching principle is causing a lot of harm for the economy and economic development, when the younger people just has to take some really low-end jobs which doesn't match their education just because "their parents did the same". Would be much better for the economy and lifequality if they started at some proper job matching their education as early as possible, then they would start building up their experience and skills sooner on the particular field and become much more efficient and productive than the older generations who started working on it much later age. And according to some studies, our brains develop 'fast' until the age of 25 and that may mean that before that age learning is much more efficient then than later. And people are wasting that time at hamburger joints...
Also the youth unemployment is fairly here in the Europe causing social exclusion...
And that is because the young ones, educated, students and uneducated, are competing for the low-end jobs what nearly anyone could do?

For many years I tried to get some summer job, but never got any...
And there are many dumb rules, standards and ideals regarding to CVs and applications and what is the ideal worker...
Many of the CVs are like from same mold...

And currently I'm in the other side of the system, I'm employer :D

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3194 on: January 24, 2015, 11:07:27 PM »
That backwards watching principle is causing a lot of harm for the economy and economic development, when the younger people just has to take some really low-end jobs which doesn't match their education just because "their parents did the same". Would be much better for the economy and lifequality if they started at some proper job matching their education as early as possible, then they would start building up their experience and skills sooner on the particular field and become much more efficient and productive than the older generations who started working on it much later age. And according to some studies, our brains develop 'fast' until the age of 25 and that may mean that before that age learning is much more efficient then than later. And people are wasting that time at hamburger joints...
Also the youth unemployment is fairly here in the Europe causing social exclusion...
And that is because the young ones, educated, students and uneducated, are competing for the low-end jobs what nearly anyone could do?

For many years I tried to get some summer job, but never got any...
And there are many dumb rules, standards and ideals regarding to CVs and applications and what is the ideal worker...
Many of the CVs are like from same mold...

Our region regularly employs (in the working seasons) young people with super fancy degrees....just to pick and sort fruit. Which anybody can do. Nearly all of them are from Europe or Asia. No locals, which is weird.
In my town, the kids my age (who don't go to university) work felling trees or gutting fish in the factory or something... which I'm not keen on, hence going to university. But at uni, they tell you that you won't get a job suited to your credentials after graduating. So a lot of students go and get fancy degrees or become nurses and doctors and stuff, then have to work at KFC to pay off their student debt, or leave the state or country to find a job (what the medical students usually have to do).

And currently I'm in the other side of the system, I'm employer :D
Ohhoo fancy Oskutin! X) *thumbs up of awesome approval*