Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410982 times)

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2730 on: January 02, 2015, 11:44:46 PM »
Who knows, maybe the people near me just had really, really bad hangovers...

Or they could just enjoy making noise. There's someone in one of the nearby valleys who shoots off stuff at completely random times of the year. You can hear it miles away. (That's how we know it's coming from the valley in addition to the sound coming from that direction: it echoes off the hills.)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2731 on: January 02, 2015, 11:53:11 PM »
Who knows, maybe the people near me just had really, really bad hangovers...
Loud noises and hangovers don't usually go well with each other, I've heard.

Or they could just enjoy making noise. There's someone in one of the nearby valleys who shoots off stuff at completely random times of the year. You can hear it miles away. (That's how we know it's coming from the valley in addition to the sound coming from that direction: it echoes off the hills.)
We have a military fort nearby that used to shoot off canons every now and then, in the middle of the night.  It was weird and I have no idea why they would practice such a loud activity at such an unreasonable hour.  I think they've since changed the time.  Thankfully we don't live too terribly close but, it was probably quite a nuisance for some of the people who lived closer.
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2732 on: January 03, 2015, 12:00:12 AM »
Loud noises and hangovers don't usually go well with each other, I've heard.

Exactly. So naturally, 9:30 PM January 2nd would be an appropriate time to shoot off fireworks.

We have a military fort nearby that used to shoot off canons every now and then, in the middle of the night.  It was weird and I have no idea why they would practice such a loud activity at such an unreasonable hour.  I think they've since changed the time.  Thankfully we don't live too terribly close but, it was probably quite a nuisance for some of the people who lived closer.

Nothin' says "American" more than making lots of unnecessary noise. I can't recall having neighbors like that, unless they moved in while I was gone. Welp, I'll never know.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2733 on: January 03, 2015, 12:27:21 AM »
Exactly. So naturally, 9:30 PM January 2nd would be an appropriate time to shoot off fireworks.

Nothin' says "American" more than making lots of unnecessary noise. I can't recall having neighbors like that, unless they moved in while I was gone. Welp, I'll never know.
Aaaahhhhh, now I understand.  Post-hangover. 

I just play my guitar quietly and try not to bother anyone... 
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2734 on: January 03, 2015, 12:40:36 AM »
Guys... I kinda feel dumb that I hadn't noticed it before but... I just now saw the face on Hippo-Shrimp... and holy s**t, man... 0_0

EDIT:
<--(that was my face)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:14:33 AM by Piney »

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2735 on: January 03, 2015, 01:09:38 AM »
Guys... I kinda feel dumb that I hadn't noticed it before but... I just now saw the face on Hippo-Shrimp... and holy s**t, man... 0_0
Don't worry, it took me a few months, too.
And YES.  Ohhh my gosh, Minna, what happened to you as a child??  Did she have a "Stand By Me" adventure searching for a corpse with delinquent friends while being chased by a psychopathic teenager?
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2736 on: January 03, 2015, 01:20:10 AM »
Don't worry, it took me a few months, too.
And YES.  Ohhh my gosh, Minna, what happened to you as a child??  Did she have a "Stand By Me" adventure searching for a corpse with delinquent friends while being chased by a psychopathic teenager?
*shudders* Yeah, dunno how well I'll be sleeping tonight. Way to go brain, realizing this at 12:40 AM... -_-

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2737 on: January 03, 2015, 04:02:45 AM »
Ugh. I just heard someone shoot off, like, seven fireworks. It's the second day of January, people, yeesh...  :P
Considering that fireworks (and before that, any noise you could make) were originally meant to scare nasty spirits away, we might want to assume that that guy isn't too happy about how 2015 started for him and would love to get shipped right back into 2014. ;)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2738 on: January 03, 2015, 04:15:51 AM »
We have a military fort nearby that used to shoot off canons every now and then, in the middle of the night.  It was weird and I have no idea why they would practice such a loud activity at such an unreasonable hour.
We're near a military airfield, nobody likes flying in the nights very much, but it has to be done to some extent for practice, I presume. (And I guess that the designers of military airplanes would have a good laugh if you were to suggest modern low-noise (passenger plane) jet engines. ::) )

But artillery? Unless you have some very special nighttime winds ... and even then, AFAIK it'ld just be doing the math somewhat differently, no need to fire the thing ... hmm, any chance they believe there's some actual enemies they need to shoot at? ???
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2739 on: January 03, 2015, 02:33:59 PM »
Ever wondered why cats sprint out of the room for apparently no reason?

watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvOtUh8Avi8

(it should have less then 72 characters)
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2740 on: January 03, 2015, 04:55:01 PM »
Today I went ice skating with my little cousins. It was both bothersome and awesome. It was the first time I almost didn't fall at all (okay, so I did fall twice by myself and once thanks to a cousin, but it's progress), we taught one of them how to skate all on his own, had a lot of fun and I generally behaved like a good cousin. I lent the older one my gloves, teased him because they were girly gloves ("Come here, miss, let's circle the rink again!"),  held the little one's hand so she wouldn't start crying because she had fallen again and stuff. Gosh, I'm such a horrible person. Being happy because I was gentle and did what every cousin must do  :P
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2741 on: January 03, 2015, 05:30:15 PM »
Today I went ice skating with my little cousins. It was both bothersome and awesome. It was the first time I almost didn't fall at all (okay, so I did fall twice by myself and once thanks to a cousin, but it's progress), we taught one of them how to skate all on his own, had a lot of fun and I generally behaved like a good cousin. I lent the older one my gloves, teased him because they were girly gloves ("Come here, miss, let's circle the rink again!"),  held the little one's hand so she wouldn't start crying because she had fallen again and stuff. Gosh, I'm such a horrible person. Being happy because I was gentle and did what every cousin must do  :P
Cousins are fun to hang out with.  Sounds like a good day over all, though!
I used to haaaaate one of my cousins.  She's younger, and she used to do all kinds of annoying things.  She even put pickles in my drink one time... That was not very nice.  But then we just suddenly started getting along one day, and now she's one of my favorite people to hang out with when I'm home.

My sister is making fun of Australian accents, now.  She says she doesn't like the accent.  :O

Edit: I was just playing with my niece, and I got her to laugh!  ;D. Babies are the most awesome things in the universe!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 05:38:32 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2742 on: January 03, 2015, 06:11:16 PM »
Cousins are fun to hang out with.  Sounds like a good day over all, though!
I used to haaaaate one of my cousins.  She's younger, and she used to do all kinds of annoying things.  She even put pickles in my drink one time... That was not very nice.  But then we just suddenly started getting along one day, and now she's one of my favorite people to hang out with when I'm home.

My sister is making fun of Australian accents, now.  She says she doesn't like the accent.  :O

Edit: I was just playing with my niece, and I got her to laugh!  ;D. Babies are the most awesome things in the universe!

Ah, cousins. I've never gotten along too well with any of mine, never been too close with them. Also, they're all boys and we have basically nothing in common anyway. We've learned not to bother each other, though, so they aren't nearly as bad as they were when we were kids.
Ha, I like babies in theory, and they're cute n' all, but I just never know what to do around them. Like, you can't talk to babies or anything, and sometimes they'll just stare at you and I'm like, "What? What do you want?" ...Clearly I have no innate motherly instincts.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #2743 on: January 03, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »
My sister spread 76 balloons over the carpet in the rec room and told my brother and I not to play with them. I'm sorry, how can we not play with them?

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2744 on: January 03, 2015, 06:21:05 PM »
Ah, cousins. I've never gotten along too well with any of mine, never been too close with them. Also, they're all boys and we have basically nothing in common anyway. We've learned not to bother each other, though, so they aren't nearly as bad as they were when we were kids.
Ha, I like babies in theory, and they're cute n' all, but I just never know what to do around them. Like, you can't talk to babies or anything, and sometimes they'll just stare at you and I'm like, "What? What do you want?" ...Clearly I have no innate motherly instincts.
Most of my cousins are like 20 years older than me, or more, so my two cousins my age are always people I enjoy being with.  The elder one is a girl, but she and I are very alike: both quiet and introverted, both into the arts, but she's usually more energetic than me.  The boy is just growing.  His voice used to be all squeaky and high pitched, but now it's deeper than mine.  o__o. Either way, it's fun watching the learn and mature.

My sister spread 76 balloons over the carpet in the rec room and told my brother and I not to play with them. I'm sorry, how can we not play with them?
Play with them. 
It's your destiny.
Feel free to PM.