Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411227 times)

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3135 on: January 22, 2015, 04:37:02 PM »
Well i think an ordinary outhouse or a simple hole in the ground wouldn't be that hycienic or really sensible since i take winters are way colder there and having a frostbite in your buttock seems quite likely in those conditions.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3136 on: January 22, 2015, 05:36:31 PM »
True, but another alternative would be a big, centralized toilet/shower block for each row of rooms at Keuruu.  That might be easier to keep heated and clean than individual bathrooms in each housing unit.  (I can't imagine Lalli taking much interest in housekeeping... although Onni is probably near-OCD about it.)

Are Finnish saunas traditionally built near or as part of bathrooms, or separate buildings?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3137 on: January 22, 2015, 06:15:32 PM »
Seems like a waste of space... but I guess those finns strike me as people who are likely to value their privacy...
Modern sewage does have some advantages in a large camp where dozens of essential personnel live packed together. They could use a latrine in the woods beyond the perimeter, sure, but it would be a bit awkward if a troll made its nest in the latrine pit  :P

Varjohaltia

« Reply #3138 on: January 22, 2015, 09:42:47 PM »
Well i think an ordinary outhouse or a simple hole in the ground wouldn't be that hycienic or really sensible since i take winters are way colder there and having a frostbite in your buttock seems quite likely in those conditions.

While not relevant to alternative futures, when I served my Finnish duty in 2000, our training center's (civilian) auditorium building only had traditional wooden outhouses. (Although they did have electric lights in them, go figure.) The actual center had shared facilities at the end of the hall.

From personal experience, I can also sing the praises of styrofoam toilet seats. Especially when it's -30 Celsius and you're using an outhouse. I actually much prefer that over summers and being eaten by mosquitoes.
:finland: Fluent
:usa: Fluent
:germany: Understands
:sweden: Rudimentary
:japan: Horrible

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #3139 on: January 22, 2015, 11:50:46 PM »
Agh. Just leaving the hospital now. Seven hours later. I feel like poop. And look like a Tim burton Emil...but with a full fringe. And a girl.
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #3140 on: January 23, 2015, 12:08:51 AM »
Agh. Just leaving the hospital now. Seven hours later. I feel like poop. And look like a Tim burton Emil...but with a full fringe. And a girl.

Aw, but you survived in one piece!  We're all sending get-well wishes your way.   :)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3141 on: January 23, 2015, 12:17:27 AM »
*Pats Owl*
On the bright side: all uphill from here?
Feel free to PM.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #3142 on: January 23, 2015, 12:25:22 AM »
True, but another alternative would be a big, centralized toilet/shower block for each row of rooms at Keuruu.  That might be easier to keep heated and clean than individual bathrooms in each housing unit.  (I can't imagine Lalli taking much interest in housekeeping... although Onni is probably near-OCD about it.)

Are Finnish saunas traditionally built near or as part of bathrooms, or separate buildings?

Traditionally they're own building without washrooms.
But modern saunas are part of washroom/bathroom.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3143 on: January 23, 2015, 12:33:37 AM »
*Pats Owl*
On the bright side: all uphill from here?
I hope so. I can't feel my lip or tongue, all I can taste is blood and plastic, and my jaw is starting to hurt :( but at least I'm not throwing up like my little sister is, some medication hasn't agreed with her, and she's never thrown up in her whole life o___o

Aw, but you survived in one piece!  We're all sending get-well wishes your way.   :)
Aggghhh thanks Sun ;-;

Edit: agh I know why my lips hurt now, cos there's a split in each corner. Blagh. Like the joker.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:49:28 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #3144 on: January 23, 2015, 12:55:14 AM »

Remember to drink your warm salted water! Also, were you conscious for the operation?
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3145 on: January 23, 2015, 01:40:16 AM »
Remember to drink your warm salted water! Also, were you conscious for the operation?
HmmmmmmHmmm. No I was asleep. Felt like I was asleep for years. Dreamt I was reading stuff on the Forum......
And then woke up and uncontrollably cried and hyperventilated for three hours ._______.
Also the nurses have no sense of humour. Or ability to understand numb-mouth language, which I thought they would be better at, considering all their practice.....
Me: *something about a headache*
Dad: well that's cos they had to hold yer head down under their foot while they pulled with the pliers.
Me: yeah, I can feel the indent *touches head* the doctor wears Clarks, with a worn down arch because he's flatfooted...
Nurse: *horrified* UM NO

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #3146 on: January 23, 2015, 01:54:09 AM »
HmmmmmmHmmm. No I was asleep. Felt like I was asleep for years. Dreamt I was reading stuff on the Forum......
And then woke up and uncontrollably cried and hyperventilated for three hours ._______.
Also the nurses have no sense of humour. Or ability to understand numb-mouth language, which I thought they would be better at, considering all their practice.....
Me: *something about a headache*
Dad: well that's cos they had to hold yer head down under their foot while they pulled with the pliers.
Me: yeah, I can feel the indent *touches head* the doctor wears Clarks, with a worn down arch because he's flatfooted...

Nurse: *horrified* UM NO

I hope your and your dad's comments were examples of that robust Australian sense of humor!   :o

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #3147 on: January 23, 2015, 02:28:51 AM »
Someone drove into the lake near where I live and work. Everyone made it out alright and no one was hurt.

Rubberneckers and the fact they had to bring in a crane turned the highway into a one lane stretch though.

I suppose now is the time to do such a thing rather than a week ago when the whole lake was froze over.

I'm going to take a wild guess that Origamiowl had their wisdom teeth pulled?
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3148 on: January 23, 2015, 02:34:49 AM »
Someone drove into the lake near where I live and work. Everyone made it out alright and no one was hurt.

Rubberneckers and the fact they had to bring in a crane turned the highway into a one lane stretch though.

I suppose now is the time to do such a thing rather than a week ago when the whole lake was froze over.

I'm going to take a wild guess that Origamiowl had their wisdom teeth pulled?
Glad those car peeps are ok!

Yeah. Though not sure about "pulled"..... "Cut out from my jaw and tweezed out in quarters" sounds more likely..... Uggh
But I'm doing ok. Even though it happened early this morning, I still can't feel my mouth...which is good I guess.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3149 on: January 23, 2015, 02:36:52 AM »
I hope your and your dad's comments were examples of that robust Australian sense of humor!   :o
*too tired to merge posts...I'll do it later*
I guess so :P we were talking about how jackhammers and chainsaws and draught horses were used too :P