Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387758 times)

midwestmutt

• Scout
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18465 on: January 31, 2019, 10:02:05 AM »

*friendly neighbourhood mod out*
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 02:00:51 PM by wavewright62 »
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #18466 on: January 31, 2019, 10:50:36 AM »
Ouch!

We only had about seven below. [that's Fahrenheit.] The older cats are still refusing to go outside, well after sunrise; which is fine by me. The young cat went out for about ten minutes at a time twice yesterday and once so far this morning. He is currently in a patch of sun on the inside, note inside, of a window.

I don't know yet whether the lettuce, in windowboxes under row covers in an unheated greenhouse, has survived. IME it can take several days to tell for sure; sometimes very unhappy looking lettuce recovers, sometimes it doesn't. But also I haven't been out to look at it yet!

Róisín, very glad that you are cooler!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:52:07 AM by thorny »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18467 on: January 31, 2019, 11:47:38 AM »
Scarycold over there! Good luck all!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18468 on: January 31, 2019, 12:27:44 PM »
Glad to see your weather has tamed down. Hopefully, we all will get a break soon as the seasons start to shift.

thorny

« Reply #18469 on: January 31, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »
Update: not much warmer, but slightly so. The Young Cat was out again, for about twenty minutes. The Old Cat Who Hates To Use The Indoor Cat Pan went out for about ten minutes. The Old Cat Who Doesn't Mind Using The Pan stuck her nose out the doorway and immediately reversed direction back into the house. They're all back in now.

If all the thermometers quit working, maybe I could calibrate using cats?

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18470 on: January 31, 2019, 02:08:13 PM »
I hope you don't mind if I stuck the [img] tags around your link, midwestmutt?  You have reached the point at which Farenheit & Celsius agree - ducking cold!!  I am also glad of your respite, Róisín - I trust your transport got themselves fixed up? 
I have to laugh, thorny, are you proposing to use a cat like one of those weather forecasting stones? http://www.funnysigns.net/johns-weather-forecasting-stone/  "If cat is white, it is snowing, if cat is a blur shooting back inside through your legs, it is cold?"
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #18471 on: January 31, 2019, 02:45:47 PM »
In my house it's more like "Cat loves you, it's cold. Cat pretends he doesn't know outside of meal times, it's hot."
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18472 on: January 31, 2019, 04:34:23 PM »
I hope you don't mind if I stuck the [img] tags around your link, midwestmutt?  You have reached the point at which Farenheit & Celsius agree - ducking cold!!  I am also glad of your respite, Róisín - I trust your transport got themselves fixed up? 
I have to laugh, thorny, are you proposing to use a cat like one of those weather forecasting stones? http://www.funnysigns.net/johns-weather-forecasting-stone/  "If cat is white, it is snowing, if cat is a blur shooting back inside through your legs, it is cold?"
I'm glad somebody knows what they're doing. I find the process for posting pictures to be very frustrating. I have to read the instructions every time or I really screw it up.

thorny

« Reply #18473 on: January 31, 2019, 06:29:35 PM »
I have to laugh, thorny, are you proposing to use a cat like one of those weather forecasting stones?   "If cat is white, it is snowing, if cat is a blur shooting back inside through your legs, it is cold?"

Chortle! -- but I was actually thinking of something a bit more precise: 'If all cats will go out and stay out a while, it's above freezing. If all cats will go out but B and C come right back in, it's between 20 and 30. If Cats A and B will go out but Cat C will not, it's around 10 above. If only Cat A will go out and not for very long, it's around zero. If no cats will go out, it's five below or colder . . .'

Three problems, at least: 1) you'd have to allow for amount of sunshine. Cat Sitting In Sun is going to feel a lot warmer than Clouded Over Cat. 2) You'd have to recalibrate every year or so, as cats will change category as they get older. 3) You'd have to allow for mood of the individual cat at the individual moment.

Róisín

« Reply #18474 on: January 31, 2019, 08:01:33 PM »
Interesting forecasting method, thorny.
And I have transport at the moment, for which I am very glad. Fortunately, if worse comes to worst, my town's last resort bushfire refuge, the sports oval, is within walking distance of my place. My cats have often followed me when I walk down there, so I think they would be okay if we didn't have transport when a fire happened.

Iceea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #18475 on: February 04, 2019, 07:13:03 PM »

*friendly neighbourhood mod out*

Wow! That is intense. I haven't seen those kind of temperature since I left northern Wisconsin. Here in the Boston area it was only single digits. Very low single digits at night, higher single digits during the day. Both positive. And today it was 50 something, go figure.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

thorny

« Reply #18476 on: February 04, 2019, 08:58:09 PM »
Today the high here hit 61ºF. The low was 40ºF -- above.

This would be odd weather here for February, especially early February, all on its own. Coming after this past week, it's whiplash scary.

Róisín

« Reply #18477 on: February 05, 2019, 01:01:31 AM »
Yeah, the extremes are just going to continue getting more extreme. All we can do is plant a wide-ranging permaculture, mulch a lot, be careful with our water and hope for the best. Good luck!

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #18478 on: February 06, 2019, 11:06:03 PM »
Not quite as impressive, but here it's forecast for us to have up to 20 inches of snow next weekend/early next week, which is just...an absurd amount for here (the last time anything like it happened was in '96, and the most recent ""big snow"" was maybe six inches in about 2010?). We're ready to hunker down for the weekend and it should be alright, but it's pretty wild weather for Seattle...
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #18479 on: February 07, 2019, 10:07:55 AM »
We're in the middle of a three-day bout of freezing rain and sleet. Getting crusty around here and not much is moving.