Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424932 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3195 on: January 25, 2015, 06:15:57 AM »
Our region regularly employs (in the working seasons) young people with super fancy degrees....just to pick and sort fruit. Which anybody can do. Nearly all of them are from Europe or Asia. No locals, which is weird.
Eh, it's not necessarily weird. A Pole with a degree might pick strawberries in Norway in the summer season simply because it pays well for a Pole regardless of his profession or education (there are some 130 000 Poles in Norway, a country of 5.1 million inhabitants). Eastern Europeans will travel the world for anything that pays. Even Norwegian doctoral students can be found doing menial work because there simply are no available positions for them at any of the universities.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #3196 on: January 25, 2015, 06:16:13 AM »
Ok so, someone posted this video on a chat, saying these were "some impressive archery skills":
/>
That's the understatement of the year. Legolas has nothing on this guy. Wow.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3197 on: January 25, 2015, 06:22:11 AM »
Ok so, someone posted this video on a chat, saying these were "some impressive archery skills":
/>
That's the understatement of the year. Legolas has nothing on this guy. Wow.
At 0:45 and 2:36, That final pose ... Glorious.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3198 on: January 25, 2015, 07:08:02 AM »
Holy Saint Sebastian!  This guy is *frighteningly* good.  (Although at 4:15, where he does a "drive-by shooting" on roller blades?  I confess I giggled.)

I hope he survives the Rash Plague to teach the Vikings of Dalsnes how to fire arrows quickly, even while dangling up-side down from a jungle gym or running through the woods...

"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3199 on: January 25, 2015, 07:12:29 AM »
I hope he survives the Rash Plague to teach the Vikings of Dalsnes how to fire arrows quickly, even while dangling up-side down from a jungle gym or running through the woods...
That would depend on the willingness of the Dalsnesers to listen to a Dane for long enough to learn something worthwhile. Or that he survived the rash in Norway and not on Bornholm.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:36:34 AM by Fimbulvarg »

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #3200 on: January 25, 2015, 01:30:45 PM »
Gosh. Crazy guy...
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3201 on: January 25, 2015, 03:29:09 PM »
That would depend on the willingness of the Dalsnesers to listen to a Dane for long enough to learn something worthwhile. Or that he survived the rash in Norway and not on Bornholm.

Oh!  Uh... yes, sure.  (Acting as if I hadn't forgotten the geographical and cultural gaps.)

Shall we assume the Danes prefer Humongous Mecha, the Swedes are too pompous to adopt any non-native techniques, and the Icelanders don't have any large land predators?  And the Norwegians are open to any super-awesome killing technique, no matter who presents it?  (And how much he mumbles?)

Actually, the Finns, with their forests and ancient traditions of silent tracking/warfare, would probably appreciate Ninja Archery too.  Don't know about the rollerblades, though...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 05:07:08 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3202 on: January 25, 2015, 03:44:12 PM »
Oh!  Uh... yes, sure.  (Acting as if I hadn't forgotten the geographical and cultural gaps.)

Shall we assume the Danes prefer Humongous Mecha, the Swedes are too snooty to adopt any non-native techniques, and the Icelanders don't have any large land predators?  And the Norwegians are open to any super-awesome killing technique, no matter who presents it?  (And how much he mumbles?)

Actually, the Finns, with their forests and ancient traditions of silent tracking/warfare, would probably appreciate Ninja Archery too.  Don't know about the rollerblades, though...
Now I can't unsee Onni on roller skates, firing arrows like crazy, followed by a near-conga line of rollerblading mages, also shooting like crazy, accompanied by disco music... O_____O (owl has not fully recovered, or had a lot of sleep....you can tell)
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3203 on: January 25, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »
Now I can't unsee Onni on roller skates, firing arrows like crazy, followed by a near-conga line of rollerblading mages, also shooting like crazy, accompanied by disco music... O_____O (owl has not fully recovered, or had a lot of sleep....you can tell)

This forum is my #1 provider of great mental images hahaha

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3204 on: January 25, 2015, 03:51:32 PM »
Hmm yeah, that's an oddly specific mental image. They do have good opportunities for ice skating in Keuruu though. Maybe the ancient art of figure skating lives on in a Finnish military base.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3205 on: January 25, 2015, 04:15:51 PM »
This forum is my #1 provider of great mental images hahaha
While more Swedish than Finnish, this picture.....kinda disturbs me a little...like. What is it's context...?! Why are people skating around a wax ABBA? I'll never knowwww!!! *probably has a temperature again*

Edit: now the first few seconds of the song "Euphoria" keep replaying in my head uAu
Music: DUUUUHHHHNNNNNN *little synth chords* "Wh-hyyyyy...?" And repeat... Over and over...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:20:05 PM by OrigamiOwl »

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3206 on: January 25, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »
While more Swedish than Finnish, this picture.....kinda disturbs me a little...like. What is it's context...?! Why are people skating around a wax ABBA? I'll never knowwww!!! *probably has a temperature again*

Edit: now the first few seconds of the song "Euphoria" keep replaying in my head uAu
Music: DUUUUHHHHNNNNNN *little synth chords* "Wh-hyyyyy...?" And repeat... Over and over...

Owl i think you should calmly put down the device you use to come here, take a deep breath, walk/roll to your bed and go to sleep until your brain isn't overheating anymore.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3207 on: January 25, 2015, 04:37:38 PM »

Hahaha, that photo is now my new favourite thing in the world (although I understand just as little as you do). And NOOO, why did you have to put that song in my head? It never goes away ;n;

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3208 on: January 25, 2015, 04:43:19 PM »
Owl i think you should calmly put down the device you use to come here, take a deep breath, walk/roll to your bed and go to sleep until your brain isn't overheating anymore.
...I /am/ in bedddddd ;___; I've been up since 3.30am since Friday *eye twitches*

Hahaha, that photo is now my new favourite thing in the world (although I understand just as little as you do). And NOOO, why did you have to put that song in my head? It never goes away ;n;
Why can't this moment last foreverrr morrrrrre? ToNIIIIGGGgghhht, tonight eternity's an OPENNNNN DOOOOOOR! *emil and the team do interpretive dance as petals rain about them*

Yeah....I think I need to lie down...some more...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:49:53 PM by OrigamiOwl »

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3209 on: January 25, 2015, 04:53:31 PM »
They do have good opportunities for ice skating in Keuruu though. Maybe the ancient art of figure skating lives on in a Finnish military base.
Maybe "opportunities" can even be substituted with magic, if necessary. ;D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15