Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410799 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3165 on: January 23, 2015, 01:27:58 PM »
Guuuyss! I received results from my blood exams-thingies! And I have 37k platelets!  ;D Last time I had 12k and it was already amazing because I usually have about 3k - I'm getting betteeeer~~

That's great!  Is there a particular platelet count you're aiming at? 
(And at what point do your "midichloridians" kick in, so that your full Phoenix Powers start to activate?  Just bracing myself for the advent of our fiery new ruler...  ;))
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #3166 on: January 23, 2015, 01:29:19 PM »
Focusing is always the hardest part of just about anything.
Yep, I speak from experience on that -- so kudos!

Also yay, last two finals today: ap us history and German 3.
Good luck!  We're rooting for you.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3167 on: January 23, 2015, 01:42:26 PM »
I have 37k platelets![/i]
That's ... is that a lot of platelets or a decent amount of platelets?

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #3168 on: January 23, 2015, 01:45:40 PM »
Awww thanks guys  ;D

That's great!  Is there a particular platelet count you're aiming at? 
(And at what point do your "midichloridians" kick in, so that your full Phoenix Powers start to activate?  Just bracing myself for the advent of our fiery new ruler...  ;))

A normal person has usually platelets ranging from 150k to 450k. I've had a lack of them since I was little, and the doctor thought that MAYBE (it's idiopatic - is that even a word in English? - meaning that the cause is not known) when puberty hit and changes and stuff the platelet count would also rise and slowly become normal. He was apparently right  :D

And bah. These doctors are not suitable to count my crazy level of midichlorians! (*Nim actually thinks midichlorians were not a great idea...*)
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3169 on: January 23, 2015, 01:51:05 PM »
Awww thanks guys  ;D

A normal person has usually platelets ranging from 150k to 450k. I've had a lack of them since I was little, and the doctor thought that MAYBE (it's idiopatic - is that even a word in English? - meaning that the cause is not known) when puberty hit and changes and stuff the platelet count would also rise and slowly become normal. He was apparently right  :D

And bah. These doctors are not suitable to count my crazy level of midichlorians! (*Nim actually thinks midichlorians were not a great idea...*)

Midichlorians are a lie.

All I know about my blood is that the hemoglobin levels are apparently 16,4. I let some practicing nurses try to figure it out with some kind of stapler-like machine. Aside from that I don't even know my blood type.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #3170 on: January 23, 2015, 02:19:31 PM »

"Idiopathic" is the word in English.  At least it wasn't "iatrogenic" -- another nice Greek word that actually means "caused by doctors"!

I for one welcome our new Phoenix overlord

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3171 on: January 23, 2015, 02:22:29 PM »
"Idiopathic" is the word in English.  At least it wasn't "iatrogenic" -- another nice Greek word that actually means "caused by doctors"!

I for one welcome our new Phoenix overlord.
*Southern American accent* She ain't mah overlord.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #3172 on: January 23, 2015, 04:20:10 PM »
Midichlorians are a lie.

All I know about my blood is that the hemoglobin levels are apparently 16,4. I let some practicing nurses try to figure it out with some kind of stapler-like machine. Aside from that I don't even know my blood type.

depending on the state I'm in while trying to donate blood it varies from 10,6 to 12,3. I always hope for the latter, means I am allowed to donate.

Fimby this level is high even for a male person? A friend of mine was not allowed to donate due to having a level around 15. Too much good is not wanted, it seems.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3173 on: January 23, 2015, 04:43:37 PM »
depending on the state I'm in while trying to donate blood it varies from 10,6 to 12,3. I always hope for the latter, means I am allowed to donate.

Fimby this level is high even for a male person? A friend of mine was not allowed to donate due to having a level around 15. Too much good is not wanted, it seems.

Or was it 14,6. I'm fuzzy on the details, this was 4 years ago (and the way I initially remember it it was 164, had to check if that was a possible value. Which it isn't). They did tell me it was unremarkable is all I remember for sure.

tl;dr I actually know nothing about my blood.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:50:10 PM by Fimbulvarg »

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3174 on: January 23, 2015, 04:54:52 PM »
A normal person has usually platelets ranging from 150k to 450k.
Then your doctors apparently use platelets per cubic millimeter as their unit of reference.

(If I tell a French doctor my blood pressure measured as mm of Mercury, he'll dive under the table for fear that I might explode any instant. German optometrists revert the sign in front of the diopters on the Brillenpaß they hand over to the client, in case he ever needs to present the documents to a colleague elsewhere using the "international" notation. Never never ever assume that medical UOMs stay the same when crossing national borders.)

A friend of mine was not allowed to donate due to having a level around 15. Too much good is not wanted, it seems.
Hemoglobin is contained in the red blood cells, an excess of which is not necessarily a good thing. (IIUC red blood cells are prone to not just "flowing along" twists and bifurcations of the veins but getting stuck there, so an excessive concentration lends to forming occlusions.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #3175 on: January 23, 2015, 06:23:25 PM »
Umh, nah. If that ice was there only a week ago, I'ld guess that it was too thin to get in the way of people swimming to the shore or workers getting the car out of the lake. And that there's only a couple degrees of a temperature difference.

Now if it had been frozen solid to the point of the car going over the lake, or simply could've been picked up still standing on the ice, that actually would've been better. 8)

Lake is shallow, 20-50 feet deep at the most, and about IIRC it's maybe 4 miles in surface area. Anyway last week the lake was froze over enough people were out on it ice fishing and then we high pressure cell parked itself over us and we had a warmup (basically a change from 17ish as the lows and 36 at the highest to 29s as the low and 47s as the highs) and combine that with the geothermal activity that seeps into the lake and you get a lot of melt over the weekend. There were a few spots that even when we didn't get over freezing for the highs were melted and steaming off from the thermal springs seeping up into the lake.

Glad those car peeps are ok!

Yeah. Though not sure about "pulled"..... "Cut out from my jaw and tweezed out in quarters" sounds more likely..... Uggh
But I'm doing ok. Even though it happened early this morning, I still can't feel my mouth...which is good I guess.

Hope they gave you the good stuff and it works.

...welll now I had a longer post that I lost after when I tried to post the site 403'd and 404'd on me, but it more or less boiled down to how apparently [medication name redacted, starts with Oxy] doesn't do jack to me for pain dulling (learned this after not when my wisdom teeth were pulled, but rather the second orthodontia procedure that I didn't get a full anesthesia due to no one being available to drive me home, 2 hour drive (fifteen minutes in the local wore off)+1hour waiting for the pain meds to kick in+another hour still waiting for the pain meds to kick in before repacking the gauze and biting down hard enough to numb the nerves that way)

Also something about hoop snakes, drop bears and avoiding both.

Also apparently I broke the forum (not serious, it just spat out a bunch of 403 and 404 errors when I tried to post this last night and I finally figured out why just now.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3176 on: January 23, 2015, 06:44:08 PM »

then we high pressure cell parked itself over us and we had a warmup (basically a change from 17ish as the lows and 36 at the highest to 29s as the low and 47s as the highs)
Usually high pressure is associated with cooling in the mid-latitudes. Well, unless the area is otherwise cooled by sub-polar winds.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #3177 on: January 23, 2015, 07:09:47 PM »
Usually high pressure is associated with cooling in the mid-latitudes. Well, unless the area is otherwise cooled by sub-polar winds.

I never studied as a meteorologist I just know that in the areas I've lived in the low pressure cells tend to bring in chaotic weather that's usually associated with cooling trends while high pressure causes everything to settle and stay still resulting in a warming trend.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #3178 on: January 23, 2015, 07:12:43 PM »
I never studied as a meteorologist; I just know that in the areas I've lived in the low pressure cells tend to bring in chaotic weather that's usually associated with cooling trends while high pressure causes everything to settle and stay still resulting in a warming trend.

Same here, in Northern California.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard weather reporters on TV saying something like "a high-pressure area has settled over the Bay Area, bringing warmer, drier weather with highs in the 80s," or "this low-pressure trough will likely bring in some rain..."

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3179 on: January 23, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
I never studied as a meteorologist I just know that in the areas I've lived in the low pressure cells tend to bring in chaotic weather that's usually associated with cooling trends while high pressure causes everything to settle and stay still resulting in a warming trend.
'S true that high pressure has a calming effect since the air slowly diverges and is gradually replaced with dry air from above unless pressure realigns. If you live in the US it could mean that colder air that normally moves into the area is blocked.

Same here, in Northern California.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard weather reporters on TV saying something like "a high-pressure area has settled over the Bay Area, bringing warmer, drier weather with highs in the 80s," or "this low-pressure trough will likely bring in some rain..."
Well yeah, Californian climate is known for the cooling winds from the ocean, the sun overhead and the warming Santa Anas. High pressure over the bay means no cold air from the sea.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:27:17 PM by Fimbulvarg »