Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387212 times)

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18225 on: June 19, 2018, 01:07:37 AM »
Another rec I have for this weirdly specific niche genre: Shoot Around, which is about a high school girls basketball team caught in the zombie apocalypse and it's also pretty gay-heavy and character focused. Also, the art is really pretty. It's complete/no longer updating, but the whole archive is there.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #18226 on: June 20, 2018, 08:03:48 PM »
Happy solstice everyone!

It's the shortest day of the year, and suitably cold  here in the south :D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #18227 on: June 20, 2018, 09:35:15 PM »
Happy solstice everyone!

It's the shortest day of the year, and suitably cold  here in the south :D

.... that explains why today seems to be dragging on.... oh wait that's tomorrow for us up here.

Also was the forum down for anyone else just now?
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18228 on: June 20, 2018, 10:51:11 PM »
Also was the forum down for anyone else just now?

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I got distracted by other internet things (while I was checking to make sure it wasn't an issue with my connection), and by the time I got back, it was back up!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #18229 on: June 22, 2018, 01:13:53 AM »
So, what did everyone do to survive the Great Forum Outage of 2018? :))

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18230 on: June 22, 2018, 03:22:11 AM »
So, what did everyone do to survive the Great Forum Outage of 2018? :))
I was at work, so wasn't supposed to be checking it. But as a mod I made a responsible attempt to figure out what I could (which was bupkus) and kept responsible tabs on the situation, because I'm responsible like that.  O:-)
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Zami

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #18231 on: June 22, 2018, 03:40:26 AM »
I survived by sleeping through it. And dreaming about a cleaning lady from my work - she was slamming my telephone on a desk and she broke it and couldn't understand what she did wrong.
Then I woke up, without having a chance to explain to her that she shouldn't be destroying people's phones, and I was so angry at her that I went back to sleep just so I could go back to the dream and reprimand her.

And that's the story on how my brain tricked me to oversleep yet again :v Do you think it's some sort of a mechanic against being sleep deprived? because it's not the first time I was convinced that I need to go back to dreaming
~polish potato~
Fluent: :poland: :uk:
Kinda: :france: :japan: :germany:
What: :russia: :finland:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #18232 on: June 22, 2018, 10:10:02 AM »
snip
Do you think it's some sort of a mechanic against being sleep deprived? because it's not the first time I was convinced that I need to go back to dreaming

I've done that after waking from an upsetting dream. Go back to sleep with the idea to continue the dream and make things turn out better. Usually works quite well.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18233 on: June 22, 2018, 08:31:16 PM »
because it's not the first time I was convinced that I need to go back to dreaming
I've done that after waking from an upsetting dream. Go back to sleep with the idea to continue the dream and make things turn out better. Usually works quite well.
Never works for me, especially for the sexy dreams.  8(
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Solokov

« Reply #18234 on: June 24, 2018, 02:10:05 AM »
I was mostly at work.

Unrelated, I went camping on the neighboring forest to where I'm working on this season near a peculiar area doing a little thing some people on another forum I frequent call a S*T*A*L*K*E*R challenge. Goal of it is to combine camping with urbex and seek out cool things, also occasionally to seek out cryptids or straight up anomalous events.

Anyway, picture the setting, four corners region of the US, high desert with mostly sandstone canyons, scrubby oaks, short pinyons and the occasional stunted ponderosa pine. In a more flattened out canyon in the early 1950s, someone got a wild hair up their brain and decided to use a nuclear device to fracture oil and gas deposits....

It went about as well as one could be expected, the pocket that was created was mostly glass and sealed the majority of the fracturing, and what natural gas was yielded was ultimately irradiated and unusable.

fast forward to 2018, the majority of the buildings are gone, there's an interactive interpretive display, and a concrete shed that allows for some cover. That's where I ultimately made my camp bringing with me a tent, some food a compound bow because I was able to get archery tags for turkey, and an sks rifle in case I needed to deter something since mountain lions and bears are not unknown in the area. Friday was uneventful, saturday too, though I did got hiking between downpours and nailed a wild turkey with my compound bow. On Sunday morning as I was packing up I found an odd rock, geologically it made no sense for it to be there... so I kept it.

I've tentatively id'd it as Silica Carbide and am fairly certain it's not radioactive but I plan to take it in to the office on Monday when the district geologist can take a look at it (also we have friskers there and I can confirm whether it's not radioactive or if it's been slowly killing me this whole time)

I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #18235 on: June 24, 2018, 03:34:48 AM »
In any case, it's quite beautiful.
That sounds like one interesting and satisfying challenge.

Zami

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #18236 on: June 24, 2018, 05:28:04 AM »
I was mostly at work.

Unrelated, I went camping on the neighboring forest to where I'm working on this season near a peculiar area doing a little thing some people on another forum I frequent call a S*T*A*L*K*E*R challenge. Goal of it is to combine camping with urbex and seek out cool things, also occasionally to seek out cryptids or straight up anomalous events.

Anyway, picture the setting, four corners region of the US, high desert with mostly sandstone canyons, scrubby oaks, short pinyons and the occasional stunted ponderosa pine. In a more flattened out canyon in the early 1950s, someone got a wild hair up their brain and decided to use a nuclear device to fracture oil and gas deposits....

It went about as well as one could be expected, the pocket that was created was mostly glass and sealed the majority of the fracturing, and what natural gas was yielded was ultimately irradiated and unusable.

fast forward to 2018, the majority of the buildings are gone, there's an interactive interpretive display, and a concrete shed that allows for some cover. That's where I ultimately made my camp bringing with me a tent, some food a compound bow because I was able to get archery tags for turkey, and an sks rifle in case I needed to deter something since mountain lions and bears are not unknown in the area. Friday was uneventful, saturday too, though I did got hiking between downpours and nailed a wild turkey with my compound bow. On Sunday morning as I was packing up I found an odd rock, geologically it made no sense for it to be there... so I kept it.

I've tentatively id'd it as Silica Carbide and am fairly certain it's not radioactive but I plan to take it in to the office on Monday when the district geologist can take a look at it (also we have friskers there and I can confirm whether it's not radioactive or if it's been slowly killing me this whole time)

ohh you do urbex? awesome :D sounds like really fun challenge.
it does look like silica carbide. Most radioactive minerals are looking rather dull or have green/yellow color, and they aren't dangerous. I've had a radioactive mineral in my room for quite some time and I'm still alive :D
~polish potato~
Fluent: :poland: :uk:
Kinda: :france: :japan: :germany:
What: :russia: :finland:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18237 on: June 24, 2018, 05:38:57 AM »
Solokov, that is a pretty rock. Get it checked out as soon as you are able. Looks as if it would polish up prettily, but don't make the mistake Marie Curie did.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #18238 on: June 24, 2018, 09:00:42 AM »
In a more flattened out canyon in the early 1950s, someone got a wild hair up their brain and decided to use a nuclear device to fracture oil and gas deposits....

Ah yes! Project Plowshare! When the US government had so many nukes lying around they decided to get creative with them. Thankfully they didn't end up nuking a highway route across the Mojave desert, digging out a harbour in Alaska (with nukes) or rearranging the topography of the Sacremento valley (with nukes) to enhance water collection.

Fantastic rock!

Solokov

« Reply #18239 on: June 24, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »
ohh you do urbex? awesome :D sounds like really fun challenge.
it does look like silica carbide. Most radioactive minerals are looking rather dull or have green/yellow color, and they aren't dangerous. I've had a radioactive mineral in my room for quite some time and I'm still alive :D

A moderate amount, I try to keep from trespassing though because part of the stalker challenge is to bring a firearm along, and having one usually kicks trespassing from a misdemeanor to a felony in most states. Aren't dangerous unless you do stupid things with them.... *is fairly certain I tore apart a uranite sample when I was a kid and may have chewed on one of the crystals*

it's only in retrospect by about 20 years that I Id'd the rock in question I may be wrong.... to be fair I was always doing dumb stuff. my mom has a story about how when I was only 18 months old I managed to figure out ladders and was toddling around on the roof.

Looks as if it would polish up prettily

Seems to be rather fragile and unconducive to polishing.

or rearranging the topography of the Sacremento valley (with nukes) to enhance water collection.

Like california needed more issues with it's water delivery systems than failing to complete it.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,