Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387518 times)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2670 on: December 30, 2014, 11:54:19 AM »
I had a bit of fun with my post and the deletia. It consistently vanishes whenever I re-edit it and add back the last line, which was a link to ...www.chili-shop24.de/geschenkideen/920/splat-chili-zahnpasta-shock-extra-scharf .

ohhh. We did not want to hurt him :D
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #2671 on: December 30, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »
ohhh. We did not want to hurt him :D
The not-really-hurtful version, then? ;)

http://www.chili-shop24.de/fan-artikel-und-praemien (connect these two) 791/splat-chili-spezial-zahnpasta-75ml?c=82
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:23:57 PM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2672 on: December 30, 2014, 12:10:47 PM »

Haha oh no! X'D my parents had me believing the old toothbrushes in the cupboard were for cleaning the toilets...but looking back, that's a very impractical cleaning method so I think they were telling porkies and just used the toothbrushes for sinks n stuff ;P

Wow, Cockney rhyming slang survives in the oddest places.  (IIRC, "pork pies" = "lies"?  My only knowledge of rhyming slang comes from program notes to "My Fair Lady.")
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2673 on: December 30, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »
Quote from: Sunflower
Wow, Cockney rhyming slang survives in the oddest places.  (IIRC, "pork pies" = "lies"?  My only knowledge of rhyming slang comes from program notes to "My Fair Lady.")
I guess it does o__O
Dad likes to use "dead horse" all the time too. And there's an old Goanna/Joanna in the living room, but it'd take too much bread and honey to make her work properly ;P
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 06:23:24 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #2674 on: December 30, 2014, 06:50:36 PM »
It's not that odd. Australia is English, and much newer than the U.S.A. or Canada. And there was a huge influx of English (and other European, but those who actually stayed were overwhelmingly mainly English) immigrants after WWII and later, mostly of middle and lower class. To my mind it would be stranger if there weren't any remnants of it.
Am notified of private messages via email.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2675 on: December 30, 2014, 06:57:52 PM »
Quote from: Lenny
It's not that odd. Australia is English, and much newer than the U.S.A. or Canada. And there was a huge influx of English (and other European, but those who actually stayed were overwhelmingly mainly English) immigrants after WWII and later, mostly of middle and lower class. To my mind it would be stranger if there weren't any remnants of it.
Yeah...it's be so weird if it wasn't around O__O

My only knowledge of rhyming slang comes from program notes to "My Fair Lady."
Hehehe my sister and I tend to quote that a lot u____u particularly when we're in town: some of the things you hear just make you wanna take out a notebook and write down "Gaaaaaaarn" (<-- our favourite quote ;P also used as code for "my golly did you hear that dreadful pronunciation??")
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:19:21 PM by OrigamiOwl »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #2676 on: December 30, 2014, 10:40:59 PM »
Dad likes to use "dead horse" all the time too. And there's an old Goanna/Joanna in the living room, but it'd take too much bread and honey to make her work properly ;P

"bread and honey" = money, right?
The other expressions, I have no idea of.  We say "beating a dead horse" for "continuing to pour useless effort/discussion into a closed topic," but I doubt that's what your dad means.

Hanging out with you and your sisters sounds hilarious!  Do you imitate Henry Higgins with the little xylophone, teaching Eliza: "How kind of you to let me come"?  Or tell each other, "Oi'm a *good* girl, Oi am!"

And speaking of speech therapy malpractice, do you know the scenes from "Singin' in the Rain"?
"I cay-int stee-ind him!"
/>"Moses supposes his toeses are roses."
/>
I want Gene Kelly to be my boyfriend.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2677 on: December 31, 2014, 12:13:19 AM »
"bread and honey" = money, right?
The other expressions, I have no idea of.  We say "beating a dead horse" for "continuing to pour useless effort/discussion into a closed topic," but I doubt that's what your dad means.

Hanging out with you and your sisters sounds hilarious!  Do you imitate Henry Higgins with the little xylophone, teaching Eliza: "How kind of you to let me come"?  Or tell each other, "Oi'm a *good* girl, Oi am!"

I want Gene Kelly to be my boyfriend.
Dead horse is tomato sauce, and a goanna is a piano X3
We have a modified expression of someone dragging a dead horse to water, which kinda lumps both the horse sayings together :P

My sisters and I have the code word "cheers" which means "an attractive guy" which stems from this one time a ridiculously good looking guy said "cheers" to us for no reason, and we thought it was hilarious because we're losers X'D

Do any other forumites have their own weird code words for things? I know Eich sometimes calls a bus a dog because of the company name, which is pretty cool. But are there....others...?

I think I'll sign off here and wish you guys an early Happy New Year: I'm going tooooo the beeeeeaaaach and there is no signal most of the time :/

Edit: my gosh! How much are we packing?! Well, if a rash apocalypse occurs over New Years...Sunflower knows where to find my attempt at a troll-free settlement X'D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:47:39 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #2678 on: December 31, 2014, 12:26:30 AM »
Do any other forumites have their own weird code words for things? I know Eich sometimes calls a bus a dog because of the company name, which is pretty cool. But are there....others...?

I think I'll sign off here and wish you guys an early Happy New Year: I'm going tooooo the beeeeeaaaach and there is no signal most of the time :/

Haha, my extended family practically has its own idiolect.  When you get back, I'm happy to share details.  Meanwhile, have a great time at the beach, and Happy 2015!

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2679 on: December 31, 2014, 12:55:56 AM »

Can't really think of any examples at the moment, but my grandma calls all brands of tissues "Kleenex", the same way "Band-Aid" is practically universal for adhesive bandages.

(and Happy New Year to you, Owl :))

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #2680 on: December 31, 2014, 05:22:58 AM »
My family's secret weird code mostly comes from dialect (Plattdeutsch) which only my grandmother really speaks.
And there are some expressions that got stuck after someone missspoke - like "Kreusel" ("Streusel" + "Krümel", those little chocolate crumbles which you can put on you dessert - they're originally Dutch) and "Eine Cose Dola bitte" ("Eine Dose Cola bitte" - A can of coke, please).
And the hilarious "Womwa?" which my mother uses when we're on a trip (veery shortened form of "Wollen wir gehen?" Shall we go?)

Happy New Year to everyone who already has it, and a good start into 2015 for everyone who is still waiting for it (Guten Rutsch!*)

*in German, you don't say Happy New Year before 24:00.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2681 on: December 31, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »

Happy New Year to everyone who already has it, and a good start into 2015 for everyone who is still waiting for it (Guten Rutsch!*)

*in German, you don't say Happy New Year before 24:00.

Also "Guter Rutsch" derives from the Jiddish "Gud Rosch". People said that to wish you for a good start into the new year.

We use no secret codes though.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

JoB

« Reply #2682 on: December 31, 2014, 08:05:47 AM »
Also "Guter Rutsch" derives from the Jiddish "Gud Rosch".
Actually, that proposed etymology has been found to be dubitable in the meantime ...
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guten_Rutsch

Anyway, whether you take it as the rosch (head - of the new year) coming over you, yourself having a Rutsch (trip) into it, or just the Earth and its timezones pirouetting under your feet, have a pleasurable one, everyone! :)
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2683 on: December 31, 2014, 08:25:14 AM »
Actually, that proposed etymology has been found to be dubitable in the meantime ...
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guten_Rutsch

Anyway, whether you take it as the rosch (head - of the new year) coming over you, yourself having a Rutsch (trip) into it, or just the Earth and its timezones pirouetting under your feet, have a pleasurable one, everyone! :)

I read that but... granny had that from jewish descendants so I believe her :D around here we still got some time left of the old year though :)

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

JoB

« Reply #2684 on: December 31, 2014, 08:42:24 AM »
around here we still got some time left of the old year though :)
And speaking of the time left to tick down on the clock ... happy 51st birthday, Dinner for One! :D

(Yes, I'm linking to the "German" version on purpose, though it's blocked for German users. :( Lookie here for others. And yes, it's the 51st birthday of it on TV, the actual sketch has been on stage a bit longer.)