Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424267 times)

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2880 on: January 09, 2015, 08:27:29 AM »
You guys have nice sounding cafés up there ;___; (and Turkish delight oh my gosh really?!? 8D) We just have dusty dark cafés that aren't even comfy :( tacky tacky tacky... Tourist traps etc. but apparently we have the states best sushi? OAO

The only problem with those is that lots of them can't support themselves. Waaaay too many cafés here. One of my favourites closed down a few months ago... ;;_;; It was a retro-style café that was half thrift shop, too (with really cool retro clothes and things), and also had all sorts of options for people who were intolerant to things (so, almond milk, coconut milk, lots of teas, things like that). Fez and the first café I mentioned are here to stay, though, I think. Not sure about the board games one - for the moment it's still here, but I don't know how long it'll last.

If you find out where they're hiding that best sushi, I would appreciate knowing D: Sushi is most delicious.
Am notified of private messages via email.

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #2881 on: January 09, 2015, 08:42:51 AM »
The only problem with those is that lots of them can't support themselves. Waaaay too many cafés here. One of my favourites closed down a few months ago... ;;_;; It was a retro-style café that was half thrift shop, too (with really cool retro clothes and things), and also had all sorts of options for people who were intolerant to things (so, almond milk, coconut milk, lots of teas, things like that). Fez and the first café I mentioned are here to stay, though, I think. Not sure about the board games one - for the moment it's still here, but I don't know how long it'll last.

If you find out where they're hiding that best sushi, I would appreciate knowing D: Sushi is most delicious.
You can google it, and it comes up!

Also: OH MY GOSH. I went on the chat and I must've stumbled down a rabbit hole or something because there is exercise going on?!?! :O I never knew that!!!
I never knew we had a gym!!!
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #2882 on: January 09, 2015, 08:44:54 AM »

Also: OH MY GOSH. I went on the chat and I must've stumbled down a rabbit hole or something because there is exercise going on?!?! :O I never knew that!!!

Wait what

I must go to the chat and discover what this madness is.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2883 on: January 09, 2015, 08:47:22 AM »

...I didn't see anything?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #2884 on: January 09, 2015, 09:01:36 AM »

The chatroom is empty. Are you sure you're in the right chatroom  :P?

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2885 on: January 09, 2015, 09:06:12 AM »
The chatroom is empty. Are you sure you're in the right chatroom  :P?
....yes...? The irc one i think...
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2886 on: January 09, 2015, 10:52:55 AM »
Hehehe yup, technically not a lie! But they DO ask me to elaborate, so you were here last semester on exchange but have returned to Norway, Lenny is at the north campus, Sunflower is "the other Californian", Eich is "in engineering" and when dad asked for more info (he's into machinery and stuff too) I just say "I dunno?" Nimphy was in the other French class, and nearly everyone else here is studying either law, IT or fine arts..... Ahahahhhhhh I'm such a liaaaaaaarrrrrrrr... ;______;

Haha, I love all our cover stories!  I vaguely mumble about "friends of mine" or "I read this thing on the Internet" because my parents don't approve of online friends either.  They think you're all Nigerian oil ministers or former Soviet bloc... ah, companions.  (Apparently the Forum doesn't approve of the practice either -- it won't let me say "mail-order b-r-i-d-e-s.")

But what Californian do you know, that I'm "the other" one?  ;) 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:16:00 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2887 on: January 09, 2015, 11:33:54 AM »
Double post, so sue me. I feel particularly happy and emotional today, so I'll just say it. I love you guys, all of you. You're wonderful and make me actually laugh in joy (that is quite a feat) and I usually go out of a chat session with a big stupid smile. And sometimes forget about unimportant stuff like eating and homework. Meh.

So I'm sending virtual hugs and kisses to all of you and wishing you a good night. (You're not allowed to dodge or escape from my virtual hugs and kisses, you asocial people.)

Awww.  I'm actually choking up a little. 

I happened to stumble across SSSS at a vulnerable time -- I'm between jobs and therefore spending a lot more time at home in front of the computer than is good for me.  So it was a real joy to discover not only an engrossing story with beautiful artwork, but a whole community of such marvelous diversity and genuine warmth.  I really do feel like I can call you "friends."  *takes off and wipes glasses, blows nose.*

OK.  C'mere for your hug, firebird.   :D
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #2888 on: January 09, 2015, 12:06:56 PM »

A couple people on the chat exercise together to challenge each other and keep them motivated. :P Because this fandom is the bestest!

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #2889 on: January 09, 2015, 12:13:06 PM »

I happened to stumble across SSSS at a vulnerable time -- I'm between jobs and therefore spending a lot more time at home in front of the computer than is good for me.  So it was a real joy to discover not only an engrossing story with beautiful artwork, but a whole community of such marvelous diversity and genuine warmth.  I really do feel like I can call you "friends."  *takes off and wipes glasses, blows nose.*

Aaahhhhh me toooo Sunflower! I'm kind of a hermit right now so I'm so happy I have you guys T_T
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2890 on: January 09, 2015, 12:49:47 PM »
Aaahhhhh me toooo Sunflower! I'm kind of a hermit right now so I'm so happy I have you guys T_T

I am so so happy to have found this community, especially at the time I did - just started college, away from my family and often really lonely - and I'm even happier to call you all my friends. (((hugs)))

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

asdasdasd2

• Mostly says meaningless things.
« Reply #2891 on: January 09, 2015, 01:09:32 PM »
Apparently my school decided to ' save paper.' They used to give us worksheets (basically assignments on sheets of printed paper) as homework sometimes. Suddenly they stopped distributing them. They said 'to save paper, we are now uploading ALL worksheets to our website. We expect you to CHECK THE WEBSITE DAILY AND BRING PRINTOUTS OF THE WORKSHEETS THE FOLLOWING DAY.'

Dear school, can you please tell me HOW does this SAVE PAPER?? To make matters worse, half of us students don't even have internet or printers.

I seriously hate my school.
English, Hindi, Punjabi.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2892 on: January 09, 2015, 01:26:36 PM »
Dear school, can you please tell me HOW does this SAVE PAPER??
Well, I presume that those who don't do their homework in the first place won't print the sheets, either ... Still not the smartest move, though, considering that it adds "my printer broke" "my ink/toner ran out" "our Internet broke" etc. etc. to the list of usable cop-outs.

May I suggest that you and your youthful, better eyesight help your school saving paper by printing in n-up mode ... ? >:D

(On a somewhat more serious note, and assuming that we're at least partially talking about textual answers, why the %&§!! don't they accept the filled-out sheets back by e-mail or website upload if they want to see paper saved!?)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

asdasdasd2

• Mostly says meaningless things.
« Reply #2893 on: January 09, 2015, 01:42:35 PM »
Well, I presume that those who don't do their homework in the first place won't print the sheets, either ... Still not the smartest move, though, considering that it adds "my printer broke" "my ink/toner ran out" "our Internet broke" etc. etc. to the list of usable cop-outs.

May I suggest that you and your youthful, better eyesight help your school saving paper by printing in n-up mode ... ? >:D

(On a somewhat more serious note, and assuming that we're at least partially talking about textual answers, why the %&§!! don't they accept the filled-out sheets back by e-mail or website upload if they want to see paper saved!?)
We did ask them that. They said that "anyone can copy that sort of a document. How will were know if the student did it on their own?" Yeah, like someone cannot copy a written document...
I just think that the school wants more money. All my classmates agree too.
English, Hindi, Punjabi.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2894 on: January 09, 2015, 02:54:52 PM »

OK.  C'mere for your hug, firebird.   :D

well october prooved to be the first breakdown due to overdoing work... so stumbling over you guys did a lot of good to me because I found some stuff to keep my brain working and relaxing the same time (yesyes, the ever hardworking germans, relaxing with other work...) now around christmas you guys kept me up. Friends (Real live people) are taking care of me, too, though around here I can have contact and be a-social the same time. Meaning I do not need to bother with voices, faces or body contact but still can exchange stories with people. Which is kinda nice after doing emotional work half of the day. Somehow this keeps me going for work, getting things out better. Dunno why this works but it works. So thanks for that :). I will not spread around hugs :D but am happy to be here.

Apparently my school decided to ' save paper.' They used to give us worksheets (basically assignments on sheets of printed paper) as homework sometimes. Suddenly they stopped distributing them. They said 'to save paper, we are now uploading ALL worksheets to our website. We expect you to CHECK THE WEBSITE DAILY AND BRING PRINTOUTS OF THE WORKSHEETS THE FOLLOWING DAY.'

Dear school, can you please tell me HOW does this SAVE PAPER?? To make matters worse, half of us students don't even have internet or printers.

I seriously hate my school

ahhh... sounds like state cut money and they just want to save paper for themselves... Schools around here sometimes come up with dumb stuff like that. I am fond of handwriting :D. Needs some time to puzzle out but you see who tried to copy whom and whether they succeeded or not. If the copy is done well, I let them know I know what they did, but do not chase the matter any further :D
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information