Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387987 times)

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18285 on: July 27, 2018, 09:15:46 AM »
I dunno, when I went to Finland I found the people there very pleasant, pretty open and talkative, but in a non-annoying way. I really don't know what that means Aspergers-wise, but for me it was pretty clear that foreign cultures take the Finnish stereotypes way too far sometimes (and sometimes Finns do it too for the lulz), and it all should be taken with a grain of salt. For instance, they don't seem like "cold" people to me at all. For whatever's worth, I went for holidays during summer, and all my interactions there have been as a tourist, maybe I'd feel different if I actually lived and worked there.

Also full disclosure, I do get Aspie scores on most autism tests, though I haven't sought an official diagnosis, so make what you will out of the fact that I felt very comfortable in Finland  ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 09:18:00 AM by Sc0ut »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18286 on: July 27, 2018, 12:47:44 PM »
Sc0ut, I spent time in Finland on several occasions, at different seasons, decades ago. I wasn't exactly a tourist, since I was there doing my usual thing of observing rocks and plants, and doing odd bits of work. I found the people fine, quiet but pleasant. And the odd thing happened to me there that happens to me in many places: I would be quietly sitting or standing somewhere, or working quietly away at something, when a random person would come up to me and start telling me things, which might be anything from their life story to the obscure information I was seeking about some obscure tree. I seem to be a person to whom people tell things.

But I liked Finland, the people, the weather and the feel of the land.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18287 on: July 28, 2018, 02:36:30 AM »
Well, here's my results on a 'Big Five' personality inventory I did lately...

And I'm a diagnosed Aspie, so... :'D

Is it a coincidence that they have coloured Neuroticism purple, Purple Wyrm?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #18288 on: July 28, 2018, 09:44:44 PM »
Is it a coincidence that they have coloured Neuroticism purple, Purple Wyrm?

Stop that! You're messing me up!! :'D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Zami

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #18289 on: July 29, 2018, 12:54:06 PM »
There were some strange bugs reported from Google Translate earlier this week where putting repeating strings in and asking to translate them from Maori resulted in weird, sometimes biblical-themed nonsense.

"dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog dog" for instance was coming out as "Doomsday clock is three minutes at twelve We are experiencing Characters and a dramatic developments in the world, which indicate that we are increasingly approaching the end times and Jesus' return"

Apparently this was the result of Google's Maori translator program being trained on a rather small corpus of works, including the Bible. Sadly it was fixed almost as soon as news started to spread, so no one can have fun with it any more (although I imagine the Maori community are somewhat relieved!)

as far as I know, something similar has been going out with Somali language for quite some time. I just got "orbut may not be able to do so either orally or in a reasonable way. either by virtue of this Agreement or in connection with this Agreement. unless otherwise provided by applicable law or regulation, but not on the part of the employee. whether or not you will not be able to do so." by writing da ra ra repeatedly. Apparently sometimes you can get personal information this way.

Don't use google translate kids.
~polish potato~
Fluent: :poland: :uk:
Kinda: :france: :japan: :germany:
What: :russia: :finland:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #18290 on: July 30, 2018, 11:47:07 AM »
Ugh. Hot weather is so weird. It's not yet at "physically unbearable" levels, it's just that I never feel fully awake no matter how much coffee I drink, my brain is slow, my limbs feel like there's lead instead of blood running through them, and it's near impossible to be productive. I'd love to do like other self-employed people and sleep during the day, but unfortunately I live close enough to an airport that all flights that take off wake me up. Just one more month, hopefully...

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #18291 on: July 30, 2018, 12:50:57 PM »
Ugh. Hot weather is so weird. It's not yet at "physically unbearable" levels, it's just that I never feel fully awake no matter how much coffee I drink, my brain is slow, my limbs feel like there's lead instead of blood running through them, and it's near impossible to be productive. I'd love to do like other self-employed people and sleep during the day, but unfortunately I live close enough to an airport that all flights that take off wake me up. Just one more month, hopefully...

Hot and humid weather is even worse. I'm fairly certain the air where I live is liquid at this point...
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #18292 on: July 30, 2018, 09:27:10 PM »
Hot and humid weather is even worse. I'm fairly certain the air where I live is liquid at this point...

D: Stay safe guys! Are fans/dehumidifiers/cold drinks an option?
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #18293 on: July 31, 2018, 12:39:48 AM »
D: Stay safe guys! Are fans/dehumidifiers/cold drinks an option?

Just cold drinks for now! But I figured out why I felt so awful yesterday. I was good old sun fatigue, because I had the audacity to walk in direct sun for a while during morning. I foolishly thought it would be okay because it was around 10 am so not the worst time to be out, but that was a mistake  ;D Since we got unusually cool weather during this summer up until now, my body wasn't used to the sudden heat. I always get this reaction (lethargy) as my body adjusts to summer temperatures each year, but it's just that first day of walking in extreme sun and then I'm fine (with sensible precautions).

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #18294 on: July 31, 2018, 12:49:14 AM »
I could have sworn I put my glasses on my nightstand like usual last night, but come this morning there was no sign of them. So I am now at the office coding away in my prescription sunglasses, which while no doubt looking all cool and Matrix-like is extremely annoying.

I'm not sure whether to blame borrowers, aliens or literate rats.

LATER: Huzzah! They turned out to be (somehow) tangled up in my bedsheets! I can see again! :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:36:51 AM by Purple Wyrm »

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #18295 on: July 31, 2018, 07:40:12 AM »
Two random things...

1: If you haven't looked at the night sky of late, do it! Mars and Venus look AMAZING at the moment! They should be visible not long after sundown with Venus in the west and Mars in the east.

2: Apparently it is possible to train cats!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #18296 on: July 31, 2018, 11:31:05 AM »
I'm not sure whether to blame borrowers, aliens or literate rats
LATER: Huzzah! They turned out to be (somehow) tangled up in my bedsheets!
So, are your bedsheets grabby, extraterrestrial, literate, or all of the above now? >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #18297 on: July 31, 2018, 09:18:38 PM »
So, are your bedsheets grabby, extraterrestrial, literate, or all of the above now? >:D

I don't know, and am greatly afraid ;D

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #18298 on: August 02, 2018, 08:52:42 AM »
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #18299 on: August 02, 2018, 12:16:02 PM »
I could have sworn I put my glasses on my nightstand like usual last night, but come this morning there was no sign of them. So I am now at the office coding away in my prescription sunglasses, which while no doubt looking all cool and Matrix-like is extremely annoying.

I'm not sure whether to blame borrowers, aliens or literate rats.

LATER: Huzzah! They turned out to be (somehow) tangled up in my bedsheets! I can see again! :D

I always keep a 2nd pair at work in case I break the primary pair. Or as is more often the case forget to bring them...
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams