Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387836 times)

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2865 on: January 09, 2015, 06:36:46 AM »
Uuuh, I'm going to skip the entire discussion on history lessons and just answer this:

Double post, so sue me. I feel particularly happy and emotional today, so I'll just say it. I love you guys, all of you. You're wonderful and make me actually laugh in joy (that is quite a feat) and I usually go out of a chat session with a big stupid smile. And sometimes forget about unimportant stuff like eating and homework. Meh. So I'm sending virtual hugs and kisses to all of you and wishing you a good night. (You're not allowed to dodge or escape from my virtual hugs and kisses, you asocial people.)

I agree. So very much. I talk about you guys with my family and I call you my friends. I love you and I hope we can keep this wonderfully amazing community up for many years to come.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2866 on: January 09, 2015, 06:52:24 AM »
Uuuh, I'm going to skip the entire discussion on history lessons and just answer this:

I agree. So very much. I talk about you guys with my family and I call you my friends. I love you and I hope we can keep this wonderfully amazing community up for many years to come.

Yes! We already lost a few members, but we gained lots of new ones! I always call you guys "my friends", but explaining the concept of an online friend is pretty awkward. Maybe I should start saying pen pals? Or long-distance friends? Hmmm...

Oh, and today I went to school like any other day and noticed that on almost every wall and door there were some pictures of Charlie Hebdo. Nice to know the older students thought about it.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #2867 on: January 09, 2015, 07:02:04 AM »
Sooo... when you guys learnt about seasons back in the day, they actually told you Winter=Dec, Jan, Feb, instead of Winter=Coldest season of the year? Dude. I thought Tasmanian education was bad.
*shrug* The teachers teaching German children their German (and more) are talking about a "Winter" satisfying both definitions, as speakers of German are nearly nonexistent on the Southern hemisphere. The later English teachers introduce "winter" as the translation of the German "Winter". The geography teachers explain about the seasons being reversed on the Southern hemisphere, but have nothing to do with languages. Net result: Me have no idea how English vocabulary handle equator crossing, and I'ld be hard pressed to pin the blame on one of the three.

(While I am willing to blame my English teachers for being officially sworn to BrE but quite often not even noticing that what they taught was AmE.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2868 on: January 09, 2015, 07:07:16 AM »

Eeeee :3
Many many years! Like, I fully expect that after the Great Cataclysm for there to be clans and survivor settlements called Port Thiscat, the Hushed Pipers, Sunflower Country and Eichton, eventually united through world exploration and joined as the Minniondom. If not my ancient troll self will be very disappointed ;P very disappointed.

Silliness aside, I feel the same way :)
Except I don't get to talk about you guys a lot or I'd be banned from the internet....but, when I do: you're all "friends from uni" ;P
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #2869 on: January 09, 2015, 07:10:33 AM »
Eeeee :3
Many many years! Like, I fully expect that after the Great Cataclysm for there to be clans and survivor settlements called Port Thiscat, the Hushed Pipers, Sunflower Country and Eichton, eventually united through world exploration and joined as the Minniondom. If not my ancient troll self will be very disappointed ;P very disappointed.

Silliness aside, I feel the same way :)
Except I don't get to talk about you guys a lot or I'd be banned from the internet....but, when I do: you're all "friends from uni" ;P

Well, I am a friend, and I am a student, so it's not totally a lie :)
Oh, and Port Thiscat? Hilarious. I love it.
 Mostly quiet.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #2870 on: January 09, 2015, 07:13:26 AM »
Luckily, my family and friends have been longtime used to me having "online friends", so I can talk about you all and why I'm laughing again anytime I like. :)

JoB, I think my middle school class started with BrE, after one or two years we switched officially to AmE (and the textbook's scenes now took place in the USA), and the last year was Australia and some Australian regional distinctions (though I have to admit I forgot about most of that).
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2871 on: January 09, 2015, 07:19:24 AM »
Well, I am a friend, and I am a student, so it's not totally a lie :)
Oh, and Port Thiscat? Hilarious. I love it.
Hehehe yup, technically not a lie! But they DO ask me to elaborate, so you were here last semester on exchange but have returned to Norway, Lenny is at the north campus, Sunflower is "the other Californian", Eich is "in engineering" and when dad asked for more info (he's into machinery and stuff too) I just say "I dunno?" Nimphy was in the other French class, and nearly everyone else here is studying either law, IT or fine arts..... Ahahahhhhhh I'm such a liaaaaaaarrrrrrrr... ;______;

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2872 on: January 09, 2015, 07:21:49 AM »
Hehehe yup, technically not a lie! But they DO ask me to elaborate, so you were here last semester on exchange but have returned to Norway, Lenny is at the north campus, Sunflower is "the other Californian", Eich is "in engineering" and when dad asked for more info (he's into machinery and stuff too) I just say "I dunno?" Nimphy was in the other French class, and nearly everyone else here is studying either law, IT or fine arts..... Ahahahhhhhh I'm such a liaaaaaaarrrrrrrr... ;______;

XD I'm in the "other French class"! I've been suddenly promoted to uni, nice to know! But Owl, what will you do if you ever are asked to invite your friends over for dinner? (Emergency call to Lenny?)

(Oooh, what am I majoring in?) :3
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2873 on: January 09, 2015, 07:26:36 AM »
the Hushed Pipers

Originally known as the Loud Pipers, this group of survivors set out to spread the cheerful squeal of bagpipe music to a world torn asunder. The art of highland music came to be largely unappreciated by the world's ravaged tennants and so the band of outcast came to be known as the "Hushed Pipers".

Or so says the Annals of the World and its People's by the great skald Rowdy Thórfinnr.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #2874 on: January 09, 2015, 07:32:20 AM »
XD I'm in the "other French class"! I've been suddenly promoted to uni, nice to know! But Owl, what will you do if you ever are asked to invite your friends over for dinner? (Emergency call to Lenny?)

I would come if possible (this island is rather big, and we're on opposite sides - it'll take me what, four hours driving? Plus I can't drive so it'll have to be parent/friend/bus), but it would be rather awkward as I'm not actually in the north campus. Or in uni at all, yet. I'm at TAFE. I did, however, take a uni course in year 12 (accounting, focusing on large companies), and a summer school course last year (arts business)... maybe you could use that, Owl?

It might also amuse you that you're known to my family as my friend who lives down close to Hobart, haha. Everyone else is like "friend from Norway, friend from Italy, friend from Germany, etc." - my parents are pretty cool with internet friends XD And this is the coolest bunch of people I've come across on the internet yet, so I can't not talk about you guys with them :D
Am notified of private messages via email.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2875 on: January 09, 2015, 07:34:29 AM »
JoB, I think my middle school class started with BrE, after one or two years we switched officially to AmE (and the textbook's scenes now took place in the USA), and the last year was Australia and some Australian regional distinctions (though I have to admit I forgot about most of that).
Really? Back then we were told that it's Queen's English only because of decision of school administration (which means that it should've been the same at least across the state, NRW), if that's been changed, bonus points to the German school system. But as I said, it's not like my teachers were able to carry out such a decision, anyway - except from the one hailing from Malta I never got in my classes. Every time we had a test, empty lined paper was handed out and the teacher would start dictating the standard header ... "please write on the right half of the first page ... Mumbleuary thirty-second comma nineteenhundredumpteen ..." >:(
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2876 on: January 09, 2015, 07:48:43 AM »

Oh, I think you left the class X'D
Pahahahaha I never invite friends over, haven't for yeeeeeaaaaars, so that wouldn't be a problem..... I hope. Bedsides, most of you guys have gone/ live overseas so we just communicate via email and a nerdy comic chat room ;;;;;P

I would come if possible (this island is rather big, and we're on opposite sides - it'll take me what, four hours driving? Plus I can't drive so it'll have to be parent/friend/bus), but it would be rather awkward as I'm not actually in the north campus. Or in uni at all, yet. I'm at TAFE. I did, however, take a uni course in year 12 (accounting, focusing on large companies), and a summer school course last year (arts business)... maybe you could use that, Owl?

It might also amuse you that you're known to my family as my friend who lives down close to Hobart, haha. Everyone else is like "friend from Norway, friend from Italy, friend from Germany, etc." - my parents are pretty cool with internet friends XD And this is the coolest bunch of people I've come across on the internet yet, so I can't not talk about you guys with them :D
Heheh yeah, I know ;-; hey! if we're ever on each other's side of the state maybe we should go get a cake at Banjos or something X'P because yhhhhmmmmm...crusty pastry, sloppy custard and goopy fruit on the housecakes is just sooooo yummy. /sarcasm

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #2877 on: January 09, 2015, 07:56:07 AM »
Heheh yeah, I know ;-; hey! if we're ever on each other's side of the state maybe we should go get a cake at Banjos or something X'P because yhhhhmmmmm...crusty pastry, sloppy custard and goopy fruit on the housecakes is just sooooo yummy. /sarcasm

If you're ever up here, I know better places than Banjos! (Banjos is always crowded, anyways.) How about an iced chocolate, hmm? In a really nice café with rather comfortable old-fashioned decorations. Or if not, there's a café with board games and comics and things with rather nice iced mochas... or a café/restaurant that is called Fez and is run by the best Turkish cook I have ever come across, and has the most delicious Turkish Delight I have yet tasted...
Am notified of private messages via email.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2878 on: January 09, 2015, 08:04:16 AM »
If you're ever up here, I know better places than Banjos! (Banjos is always crowded, anyways.) How about an iced chocolate, hmm? In a really nice café with rather comfortable old-fashioned decorations. Or if not, there's a café with board games and comics and things with rather nice iced mochas... or a café/restaurant that is called Fez and is run by the best Turkish cook I have ever come across, and has the most delicious Turkish Delight I have yet tasted...
You guys have nice sounding cafés up there ;___; (and Turkish delight oh my gosh really?!? 8D) We just have dusty dark cafés that aren't even comfy :( tacky tacky tacky... Tourist traps etc. but apparently we have the states best sushi? OAO
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:06:57 AM by OrigamiOwl »

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #2879 on: January 09, 2015, 08:21:52 AM »

Owwwl! This is amazing XD  ^^^
 Mostly quiet.